Re: Why still rear radiators? (was: Rear radiator shroud vs a "Louve

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
dewey2501

Air flow increase with electric fans on rear of radiator

Post by dewey2501 »

'I posted a picture a few weeks ago of the rear of my rig with 2 electric fans on the rear of the radiator to help push the air out past the fins.  The anemometer I ordered finally showed up, so I have some air flow readings to show the difference so far.  At idle with the meter on the fins, I'm pushing 6.1 knots of air past the meter.  With the fans on, the airflow increases to 13.8 knots of air, so almost double what the engine driven fan pushes out.
I'll know more once we head out on vacation in July, but so far they are doing exactly what they were installed for - moving the air out of the engine compartment past the radiator.  I did discover with them on that you have to work at it to raise the bed - you can feel the pull on it when they are running.

I tried to figure out other readings on the meter that would make more sense, but the meter is smarter than I am.  I might try it again using the ft/min setting and see what it comes up with just out of curiosity.
Duane96 30' Sahara, 250hp Cat, Allison 6spdSpokane WA

'
Martin Stevens

Re: Air flow increase with electric fans on rear of radiator

Post by Martin Stevens »

' I'd like to know if you've measured the temp with and without after a difficult hill.  Additionally, I'd like to see your installation some time.
Martin Stevens2000 ZanzibarSpokane, WA
On June 1, 2018 at 6:55 PM "dewey2501@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

I posted a picture a few weeks ago of the rear of my rig with 2 electric fans on the rear of the radiator to help push the air out past the fins.  The anemometer I ordered finally showed up, so I have some air flow readings to show the difference so far.  At idle with the meter on the fins, I'm pushing 6.1 knots of air past the meter.  With the fans on, the airflow increases to 13.8 knots of air, so almost double what the engine driven fan pushes out.
I'll know more once we head out on vacation in July, but so far they are doing exactly what they were installed for - moving the air out of the engine compartment past the radiator.  I did discover with them on that you have to work at it to raise the bed - you can feel the pull on it when they are running.

I tried to figure out other readings on the meter that would make more sense, but the meter is smarter than I am.  I might try it again using the ft/min setting and see what it comes up with just out of curiosity.

'
Duane Buck

Post by Duane Buck »

' Martin,The only reference I've got right now was that last year I ran hot - way, way too hot!  I cleaned the radiator last fall before we started installing the fans, then since I nicked the radiator had to pull it and have it fixed. While it was out I further cleaned the radiator and CAC (which didn't really get that much additional out after my first cleanings).  I'll have my rig back at my house in Shadle around the 19th of this month if you'd like to see what we did to install the fans on it.  We will be traveling to CA in July via Meechum, down through Las Vegas, so I'm sure I'll get to experience some heat and hills on the trip.

Duane96 30' Sahara, 250hp Cat, Allison 6spdSpokane Wa
On Friday, June 1, 2018, 7:19:14 PM PDT, MARTIN STEVENS martin.stevens@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I'd like to know if you've measured the temp with and without after a difficult hill.  Additionally, I'd like to see your installation some time.

I posted a picture a few weeks ago of the rear of my rig with 2 electric fans on the rear of the radiator to help push the air out past the fins.  The anemometer I ordered finally showed up, so I have some air flow readings to show the difference so far.  At idle with the meter on the fins, I'm pushing 6.1 knots of air past the meter.  With the fans on, the airflow increases to 13.8 knots of air, so almost double what the engine driven fan pushes out.

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Duane, you may have done so already and I missed it, but could you post the link to your fans please. I also had an overheating problem.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Continental3126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
On June 1, 2018 7:32:07 PM "Duane Buck dewey2-501@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Martin,The only reference I've got right now was that last year I ran hot - way, way too hot!  I cleaned the radiator last fall before we started installing the fans, then since I nicked the radiator had to pull it and have it fixed. While it was out I further cleaned the radiator and CAC (which didn't really get that much additional out after my first cleanings).  I'll have my rig back at my house in Shadle around the 19th of this month if you'd like to see what we did to install the fans on it.  We will be traveling to CA in July via Meechum, down through Las Vegas, so I'm sure I'll get to experience some heat and hills on the trip.

On Friday, June 1, 2018, 7:19:14 PM PDT, MARTIN STEVENS martin.stevens@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I'd like to know if you've measured the temp with and without after a difficult hill.  Additionally, I'd like to see your installation some time.

