Re: 1997 Sahara Safari Not Starting

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Jumpnjoe59

1997 Sahara Safari Not Starting

Post by Jumpnjoe59 »

'
Drove my Safari to winter storage in Oct 17.  Removed all 6 batteries to trickle charge.  Installed cranking batteries yesterday.  When I went to start the RV.  When I turn the key to on there is no air intake heater light and no check engine light.  The engine turns over but does not crank.  I drew a wiring diagram before unhooking the batteries. So I feel like I hooked th wires back correctly but that really is the only thing that has changed since I last drove her.  Pretty sure the intake heater and check engine light need to be energized for the engine to crank. 

Joe, 1997 Safari, 3126b, Allison 6spd'
TD

Post by TD »

'Joe,

What model is your Safari?

Does your Allison shift pad power up/light up?

On the older Safari coaches there where two smaller wires (12 or 10 gauge) that hooked up to the positive and negative chassis battery terminals. There should also be an inline fuse on the positive wire, check the fuse and the connections of those two wires. Last spring, I missed hooking hooking up the small ground wire, mentioned above, and I had the exact same symptoms. It was an oh crap moment for a split second. Lol.

The newer coaches had a small fuse box camouflaged in the battery compartment that houses the fuses for the fuses for the engine and trans computers. Your coach is in between that transition, so I'm not sure which setup you have.

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA, Allison
6spd.
On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 6:27 PM, jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Drove my Safari to winter storage in Oct 17.  Removed all 6 batteries to trickle charge.  Installed cranking batteries yesterday.  When I went to start the RV.  When I turn the key to on there is no air intake heater light and no check engine light.  The engine turns over but does not crank.  I drew a wiring diagram before unhooking the batteries. So I feel like I hooked th wires back correctly but that really is the only thing that has changed since I last drove her.  Pretty sure the intake heater and check engine light need to be energized for the engine to crank. 

Joe, 1997 Safari, 3126b, Allison 6spd
'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Check the voltage on the battery bank when cranking. You might have a bad/shorted plate in one battery giving low voltage and it will crank but not start. I had the same problem..... year old batteries but would not hold up when cranking, even though at no load I had full voltage. For $19.95 you can get a battery load tester at Harbor Freight. 
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Continental3126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
On May 3, 2018 3:27:53 PM "jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

'
Ron Schroeder

Post by Ron Schroeder »

'

I had a similar problem after I changed batteries and caused a spark by crossing battery cables.   My problem  was a 10 amp fuse in the Allison ECM under the dash.  Only cost $1500 to find the problem.
Peoria Ron
1999 Safari Zanzabar
3126B Cat with Allison 6 Speed
Peoria, IL

Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2018 11:31 PM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] 1997 Sahara Safari Not Starting

Check the voltage on the battery bank when cranking. You might have a bad/shorted plate in one battery giving low voltage and it will crank but not start. I had the same problem..... year old batteries but would not hold up when cranking,
even though at no load I had full voltage. For $19.95 you can get a battery load tester at Harbor Freight. 

Robert and Bev Lewis

2000 Continental

3126B Cat, 330hp

MD3060 Allison

On May 3, 2018 3:27:53 PM "jumpnjoe59@...%20[Safarifriends]"
wrote:

Drove my Safari to winter storage in Oct 17.  Removed all 6 batteries to trickle charge.  Installed cranking batteries yesterday.  When I went to start the RV.  When I turn the key
to on there is no air intake heater light and no check engine light.  The engine turns over but does not crank.  I drew a wiring diagram before unhooking the batteries. So I feel like I hooked th wires back correctly but that really is the only thing that
has changed since I last drove her.  Pretty sure the intake heater and check engine light need to be energized for the engine to crank. 

'
Joe George

Post by Joe George »

' Thanks to all for the quick replies.  I will recheck the wiring and connections to the batteries today.  I checked the fuses on the wires yesterday.  Is it reasonable to assume without the air intake heater and check engine not illuminating the RV wouldn't crank.  Assuming the bulbs are not just burned out (which is not my case...I refuse to believe both went out simultaneously). 
Without taking pictures...there are 3 10-12 gauge wires that go the positive post of the front battery.  2 seem to run back somewhere into the coach and the other comes into the battery from the left side.  There is a single 10-12 gauge wire that runs to the front negative side of the batter in the same bundle from the previously mentioned 2.
I don't think it is a battery issue but will check that also.  

On Thursday, May 3, 2018, 10:30:53 PM MDT, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Check the voltage on the battery bank when cranking. You might have a bad/shorted plate in one battery giving low voltage and it will crank but not start. I had the same problem..... year old batteries but would not hold up when cranking, even though at no load I had full voltage. For $19.95 you can get a battery load tester at Harbor Freight. 

