Re: Ready Brake (Readybrake) Towed (Toad) Vehicle Brake

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
tleepedigo

Ready Brake (Readybrake) Towed (Toad) Vehicle Brake

Post by tleepedigo »

'
Ready Brake (Readybrake)  Towed Vehicle Brake
 I’d like an opinion from those of you who have experience with towed vehicles.  I’ve towed my Ford Escape (on a dolly) for over two years and about 18,000 miles and have had little trouble, but the dolly is a pain and I’m switching to a four-down towed vehicle.  I’ve bought a Jeep Commander which can be towed in this manner.  My question:  supplemental braking? 
 The Jeep is about the same weight as the escape and dolly combo, so I’ll be pulling/stopping about the same mass.  I’m just a little shy of 24,000 lbs fully loaded, so (I think) with the added weight from the towed I’m still less than the GVW for my rig.  Mine didn’t come all the manuals and there is no sticker with the GVW.   I’ve looked in the closets and behind the shifter… no joy.  Anyway, using all due diligence, I’ve yet to have any harrowing stopping issues.  But I’d like to add some additional braking, still. 
At present, I’m seriously considering the Ready Brake system.  It looks like one of the easiest, overall.  It appears to be basically plug and play once installed.  I’ve checked the conversations under Yahoo (what a pain!!!) and didn’t see too much.  If there is a previous conversation, please give me the exact text to search on so I can find it.  Thanks!

Lee
’93 Continental 40’
Oshkosh Chassis
300 Cummins – 6spd

'
Gerald Emert

Post by Gerald Emert »

' I've used the Ready Brute Elite including emergency brake away for 4 years and I am extremely happy with it.  Very easy to hook up and take down.  After the brief learning curve it takes me no more than 10 minutes to hook or unhook.  Usually closer to 5.  I highly recommend it. Jerry
'
Martin Stevens

Post by Martin Stevens »

' Keep in mind too, that what ever you choose, some states require additional braking for anything as little as 1000lbs.

Marty 
2000 Zanzibar
300 Cat

On March 5,2018 at 9:01 AM "tleepedigo@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

Ready Brake (Readybrake)  Towed Vehicle Brake

I’d like an opinion from those of you who have experience with towed vehicles.  I’ve towed my Ford Escape (on a dolly) for over two years and about 18,000 miles and have had little trouble, but the dolly is a pain and I’m switching to a four-down towed vehicle.  I’ve bought a Jeep Commander which can be towed in this manner.  My question:  supplemental braking? 

The Jeep is about the same weight as the escape and dolly combo, so I’ll be pulling/stopping about the same mass.  I’m just a little shy of 24,000 lbs fully loaded, so (I think) with the added weight from the towed I’m still less than the GVW for my rig.  Mine didn’t come all the manuals and there is no sticker with the GVW.   I’ve looked in the closets and behind the shifter… no joy.  Anyway, using all due diligence, I’ve yet to have any harrowing stopping issues.  But I’d like to add some additional braking, still. 

At present, I’m seriously considering the Ready Brake system.  It looks like one of the easiest, overall.  It appears to be basically plug and play once installed.  I’ve checked the conversations under Yahoo (what a pain!!!) and didn’t see too much.  If there is a previous conversation, please give me the exact text to search on so I can find it.  Thanks!

Lee

’93 Continental 40’

Oshkosh Chassis

300 Cummins – 6spd

'
fountking

Post by fountking »

'

I have towed my jeep over 40,000 miles with readybrute tow bar with the ready brake
Bob 96 Serengeti'
tleepedigo

Post by tleepedigo »

'Thanks everyone for their help!  I already have the tow bar, so I ordered the Ready Brake Receiver.  Looks like its reviews from other users are great, too.
Lee
'93 Continental 40'300hp Cummins -- Allison 6spdOshkosh Chassis
'