'
Duane Buck

Post by Duane Buck »

' Robert,I got mine off eBay - they were listed as 16 inch 3000 cfm 120 watt fans. A similar listing is 262913134668 for $48.54, and there are others in the same price range.  There are some that are listed as 80 or 90 watt units, but at the advice of my nephew I went with the higher wattage ones since the motors are heavier duty.
On Friday, June 1, 2018, 9:32:26 PM PDT, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Duane, you may have done so already and I missed it, but could you post the link to your fans please. I also had an overheating problem.

Martin,The only reference I've got right now was that last year I ran hot - way, way too hot!  I cleaned the radiator last fall before we started installing the fans, then since I nicked the radiator had to pull it and have it fixed. While it was out I further cleaned the radiator and CAC (which didn't really get that much additional out after my first cleanings).  I'll have my rig back at my house in Shadle around the 19th of this month if you'd like to see what we did to install the fans on it.  We will be traveling to CA in July via Meechum, down through Las Vegas, so I'm sure I'll get to experience some heat and hills on the trip.

'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Robert, you do not need these if the CAC is clean and clean between. The earlier set up that is being referenced is completely different. Air flow is not controlled like our coaches. I know I have a side radiator and yours is a rear but my Zanzibar is a rear and the cleaning I did made all the difference in the world. Do you have a Silverleaf in your coach? If not the gauges are lying to to you anyway. They typically run hot on the analogue gauages. You should also do a radiator flush, new coolant and regulators (2).
Bill
On Friday, June 1, 2018, 10:32:27 PM MDT, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Duane, you may have done so already and I missed it, but could you post the link to your fans please. I also had an overheating problem.

'
Martin Stevens

Post by Martin Stevens »

' I live on Indian Trail, and I'd love to see what you did.  Give me a call when your coach is back.  230-3013Martin Stevens2000 Zanzibar
On June 1, 2018 at 7:30 PM "Duane Buck dewey2501@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

'
John Clevenger

Post by John Clevenger »

'Very important to understand how useless the analogue gauges are, mine were 30 d off and Silverleaf is the best thing for the RV group too! JohnC  96 Safari Sahara 3540 250 Cat2015 TJ/Fusion(O) I I I I I I I (O)  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2018 2:34 AM
To: Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends]
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Air flow increase with electric fans on rear of radiator    Robert, you do not need these if the CAC is clean and clean between. The earlier set up that is being referenced is completely different. Air flow is not controlled like our coaches. I know I have a side radiator and yours is a rear but my Zanzibar is a rear and the cleaning I did made all the difference in the world. Do you have a Silverleaf in your coach? If not the gauges are lying to to you anyway. They typically run hot on the analogue gauages. You should also do a radiator flush, new coolant and regulators (2).  Bill  On Friday, June 1, 2018, 10:32:27 PM MDT, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:      Duane, you may have done so already and I missed it, but could you post the link to your fans please. I also had an overheating problem.  Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Continental3126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison    On June 1, 2018 7:32:07 PM "Duane Buck dewey2-501@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:
  Martin,The only reference I've got right now was that last year I ran hot - way, way too hot!  I cleaned the radiator last fall before we started installing the fans, then since I nicked the radiator had to pull it and have it fixed. While it was out I further cleaned the radiator and CAC (which didn't really get that much additional out after my first cleanings).  I'll have my rig back at my house in Shadle around the 19th of this month if you'd like to see what we did to install the fans on it.  We will be traveling to CA in July via Meechum, down through Las Vegas, so I'm sure I'll get to experience some heat and hills on the trip.  Duane96 30' Sahara, 250hp Cat, Allison 6spdSpokane Wa  On Friday, June 1, 2018, 7:19:14 PM PDT, MARTIN STEVENS martin.stevens@... [Safarifriends] wrote:     

Martin Stevens
2000 Zanzibar
Spokane, WA

On June 1, 2018 at 6:55 PM "dewey2501@... [Safarifriends] " wrote:

I posted a picture a few weeks ago of the rear of my rig with 2 electric fans on the rear of the radiator to help push the air out past the fins.  The anemometer I ordered finally showed up, so I have some air flow readings to show the difference so far.  At idle with the meter on the fins, I'm pushing 6.1 knots of air past the meter.  With the fans on, the airflow increases to 13.8 knots of air, so almost double what the engine driven fan pushes out.  I'll know more once we head out on vacation in July, but so far they are doing exactly what they were installed for - moving the air out of the engine compartment past the radiator.  I did discov er with them on that you have to work at it to raise the bed - you can feel the pull on it when they are running.  I tried to figure out other readings on the meter that would make more sense, but the meter is smarter than I am.  I might try it again using the ft/min setting and see what it comes up with just out of curiosity.  Duane96 30' Sahara, 250hp Cat, Allison 6spdSpokane WA   