'
Joe George

Post by Joe George »

' Sorry forgot to include my signature block.
Joe, 1997 Sahara 3550, Allison 6 Sp, 3126B
On Friday, May 4, 2018, 7:55:54 AM MDT, Joe George jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Thanks to all for the quick replies.  I will recheck the wiring and connections to the batteries today.  I checked the fuses on the wires yesterday.  Is it reasonable to assume without the air intake heater and check engine not illuminating the RV wouldn't crank.  Assuming the bulbs are not just burned out (which is not my case...I refuse to believe both went out simultaneously). 
Without taking pictures...there are 3 10-12 gauge wires that go the positive post of the front battery.  2 seem to run back somewhere into the coach and the other comes into the battery from the left side.  There is a single 10-12 gauge wire that runs to the front negative side of the batter in the same bundle from the previously mentioned 2.

On Thursday, May 3, 2018, 10:30:53 PM MDT, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Check the voltage on the battery bank when cranking. You might have a bad/shorted plate in one battery giving low voltage and it will crank but not start. I had the same problem..... year old batteries but would not hold up when cranking, even though at no load I had full voltage. For $19.95 you can get a battery load tester at Harbor Freight. 

'
James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'

Joe,

On my 98 Sahara, there were 4 small (10-12) wires on the positive terminal and 3 small wires on the negative terminal of the chassis battery.

You might want to search for more missing grounds as the trans ECU and the engine ECM both are wired directly to the battery. They use internal switching to turn off.

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

On 5/4/2018 7:55 AM, Joe George jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Thanks to all for the quick replies.  I will recheck the wiring and connections to the batteries today.  I checked the fuses on the wires yesterday.  Is it reasonable to assume without the air intake heater and check engine not illuminating the RV wouldn't
crank.  Assuming the bulbs are not just burned out (which is not my case...I refuse to believe both went out simultaneously). 

Without taking pictures...there are 3 10-12 gauge wires that go the positive post of the front battery.  2 seem to run back somewhere into the coach and the other comes into the battery from the left side.  There is a single 10-12 gauge wire that
runs to the front negative side of the batter in the same bundle from the previously mentioned 2.

On Thursday, May 3, 2018, 10:30:53 PM MDT, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Check the voltage on the battery bank when cranking. You might have a bad/shorted plate in one battery giving low voltage and it will crank but not start. I had the same problem..... year old batteries but would not hold up when cranking, even though at
no load I had full voltage. For $19.95 you can get a battery load tester at Harbor Freight. 

Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Continental
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

On May 3, 2018 3:27:53 PM jumpnjoe59@...[Safarifriends] Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Drove my Safari to winter storage in Oct 17.  Removed all 6 batteries to trickle charge.  Installed cranking batteries yesterday.  When I went to start the RV.  When I turn the key to on there is no air intake heater light and no check engine light. 
The engine turns over but does not crank.  I drew a wiring diagram before unhooking the batteries. So I feel like I hooked th wires back correctly but that really is the only thing that has changed since I last drove her.  Pretty sure the intake heater and
check engine light need to be energized for the engine to crank. 

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
Joe George

Post by Joe George »

'Have double checked the battery connections and fuses in the battery compartment with no change.  Have no air heater light or check engine light all others light up when key is turned on.  The shifter lights up also.  Are there any other fuses in the engine area or up front that need to be checked?

Joe,1997 3550 Sahara, 3126b, 6 sp allison
--------------------------------------------
On Fri, 5/4/18, Joe George wrote:

Date: Friday, May 4, 2018, 8:00 AM

Sorry forgot to include my signature
block.
Joe, 1997
Sahara 3550, Allison 6 Sp, 3126B

On Friday, May 4, 2018, 7:55:54 AM
MDT, Joe George jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:

Thanks to all for the quick replies.  I
will recheck the wiring and connections to the batteries
today.  I checked the fuses on the wires yesterday.  Is it
reasonable to assume without the air intake heater and check
engine not illuminating the RV wouldn't crank. 
Assuming the bulbs are not just burned out (which is not my
case...I refuse to believe both went out
simultaneously). 
Without taking
pictures...there are 3 10-12 gauge wires that go the
positive post of the front battery.  2 seem to run back
somewhere into the coach and the other comes into the
battery from the left side.  There is a single 10-12 gauge
wire that runs to the front negative side of the batter in
the same bundle from the previously mentioned
I don't think it is
a battery issue but will check that also.  

