Slide adjustment

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
jimbettner

Slide adjustment

Post by jimbettner »

'I have a 2000 Continental Panther which when the living area slide is retracted, the lower left corner is out about 3/4" and the other 3 corners are tight. Does anyone have any experience wtih this situation and/or history of adjusting the slides. Thanks, Jim Bettner / 2000 Panther-Blue Ox w/ 2010 Escape Hybrid.'
Fred Broussard

Re: Slide adjustment

Post by Fred Broussard »

'Regarding uneven slide operation:Check the rack and jack shaft as well as the hydraulic ram that pulls and pushes the slide in and out.A carrier bearing could be broken on one end causing the rack to no longer engage with the gear on the jack shaft. I once had that problem and replaced the carrier bearing on the front end of shaft.Another issue...very important to check is clearance between the front end of the jack shaft and the driver side front tire. Some shafts extended too far forward and could puncture the tire when hitting a large bump that compressed the suspension more than normal. I had to cut the hand crank hex end off my jack shaft to increase clearance. 

Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 1, 2012, at 10:42 PM, "jimbettner" wrote:

I have a 2000 Continental Panther which when the living area slide is retracted, the lower left corner is out about 3/4" and the other 3 corners are tight. Does anyone have any experience wtih this situation and/or history of adjusting the slides. Thanks, Jim Bettner / 2000 Panther-Blue Ox w/ 2010 Escape Hybrid.

'
Fred Broussard

Post by Fred Broussard »

'Oops..forgot to sign my note about "uneven slide operation".Fred1999 Safari Connie115,000 miles3126B CAT

Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 1, 2012, at 10:42 PM, "jimbettner" wrote:

I have a 2000 Continental Panther which when the living area slide is retracted, the lower left corner is out about 3/4" and the other 3 corners are tight. Does anyone have any experience wtih this situation and/or history of adjusting the slides. Thanks, Jim Bettner / 2000 Panther-Blue Ox w/ 2010 Escape Hybrid.

'
Jim Bettner

Post by Jim Bettner »

'Thanks, I’ll check all of that as soon as I get home next week.  Are these part available and do you know of any sources?  I appreciate the heads up.Jim   2000 Panther/ Blue Ox/ 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid'
Jim Bettner

Post by Jim Bettner »

'Fred,  I checked the jack end per your suggestion.  It does look rather suspicious, but it has yet not been a problem, perhaps because in  67k miles, the suspension never over compressed.  Am I correct in assuming that this lug end is a manual return for the slide?   Jim    2000 Panther/ Blue Ox/ 2010 Ford Escape'
John Rowin

Post by John Rowin »

'
My slide is not closing true and beginning to sound terrible and some damage has occurred with woodwork between kitchen and toilet. Where should I start. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
'
John Rowin

Slide adjustment

Post by John Rowin »

'
My slide is not closing true and beginning to sound terrible and some damage has occurred with woodwork between kitchen and toilet. Where should I start. 

'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' John,  Pictures are going to help here this time. 
Bill Edwards1999 Panther
On Saturday, October 26, 2019, 12:24:00 PM MDT, John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Sorry forgot to sign previously. 
John & Martha Rowin 2000 Safari Continental Panther 

On Saturday, October 26, 2019, 12:55 PM, John Rowin wrote:

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Hi John and Martha
I have a 2000 Continental and had the same problem. The slide would not come in fully and caught the corner and broke a chunk of fiberglass off the top corner of the slide. Dont force it!
The problem was I did not have the coach on level ground with the full weight on the axles. I found out that you cannot run the slide properly when it's on the jacks even if the couch says it is perfectly level. 
I leveled the coach on the tires with blocks and the slide came in normally. If you are on a pad you won't have use blocks, the pad will be level. This sounds like you might have the same problem. 
It wasn't all that obvious to me because I thought level was level. But when the coach is on the jacks or even if perfectly level the frame can be torqued. This can misalign the slide and if it's out even by half an inch it won't come in properly. Retry to bring it in as if your at the point when you're going to drive the coach away.
It is distressing I know.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
On October 26, 2019 11:24:01 AM "John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

'
John Rowin

Post by John Rowin »

'Attachments :
  1. [url=file:///D:\---.safari-continental\Safari Friends PG Offline\\IMG_2397.JPG]IMG_2397.JPG[/url]
  1. [url=file:///D:\---.safari-continental\Safari Friends PG Offline\\IMG_2396.JPG]IMG_2396.JPG[/url]
  1. [url=file:///D:\---.safari-continental\Safari Friends PG Offline\\IMG_2392.JPG]IMG_2392.JPG[/url]
  1. [url=file:///D:\---.safari-continental\Safari Friends PG Offline\\IMG_2391.JPG]IMG_2391.JPG[/url]
Outside not matching up. Last time pull slide in tore up wood between kitchen and toilet wall. I just don’t know where to start. We will be back home in six days and not using slide. 
John &Martha Rowin2000 Safari Continental Panther 
[img]http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/XTP3oxjvc9 ... G_2397.JPG[/img]
[img]http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/XTP3oxjvc9 ... G_2396.JPG[/img]
[img]http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/XTP3oxjvc9 ... G_2392.JPG[/img]
[img]http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/XTP3oxjvc9 ... G_2391.JPG[/img]

On Saturday, October 26, 2019, 7:24 PM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
John,  Pictures are going to help here this time. 
Bill Edwards1999 Panther
On Saturday, October 26, 2019, 12:24:00 PM MDT, John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

'