Re: crunching sound in rear suspension, generator issue and overall

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
robertcosmar

crunching sound in rear suspension, generator issue and overall frus

Post by robertcosmar »

'
I swear folks we got Gremlins in our RV. Two new problems have come up. We are back in Florida. Spent two months landlocked in Louisiana due to electrical and roof issues. Since we left Florida in July we have been in repair shops or Camping World to fix issues the dealer did not reveal to us. I would say we have spent 8-10 thousand dollars besides the warranty we bought to fix stuff the dealer led us to believe was checked. You would not believe the things we have had to fix.

Had to get that off my chest. Now we have two additional issues. Today we noticed a crunching noise that comes from our rear suspension. We just had all 4 shocks replaced. When we walk through the RV you can hear a crunching noise coming from around the rear suspension. Anyone got an idea what it may be?? Calling a Mobile Tech tomorrow.

The second issue deals with our Onan 7500 Quiet Generator. It sat idle for 2 months and the last 2 days worked flawlessly. Now it is doing something that we had Camping World check and though they recognized and fixed it. Appear not to be true. The generator will run smooth for awhile and then change speeds. Sounds like a old car going thru gears. It will surge down and then up and after awhile usually stop. We are well aware that the dealer and the owner most likely lied to us and our dream life is beginning to look like a nightmare.

One more thing, we had a surge protector added to the RV when we bought it to protect power surges at campsites. Anyone had problems with this affecting their generator or inverter?

Fed Up,
Robert and CJ.

P.S. If anyone knows of an attorney specializing in lawsuits for dealers selling junk to unsuspecting people I am interested.

2000 Safari Zanzibar'
TD

Post by TD »

'Robert,
How much fuel do you have in your tank?If it is around 1/4 of a tank, then the generator is likely out of fuel. Also, could possibly be a clogged fuel filter. If you have algae in the fuel, your fuel filters will clog often until the fuel gets treated and the algae passes through...
As for the shocks? It just a guess, but maybe the shocks in the rear were not installed correctly, or the dust shield on one of the shocks is bent enough to rub against the shock? Consider crawling under the coach and have your partner walk around in the back of the coach, to try and replicate the noise. See where it's coming from. If you don't recognize where the noise is coming from, take some pictures. Take a close up and far away, so we could see other items for reference point.
John
95 Safari Serengeti 38'
300 Cummins 8.3CTA
6spd Allison
On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 11:51 PM robertcosmar@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I swear folks we got Gremlins in our RV. Two new problems have come up. We are back in Florida. Spent two months landlocked in Louisiana due to electrical and roof issues. Since we left Florida in July we have been in repair shops or Camping World to fix issues the dealer did not reveal to us. I would say we have spent 8-10 thousand dollars besides the warranty we bought to fix stuff the dealer led us to believe was checked. You would not believe the things we have had to fix.

Had to get that off my chest. Now we have two additional issues. Today we noticed a crunching noise that comes from our rear suspension. We just had all 4 shocks replaced. When we walk through the RV you can hear a crunching noise coming from around the rear suspension. Anyone got an idea what it may be?? Calling a Mobile Tech tomorrow.

The second issue deals with our Onan 7500 Quiet Generator. It sat idle for 2 months and the last 2 days worked flawlessly. Now it is doing something that we had Camping World check and though they recognized and fixed it. Appear not to be true. The generator will run smooth for awhile and then change speeds. Sounds like a old car going thru gears. It will surge down and then up and after awhile usually stop. We are well aware that the dealer and the owner most likely lied to us and our dream life is beginning to look like a nightmare.

One more thing, we had a surge protector added to the RV when we bought it to protect power surges at campsites. Anyone had problems with this affecting their generator or inverter?

Fed Up,
Robert and CJ.

P.S. If anyone knows of an attorney specializing in lawsuits for dealers selling junk to unsuspecting people I am interested.

