Re: Slide starting to droop

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
John Rowin

Slide starting to droop

Post by John Rowin »

' Noticed when washing my coach that my slide was about 1/2” lower on one end. This is something new for my single slide. Just a cursory examination tells me this is not a simple fix. Is this a DIY fix for one guy or something I should take into the shop?
John & Martha Rowin 2000 Safari Continental Panther 42’

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
'
John Rowin

Post by John Rowin »

' Did I do something wrong when I posted this. I worry more about that than content. 

On Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 11:51 PM, John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Noticed when washing my coach that my slide was about 1/2” lower on one end. This is something new for my single slide. Just a cursory examination tells me this is not a simple fix. Is this a DIY fix for one guy or something I should take into the shop?

'
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'John,I didn't see anything wrong in your posting this problem, but I can't help you.  May be your lack of replies is due to lack of experience with Safari coaches having slides.  I do have a slide, but have not experienced any problems with mine.  Curious if your drop is with the slide in or out?  The slide you have was an SMC design that has been relatively troublefree over the years, and was discontinued by Monaco with the 2003 models, so not many shops around that would have had to work on them, however one shop that may be able to advise you is the Alliance Coach operation in Wildwood, FL, as the management and at least some of the staff worked there when it was the Service Center for Monaco, HR, Safari, and Beaver. 

Hopefully someone who has had problems with the SMC slides will chime in?
Gary'98 Sahara 3006 3000CAT
On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 1:49 PM John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Did I do something wrong when I posted this. I worry more about that than content. 

On Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 11:51 PM, John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Noticed when washing my coach that my slide was about 1/2” lower on one end. This is something new for my single slide. Just a cursory examination tells me this is not a simple fix. Is this a DIY fix for one guy or something I should take into the shop?

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
Rollin'

Post by Rollin' »

'John,
No problem with format.  You are a bit shy on content though.  As Gary pointed out, there probably aren't that many folks here who have experienced slide problems.
Content:. What configuration was the coach in when you noticed the problem?  You were washing it, so we know it was wet.  That isn't going to have any effect on the sagging problem (pardon my "dry" sense of humor - no pun intended).  Was the coach on level ground?  Leveling Jack's up or down?  Have you driven the coach and run the slide in and out several times to see if the problem persists?  Obviously, the side of the slide is a rectangular peg that slides into a rectangular hole.  How is the gap between the slide and the coach around the perimeter of the rectangle?  Even, or not so much?  Does the slid extend and retract smoothly with no binding or scraping?
If there is no binding or scraping, as a minimum I would do a few drive and extend cycles before concluding that you have a problem that needs addressing.
I get the impression you have eyeballed the slide mechanism and realized there is no real adjustment capability in the slide arms and tracks.  I have done the same, and concluded that the only means of adjustment is at the mounting plates between the slide and the slide arms.  My alignment issue is the slide not retracting flush, top to bottom.  When retracted, the slide is flush at the top and protrudes about 3/4 inch at the bottom.  I have the facilities to work the problem, Jacks,  jack stands, overhead hoist, etc, and wouldn't tear into that problem unless it got a lot worse. 
That's my 2¢
Bob2001 ZanzibarTwo slides

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android'
m_shumack

Post by m_shumack »

'I don’t know the specifics on your coach slide system, but I would think it is similar to the other (Monaco-like) coaches with rollers on the bottom that support the slide as it moves in and out. These rollers can fail and the bottom (plywood) of the slideroom can also fail due to water intrusion over time. Are you able to peel back the rubber seal on the bottom and look in there to see if you have a roller issue. Does the bottom of slide look good (no gouging or grooves)?  Mike S.2005 Beaver PatriotFrom: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2019 1:49 PM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Slide starting to droop   
Did I do something wrong when I posted this. I worry more about that than content.   John & Martha Rowin 2000 Safari Continental Panther 42’

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhoneOn Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 11:51 PM, John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Noticed when washing my coach that my slide was about 1/2” lower on one end. This is something new for my single slide. Just a cursory examination tells me this is not a simple fix. Is this a DIY fix for one guy or something I should take into the shop?  John & Martha Rowin 2000 Safari Continental Panther 42’

'
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'The SMC slides are rolled out on gears on a geared track, hydraulically operated by the RVA Jacks pump system.  Very different from the Monaco slide systems used in the 2003 and newer coaches.  My slide only extends 15".
Gary
'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 7:43 AM 'm_shumack' m_shumack@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I don’t know the specifics on your coach slide system, but I would think it is similar to the other (Monaco-like) coaches with rollers on the bottom that support the slide as it moves in and out. These rollers can fail and the bottom (plywood) of the slideroom can also fail due to water intrusion over time. Are you able to peel back the rubber seal on the bottom and look in there to see if you have a roller issue. Does the bottom of slide look good (no gouging or grooves)? Mike S.2005 Beaver PatriotFrom: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2019 1:49 PM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Slide starting to droop  
Did I do something wrong when I posted this. I worry more about that than content.  John & Martha Rowin 2000 Safari Continental Panther 42’

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhoneOn Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 11:51 PM, John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends] wrote: 
Noticed when washing my coach that my slide was about 1/2” lower on one end. This is something new for my single slide. Just a cursory examination tells me this is not a simple fix. Is this a DIY fix for one guy or something I should take into the shop? John & Martha Rowin 2000 Safari Continental Panther 42’

