Re: Oil bath seals 1998 Serengeti

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
astrnmrtom

Oil bath seals 1998 Serengeti

Post by astrnmrtom »

I recently purchased a '98 3706 Serengeti and while I was rolling around underneath to run the cable for my new back up camera I noticed the front seal on my passenger side wheel was leaking a little. It does look like the hub is slightly overfilled but I suspect the seal is bad.

I'm having a heck of a time locating a replacement seal. There's no name on the hub window and google searches only come up with one reference to a 2014 post listing seal number. However I'm coming up empty with that number.

Does anyone know where to get seals?

Thanks,

Tom Masterson
'98 3706 Serengeti 
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I replaced mine! Bought it at a heavy truck parts supplier 

Sent from my iPhone
On May 17, 2016, at 7:25 PM, astrnmrtom@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I recently purchased a '98 3706 Serengeti and while I was rolling around underneath to run the cable for my new back up camera I noticed the front seal on my passenger side wheel was leaking a little. It does look like the hub is slightly overfilled but I suspect the seal is bad.

I'm having a heck of a time locating a replacement seal. There's no name on the hub window and google searches only come up with one reference to a 2014 post listing seal number. However I'm coming up empty with that number.

Thanks,

Tom Masterson
'98 3706 Serengeti 
Jerry Larsen

Post by Jerry Larsen »

You will find there is pin hole in center of seal, it will leak if filled past the hole, I suspect my was put there to keep from heat building up when driving (and it does) and possibly blowing seal out. 
Now I need help, I've tried to remove my name from the site list as I sold my beloved Serengeti, any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone
On May 17, 2016, at 6:25 PM, astrnmrtom@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Thanks,

Tom Masterson
'98 3706 Serengeti 
TD

Post by TD »

Jerry,

Please consider staying on, as your experience and advice is of high value, like many other members. Your post about the the wheel seals is an excellent example how you can continue to contribute to this group. I'm not sure how to unsubcribe, if you feel you must go. Hopefully someone with more group knowledge will chime in...

Thank you for all your help over the years!

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA, Allison
6spd.
On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:26 PM, Jerry Larsen jerrylarsen38@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

You will find there is pin hole in center of seal, it will leak if filled past the hole, I suspect my was put there to keep from heat building up when driving (and it does) and possibly blowing seal out. 
Now I need help, I've tried to remove my name from the site list as I sold my beloved Serengeti, any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone
On May 17, 2016, at 6:25 PM, astrnmrtom@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Thanks,

Tom Masterson
'98 3706 Serengeti 
Michael Vineyard

Post by Michael Vineyard »

As was said...sticking around to help is always a good thing.
BUT - you go to the YAHOO GROUPS - go to "Manage My Groups" (left hand side)...where you will see a list of all Yahoo Groups that you have joined.  There - you can change options for receiving e-mail.  For some, you can remain subscribed, but you can change the option to not receiving any e-mails - then you can still go to the group and catch up if/when you are interested.
Mike
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

I made a reply yesterday and it is not here. If you disassemble the hub, the back side of the seal will have a number on it. It can be then gotte from NAPA or some other source that sells CR (Chicago Rawhide) seals. It is a standard, readily available seal once you have the number. I posted the Safari nr but it will do little good unless one knows how to decipher it. 
Once you have it would you please post it so it can be placed in a data base tied to the Safari supplied nr which is also posted on the FMCA site and the Safari International site magazine in 2014 by yours truly.
Thanks
Bill Edwards