Re: Onan Muffler replacement and source?

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
QuantumRift

Onan Muffler replacement and source?

Post by QuantumRift »

'Tried searching, but didn't come up with much - started my Onan genset this morning and it blew out the end of the muffler (front side of muffler) so no exhaust now coming out the back pipe. I'm gonna check YouTube and also search for replacement muffler - anybody have a good source for this muffler?
doug96 Safari Serengeti38' Cat Engine

'
QuantumRift
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
6-speed Allison World Transmission
Duane Buck

Post by Duane Buck »

' Doug,Get RV parts (getrvparts.com) shows it for $78.69 + shipping, eBay has one for $83.00 with free shipping, and there are several others that come up with a simple search.   Most of the Cummins locations can get one for you since they are the authorized dealers for Onan now.
Duane96 30' Sahara, 250hp Cat, Allison 6spdSpokane WA
On Saturday, September 15, 2018, 11:11:23 AM PDT, quantumrift@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Tried searching, but didn't come up with much - started my Onan genset this morning and it blew out the end of the muffler (front side of muffler) so no exhaust now coming out the back pipe. I'm gonna check YouTube and also search for replacement muffler - anybody have a good source for this muffler?

'
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Doug,Don't know what genset you have, but if you search with Google for "Onan 6.3 kw RV generator parts", substituting your generator for the "6.3" you should be able to come up with a parts listing giving the replacement parts numbers.  Then search for the specific part needed based on the part number.  Amazon has some Onan mufflers.  EBay has some.  I have the 6.3 KW propane generator, and found it easy to get a complete parts listing on-line.  Knowing the part number and verifying what it looks like via an image will help you get something that will work.  Of course, you can always go to your local Cummins Coach Care and get the part at full retail. 

Gary'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT 6.3KW Onan
On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 2:11 PM quantumrift@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
  Tried searching, but didn't come up with much - started my Onan genset this morning and it blew out the end of the muffler (front side of muffler) so no exhaust now coming out the back pipe. I'm gonna check YouTube and also search for replacement muffler - anybody have a good source for this muffler?
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
QuantumRift

Post by QuantumRift »

'Update: I was looking around for a muffler and it occurred to me that a muffler for this sort of application, well, is a muffler. I checked YouTube and found many different solutions, several of which were replacing the existing muffler (that is blown out) with an ATV or motorcycle muffler. Tractor muffler....etc. So I might go that route -- does anybody have any experience with just replacing the muffler like this with an ATV muffler. I reckon that a muffler for a 1000cc and up bike would be good...any thoughts?
Doug38' 1996 SerengetiOnan Generator
'
QuantumRift
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
6-speed Allison World Transmission
deanshaw999

Post by deanshaw999 »

'I had a similar problem last year on my 1999 Onan Emerald Plus 6.5 #6.3NHEFA63753P propane generator.  I bought the following parts from Advanced Service And Parts LLC (A.S.A.P) parts@...
1 x Onan 155-1258 Muffler for RV Genset replaces 155-1222 (155-1258)  =
$75.76
1 x 154-2542, Gasket Exhaust Man., Onan RV (154-2542)  = $2.99
1 x 154-2540, Exhaust Adapter, Onan (154-2540)  = $25.96

I also bought a couple of clamps from a local auto parts house and a new exhaust pipe from a Midas shop (they were the only one that carried that diameter pipe and they cut it to length.
Surprisingly all the bolts came out without any problems.  I also replaced the exhaust pipe because it was totally rusted to the muffler.  It turned out to be a fairly simple and quick job.I hope this helps and good luck with yours.Dean Shaw1999 Safari Sahara'
Todd Kelly

Post by Todd Kelly »

' Unsubscribe

Get Outlook for Android
From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com on behalf of quantumrift@... [Safarifriends]
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2018 1:12:04 PM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Onan Muffler replacement and source?

Update: I was looking around for a muffler and it occurred to me that a muffler for this sort of application, well, is a muffler. I checked YouTube and found many different solutions, several of which were replacing the existing muffler (that is blown out) with an ATV or motorcycle muffler. Tractor muffler....etc. So I might go that route -- does anybody have any experience with just replacing the muffler like this with an ATV muffler. I reckon that a muffler for a 1000cc and up bike would be good...any thoughts?
Doug 38' 1996 Serengeti Onan Generator

'
Colin Caldwell

Post by Colin Caldwell »

'Hi DougI was able to order a new muffler kit through Cummins. Colin97 Sahara 3530

Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 15, 2018, at 11:12 AM, quantumrift@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Update: I was looking around for a muffler and it occurred to me that a muffler for this sort of application, well, is a muffler. I checked YouTube and found many different solutions, several of which were replacing the existing muffler (that is blown out) with an ATV or motorcycle muffler. Tractor muffler....etc. So I might go that route -- does anybody have any experience with just replacing the muffler like this with an ATV muffler. I reckon that a muffler for a 1000cc and up bike would be good...any thoughts?
Doug38' 1996 SerengetiOnan Generator

'
ondaflore

Post by ondaflore »

'Don't be asking for help if you don't have sense enough to list which generator you have.
The stock muffler has a nice little feature called a spark arrestor.  Nice feature if you care to stay in any State or National Parks or forests, where a spark arrestor is required.  Oh, and no one wants to park near some a-hole whose generator sounds like a Kawasaki dirt bike.  If you can't do a simple internet search, you probably shouldn't be driving.  Sell the Safara and get a pop up and a Harbor Freight generator.
BobOnan 7.5KW Diesel QUIET power generator...
'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'DougIf you have the Onan 6.3kw propane powered generator I believe you need  this muffler:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_pmc=true&isRefine=true&_productid=1023864481&LH_ItemCondition=1000&rt=nc&_fosrp=1
BTW many years ago I got that muffler in this "Onan Muffler Kit", p/n 542-0472, (which is Currently unavailable):  https://www.amazon.com/Cummins-Onan-542-0472-Generator-Muffler/dp/B01HVVJDWQ
Mel'96 Sahara, 6.3kw Onan

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

'
somedaysoonltd

Post by somedaysoonltd »

'Sorry to hijack this thread.  I know better, but I could not reply to Mel on his thread.

Mel, I sent you an email because I could not load your comment about other groups.
Al WilsonFormer 1996 Sahara 3550Cat 3126 250HP
'