2000 Safari Zanzibar
'
John Shelton

Post by John Shelton »

' I get a creaking sound once in awhile in the rear of my coach. WD 40 on the jack springs usually quiets that!
Tony 2001 Cont. Panther4006 505hp

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
On Thursday, December 20, 2018, 3:06 AM, TD sdjhtm@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Robert,
How much fuel do you have in your tank?If it is around 1/4 of a tank, then the generator is likely out of fuel. Also, could possibly be a clogged fuel filter. If you have algae in the fuel, your fuel filters will clog often until the fuel gets treated and the algae passes through...
As for the shocks? It just a guess, but maybe the shocks in the rear were not installed correctly, or the dust shield on one of the shocks is bent enough to rub against the shock? Consider crawling under the coach and have your partner walk around in the back of the coach, to try and replicate the noise. See where it's coming from. If you don't recognize where the noise is coming from, take some pictures. Take a close up and far away, so we could see other items for reference point.
John
95 Safari Serengeti 38'
300 Cummins 8.3CTA
6spd Allison

Fed Up,
Robert and CJ.

2000 Safari Zanzibar
'
Joe Burch

Post by Joe Burch »

'Robert & CJ,If it will make you feel better, when I bought my coach (1996 Sahara) I estimated that it would take about $3,000.00 and three weeks and I would be on the road.  Then reality set in.  15 months and $10,000.00 later (parts only-I do my own work) I feel comfortable being on the road.  Following is a list of a few of the things:  New tires, radiator, charge air cooler repair, engine water pump, freon compressor, thermostat, new hoses, new belts, new brakes, new master cylinder, brake lines, wheel bearings (1), wheel seal (1), inverter, new cameras, step motor, new hitch, refrigerator repair, new battery isolator, new battery combiner relay, antenna repair, new window to replace one fogged up, new battery box, new batteries, new muffler, pak brake repair, Park brake repair, new roof air switch, new faucets in kitchen  & bathroom, new LED lights throughout and this is just a partial list.  I went from a $17,000.00 investment to $27,000.00 fast. If I had had to pay for labor too it would have bankrupted this poor boy.  Most of it is my fault.  In looking back when I went from coach to coach while shopping I never wrote anything down but relied on memory.  Not a good idea.
My suggestion:   Get everything fixed up so you are comfortable and know all is well and hold on to it. If I wanted to head to california right now the only thing to do would be to put diesel in it.   Get to know your coach and how it operates really well.  This will help when an issue arises in determining the problem and likely fix.  If you can do your own work, it really helps.  The dealers and repair shops will not be financially kind to you. 
With regard to the crunching noise underneath, before you call the mobile tech as John suggested, get your overalls on and crawl underneath the coach with a flashlight, a good one, and look around.  You may be able to repair this yourself. 
Joe1996 Sahara3126 catSt Augustine, Fl

To: "safarifriends Maggio dalemaggio@y."
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2018 4:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] crunching sound in rear suspension, generator issue and overall frustration

Robert,
John
95 Safari Serengeti 38'
300 Cummins 8.3CTA
6spd Allison

Fed Up,Robert and CJ.
2000 Safari Zanzibar

'
TD

Post by TD »

'Joe,
You had your glass replaced?Just an FYI for the future. There is a good glass place in your region that specializes in cleaning up and resealing the foggy glass and the glass where the seals start creeping and smearing across the glass. At this point I don't recall the name, but I'm sure if you search the topic the name will come up. When I have time, I will try to look also, if you are interested.
John
95 Safari Serengeti 38'
300 Cummins 8.3CTA
6spd Allison

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 7:54 AM Joe Burch burch1945@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Robert & CJ,If it will make you feel better, when I bought my coach (1996 Sahara) I estimated that it would take about $3,000.00 and three weeks and I would be on the road.  Then reality set in.  15 months and $10,000.00 later (parts only-I do my own work) I feel comfortable being on the road.  Following is a list of a few of the things:  New tires, radiator, charge air cooler repair, engine water pump, freon compressor, thermostat, new hoses, new belts, new brakes, new master cylinder, brake lines, wheel bearings (1), wheel seal (1), inverter, new cameras, step motor, new hitch, refrigerator repair, new battery isolator, new battery combiner relay, antenna repair, new window to replace one fogged up, new battery box, new batteries, new muffler, pak brake repair, Park brake repair, new roof air switch, new faucets in kitchen  & bathroom, new LED lights throughout and this is just a partial list.  I went from a $17,000.00 investment to $27,000.00 fast. If I had had to pay for labor too it would have bankrupted this poor boy.  Most of it is my fault.  In looking back when I went from coach to coach while shopping I never wrote anything down but relied on memory.  Not a good idea.
My suggestion:   Get everything fixed up so you are comfortable and know all is well and hold on to it. If I wanted to head to california right now the only thing to do would be to put diesel in it.   Get to know your coach and how it operates really well.  This will help when an issue arises in determining the problem and likely fix.  If you can do your own work, it really helps.  The dealers and repair shops will not be financially kind to you. 
With regard to the crunching noise underneath, before you call the mobile tech as John suggested, get your overalls on and crawl underneath the coach with a flashlight, a good one, and look around.  You may be able to repair this yourself. 

Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] crunching sound in rear suspension, generator issue and overall frustration

Robert,
John
95 Safari Serengeti 38'
300 Cummins 8.3CTA
6spd Allison

Fed Up,Robert and CJ.
2000 Safari Zanzibar

'
TD

Post by TD »

'Brett,
Thank you. I recalled that the name had Sun in it, but could not remember the rest, and didn't want to spread misinformation.
John
95 Safari Serengeti 38'
300 Cummins 8.3CTA
6spd Allison
On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 12:40 PM bawolfe10@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

In Hudson, FL :https://suncoastdesigners.com/
'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' I second this, exactly the same experience. I too am at about 17 months of remedial work. Today I just found two wires deliberately cut off and taped ...  while looking for a different problem. Low pressure air warning... Another contribution by some RV repair shop.
The up side is you learn a lot and need never again experience the cannibalism of RV dealers thru not knowing. This forum has a lot of very knowledgeable, experienced and friendly people that are ready to step up and take time to help. 
So just a word of encouragement... Don't let the present issues sour you on the coach. It is an amazing machine.  The problems can be fixed, just persist. Mainly make sure that the work is done right and the repair shops don't make further problems, so that you don't keep paying to fix the same problem over and over again, if you have to have someone else do the work.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Continental3126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
On December 20, 2018 4:54:42 AM "Joe Burch burch1945@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Robert & CJ,If it will make you feel better, when I bought my coach (1996 Sahara) I estimated that it would take about $3,000.00 and three weeks and I would be on the road.  Then reality set in.  15 months and $10,000.00 later (parts only-I do my own work) I feel comfortable being on the road.  Following is a list of a few of the things:  New tires, radiator, charge air cooler repair, engine water pump, freon compressor, thermostat, new hoses, new belts, new brakes, new master cylinder, brake lines, wheel bearings (1), wheel seal (1), inverter, new cameras, step motor, new hitch, refrigerator repair, new battery isolator, new battery combiner relay, antenna repair, new window to replace one fogged up, new battery box, new batteries, new muffler, pak brake repair, Park brake repair, new roof air switch, new faucets in kitchen  & bathroom, new LED lights throughout and this is just a partial list.  I went from a $17,000.00 investment to $27,000.00 fast. If I had had to pay for labor too it would have bankrupted this poor boy.  Most of it is my fault.  In looking back when I went from coach to coach while shopping I never wrote anything down but relied on memory.  Not a good idea.

Robert,
John
95 Safari Serengeti 38'
300 Cummins 8.3CTA
6spd Allison

Fed Up,Robert and CJ.
2000 Safari Zanzibar

'
John Clevenger

Post by John Clevenger »

