Re: 7.5 Quiet Diesel Overheat cooling air drawn over muffler

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
robsandfreak

7.5 Quiet Diesel Overheat cooling air drawn over muffler

Post by robsandfreak »

'
Arizona Resident!
I have found that my generator likes to complain about the ambient temperature when I try to pull both roof acs while traveling down the road. It doesn't seem to be as much of a issue until you come to a stop for a quick rest area or a long red light. I will assume that the great design of the generators cooling air intake being sourced directly above the muffler is a big contributor to the incident.
I DO NOT HAVE ANY ISSUE OF OVERHEAT with the generator until the  coach engine and its exhaust system are contributing heat after reaching operating temperature. The generator case and radiator have been regularly cleaned and serviced.
Any thoughts or experiences, or modifications, especially a original owner who pointed Safari s design ERROR out to them would be interesting to hear about.
 '
robsandfreak

Post by robsandfreak »

'IIt appears that my signature is being omitted so...
Rob99 Serengeti Ivory 330 cat

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Arizona Resident!
I have found that my generator likes to complain about the ambient temperature when I try to pull both roof acs while traveling down the road. It doesn't seem to be as much of a issue until you come to a stop for a quick rest area or a long red light. I will assume that the great design of the generators cooling air intake being sourced directly above the muffler is a big contributor to the incident.
I DO NOT HAVE ANY ISSUE OF OVERHEAT with the generator until the  coach engine and its exhaust system are contributing heat after reaching operating temperature. The generator case and radiator have been regularly cleaned and serviced.
Any thoughts or experiences, or modifications, especially a original owner who pointed Safari s design ERROR out to them would be interesting to hear about.
 '
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Yes this area is a problem and coach floor is fire prone to boot. Several coaches have gone this way. Yes there is at least a partial remedy. In Mt 2001 Zanzibar and the Panther I wrapped the exhaust from the turbo to the muffler wirh exhaust wrap. It is a fiberglass wrap developed for NASCAR to keep the heat in the piping. It comes 2 inches wide and in 50 foot rolls. I overlapped it 50%. It will keep something better tha 80% of the heat in the pipe and you can touch the surface. I also wrapped all the intake air plenum piping. If it keeps heat in it should keep heat out and that equals horse power.
Bill Edwards 1999 Panthernow 30,000 Miles started with 12,000 in a year and a half
On Wednesday, May 9, 2018, 10:40:27 PM MDT, robsandfreak@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

IIt appears that my signature is being omitted so...
Rob99 Serengeti Ivory 330 cat

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Arizona Resident!
  '
Keith Bowers

Post by Keith Bowers »

'If will be a simple fix---if you want to do it. Simply make and install a simple 'wrap' around the muffler and exhaust pipe to act as a radiant heat barrier.   Buy a length of 24" wide aluminum flashing , cut lengths long enough to wrap around the muffler with an air gap of at least an inch. Cut  2" wide strips of '6"thick'.  fiberglas insulation batt to wrap half way around and use them to pad between the muffler and aluminum shield to prevent contact. Stagger the placement around the circumference so air can flow past them. Then fasten the shield together at the seam with short (3/8") pop rivets  or self tapping sheet metal screws.    It sounds much more complicated that it actually is.  My Engineering analysis says this should reduce the heat transmitted to the generator by 300% at least. (lowering the radiating temperature by half reduces radiant flux 6 fold.
On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 11:35 PM, robsandfreak@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Arizona Resident!

--
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.   -Winston Churchill- '
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Same thing here Kieth I think you wanted this to go to Robert, though I think a lot more parts than wrapping with Fiberglass exhaust wrap.
Bill Edwards
On Friday, May 11, 2018, 7:53:16 AM MDT, Keith Bowers kebowers47@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

If will be a simple fix---if you want to do it. Simply make and install a simple 'wrap' around the muffler and exhaust pipe to act as a radiant heat barrier.   Buy a length of 24" wide aluminum flashing , cut lengths long enough to wrap around the muffler with an air gap of at least an inch. Cut  2" wide strips of '6"thick'.  fiberglas insulation batt to wrap half way around and use them to pad between the muffler and aluminum shield to prevent contact. Stagger the placement around the circumference so air can flow past them. Then fasten the shield together at the seam with short (3/8") pop rivets  or self tapping sheet metal screws.    It sounds much more complicated that it actually is.  My Engineering analysis says this should reduce the heat transmitted to the generator by 300% at least. (lowering the radiating temperature by half reduces radiant flux 6 fold.

