Re: So THIS is what a Pacbrake is supposed to do!

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
dewey2501

So THIS is what a Pacbrake is supposed to do!

Post by dewey2501 »

'I got the new diaphragm for the Humphrey valve on Monday, so this morning went and put the actuator back on after lubing the pivot points and the exhaust valve pivot.  There's a nice flat freeway frontage road not too far away, so it was decided to do the test drive on it and see how the exhaust brake felt - all I can say is "WOW"!  From the looks of everything, I haven't had a working exhaust brake on any of the mountain passes for the past two years, and just the short test drive showed me how much of a difference a working one makes.
Now seeing how much of a braking effect it really has on my motorhome, I'm looking forward to our next trip.  Now the transmission downshifts feel a lot smoother (go figure), so going downhill should be a lot easier on my nerves (and the brakes).

Duane
96 30' Sahara, 250hp Cat, Allison 6spd
Spokane WA
'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'Duane
Thumbs up!
With a working Pacbrake you will find that you seldom need to forcefully apply the service brakes.
Here is a braking technique used to control the speed of a motor home, or tow vehicle and trailer, when descending relatively long and/or steep grades. (from Diesel Owners Resource):
"The snub braking technique aims to reduce brake fade through repeated brief moments of heavy service brake  application....followed by periods of coasting....snub braking involves applying the service brakes firmly enough to feel a definite slowing down which reduces your speed by 5 mph in about 3 seconds and then releasing the brake pedal."
Also See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-SzKSD9tPs

BTW I have always regularly used my Pacbrake and my original disc brake pads lasted over 140K miles.

Mel'96 35' Sahara, 150K miles

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote
I got the new diaphragm for the Humphrey valve on Monday, so this morning went and put the actuator back on after lubing the pivot points and the exhaust valve pivot.  There's a nice flat freeway frontage road not too far away, so it was decided to do the test drive on it and see how the exhaust brake felt - all I can say is "WOW"!  From the looks of everything, I haven't had a working exhaust brake on any of the mountain passes for the past two years, and just the short test drive showed me how much of a difference a working one makes.
Now seeing how much of a braking effect it really has on my motorhome, I'm looking forward to our next trip.  Now the transmission downshifts feel a lot smoother (go figure), so going downhill should be a lot easier on my nerves (and the brakes).

Duane
Spokane WA
'
Duane Buck

Post by Duane Buck »

'Mel,Thanks for the info - ironically, I was taught many long years ago when towing a load that it was far better to do what they are referring to as snub braking anyhow.  I've seen too many rigs ride their brakes on grades, have them overheat then wonder why they have no brakes when they need them.  I think the other factor that helped us was that we use a car trailer for our second vehicle, so it had 4 disk brakes working on it to help slow us down a little bit as well when we were going down the grades.  Having a functional pacbrake is probably going to be a learning experience for me now!
Duane96 30' Sahara, 250hp Cat, Allison 6spdSpokane WA

On Thursday, August 16, 2018, 9:07:38 AM PDT, stuplich@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Duane
Thumbs up!
With a working Pacbrake you will find that you seldom need to forcefully apply the service brakes.
Here is a braking technique used to control the speed of a motor home, or tow vehicle and trailer, when descending relatively long and/or steep grades. (from Diesel Owners Resource):
"The snub braking technique aims to reduce brake fade through repeated brief moments of heavy service brake  application....followed by periods of coasting....snub braking involves applying the service brakes firmly enough to feel a definite slowing down which reduces your speed by 5 mph in about 3 seconds and then releasing the brake pedal."
Also See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-SzKSD9tPs

BTW I have always regularly used my Pacbrake and my original disc brake pads lasted over 140K miles.

Mel'96 35' Sahara, 150K miles

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote
I got the new diaphragm for the Humphrey valve on Monday, so this morning went and put the actuator back on after lubing the pivot points and the exhaust valve pivot.  There's a nice flat freeway frontage road not too far away, so it was decided to do the test drive on it and see how the exhaust brake felt - all I can say is "WOW"!  From the looks of everything, I haven't had a working exhaust brake on any of the mountain passes for the past two years, and just the short test drive showed me how much of a difference a working one makes.

Duane
Spokane WA
'
Martin Stevens

Post by Martin Stevens »

' Duane, I think I need some guidance on mine now as I believe it's not working as well.  At your convenience I would like to pick your brain.  Could you call me at 509 230 3013.  Thanks MartyMarty Stevens38 ft 2000 Zanzibarcat 300 hp
On August 15, 2018 at 6:23 PM "dewey2501@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

Duane
Spokane WA

'