Re: Hurricane question and hose routing/exchanger locations

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Bill Edwards

Hurricane question and hose routing/exchanger locations

Post by Bill Edwards »

'Dale yes the Hurricane can pre-heat the Engine and it can use the engine heat to warm the coach while runnin down the road with out the hurricane boiler running. Yes it will heat the hot water in the hot water heater. It gets complicated here. It first heats the hurricane coolant or boiler antifreeze. This anti freeze/fluid runs throuugh the water to water copper tube heat exchanger next to it in the Hurricane bay. One coil/tube in that exchanger is fresh water to the water heater. vAll of this is done with out moving the valves. You only need to turn on the switch, the red one on the paanel that says "engine heat" when the engine is included in the heating system. There must be an elecrtically actuated valve some where...Is there sych an item...Where?  Maybe I should call ITR next week. 
The question here is where is the coolant to coolant exchanger located for the exchange of engine heat to the Hurricane fluid??? It is going to be easier ii your coach to track down the hose route than in mine as my control valves that are located under you bed, are in my coach, located in the Hurricane bay up front. Hoses are buried in the wiring and every thing else bundle hidden behind the water tank and such getting back to the engine bay.
Any one with some perspective on this would be appreciated.

Bill Edwards1999 Panther'
dalemaggio

Post by dalemaggio »

' Hi Bill. I am currently working the Apple developers conference. Although we're not allowed to say the name. They are running us from 8 in the morning till 11 at night. I will not even have a chance to see the coach until sometime next week.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 05/19/2018 5:20 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: Yahoogroups
Subject: [Safarifriends] Hurricane question and hose routing/exchanger locations

Dale yes the Hurricane can pre-heat the Engine and it can use the engine heat to warm the coach while runnin down the road with out the hurricane boiler running. Yes it will heat the hot water in the hot water heater. It gets complicated here. It first heats the hurricane coolant or boiler antifreeze. This anti freeze/fluid runs throuugh the water to water copper tube heat exchanger next to it in the Hurricane bay. One coil/tube in that exchanger is fresh water to the water heater. vAll of this is done with out moving the valves. You only need to turn on the switch, the red one on the paanel that says "engine heat" when the engine is included in the heating system. There must be an elecrtically actuated valve some where...Is there sych an item...Where?  Maybe I should call ITR next week. 
The question here is where is the coolant to coolant exchanger located for the exchange of engine heat to the Hurricane fluid??? It is going to be easier ii your coach to track down the hose route than in mine as my control valves that are located under you bed, are in my coach, located in the Hurricane bay up front. Hoses are buried in the wiring and every thing else bundle hidden behind the water tank and such getting back to the engine bay.

Bill Edwards1999 Panther
'
rob shelton

Post by rob shelton »

' To all concerned. I have a 98 37' serengeti with the hurricane heater. My two valves are located next to one exchanger which is next to the hurricane. There is another exchanger located on the front of my water heater ( changed out heater last summer) I have never found but one pump. When I turn on the heater switch over the mid-entry door it turns on the pump, you can hear it run as it is over the hurricane on  cross member. it will heat the engine if I also have my electric hot water heater on. I added a switch under the sink so I wouldn't have to trip breaker for on and off. I think with the engine running it circulates water to the exchanger by the hurricane? I know the small dc pump will send water to the hot water tank and the cabin heaters at the same time. Perhaps the second set of hoses on the hot water tank exchanger go to the engine thus heating that water. there is engine heater hoses all the way to the dash a/c heater, I just repaired a fitting under the front center behind the front cap Engine antifreeze. I have a separate surge tank for the hurricane under the bed. The only way I can figure this works is because the two exchangers are tied together. There are tubes inside them so the anti-freeze doesnt mix. People tell me I have another pump somewhere, can't find one, nor hear one running. The diagrams from ITR are pretty basic but don't match my coach. Folks... it works! in real cold weather it helps to start early to get the floors warm from one basement heater, ceramic tile is nice but cold, espescially over the rear wheal well in the passenger side hallway. I throw rug heaps of help. .
sorry for the long post but anyone trying to figure these things will scratch their heads a time or two. rob 1998 37' serengeti 300 cat allison 6spd
On Sunday, May 20, 2018, 7:10:03 PM CDT, dalemaggio dalemaggio@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi Bill. I am currently working the Apple developers conference. Although we're not allowed to say the name. They are running us from 8 in the morning till 11 at night. I will not even have a chance to see the coach until sometime next week.

