Towing laws revisited

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Slim Chestnut

Towing laws revisited

Post by Slim Chestnut »

'Oh Bill,

You hit a nail on the head about the laws "not making sense". I noticed that line about having the brkes "connected" also. Years ago it was done by actually having a flexible brake line bridging the gap and physically connecting the two hydraulic systems. i remember my dad towing from Atlanta Georgia to Knoxville that way once. What a kludge

Nevertheless some of these chaarts and spreadsheets do try to make sense out of the various and UNSTANDARDIZED laws from state to state.

My personal experience is that if  a trooper pulls you over a non commercial vehicle and inspects the setup and thinks it is operating safely he/she rarely will write a ticket. On the other hand if the setup looks shoddy or dangerous even IF it agrees with the written law you will get a ticket or at least a warning.

I just think folks need to know that there are laws. Most states regulate towing even when they do no specifically regulate towing  4 wheels down.

I have been pulled over twice in Texas for seat belt violations and they never even glanced at my tow setup. The thought a nice looking rig should have shoulder belts. My 93 does not and frankly i am glad.

Slim.

--
Got good friends and loving family? You are wealthy.
1993 Safari Continental 37, Cummings/Allison

'