'I had my kingpins replaced by a shop that had done some work on my rig before, total about $3,000 with rebuilding the front end! Now because of bad workmanship . How I have done about $6,000  in cleanup of the mess he caused! Fyi his shop is closed down now too, messy divorce!  I will do most of the work on the rig myself from now on, can’t be any worst! I have low trust of shop workers now! Buyer beware too! JohnC      96 Safari Sahara 3540 250 Cat2015 TJ/Fusion(O) I I I I I I I (O)  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2018 2:28 AM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] crunching sound in rear suspension, generator issue and overall frustration    I second this, exactly the same experience. I too am at about 17 months of remedial work. Today I just found two wires deliberately cut off and taped ...  while looking for a different problem. Low pressure air warning... Another contribution by some RV repair shop.  The up side is you learn a lot and need never again experience the cannibalism of RV dealers thru not knowing. This forum has a lot of very knowledgeable, experienced and friendly people that are ready to step up and take time to help.   So just a word of encouragement... Don't let the present issues sour you on the coach. It is an amazing machine.  The problems can be fixed, just persist. Mainly make sure that the work is done right and the repair shops don't make further problems, so that you don't keep paying to fix the same problem over and over again, if you have to have someone else do the work.  Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Continental3126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison  On December 20, 2018 4:54:42 AM "Joe Burch burch1945@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:
  Robert & CJ,If it will make you feel better, when I bought my coach (1996 Sahara) I estimated that it would take about $3,000.00 and three weeks and I would be on the road.  Then reality set in.  15 months and $10,000.00 later (parts only-I do my own work) I feel comfortable being on the road.  Following is a list of a few of the things:  New tires, radiator, charge air cooler repair, engine water pump, freon compressor, thermostat, new hoses, new belts, new brakes, new master cylinder, brake lines, wheel bearings (1), wheel seal (1), inverter, new cameras, step motor, new hitch, refrigerator repair, new battery isolator, new battery combiner relay, antenna repair, new window to replace one fogged up, new battery box, new batteries, new muffler, pak brake repair, Park brake repair, new roof air switch, new faucets in kitchen  & bathroom, new LED lights throughout and this is just a partial list.  I went from a $17,000.00 investment to $27,000.00 fast. If I had had to pay for labor too it would have bankrupted this poor boy.  Most of it is my fault.  In looking back when I went from coach to coach while shopping I never wrote anything down but relied on memory.  Not a good idea.  My suggestion:   Get everything fixed up so you are comfortable and know all is well and hold on to it. If I wanted to head to california right now the only thing to do would be to put diesel in it.   Get to know your coach and how it operates really well.  This will help when an issue arises in determining the problem and likely fix.  If you can do your own work, it really helps.  The dealers and repair shops will not be financially kind to you.   With regard to the crunching noise underneath, before you call the mobile tech as John suggested, get your overalls on and crawl underneath the coach with a flashlight, a good one, and look around.  You may be able to repair this yourself.   Joe1996 Sahara3126 catSt Augustine, Fl  From: "TD sdjhtm@... [Safarifriends]"
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] crunching sound in rear suspension, generator issue and overall frustration    Robert,  How much fuel do you have in your tank?If it is around 1/4 of a tank, then the generator is likely out of fuel. Also, could possibly be a clogged fuel filter. If you have algae in the fuel, your fuel filters will clog often until the fuel gets treated and the algae passes through...  As for the shocks? It just a guess, but maybe the shocks in the rear were not installed correctly, or the dust shield on one of the shocks is bent enough to rub against the shock? Consider crawling under the coach and have your partner walk around in the back of the coach, to try and replicate the noise. See where it's coming from. If you don't recognize where the noise is coming from, take some pictures. Take a close up and far away, so we could see other items for reference point.  John
95 Safari Serengeti 38'
300 Cummins 8.3CTA
6spd Allison  On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 11:51 PM robertcosmar@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  I swear folks we got Gremlins in our RV. Two new problems have come up. We are back in Florida. Spent two months landlocked in Louisiana due to electrical and roof issues. Since we left Florida in July we have been in repair shops or Camping World to fix issues the dealer did not reveal to us. I would say we have spent 8-10 thousand dollars besides the warranty we bought to fix stuff the dealer led us to believe was checked. You would not believe the things we have had to fix.  Had to get that off my chest. Now we have two additional issues. Today we noticed a crunching noise that comes from our rear suspension. We just had all 4 shocks replaced. When we walk through the RV you can hear a crunching noise coming from around the rear suspension. Anyone got an idea what it may be?? Calling a Mobile Tech tomorrow.  The second issue deals with our Onan 7500 Quiet Generator. It sat idle for 2 months and the last 2 days worked flawlessly. Now it is doing something that we had Camping World check and though they recognized and fixed it. Appear not to be true. The generator will run smooth for awhile and then change speeds. Sounds like a old car going thru gears. It will surge down and then up and after awhile usually stop. We are well aware that the dealer and the owner most likely lied to us and our dream life is beginning to look like a nightmare.  One more thing, we had a surge protector added to the RV when we bought it to protect power surges at campsites. Anyone had problems with this affecting their generator or inverter?  Fed Up,Robert and CJ.  P.S. If anyone knows of an attorney specializing in lawsuits for dealers selling junk to unsuspecting people I am interested.  2000 Safari Zanzibar  
   '