On Thursday, May 3, 2018, 10:30:53
PM MDT, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@...
[Safarifriends] wrote:

Check the voltage on the battery bank when
cranking. You might have a bad/shorted plate in one battery
giving low voltage and it will crank but not start. I had
the same problem..... year old batteries but would not hold
up when cranking, even though at no load I had full voltage.
For $19.95 you can get a battery load tester at Harbor
Freight. 
Robert and
Bev Lewis2000 Continental3126B Cat,
330hpMD3060 Allison

On May 3, 2018 3:27:53 PM
"jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends]"
wrote:

Drove my Safari to winter storage in
Oct 17.  Removed all 6 batteries to trickle charge. 
Installed cranking batteries yesterday.  When I went to
start the RV.  When I turn the key to on there is no air
intake heater light and no check engine light.  The engine
turns over but does not crank.  I drew a wiring diagram
before unhooking the batteries. So I feel like I hooked th
wires back correctly but that really is the only thing that
has changed since I last drove her.  Pretty sure the intake
heater and check engine light need to be energized for the
engine to crank. 
Joe, 1997 Safari, 3126b,
Allison 6spd

'
TD

Post by TD »

'Joe,

Last year a Doug had a similar problem, and his problem ended up being a broken wire on the back side of the service bay, where you can start the engine remotely. So I would suggest checking there too. I know this may seem repetitive, but considering what Jim E. mentioned yesterday, I would suggest to triple check that a 12 gauge ground wire did not slip away some where and is hiding on you, as by your description, it sounds like you are short of a small gauge ground wire.

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA, Allison
6spd.
On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 1:27 PM, Joe George jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
Have double checked the battery connections and fuses in the battery compartment with no change.  Have no air heater light or check engine light all others light up when key is turned on.  The shifter lights up also..  Are there any other fuses in the engine area or up front that need to be checked?

------------------------------ --------------
On Fri, 5/4/18, Joe George wrote:

block.
 Joe, 1997

On Friday, May 4, 2018, 7:55:54 AM
 MDT, Joe George jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends]
  wrote:

Thanks to all for the quick replies.  I
 will recheck the wiring and connections to the batteries
 today.  I checked the fuses on the wires yesterday.  Is it
 reasonable to assume without the air intake heater and check
 Assuming the bulbs are not just burned out (which is not my
 simultaneously). 
 Without taking
 positive post of the front battery.  2 seem to run back
 battery from the left side.  There is a single 10-12 gauge
 wire that runs to the front negative side of the batter in
 I don't think it is

On Thursday, May 3, 2018, 10:30:53
 [Safarifriends] wrote:

cranking. You might have a bad/shorted plate in one battery
 giving low voltage and it will crank but not start. I had
 the same problem..... year old batteries but would not hold
 up when cranking, even though at no load I had full voltage.
 Freight. 
 Robert and
 330hpMD3060 Allison

"jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends]"
  wrote:

Installed cranking batteries yesterday.  When I went to
 start the RV.  When I turn the key to on there is no air
 intake heater light and no check engine light.  The engine
 turns over but does not crank.  I drew a wiring diagram
 before unhooking the batteries. So I feel like I hooked th
 wires back correctly but that really is the only thing that
 has changed since I last drove her.  Pretty sure the intake
 heater and check engine light need to be energized for the
 engine to crank. 
 Joe, 1997 Safari, 3126b,
 Allison 6spd

------------------------------ ------
Posted by: Joe George

Community email addresses:
  Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
  Subscribe:    Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
  Unsubscribe:  Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
  List owner:   Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com

Shortcut URL to this page:
  http://www.onelist.com/ community/Safarifriends

Yahoo Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ Safarifriends/

Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ Safarifriends/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

To change settings via email:
    Safarifriends-digest@yahoogroups.com
    Safarifriends-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    Safarifriends-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
    https://info.yahoo.com/legal/ us/yahoo/utos/terms/
'
Joe George

Post by Joe George »

'So checked as suggested below.  Here is a description of the 10 gauge configuration

Back battery pos post has 2 10 gauge wires
Front battery pos post has 4 10  gauge wires
Front battery net post has 1 10 gauge wire

Joe 3550 3126b allison 6 sp
--------------------------------------------
On Sat, 5/5/18, TD sdjhtm@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

To: "Dale Maggio dalemaggio@y."
Date: Saturday, May 5, 2018, 12:43 PM

Joe,

Last year a Doug had a similar problem,
and his problem ended up being a broken wire on the back
side of the service bay, where you can start the engine
remotely. So I would suggest checking there too. I know this
may seem repetitive, but considering what Jim E. mentioned
yesterday, I would suggest to triple check that a 12 gauge
ground wire did not slip away some where and is hiding on
you, as by your description, it sounds like you are short of
a small gauge ground wire..