Arizona Resident!

--
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.   -Winston Churchill- '
Keith Bowers

Post by Keith Bowers »

'thanks.. Not ;exhaust wrap', but a sheet of aluminum flashing wrapped around, with fiberglass pads to keep it from touching and making noise. Air flowing through the gap will lower the skin temp of the aluminum by some 300 degrees, reducing the radiant heat flux by 80%.  The 'Alabama Heat Shield ' need cover only the side of the muffler facing the generator.  
Similar radiant heat shields are widely used in lots of autos, airplanes, and other radiiant heat problem areas.
On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Same thing here Kieth I think you wanted this to go to Robert, though I think a lot more parts than wrapping with Fiberglass exhaust wrap.
Bill Edwards
On Friday, May 11, 2018, 7:53:16 AM MDT, Keith Bowers kebowers47@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

If will be a simple fix---if you want to do it. Simply make and install a simple 'wrap' around the muffler and exhaust pipe to act as a radiant heat barrier.   Buy a length of 24" wide aluminum flashing , cut lengths long enough to wrap around the muffler with an air gap of at least an inch. Cut  2" wide strips of '6"thick'.  fiberglas insulation batt to wrap half way around and use them to pad between the muffler and aluminum shield to prevent contact. Stagger the placement around the circumference so air can flow past them. Then fasten the shield together at the seam with short (3/8") pop rivets  or self tapping sheet metal screws.    It sounds much more complicated that it actually is.  My Engineering analysis says this should reduce the heat transmitted to the generator by 300% at least. (lowering the radiating temperature by half reduces radiant flux 6 fold.

Arizona Resident!

--
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.   -Winston Churchill-

--
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

'Hi Keith  If you have the time, can you do a simple end cross section drawing,hand horizontal cross section then take a picture of the drawing and post it please? I am trying to follow this but having trouble with the gaps and so on.  Thanks  Robert and Bev 2000 Safari Continental3126B 330hpMD3060 Allison  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2018 2:35 PM
To: Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends]
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] 7.5 Quiet Diesel Overheat cooling air drawn over muffler    thanks.. Not ;exhaust wrap', but a sheet of aluminum flashing wrapped around, with fiberglass pads to keep it from touching and making noise. Air flowing through the gap will lower the skin temp of the aluminum by some 300 degrees, reducing the radiant heat flux by 80%.  The 'Alabama Heat Shield ' need cover only the side of the muffler facing the generator.    Similar radiant heat shields are widely used in lots of autos, airplanes, and other radiiant heat problem areas.  On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
  Same thing here Kieth I think you wanted this to go to Robert, though I think a lot more parts than wrapping with Fiberglass exhaust wrap.  Bill Edwards  On Friday, May 11, 2018, 7:53:16 AM MDT, Keith Bowers kebowers47@... [Safarifriends] wrote:      If will be a simple fix---if you want to do it. Simply make and install a simple 'wrap' around the muffler and exhaust pipe to act as a radiant heat barrier.   Buy a length of 24" wide aluminum flashing , cut lengths long enough to wrap around the muffler with an air gap of at least an inch. Cut  2" wide strips of '6"thick'.  fiberglas insulation batt to wrap half way around and use them to pad between the muffler and aluminum shield to prevent contact. Stagger the placement around the circumference so air can flow past them. Then fasten the shield together at the seam with short (3/8") pop rivets  or self tapping sheet metal screws.    It sounds much more complicated that it actually is.  My Engineering analysis says this should reduce the heat transmitted to the generator by 300% at least. (lowering the radiating temperature by half reduces radiant flux 6 fold.  On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 11:35 PM, robsandfreak@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  Arizona Resident!I have found that my generator likes to complain about the ambient temperature when I try to pull both roof acs while traveling down the road. It doesn't seem to be as much of a issue until you come to a stop for a quick rest area or a long red light. I will assume that the great design of the generators cooling air intake being sourced directly above the muffler is a big contributor to the incident.I DO NOT HAVE ANY ISSUE OF OVERHEAT with the generator until the  coach engine and its exhaust system are contributing heat after reaching operating temperature. The generator case and radiator have been regularly cleaned and serviced.Any thoughts or experiences, or modifications, especially a original owner who pointed Safari s design ERROR out to them would be interesting to hear about. 
 -- We sleep soundly in our beds because rough menstand ready in the night to visit violence on thosewho would do us harm. -Winston Churchill-