Subject: [Safarifriends] Hurricane question and hose routing/exchanger locations

Dale yes the Hurricane can pre-heat the Engine and it can use the engine heat to warm the coach while runnin down the road with out the hurricane boiler running. Yes it will heat the hot water in the hot water heater. It gets complicated here. It first heats the hurricane coolant or boiler antifreeze. This anti freeze/fluid runs throuugh the water to water copper tube heat exchanger next to it in the Hurricane bay. One coil/tube in that exchanger is fresh water to the water heater. vAll of this is done with out moving the valves. You only need to turn on the switch, the red one on the paanel that says "engine heat" when the engine is included in the heating system. There must be an elecrtically actuated valve some where...Is there sych an item...Where?  Maybe I should call ITR next week. 

Bill Edwards1999 Panther

Image Virus-free. www.avg.com '
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Rob,
I am working on it and now with the manuals will solve it..  The coil beside the water heater has boller coolant in it and fresh water. I know this because initially the boiler had green anti freeze in it. The engine coolant is CAT ELC, pink. The coil froze last year and I has to replace it and did so with a brazed plate unit.... any way yes it works just want to know how.  more later
Bill Edwards1999 Panther
On Sunday, May 20, 2018, 7:39:52 PM MDT, rob shelton rrshelton2@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

To all concerned. I have a 98 37' serengeti with the hurricane heater. My two valves are located next to one exchanger which is next to the hurricane. There is another exchanger located on the front of my water heater ( changed out heater last summer) I have never found but one pump. When I turn on the heater switch over the mid-entry door it turns on the pump, you can hear it run as it is over the hurricane on  cross member. it will heat the engine if I also have my electric hot water heater on. I added a switch under the sink so I wouldn't have to trip breaker for on and off. I think with the engine running it circulates water to the exchanger by the hurricane? I know the small dc pump will send water to the hot water tank and the cabin heaters at the same time. Perhaps the second set of hoses on the hot water tank exchanger go to the engine thus heating that water. there is engine heater hoses all the way to the dash a/c heater, I just repaired a fitting under the front center behind the front cap Engine antifreeze. I have a separate surge tank for the hurricane under the bed. The only way I can figure this works is because the two exchangers are tied together. There are tubes inside them so the anti-freeze doesnt mix. People tell me I have another pump somewhere, can't find one, nor hear one running. The diagrams from ITR are pretty basic but don't match my coach. Folks... it works! in real cold weather it helps to start early to get the floors warm from one basement heater, ceramic tile is nice but cold, espescially over the rear wheal well in the passenger side hallway. I throw rug heaps of help. .
sorry for the long post but anyone trying to figure these things will scratch their heads a time or two. rob 1998 37' serengeti 300 cat allison 6spd
On Sunday, May 20, 2018, 7:10:03 PM CDT, dalemaggio dalemaggio@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi Bill. I am currently working the Apple developers conference. Although we're not allowed to say the name. They are running us from 8 in the morning till 11 at night. I will not even have a chance to see the coach until sometime next week.

Bill Edwards1999 Panther

ImageVirus-free. www.avg.com '
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' I will look forwards to it...work hard and fast
Bill
On Sunday, May 20, 2018, 6:10:03 PM MDT, dalemaggio dalemaggio@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Bill Edwards1999 Panther
'
rob shelton

Post by rob shelton »

' Whoops, on rereading my long post.... I failed to mention that I was using the hot water heater on electric without the hurricane to heat the engine. At the time I had a bad temp sensor so slow, bad start. Didn't need cabin heat, not that cold, just cold enough at 8200 ft that I had start problem. about 45 min to 120 min are needed.. thanks  for your patience rob shelton 98 37' serengeti 300 cat, allison 6spd
On Sunday, May 20, 2018, 8:39:51 PM CDT, rob shelton rrshelton2@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

To all concerned. I have a 98 37' serengeti with the hurricane heater. My two valves are located next to one exchanger which is next to the hurricane. There is another exchanger located on the front of my water heater ( changed out heater last summer) I have never found but one pump. When I turn on the heater switch over the mid-entry door it turns on the pump, you can hear it run as it is over the hurricane on  cross member. it will heat the engine if I also have my electric hot water heater on. I added a switch under the sink so I wouldn't have to trip breaker for on and off. I think with the engine running it circulates water to the exchanger by the hurricane? I know the small dc pump will send water to the hot water tank and the cabin heaters at the same time. Perhaps the second set of hoses on the hot water tank exchanger go to the engine thus heating that water. there is engine heater hoses all the way to the dash a/c heater, I just repaired a fitting under the front center behind the front cap Engine antifreeze. I have a separate surge tank for the hurricane under the bed. The only way I can figure this works is because the two exchangers are tied together. There are tubes inside them so the anti-freeze doesnt mix. People tell me I have another pump somewhere, can't find one, nor hear one running. The diagrams from ITR are pretty basic but don't match my coach. Folks... it works! in real cold weather it helps to start early to get the floors warm from one basement heater, ceramic tile is nice but cold, espescially over the rear wheal well in the passenger side hallway. I throw rug heaps of help. .

