Re: Fwd: Difficulty starting engine

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
H Hyatt

Fwd: Difficulty starting engine

Post by H Hyatt »

'
---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Wed, Jul 25, 2018, 7:23 AM
Subject: Difficulty starting engine
To:

Harold Hyatt'95 SAFARI IVORY, 38' Cummins 6.3 turbo diesel, 6 speed  Allison Transmission 
Hello ALL,
Been quite a while since I have posted. I am having difficulty getting my engine to start. I believe it is fuel starvation,  but, not sure.
It has been a while, but, I distinctly remember a sound of a pump coming on in the engine compartment when the ignition was switched on. And, there was a buzzing under the dash. 
Now: no buzzing, or pump sound from the engine compartment.  Also, my red toggle, "battery couple" switch on my side switch panel appears to have no effect any more. I used to hear a solenoid kick in when it was pressed, and the switch would light up when pressed. 
... suggestions...??? All responses appreciated!
Harold Hyatt'95 SAFARI IVORY, 38' Cummins 6.3 turbo diesel, 6 speed  Allison Transmission  '
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Harold,Have you checked the battery voltage on both house and chassis banks?  Corrosion on the battery cable ends (generally on the positive cable) where they connect to the batteries?
Gary'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 4:13 PM, H Hyatt pilgrim0137@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

To:

Harold Hyatt'95 SAFARI IVORY, 38' Cummins 6.3 turbo diesel, 6 speed  Allison Transmission 
Hello ALL,
Been quite a while since I have posted. I am having difficulty getting my engine to start. I believe it is fuel starvation,  but, not sure.
It has been a while, but, I distinctly remember a sound of a pump coming on in the engine compartment when the ignition was switched on. And, there was a buzzing under the dash. 
Now: no buzzing, or pump sound from the engine compartment.  Also, my red toggle, "battery couple" switch on my side switch panel appears to have no effect any more. I used to hear a solenoid kick in when it was pressed, and the switch would light up when pressed. 
.... suggestions...??? All responses appreciated!

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
H Hyatt

Post by H Hyatt »

'Harold Hyatt '95 SAFARI IVORY, 38'8.3 CUMMINS,  6 SPEED ALLISON 
YUP; First thing... ALL batteries check as good,  no corrosion.  Thanks for the reply.Harold Hyatt '95 SAFARI IVORY, 38'8.3 CUMMINS,  6 SPEED ALLISON 

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018, 5:15 PM Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Harold,Have you checked the battery voltage on both house and chassis banks?  Corrosion on the battery cable ends (generally on the positive cable) where they connect to the batteries?

To:

Hello ALL,

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'HaroldDoes your starter crank the engine but the engine doesn't start?
OR does the starter not crank the engine?Mel'96 Safari

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

To:

Hello ALL,
Harold Hyatt'95 SAFARI IVORY, 38' Cummins 6.3 turbo diesel, 6 speed  Allison Transmission '
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Voltage?
On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 5:26 PM, H Hyatt pilgrim0137@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Harold Hyatt '95 SAFARI IVORY, 38'8.3 CUMMINS,  6 SPEED ALLISON 
YUP; First thing.... ALL batteries check as good,  no corrosion.  Thanks for the reply.Harold Hyatt '95 SAFARI IVORY, 38'8.3 CUMMINS,  6 SPEED ALLISON 

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018, 5:15 PM Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Harold,Have you checked the battery voltage on both house and chassis banks?  Corrosion on the battery cable ends (generally on the positive cable) where they connect to the batteries?

To:

Hello ALL,
..... suggestions...??? All responses appreciated!

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'

Harold,

I suggest you check the ignition solenoid. It should be located near the fuse panels and activate when the key is in the run and start positions. This solenoid is an 80 amp constant duty model and is used to power most of the functions that actuate with
the key. If the solenoid is defective you will not open the fuel shut off solenoid and so, no fuel, no run.

The pumping sound you remember should be the electric vacuum pump for the dash A/C controls.

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

On 7/26/2018 3:13 PM, H Hyatt pilgrim0137@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Harold Hyatt
'95 SAFARI IVORY, 38' Cummins 6.3 turbo diesel, 6 speed  Allison Transmission 

Hello ALL,

Now: no buzzing, or pump sound from the engine compartment.  Also, my red toggle, "battery couple" switch on my side switch panel appears to have no effect any more. I used to hear a solenoid kick in when it was pressed, and the switch would
light up when pressed. 

Harold Hyatt
'95 SAFARI IVORY, 38' Cummins 6.3 turbo diesel, 6 speed  Allison Transmission 

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
H Hyatt

Post by H Hyatt »

Starter spins just fine... it acts like the fuel pressure is off... like is just not getting to the injector pump under pressure. 
Filters are fresh (recent). Winn fuel air/water separator working fine. When stopping for LP; upon shut down... 50/50 chance it will take a while to get it to restart.
Batteries are full charge: voltage is fine.
I'm stumped.  Wondering why I  no longer hear the fuel pump when the switch is turned on... (before starting)? And, the "battery coupler switch" ceasing to work?
On Thu, Jul 26, 2018, 5:29 PM stuplich@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

HaroldDoes your starter crank the engine but the engine doesn't start?
OR does the starter not crank the engine?Mel'96 Safari

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

To:

Hello ALL,
'
Bridget and Gerald

Post by Bridget and Gerald »

'My husband Gerald wants to know if it will crank over but just not starting.  Is it an 8.3 or a 6.3?  He thinks it should be a 8.3.
Bridget Post95 Ivory 38',  8;3 Cummins

On Thursday, July 26, 2018 2:13 PM, "H Hyatt pilgrim0137@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

To:

Hello ALL,

'
H Hyatt

Post by H Hyatt »

Yes, starter engages fine... spins the engine well... and yes, it's an 8.3 liter Cummins.
On Thu, Jul 26, 2018, 8:33 PM Bridget and Gerald outpost1939@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
  My husband Gerald wants to know if it will crank over but just not starting.  Is it an 8.3 or a 6.3?  He thinks it should be a 8.3.

On Thursday, July 26, 2018 2:13 PM, "H Hyatt pilgrim0137@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

To:

Hello ALL,
'
H Hyatt

Post by H Hyatt »

Sorry, ALL... About the "6.3"... dyslexic fingers... it is  Cummins 8.3 litre.
On Thu, Jul 26, 2018, 8:47 PM H Hyatt wrote:
Yes, starter engages fine... spins the engine well... and yes, it's an 8.3 liter Cummins.
On Thu, Jul 26, 2018, 8:33 PM Bridget and Gerald outpost1939@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
  My husband Gerald wants to know if it will crank over but just not starting.  Is it an 8.3 or a 6.3?  He thinks it should be a 8.3.

To:

Hello ALL,
'