Re: Hints for towing a jeep...

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
James McDaniel

Hints for towing a jeep...

Post by James McDaniel »

'Hi Safari friends,
I have never towed any thing behind my RV. What are some things I should know about towing my jeep 4 down?I know about putting the jeeps transfer case in neutral. I Have a the equipment for towing the jeep.
But I would like to know what to expect while towing. What should I be looking for. Will there be any surprises. How well does a car being towed follow the RV? Do I need to allow more turning room? Do I need to leave more stopping room even if the jeeps has brake control?Any advise would be helpful or where to look for more driver hints?Thank you for your response.Jim and Kathy1999 Safari Continental
425 Panther soon to be
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee '
John Ruff

Post by John Ruff »

'DON'T BACK UP! :)

We tow our jeep all over the USA. Even with brakes for it we are more cautious when going down large hills.

Other than a decrease in MPG, their is not much difference when towing.

Since we have to leave a key in the ignition of our Jeep, and because our key has an electronic portion to it; I had a key made that does not contain the electronics.

That way, nobody can steal our Jeep and drive off with it :)

John Ruff
96 Safari Sahara
--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, James McDaniel wrote:
>
> Hi Safari friends,
>
> I have never towed any thing behind my RV. What are some things I should know about towing my jeep 4 down?
> I know about putting the jeeps transfer case in neutral. I Have a the equipment for towing the jeep.
>
> But I would like to know what to expect while towing. What should I be looking for. Will there be any surprises. 
> How well does a car being towed follow the RV? Do I need to allow more
> turning room? Do I need to leave more stopping room even if the jeeps
> has brake control?
> Any advise would be helpful or where to look for more driver hints?
> Thank you for your response.
> Jim and Kathy
> 1999 Safari Continental
>
> 425 Panther soon to be
> towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
>
'
1999 Safari Sahara
Towd 2014 GMC Terrain
j_r_ruff@yahoo.com
Randy Kenagy

Post by Randy Kenagy »

'The 4-door Jeep wrangler was the right choice for us. Off road (dirt road really, we are wimps) in Moab, UT was awesome, as are the sands of the outer banks. It gets OK mileage and the soft top isn't a problem since we park in the garage. I think tire wear is accelerated but don't know if maybe the Goodyear Wrangler tires just wear out fast. It is heavy and we are always at max GCWR. Brakes are a must as is allowing time to climb hills slowly to keep things nice and cool. But, it's all good. 
Our 2012 doesn't require key in ignition or anything. Instructions are easy to follow in a dedicated 2-page section in the jeep operating manual. 
There are forums dedicated to towing in general. Google "RV dinghy" or "RV toad" and you can read lots of info. 
John gave great advice, don't ever put yourself in a position where you need to try and back up. In the end damage will likely happen. So either plan to unhook or find a way to not need plan B. 
Randy Kenagy1998 Sahara Virgin, UT
Sent from my iPad
On Jul 10, 2013, at 11:55 PM, James McDaniel wrote:

Hi Safari friends,
I have never towed any thing behind my RV. What are some things I should know about towing my jeep 4 down?I know about putting the jeeps transfer case in neutral. I Have a the equipment for towing the jeep.
But I would like to know what to expect while towing. What should I be looking for. Will there be any surprises. How well does a car being towed follow the RV? Do I need to allow more turning room? Do I need to leave more stopping room even if the jeeps has brake control?Any advise would be helpful or where to look for more driver hints?Thank you for your response.Jim and Kathy1999 Safari Continental
425 Panther soon to be
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

'We pull a 2011 Wrangler which replaced a 1992 Wrangler. We use a brake and I disconnect the battery so mileage doesnt accumulate while towing and we do use an ignition key that will not start the motor. Also installed a hood lock.
The 3126B doesnt know anything is back there. Didnt notice an appreciable difference in pulling or stopping. The Jeep follows inside the front-track of the Safari in turns, so no concern there. Rear-swing adds a bit(inches?), but hasnt been a problem.
JM2C

===================================================================
>
> Hi Safari friends,
>
> I have never towed any thing behind my RV. What are some things I should know about towing my jeep 4 down?
> I know about putting the jeeps transfer case in neutral. I Have a the equipment for towing the jeep.
>
> But I would like to know what to expect while towing. What should I be looking for. Will there be any surprises. 
> has brake control?
> Jim and Kathy
>
> 425 Panther soon to be
>
'
Mr. G.