Bill Edwards1999 Panther

ImageVirus-free. www.avg.com '
TD

Post by TD »

'Rob,

If that is the case, thinking logically, you must have another pump. How else would you have been able to transfer the heat from the water heater to the engine, to heat that big block???

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA, Allison
6spd.
On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 8:08 AM, rob shelton rrshelton2@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Whoops, on rereading my long post.... I failed to mention that I was using the hot water heater on electric without the hurricane to heat the engine. At the time I had a bad temp sensor so slow, bad start. Didn't need cabin heat, not that cold, just cold enough at 8200 ft that I had start problem. about 45 min to 120 min are needed.. thanks  for your patience rob shelton 98 37' serengeti 300 cat, allison 6spd

On Sunday, May 20, 2018, 8:39:51 PM CDT, rob shelton rrshelton2@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Bill Edwards1999 Panther

ImageVirus-free. www.avg.com
'
Roland Hyatt

Post by Roland Hyatt »

'John ( And everybody ):

What in the world would we all do with these orphans without each other???

Hang in there.

Roland Hyatt
Fallon, Nevada
1995 Serengeti 35, 300hp 6CTA 8.3, 6 spd'
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

'I've never seen a second pump on my system. My rig is in the driveway and I just walked out and threw the Engine Heat switch. I heard the regular system circulation pump come on as it normally does. I suspect there's only one pump and it circulates coolant through the engine whenever it's running. The Engine Heat switch just turns on the pump without firing the boiler.
The Hurricane boiler certainly has the BTUs to spare as the engine heat exchanger just behaves as another zone on the system. Keeps the plumbing simpler that way too.
Tom Masterson1998 Serengeti 3706300hp Cat, Allison 3060'
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
rob shelton

Post by rob shelton »

' John, I used electiric hot water, and the single pump over the door that runs fluid throughout the hurricane system, I think? kinda confusing with my long post and omissions. Rob 98 37' serengeti, 300 cat allison 6spd
On Monday, May 21, 2018, 10:08:32 AM CDT, TD sdjhtm@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Rob,

If that is the case, thinking logically, you must have another pump. How else would you have been able to transfer the heat from the water heater to the engine, to heat that big block???

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, 300 Cummins 8.3CTA, Allison
6spd.

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 8:08 AM, rob shelton rrshelton2@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Whoops, on rereading my long post.... I failed to mention that I was using the hot water heater on electric without the hurricane to heat the engine. At the time I had a bad temp sensor so slow, bad start. Didn't need cabin heat, not that cold, just cold enough at 8200 ft that I had start problem. about 45 min to 120 min are needed.. thanks  for your patience rob shelton 98 37' serengeti 300 cat, allison 6spd

To all concerned. I have a 98 37' serengeti with the hurricane heater. My two valves are located next to one exchanger which is next to the hurricane. There is another exchanger located on the front of my water heater ( changed out heater last summer) I have never found but one pump. When I turn on the heater switch over the mid-entry door it turns on the pump, you can hear it run as it is over the hurricane on  cross member. it will heat the engine if I also have my electric hot water heater on. I added a switch under the sink so I wouldn't have to trip breaker for on and off. I think with the engine running it circulates water to the exchanger by the hurricane? I know the small dc pump will send water to the hot water tank and the cabin heaters at the same time. Perhaps the second set of hoses on the hot water tank exchanger go to the engine thus heating that water. there is engine heater hoses all the way to the dash a/c heater, I just repaired a fitting under the front center behind the front cap Engine antifreeze. I have a separate surge tank for the hurricane under the bed.. The only way I can figure this works is because the two exchangers are tied together. There are tubes inside them so the anti-freeze doesnt mix. People tell me I have another pump somewhere, can't find one, nor hear one running. The diagrams from ITR are pretty basic but don't match my coach. Folks... it works! in real cold weather it helps to start early to get the floors warm from one basement heater, ceramic tile is nice but cold, espescially over the rear wheal well in the passenger side hallway. I throw rug heaps of help. .

Bill Edwards1999 Panther

ImageVirus-free. www.avg.com

'