-- We sleep soundly in our beds because rough menstand ready in the night to visit violence on thosewho would do us harm. -Winston Churchill-'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Robert this does not really apply to us and is a cobble job in my opinion making a simple job complicated. The same can be done with exhaust wrap on the piping. The muffler gets plenty of air in our coaches and in the other coaches. The problem heating is in the coaches that have the gennys in the left rear and the exhaust piping runs under the genny before getting to the muffler. The piping also makes a 90 degree turn under the bedroom floor in a captive air space where there is little air movement creating a very hot spot. His idea is simple enough in idea but exicuting it a lot more difficult and making it look professional.
Bill
On Saturday, May 12, 2018, 10:19:14 AM MDT, 'Robert Lewis' robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi Keith  If you have the time, can you do a simple end cross section drawing,hand horizontal cross section then take a picture of the drawing and post it please? I am trying to follow this but having trouble with the gaps and so on.  Thanks  Robert and Bev 2000 Safari Continental3126B 330hpMD3060 Allison  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] 7.5 Quiet Diesel Overheat cooling air drawn over muffler    thanks.. Not ;exhaust wrap', but a sheet of aluminum flashing wrapped around, with fiberglass pads to keep it from touching and making noise. Air flowing through the gap will lower the skin temp of the aluminum by some 300 degrees, reducing the radiant heat flux by 80%.  The 'Alabama Heat Shield ' need cover only the side of the muffler facing the generator.    Similar radiant heat shields are widely used in lots of autos, airplanes, and other radiiant heat problem areas.  On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  Same thing here Kieth I think you wanted this to go to Robert, though I think a lot more parts than wrapping with Fiberglass exhaust wrap.  Bill Edwards  On Friday, May 11, 2018, 7:53:16 AM MDT, Keith Bowers kebowers47@... [Safarifriends] wrote:      If will be a simple fix---if you want to do it. Simply make and install a simple 'wrap' around the muffler and exhaust pipe to act as a radiant heat barrier.   Buy a length of 24" wide aluminum flashing , cut lengths long enough to wrap around the muffler with an air gap of at least an inch. Cut  2" wide strips of '6"thick'.  fiberglas insulation batt to wrap half way around and use them to pad between the muffler and aluminum shield to prevent contact. Stagger the placement around the circumference so air can flow past them. Then fasten the shield together at the seam with short (3/8") pop rivets  or self tapping sheet metal screws.    It sounds much more complicated that it actually is.  My Engineering analysis says this should reduce the heat transmitted to the generator by 300% at least. (lowering the radiating temperature by half reduces radiant flux 6 fold.  On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 11:35 PM, robsandfreak@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  Arizona Resident!I have found that my generator likes to complain about the ambient temperature when I try to pull both roof acs while traveling down the road. It doesn't seem to be as much of a issue until you come to a stop for a quick rest area or a long red light. I will assume that the great design of the generators cooling air intake being sourced directly above the muffler is a big contributor to the incident.I DO NOT HAVE ANY ISSUE OF OVERHEAT with the generator until the  coach engine and its exhaust system are contributing heat after reaching operating temperature. The generator case and radiator have been regularly cleaned and serviced.Any thoughts or experiences, or modifications, especially a original owner who pointed Safari s design ERROR out to them would be interesting to hear about. 

