Re: shepard stearing gear

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
fountking

shepard stearing gear

Post by fountking »

'Looking for the model number on my gear box. Going by the shepard web site it looks like it is under the mounting plate. As it sez on web site the only thing you can check by pulling it is the weight.lol. 
I thought I saw on something Jim X posted that it was an M80 ,that is not on reman list.

Bob 96 Serengeti

'
Duane Buck

Post by Duane Buck »

'Bob,Yes, it most likely is a M-80.  I found it on two different websites for reman - one was Halidex, and the other was Power Steering Inc (all one word for their website).  Both show it - Halidex shows backorder, and you have to click on the link with Power Steering for more info, but it's still shown as available and out there.  I'm sure others will chip in with other places that have them as well.

Duane96 30' Sahara, 250hp CatSpokane WA

On Saturday, December 9, 2017, 12:37:52 PM PST, fountking@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Looking for the model number on my gear box. Going by the shepard web site it looks like it is under the mounting plate. As it sez on web site the only thing you can check by pulling it is the weight.lol. 
I thought I saw on something Jim X posted that it was an M80 ,that is not on reman list.

Bob 96 Serengeti

'
TD

Post by TD »

'Bob,

If time is on your side, consider having your box rebuilt. Search the forum, in the last two years there have been at least two members who had their boxes rebuilt with good result and they posted the names of the shops that did the work.

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA, Allison
6spd.
On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 3:37 PM, fountking@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Looking for the model number on my gear box. Going by the shepard web site it looks like it is under the mounting plate. As it sez on web site the only thing you can check by pulling it is the weight.lol. 

Bob 96 Serengeti

'
ellisjte2000

Post by ellisjte2000 »

'I just went through this, I bought a replacement m-80 from sheppards reman unit. I believe it was around 500 with around a 450 core charge. Give them a call.

http://www.rhsheppard.com/products-services/products/remanufactured-parts/

Jason
97 Sahara 3044 250hp CAT'
Rick Hargrove

Post by Rick Hargrove »

'The complete part number for the steering box is M80PBQ1.

Rick
98 Safari Sahara 35’ CAT 3126 300 hp 6 speed Allison'
fountking

Post by fountking »

'Thanks for answers.
Would like to get some of the slop out of the wheel. Have checked steering linkage and is good.I will call sheppard and see what they say. They are about 6 hrs from here
Bob96 Serengeti'
wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

'Another (good) option is to have your steering box BLUE PRINTED by these guys to remove play:

https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/'
Jim Bowen

Post by Jim Bowen »

'When I had to have my Shepard Steering Gear replaced - I had a
re-manufactured unit

installed. Steering was never this good before (tight).

JiminTX'
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

'Bob,  If you still need the steering box model number, it will be listed on your build sheet.    I just double checked and my build sheet listed my steering gear as Sheppard M80PAW1.    That is different than another response that another member gave you (M80PBQ1).  Hopefully you still have your build sheet to get the correct number.Gerry1997 30' Sahara 300hp
Sent from my iPad
On Dec 10, 2017, at 8:02 AM, fountking@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Thanks for answers.
Would like to get some of the slop out of the wheel. Have checked steering linkage and is good.I will call sheppard and see what they say. They are about 6 hrs from here
Bob96 Serengeti '