Re: 1998 Sahara 3006

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
birdshill123

1998 Sahara 3006

Post by birdshill123 »

'
I am new to this forum. Been RVing for 45 years! I have owned a few Classics. About 20 years ago I restored a 66 Clark Cortez. We drove it to Mexico and back. I also restored a 88 Bluebird. It went right to the Guatemalan border twice. Was really fun. For the last 18 years we have kept a unit in Mexico for travels to the south. 2 years ago I worked on a 04 Trek. After a year I realized it was not for me. The P30 chassis sucks!. I really need a short unit to get into some of the CG's. 30 ft. would be great. I considered a GMC and even an FMC. The GMC is very low slung and the FMC is highly overrated. Lost of inherent problems with the drive train. I did come across a Aero Cruiser that is very interesting. A few days ago I saw a Safari Sahara 30 ft., 1998 on the net. I am very interested. BUT I remember reading many years ago about handling problems with the short wheelbase on these units. Apparently hard to handle The one I am going to see in a few weeks has the Cat engine 300 Horse with a 6 Speed Allison. GOOD. It has the elliptiride ( leaf springs). I do see it has lots of rear overhang. I have to wonder about the front to rear weight balance? I did do a little reading on the 2 forums. What is the body construction in a 98? Someone told me the upper part is Fiberglass and aluminum on the bottom. Is that correct? I know that many early Trek owners had problems with bubbling on the aluminum. Would a Safari have that problem? Any other hints appreciated. Thanks.

Bruce'
James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'

Bruce,

There are many of these out there and with some adjustments, are great coaches and will fit most anywhere.

We also had a 98 30’ Sahara with a 3126 Cat. Here are a few things I have done to help with the short wheelbase.
From my experience, the coach is very tail heavy and lightest in the right front.  Move as much
of the heavy items you carry in the compartments to the right front and keep the lightest in the left rear. I also try to keep the fresh water tank at least 75% full as it is nearer the front and this helps with the weight balance.

Next and most important, have the unit weighed, corner by corner to find out the weight on each tire. 
Obtain a load chart (weight vs. pressure) for your brand of tires and set the tire pressures close to the chart value for the weight measured. Be sure to use the heaviest weight side to side on an axle for that axles’
setting.

I run 60# in the front and 88 in the rear and it tracks much better than when I got it with 90 all around. The big secret was getting the fronts to have a full footprint so they hold on to the road.  
Originally they were running on the middle ribs and it was like driving on ice; everything pushed me around. It is a proven fact that running tires over pressurized reduces the tires ability to hold the road and causes excess shoulder wear due to scrubbing.
I frequently check the tires on the road for wear and heat and have had no problems with my pressures.
This site should have an article I posed about tire pressure and contact patch along with a spreadsheet to calculate tire pressure.

I have also added about 140# of steel channel and brackets forward of the frame to reinforce the fiberglass bumper area. 
A plan for this is on my Safari web site.

On the 99 model, the factory actually added 3 1” steel plates to the front cross member for ballast.

Of course, if you have play in the steering components, that will have to be addressed.

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

On 9/23/2017 1:12 PM, birdshill123@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I am new to this forum. Been RVing for 45 years! I have owned a few Classics. About 20 years ago I restored a 66 Clark Cortez. We drove it to Mexico and back. I also restored a 88 Bluebird. It went right to the Guatemalan border twice. Was really fun.
For the last 18 years we have kept a unit in Mexico for travels to the south. 2 years ago I worked on a 04 Trek. After a year I realized it was not for me. The P30 chassis sucks!. I really need a short unit to get into some of the CG's. 30 ft. would be great.
I considered a GMC and even an FMC. The GMC is very low slung and the FMC is highly overrated. Lost of inherent problems with the drive train. I did come across a Aero Cruiser that is very interesting. A few days ago I saw a Safari Sahara 30 ft., 1998 on the
net. I am very interested. BUT I remember reading many years ago about handling problems with the short wheelbase on these units. Apparently hard to handle The one I am going to see in a few weeks has the Cat engine 300 Horse with a 6 Speed Allison. GOOD.
It has the elliptiride ( leaf springs). I do see it has lots of rear overhang. I have to wonder about the front to rear weight balance? I did do a little reading on the 2 forums. What is the body construction in a 98? Someone told me the upper part is Fiberglass
and aluminum on the bottom. Is that correct? I know that many early Trek owners had problems with bubbling on the aluminum. Would a Safari have that problem? Any other hints appreciated. Thanks.

Bruce

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
birdshill123

Post by birdshill123 »

'
Jim:  Thanks for that great reply. You mentioned your web site. Do you have a link to that site?

Thanks

Bruce
'
James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'

Bruce,

Here is the link: [ jexler.s3.amazonaws.com/safari/safari.html ]

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Jim Exler

On 9/26/2017 5:57 AM, birdshill123@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Jim:  Thanks for that great reply. You mentioned your web site. Do you have a link to that site?

Thanks

Bruce

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
jeffecito

Post by jeffecito »

'Attachments :Jim,

Thanks a million for all your research and electrical drawings.  They're a wealth of information.

You wouldn't by any chance have print outs of the three 12 volt fuse boxes behind the front hood, where the Safari name is below the drivers windshield, would you? 

Two of mine are missing on my 35 foot '96 Sahara 300/6.

I've attached a copy of the one that was still attached.

JH'
birdshill123

Post by birdshill123 »

'
Thanks Jim. Lots of good info. Why do I get the feeling you are either an engineer or a draftsman????? Nicely done!

Bruce
'
TD

Post by TD »

'Jeff,

Look through the photo files section on the site, I'm pretty sure the fuse panel labels have been posted at least twice with in this last year.

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA, Allison
6spd.
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 7:00 PM, jeffecito@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Jim,

Thanks a million for all your research and electrical drawings.  They're a wealth of information.

You wouldn't by any chance have print outs of the three 12 volt fuse boxes behind the front hood, where the Safari name is below the drivers windshield, would you? 

JH
'
Iman Inhabitant

Post by Iman Inhabitant »

'Thanks John, will do.JH
 This e-mail is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §2510-2521 and is legally privileged.

To: "Dale Maggio dalemaggio@y."
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] 1998 Sahara 3006

Jeff,

Look through the photo files section on the site, I'm pretty sure the fuse panel labels have been posted at least twice with in this last year.

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA, Allison
6spd.

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 7:00 PM, jeffecito@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Jim,

JH

'
James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'Attachments :
  1. [url=file:///D:\---.safarimotorhomes\Attachments\SafarifriendsDatabase\Attachments\Safarifriends\DSC00122.JPG]DSC00122.JPG[/url]

JH,

Attached is a photo of the fuse charts for my 98. These are located in the compartment forward of the left front tire.

Someone with a 96 should be able to send the ones from their coach.

Jim Exler

On 9/26/2017 5:00 PM, jeffecito@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Jim,

JH

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
somedaysoonltd

Post by somedaysoonltd »

'Attachments :
  1. [url=file:///D:\---.safarimotorhomes\Attachments\SafarifriendsDatabase\Attachments\Safarifriends\94 Safari Sahara 12v Fuse Block & 120v Circuit Breaker Panel Labels.pdf]94 Safari Sahara 12v Fuse Block & 120v Circuit Breaker Panel Labels.pdf[/url]
This is what I have been using for my 1996 Sahara.  The file does reference a 1994.  Basically the same as the other files attached by Dwayne in message 36185

Al Wilson
1996 Sahara 3550 250HP CAT 3126'