-- We sleep soundly in our beds because rough menstand ready in the night to visit violence on thosewho would do us harm. -Winston Churchill-

-- We sleep soundly in our beds because rough menstand ready in the night to visit violence on thosewho would do us harm. -Winston Churchill- '
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Another point on this is the practicality of the insulation in an area prone to lots of water and other thrown up junk. The exhaust wrap is tightly woven fiberglass and after coating does not care and drys out almost immediately. 
Bill
On Saturday, May 12, 2018, 10:19:14 AM MDT, 'Robert Lewis' robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi Keith  If you have the time, can you do a simple end cross section drawing,hand horizontal cross section then take a picture of the drawing and post it please? I am trying to follow this but having trouble with the gaps and so on.  Thanks  Robert and Bev 2000 Safari Continental3126B 330hpMD3060 Allison  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] 7.5 Quiet Diesel Overheat cooling air drawn over muffler    thanks.. Not ;exhaust wrap', but a sheet of aluminum flashing wrapped around, with fiberglass pads to keep it from touching and making noise. Air flowing through the gap will lower the skin temp of the aluminum by some 300 degrees, reducing the radiant heat flux by 80%.  The 'Alabama Heat Shield ' need cover only the side of the muffler facing the generator.    Similar radiant heat shields are widely used in lots of autos, airplanes, and other radiiant heat problem areas.  On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  Same thing here Kieth I think you wanted this to go to Robert, though I think a lot more parts than wrapping with Fiberglass exhaust wrap.  Bill Edwards  On Friday, May 11, 2018, 7:53:16 AM MDT, Keith Bowers kebowers47@... [Safarifriends] wrote:      If will be a simple fix---if you want to do it. Simply make and install a simple 'wrap' around the muffler and exhaust pipe to act as a radiant heat barrier.   Buy a length of 24" wide aluminum flashing , cut lengths long enough to wrap around the muffler with an air gap of at least an inch. Cut  2" wide strips of '6"thick'.  fiberglas insulation batt to wrap half way around and use them to pad between the muffler and aluminum shield to prevent contact. Stagger the placement around the circumference so air can flow past them. Then fasten the shield together at the seam with short (3/8") pop rivets  or self tapping sheet metal screws.    It sounds much more complicated that it actually is.  My Engineering analysis says this should reduce the heat transmitted to the generator by 300% at least. (lowering the radiating temperature by half reduces radiant flux 6 fold.  On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 11:35 PM, robsandfreak@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  Arizona Resident!I have found that my generator likes to complain about the ambient temperature when I try to pull both roof acs while traveling down the road. It doesn't seem to be as much of a issue until you come to a stop for a quick rest area or a long red light. I will assume that the great design of the generators cooling air intake being sourced directly above the muffler is a big contributor to the incident.I DO NOT HAVE ANY ISSUE OF OVERHEAT with the generator until the  coach engine and its exhaust system are contributing heat after reaching operating temperature. The generator case and radiator have been regularly cleaned and serviced.Any thoughts or experiences, or modifications, especially a original owner who pointed Safari s design ERROR out to them would be interesting to hear about. 

-- We sleep soundly in our beds because rough menstand ready in the night to visit violence on thosewho would do us harm. -Winston Churchill- '
Dee

Post by Dee »

'Hmmm... I follow what you are suggesting Keith... pretty simple!
EdD1998 Safari 2620 Class C
On May 12, 2018, at 9:37 AM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Robert this does not really apply to us and is a cobble job in my opinion making a simple job complicated. The same can be done with exhaust wrap on the piping. The muffler gets plenty of air in our coaches and in the other coaches. The problem heating is in the coaches that have the gennys in the left rear and the exhaust piping runs under the genny before getting to the muffler. The piping also makes a 90 degree turn under the bedroom floor in a captive air space where there is little air movement creating a very hot spot. His idea is simple enough in idea but exicuting it a lot more difficult and making it look professional.
Bill On Saturday, May 12, 2018, 10:19:14 AM MDT, 'Robert Lewis' robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

'