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA,
Allison
6spd.

On Sat,
May 5, 2018 at 1:27 PM, Joe George jumpnjoe59@...
[Safarifriends]
wrote:
Have double checked the battery connections and
fuses in the battery compartment with no change.  Have no
air heater light or check engine light all others light up
when key is turned on.  The shifter lights up also..  Are
there any other fuses in the engine area or up front that
need to be checked?

------------------------------ --------------

On Fri, 5/4/18, Joe George
wrote:

Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] 1997 Sahara Safari Not
Starting

block.

Joe, 1997

On Friday, May 4,
2018, 7:55:54 AM

MDT, Joe George jumpnjoe59@...
[Safarifriends]

wrote:

Thanks to all for the quick replies. 
I

will recheck the wiring and connections to the
batteries

today.  I checked the fuses on the wires yesterday.  Is
it

reasonable to assume without the air intake heater and
check

Assuming the bulbs are not just burned out (which is not
my

simultaneously). 

Without taking

positive post of the front battery.  2 seem to run
back

battery from the left side.  There is a single 10-12
gauge

wire that runs to the front negative side of the batter
in

I don't think it is

On Thursday, May 3,
2018, 10:30:53

[Safarifriends] wrote:

cranking. You might have a bad/shorted plate in one
battery

giving low voltage and it will crank but not start. I
had

the same problem..... year old batteries but would not
hold

up when cranking, even though at no load I had full
voltage.

Freight. 

Robert and

330hpMD3060 Allison

"jumpnjoe59@...
[Safarifriends]"

wrote:

Installed cranking batteries yesterday.  When I went
to

start the RV.  When I turn the key to on there is no
air

intake heater light and no check engine light.  The
engine

turns over but does not crank.  I drew a wiring
diagram

before unhooking the batteries. So I feel like I hooked
th

wires back correctly but that really is the only thing
that

has changed since I last drove her.  Pretty sure the
intake

heater and check engine light need to be energized for
the

engine to crank. 

Joe, 1997 Safari, 3126b,

Allison 6spd

Posted by: Joe George

Community email addresses:

Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com

Subscribe:    Safarifriends-subscribe@
onelist.com

Unsubscribe:  Safarifriends-unsubscribe@
onelist.com

List owner:   Safarifriends-owner@onelist.
com

Shortcut URL to this page:

http://www.onelist.com/
community/Safarifriends

Yahoo Groups Links

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
Safarifriends/

Individual Email | Traditional

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
Safarifriends/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

Safarifriends-digest@
yahoogroups.com

Safarifriends-fullfeatured@
yahoogroups.com

Safarifriends-unsubscribe@
yahoogroups.com

https://info.yahoo.com/legal/
us/yahoo/utos/terms/

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447 --
  #yiv1471211447ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447ygrp-mkp #yiv1471211447hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447ygrp-mkp #yiv1471211447ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447ygrp-mkp .yiv1471211447ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447ygrp-mkp .yiv1471211447ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447ygrp-mkp .yiv1471211447ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1471211447ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv1471211447ygrp-lc #yiv1471211447hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv1471211447ygrp-lc .yiv1471211447ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447activity span
.yiv1471211447underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv1471211447 .yiv1471211447attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv1471211447 .yiv1471211447attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1471211447 .yiv1471211447attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1471211447 .yiv1471211447attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv1471211447 .yiv1471211447attach label a {

#yiv1471211447 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv1471211447 .yiv1471211447bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1471211447 .yiv1471211447bold a {

#yiv1471211447 dd.yiv1471211447last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1471211447 dd.yiv1471211447last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1471211447 dd.yiv1471211447last p
span.yiv1471211447yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv1471211447 div.yiv1471211447attach-table div div a {

#yiv1471211447 div.yiv1471211447attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv1471211447 div.yiv1471211447file-title a, #yiv1471211447
div.yiv1471211447file-title a:active, #yiv1471211447
div.yiv1471211447file-title a:hover, #yiv1471211447
div.yiv1471211447file-title a:visited {

#yiv1471211447 div.yiv1471211447photo-title a,
#yiv1471211447 div.yiv1471211447photo-title a:active,
#yiv1471211447 div.yiv1471211447photo-title a:hover,
#yiv1471211447 div.yiv1471211447photo-title a:visited {

#yiv1471211447 div#yiv1471211447ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv1471211447ygrp-msg p a span.yiv1471211447yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv1471211447 .yiv1471211447green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv1471211447 .yiv1471211447MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv1471211447 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1471211447 .yiv1471211447replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv1471211447 #yiv1471211447ygrp-mlmsg table {