Post by Mr. G. »

'

The 4-door Jeep wrangler was the right choice for us. Off road (dirt road really, we are wimps) in Moab, UT was awesome, as are the sands of the outer banks. It gets OK mileage and the soft top isn't a problem since we park in the garage. I think tire wear is accelerated but don't know if maybe the Goodyear Wrangler tires just wear out fast. It is heavy and we are always at max GCWR. Brakes are a must as is allowing time to climb hills slowly to keep things nice and cool. But, it's all good. 
Our 2012 doesn't require key in ignition or anything. Instructions are easy to follow in a dedicated 2-page section in the jeep operating manual. 
There are forums dedicated to towing in general. Google "RV dinghy" or "RV toad" and you can read lots of info. 
John gave great advice, don't ever put yourself in a position where you need to try and back up. In the end damage will likely happen. So either plan to unhook or find a way to not need plan B. 
Randy Kenagy1998 Sahara Virgin, UT
Sent from my iPad
On Jul 10, 2013, at 11:55 PM, James McDaniel wrote:

Hi Safari friends,
425 Panther soon to be
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

'
stuplich@ymail.com

Re: Towing (was: Hints for towing a jeep...)

Post by stuplich@ymail.com »

'With our coach, we've towed for 12 years...(first a '97 Saturn SL and now a '07 Saturn ION).
The total weight, (loaded coach + either of those Saturns), was/is less than the GVWR, (aka: total combined weight allowed), for my coach.
We simply hookup, turn the key to "acc", put the trans into "N" and go....(no aux brake, no disconnecting of the battery, no pre-tow procedure, no mileage limitation).
We've had no towing related problems in 100k + miles.
Mel
'96 Sahara
--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "Bubba" wrote:
>
> We pull a 2011 Wrangler which replaced a 1992 Wrangler. We use a brake and I disconnect the battery so mileage doesnt accumulate while towing and we do use an ignition key that will not start the motor. Also installed a hood lock.
> The 3126B doesnt know anything is back there. Didnt notice an appreciable difference in pulling or stopping. The Jeep follows inside the front-track of the Safari in turns, so no concern there. Rear-swing adds a bit(inches?), but hasnt been a problem.
> JM2C
>
>
> ===================================================================
>
> --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, James McDaniel wrote:
> >
> > Hi Safari friends,
> >
> > I have never towed any thing behind my RV. What are some things I should know about towing my jeep 4 down?
> > I know about putting the jeeps transfer case in neutral. I Have a the equipment for towing the jeep.
> >
> > But I would like to know what to expect while towing. What should I be looking for. Will there be any surprises. 
> > How well does a car being towed follow the RV? Do I need to allow more
> > turning room? Do I need to leave more stopping room even if the jeeps
> > has brake control?
> > Any advise would be helpful or where to look for more driver hints?
> > Thank you for your response.
> > Jim and Kathy
> > 1999 Safari Continental
> >
> > 425 Panther soon to be
> > towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
> >
>
'
Mel
'96 Sahara 3530, mine since '01
250 hp 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison
fountking

Post by fountking »

'Towing the Wrangler i really can't tell much difference accept about 1 MPG.Braking it is not noticeable and I use a surge brake (Ready-Brute)
Bob 96 Serengeti 3126 Cat
>
> Hi Safari friends,
>
>
> has brake control?
> Jim and Kathy
>
> 425 Panther soon to be
>
'