Re: House Water Pump

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
themushmouse

House Water Pump

Post by themushmouse »

'Well, it looks like it is time to replace the house water pump on my 1996 Ivory. It has been acting funny for a bit and now takes over 30 seconds just to power up and the water flow is dismal when it does decide to come out. I have checked the lines by hooking up to city water and the pressure is fine, so I am assuming there is no blockage in the water lines?
Here's the problem: HOW THE HECK DO I GET TO THE WATER PUMP TO REPLACE IT?
I have replaced a water pump before and know that it is really not that hard, but my pump is behind that wall of water switches and no adult human (no matter how skinny) could get to it from that bay door or any other. I know there must be a way to remove the panel, but am currently at a loss as to how that would happen.

If you have replaced your pump, please give me a clue.

'
QuantumRift

Post by QuantumRift »

'
Have you checked the strainer for a clog? Mine was clogged with black gunk. Also, the pump is easy to fix...a 20 dollar kit fixes the valves on top. Pumps are expensive. Check the strainer first....

Happy Connecting. Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 5

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/29/17 11:22 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Safarifriends] House Water Pump

Well, it looks like it is time to replace the house water pump on my 1996 Ivory. It has been acting funny for a bit and now takes over 30 seconds just to power up and the water flow is dismal when it does decide to come out. I have checked the lines by hooking up to city water and the pressure is fine, so I am assuming there is no blockage in the water lines?
I have replaced a water pump before and know that it is really not that hard, but my pump is behind that wall of water switches and no adult human (no matter how skinny) could get to it from that bay door or any other. I know there must be a way to remove the panel, but am currently at a loss as to how that would happen.

'
QuantumRift
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
6-speed Allison World Transmission
QuantumRift

Post by QuantumRift »

' There are carpeted panels (at least in our coach) that are removeable to get to the pump. The strainer is prob clogged...it is screwed into the pump inlet frm the water tank. It is clear and easy to see. Drain as much water as you can frm tank. When you disconnect water line from strainer, let water drain into a bigger hose to outside, or plug it with a big glob of plumber's putty (that is how I did it) while you remove pump)...

Well, it looks like it is time to replace the house water pump on my 1996 Ivory. It has been acting funny for a bit and now takes over 30 seconds just to power up and the water flow is dismal when it does decide to come out. I have checked the lines by hooking up to city water and the pressure is fine, so I am assuming there is no blockage in the water lines?

'
QuantumRift
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'My Sahara has a factory created hole in the plywood bottom of the compartment, behind the water manifold, below the pump, that can be removed for access to the pump.  You could have the same? 

'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 12:19 PM, QuantumRift quantumrift@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

There are carpeted panels (at least in our coach) that are removeable to get to the pump. The strainer is prob clogged...it is screwed into the pump inlet frm the water tank. It is clear and easy to see. Drain as much water as you can frm tank. When you disconnect water line from strainer, let water drain into a bigger hose to outside, or plug it with a big glob of plumber's putty (that is how I did it) while you remove pump)...

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
Dick Missett

Post by Dick Missett »

' If you go to the photo section and search dngmissett photo's you will see a series of photo's that I posted in Oct of 2010 regarding access to  my fresh water pump in my 98 Sahara 30 ' with a single slide. the pictures speak for themselves and you can click on the comments in each one for an explanation of what your looking at. It was a bear to say the least but now thanks to the modification I am able to swap it out or service it in 15 minutes . Based on your description I would first access the filter on the pump and see if it might be clogged. 
Dick Missett98 Sahara 300 CAT
On Friday, December 29, 2017, 12:57:24 PM EST, diannesheridan@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

'This is a good time to put a ball valve in the supply line. Shark Bite makes a ball valve to do just this sort of thing.  Buy a 7 dollar PEX tubing cutter and cut the supply line and just slip the Shark Bite ball valve into place.It is just that simple. Now you can turn of the supply and do what is necessary with out having to empty the tank or take a bath.
Happy New Year
Bill Edwards1999 Panther

On Friday, December 29, 2017 11:21 AM, "QuantumRift quantumrift@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

There are carpeted panels (at least in our coach) that are removeable to get to the pump. The strainer is prob clogged...it is screwed into the pump inlet frm the water tank. It is clear and easy to see. Drain as much water as you can frm tank. When you disconnect water line from strainer, let water drain into a bigger hose to outside, or plug it with a big glob of plumber's putty (that is how I did it) while you remove pump)...

'
QuantumRift

Post by QuantumRift »

' Yea next time for me. 
Doug96 serengeti

Date: 12/29/17 1:33 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] House Water Pump

This is a good time to put a ball valve in the supply line. Shark Bite makes a ball valve to do just this sort of thing.  Buy a 7 dollar PEX tubing cutter and cut the supply line and just slip the Shark Bite ball valve into place.It is just that simple. Now you can turn of the supply and do what is necessary with out having to empty the tank or take a bath.
Happy New Year
Bill Edwards1999 Panther

On Friday, December 29, 2017 11:21 AM, "QuantumRift quantumrift@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

'
QuantumRift
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
trekker01@gmail.com

Post by trekker01@gmail.com »

'Dick,How did you determine where to put your 8" hole to be close enough to the old pump without hitting anything, and did you install the new pump in the original location, or relocate it?  Also, you photo album shows that you removed some of the carpet (is that Ozite?) and cut out the plywood above the left hand SS water manifold panel. Were you able to remove the SS panel to have full working room/visibility?  Or was the removal of the plywood not necessary and all work could be accomplished through the round hole you cut in the floor?  
And did you replace the rectangular plywood piece upon completion and final reassembly?
Appears the whole thing was put in place before the box was installed, as almost impossible to get to the pump in the original location.  Owners having to pay upwards of $150 an hour for labor (upwards of $2,000, labor alone) to replace an under $100 pump.
Did you consider mounting the pump outside that box, readily visible through the bay door?
Gary'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT'
Robert Todd

Post by Robert Todd »

'I can access my potable water pump through removal of an access door to the left side of the water control valves in the water bay. Robert1998 Safari Serengeti40’, 300 HP Cat, Allison 

Sent from my iPad
On Mar 24, 2018, at 10:11 AM, dxglt7vmt7nktddledmrvop5iqecv374okug67ap@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Dick,How did you determine where to put your 8" hole to be close enough to the old pump without hitting anything, and did you install the new pump in the original location, or relocate it?  Also, you photo album shows that you removed some of the carpet (is that Ozite?) and cut out the plywood above the left hand SS water manifold panel. Were you able to remove the SS panel to have full working room/visibility?  Or was the removal of the plywood not necessary and all work could be accomplished through the round hole you cut in the floor?  
And did you replace the rectangular plywood piece upon completion and final reassembly?
Appears the whole thing was put in place before the box was installed, as almost impossible to get to the pump in the original location.  Owners having to pay upwards of $150 an hour for labor (upwards of $2,000, labor alone) to replace an under $100 pump.
Did you consider mounting the pump outside that box, readily visible through the bay door?
Gary'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
'