Re: Steering play adjustment

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
taknoff

Steering play adjustment

Post by taknoff »

Just brought 2000 30' sahara pusher  with 300hp cat. Wanders on the road, checked out steering box has a lot of slopp in it before pitman arm moves . Is there an adjustment bolt to tighten it up ?
Greg
paulcell47

Post by paulcell47 »

I have been driving a '99  thirty foot for 12 years. It still wanders all over. It is because the front end is too light. There is no adjustment on the steering box. You can put on a Steer Safe, or a stabilizer, both of which will help a little. Weigh the front end and set the air pressure at the proper pressure, not too high. It should have two stabilizing arms in front of the axel. Then, just get used to it!

To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 6:47:59 AM
Subject: [Safarifriends] Steering  play adjustment

Just brought 2000 30' sahara pusher  with 300hp cat. Wanders on the road, checked out steering box has a lot of slopp in it before pitman arm moves . Is there an adjustment bolt to tighten it up ?
Greg
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

The original factory solution was to add a substantial amount of dead weight to the front end.  Not sure of amount, but was several hundred pounds of steel.  Maybe someone has the details to share? Gary   From: nanandpete@... Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 10:58 AM To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Steering play adjustment    
I have been driving a '99  thirty foot for 12 years. It still wanders all over. It is because the front end is too light. There is no adjustment on the steering box. You can put on a Steer Safe, or a stabilizer, both of which will help a little. Weigh the front end and set the air pressure at the proper pressure, not too high. It should have two stabilizing arms in front of the axel. Then, just get used to it!

Subject: [Safarifriends] Steering  play adjustment

Greg
paulcell47

Post by paulcell47 »

My '99 came with a weight installed. It must be  at least 500 #. If you go by the 1/3 front, 2/3 rear rule, it needs about another 1300#! I toyed with the idea of adding more, but gave up and live with it. Once you get used to it , no problem. Keeps you on your toes.

Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 8:08:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Steering  play adjustment

The original factory solution was to add a substantial amount of dead weight to the front end.  Not sure of amount, but was several hundred pounds of steel.  Maybe someone has the details to share? Gary   From: nanandpete@... Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 10:58 AM To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Steering play adjustment    
I have been driving a '99  thirty foot for 12 years. It still wanders all over. It is because the front end is too light. There is no adjustment on the steering box. You can put on a Steer Safe, or a stabilizer, both of which will help a little. Weigh the front end and set the air pressure at the proper pressure, not too high. It should have two stabilizing arms in front of the axel. Then, just get used to it!

Subject: [Safarifriends] Steering  play adjustment

Greg
Mr. G.

Post by Mr. G. »

Greg
paulcell47

Post by paulcell47 »

Do you have rubber or steel springs?

To: "Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 10:30:34 AM
Subject: RE: [Safarifriends] Steering  play adjustment

Greg
rimichsz

Post by rimichsz »

I have the B.F. Goodrich Torsalastic suspension.
RG
--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, nanandpete@... wrote:
>
> Do you have rubber or steel springs?
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mr. G."
> To: "Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com"
> Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 10:30:34 AM
> Subject: RE: [Safarifriends] Steering play adjustment
>
>
>
>
> I have a '98 30 Sahara, single slide. I added steel plates up front, Tiger Tracks, Safety Steer, DUAL shocks at each corner and I bolted on a storage box with push bar up front (see Safarifriends home page photo) which carries a couple of hundred pounds of tools and accessories. My coach does not wander at all. Tight as a drum. One thing you may want to check is the distance between the center of the front wheel and the rear wheel on each side of the coach. Use a masonry line to get this measurement, then compare the two sides. You may find that there is an inch or two difference which would cause the coach to wander terribly. If so, the rear axle has slipped and will need to be straightened. A relatively easy fix. This is what is known as dog tailing.
> RG Moderator
>
>
>
> To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
> From: taknoff@...
> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 06:47:59 -0700
> Subject: [Safarifriends] Steering play adjustment
>
>
>
> Just brought 2000 30' sahara pusher with 300hp cat. Wanders on the road, checked out steering box has a lot of slopp in it before pitman arm moves . Is there an adjustment bolt to tighten it up ?
> Greg
>
Phillip and Joyce

Post by Phillip and Joyce »

I think you mean [ Dog Tracking }
Phil
--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. G." wrote:
>
> I have a '98 30 Sahara, single slide. I added steel plates up front, Tiger Tracks, Safety Steer, DUAL shocks at each corner and I bolted on a storage box with push bar up front (see Safarifriends home page photo) which carries a couple of hundred pounds of tools and accessories. My coach does not wander at all. Tight as a drum. One thing you may want to check is the distance between the center of the front wheel and the rear wheel on each side of the coach. Use a masonry line to get this measurement, then compare the two sides. You may find that there is an inch or two difference which would cause the coach to wander terribly. If so, the rear axle has slipped and will need to be straightened. A relatively easy fix. This is what is known as dog tailing.
> RG Moderator
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Just brought 2000 30' sahara pusher with 300hp cat. Wanders on the road, checked out steering box has a lot of slopp in it before pitman arm moves . Is there an adjustment bolt to tighten it up ?
> Greg
>
Dale Maggio

Post by Dale Maggio »

I think you mean going down the road like a Cocker Spaniel. ;-}

-=Dale=-

--------------------------------------------

I think you mean [ Dog Tracking }

Phil

--- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. G."
wrote:
>

> I have a '98 30 Sahara, single slide. I added
steel plates up front, Tiger Tracks, Safety Steer, DUAL
shocks at each corner and I bolted on a storage box with
push bar up front (see Safarifriends home page photo) which
carries a couple of hundred pounds of tools and accessories.
My coach does not wander at all. Tight as a drum. One thing
you may want to check is the distance between the center of
the front wheel and the rear wheel on each side of the
coach. Use a masonry line to get this measurement, then
compare the two sides. You may find that there is an inch or
two difference which would cause the coach to wander
terribly. If so, the rear axle has slipped and will need to
be straightened. A relatively easy fix. This is what is
known as dog tailing.
> RG Moderator

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Just brought 2000 30' sahara pusher with 300hp
cat. Wanders on the road, checked out steering box has a lot
of slopp in it before pitman arm moves . Is there an
adjustment bolt to tighten it up ?
> Greg

>
greg harding

Post by greg harding »

On steering play  I was looking  to see if it were shims for adjustment or a bolt tension adjustments my steering box.  I have new tires, 4 new shocks, front and rear sway bars ,and steering toe-end was measured and is OK. Any other help would be great.ThanksGreg2000 Sahara 3016,pusher