'
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

'Duane,  I have addressed my overheating problems in the past on this site so those with overheating who have our setup of stacked radiator /CAC should read them.  Yes I did flushing and cleaning with new thermostat and all 3 temp gauges read the same high temps.  The transmission temps would also climb.  The problem was not a bad gauge.  I got to the same frustrated point as you and installed two 17" fans.  If you look under the radiator you will see the limited space that is open for air to flow up from below to the front of the radiator.  Since the top area is boxed in, the air that can be sucked to the top is through the vents which is mainly recirculated hot air from the radiator.   After adding a side air scoop and a diesel radiator coolant additive, my temps dropped from a constant 190 degrees (even at idle) to 178 degrees. Now my fans don't come on even at the lowest setting at 90 degree temps with high turbo use.I still have not tested the system in 100 plus degrees with high turbo use but I am confident my overheating problems are a thing of the past.I hope you also have positive results.Gerry1997 Sahara 300 cat

Sent from my iPad
On Jun 2, 2018, at 3:34 AM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Robert, you do not need these if the CAC is clean and clean between. The earlier set up that is being referenced is completely different. Air flow is not controlled like our coaches. I know I have a side radiator and yours is a rear but my Zanzibar is a rear and the cleaning I did made all the difference in the world. Do you have a Silverleaf in your coach? If not the gauges are lying to to you anyway. They typically run hot on the analogue gauages. You should also do a radiator flush, new coolant and regulators (2).
Bill
On Friday, June 1, 2018, 10:32:27 PM MDT, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

'
John Clevenger

Post by John Clevenger »

'Last year we had a family get together in Yuma and they picked July. The heat was 110 to 122 all week; two things I learn;  a clean radiator works great and LP tank over 110 will not run the generator, the LP boils big surprise too! But going thru Palm Springs at 122 you just gear down and watch the boost; keep it about 15psi and the temp ran for the rig about 215 all day! Pulling a 6k trailer too!  Coming back to Texas from southern Cal;  we used I215/ I10/I17 to I40 and getting thru I10 out of Riverside over to Phoenix up to I40 was very hot but NP with the rig! JohnC  96 Safari Sahara 3540 250 Cat2015 TJ/Fusion(O) I I I I I I I (O)  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2018 10:01 AM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Air flow increase with electric fans on rear of radiator   
I live on Indian Trail, and I'd love to see what you did.  Give me a call when your coach is back.  230-3013
Martin Stevens
2000 Zanzibar
On June 1, 2018 at 7:30 PM "Duane Buck dewey2501@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

Martin,The only reference I've got right now was that last year I ran hot - way, way too hot!  I cleaned the radiator last fall befo re we started installing the fans, then since I nicked the radiator had to pull it and have it fixed. While it was out I further cleaned the radiator and CAC (which didn't really get that much additional out after my first cleanings).  I'll have my rig back at my house in Shadle around the 19th of this month if you'd like to see what we did to install the fans on it.  We will be traveling to CA in July via Meechum, down through Las Vegas, so I'm sure I'll get to experience some heat and hills on the trip.  Duane96 30' Sahara, 250hp Cat, Allison 6spdSpokane Wa  On Friday, June 1, 2018, 7:19:14 PM PDT, MARTIN STEVENS martin.stevens@... [Safarifriends] & #60;Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com> wrote:      I'd like to know if you've measured the temp with and without after a difficult hill.  Additionally, I'd like to see your installation some time.  Martin Stevens2000 ZanzibarSpoka ne, WA

I posted a picture a few weeks ago of the rear of my rig with 2 electric fans on the rear of the radiator to help push the air out past the fins.  The anemometer I ordered finally showed up, so I have some air flow readings to show the difference so far.  At idle with the meter on the fins, I'm pushing 6.1 knots of air past the meter.  With the fans on, the airflo w increases to 13.8 knots of air, so almost double what the engine driven fan pushes out.  I'll know more once we head out on vacation in July, but so far they are doing exactly what they were installed for - moving the air out of the engine compartment past the radiator.  I did discover with them on that you have to work at it to raise the bed - you can feel the pull on it when they are running.  I tried to figure out other readings on the meter that would make more sense, but the meter is smarter than I am.  I might try it again using the ft/min setting and see what it comes up with just out of curiosity.  Duane96 30' Sahara, 250hp Cat, Allison 6spdSpokane WA    

'