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' I have the same coach as yours.
I just discovered a problem with my slide out. This may be unrelated to yours but here is what I found yesterday in case this might be of help to you.
I drained all the tanks for winter and found the black tank was 55% in the spring. Water had leaked into the slide and down the floor them maybe thru the toilet flange and into the tank. I don't know for sure as yet because I haven't then the cupboards apart on the toilette to get access to the floor to check for rot.
I would check the wood around and under the rack gear on the slide with an awl. Push the awl into the floor to check for spongyness, it may be the floor is rotted due to a water leak and has sunk. 
If it has, it is not the end of the world. The entire floor will not be bad, you can cut out the rotted section insert a new piece even under the rack. To give structural integrity take a heavy guage aluminum plate much larger than the insert and place that over the insert and glue and screw it down. There are PL glues for wood, metal etc that dry ash and as rock. You may have to router an inset in the landing point of the good flooring to allow the plate to clear the rack.
I replaced the main front trusses on my coach using this methodology. My coach had 22 thru roof connections, sat dish, skylight etc. 21 had been leaking for years. There was extensive damage, and much more extensive and difficult than a slide to repair. 
This damage was entirely due to the expert skill set combined with the intelligence of, as Jim calls them the "burger flippers". These are technicians employed by RV dealers to work on these coaches. I point this out because I am fairly certain you can do the work yourself if you take the time to plan, get all the materials and methadically break the task down a step at a time. The alternative is to pay some dealership $1,000's to do the repair and then find out when you are long done the road, they made a mess of it. There are some that are not like this, but they aren't the ones I have worked with. 
There are a lot of people on this site that will give you help and have a great deal of expertise.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Continental3126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
On March 27, 2019 9:51:56 PM "John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

'
John Rowin

Post by John Rowin »

' Thanks Robert. I will certainly investigate that. If you lived close I would come take a look
At yours. I am unable to make very few repairs (age & disability) but do have a tech I trust. I both the coach from him. Will try to keep you informed as to repairs made. Got a couple of rallies April and May with an open summer. Thanks again. 

On Saturday, March 30, 2019, 12:36 PM, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
I have the same coach as yours.
I just discovered a problem with my slide out. This may be unrelated to yours but here is what I found yesterday in case this might be of help to you.
I drained all the tanks for winter and found the black tank was 55% in the spring. Water had leaked into the slide and down the floor them maybe thru the toilet flange and into the tank. I don't know for sure as yet because I haven't then the cupboards apart on the toilette to get access to the floor to check for rot.
I would check the wood around and under the rack gear on the slide with an awl. Push the awl into the floor to check for spongyness, it may be the floor is rotted due to a water leak and has sunk. 
If it has, it is not the end of the world. The entire floor will not be bad, you can cut out the rotted section insert a new piece even under the rack. To give structural integrity take a heavy guage aluminum plate much larger than the insert and place that over the insert and glue and screw it down. There are PL glues for wood, metal etc that dry ash and as rock. You may have to router an inset in the landing point of the good flooring to allow the plate to clear the rack.
I replaced the main front trusses on my coach using this methodology. My coach had 22 thru roof connections, sat dish, skylight etc. 21 had been leaking for years. There was extensive damage, and much more extensive and difficult than a slide to repair. 
This damage was entirely due to the expert skill set combined with the intelligence of, as Jim calls them the "burger flippers". These are technicians employed by RV dealers to work on these coaches. I point this out because I am fairly certain you can do the work yourself if you take the time to plan, get all the materials and methadically break the task down a step at a time. The alternative is to pay some dealership $1,000's to do the repair and then find out when you are long done the road, they made a mess of it. There are some that are not like this, but they aren't the ones I have worked with. 
There are a lot of people on this site that will give you help and have a great deal of expertise.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Continental3126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
On March 27, 2019 9:51:56 PM "John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

'
Roland Hyatt

Post by Roland Hyatt »

'Robert and all:

I've been reading the horror stories about wood rot of various kinds and
places.  I feel I MUST pass along some information that arises from many
years of pretty serious involvement in boating.  Wood rot is/was a
serious problem in the boating world.  Where the problem is not too
serious there are fixes short of wood replacement.  The first one that
comes to mind is a product called, "Git Rot".  Here's a link for some
information: https://www.boatlife.com/git-rot/

I'm sure there's wealth of information to be had with a little
sleuthing.  The general class of products may be called, "penetrating
epoxies".  In many cases much heartache, work, and money can be avoided
with the judicious use of these products - generally available at retail
in marine stores like "West Marine", for example.  The result is a wood
area that is much stronger than the wood before the advent of the rot -
and generally impervious to further rot.

Have a look,
Roland Hyatt
1995 Serengeti 35, 6CTA8.3 300 hp, 6 spd. and
1968 Chris Commander 38'
Roland Hyatt

Post by Roland Hyatt »

'P.S.

Here's a direct link to West Marine's penetrating epoxy:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--penetrating-epoxy--P015023724?recordNum=1

Roland Hyatt
1995 Serengeti 35, 300 hp 6CTA8.3, 6 spd'