Re: Electrical Diagrams Remote for Inverter/Charger

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
trunnellfamily

Electrical Diagrams Remote for Inverter/Charger

Post by trunnellfamily »

'
I am having trouble finding a diagram that shows where the remote option for my Freedom 20D inverter/charger gets its power from.
I have tested the inverter and charge functions. Surprisingly it works as designed. The remote does not. It has 2 power wires coming out of the back of it. They do not have power. I do not see any fuses labeled with this item. The wires disappear into the roof.
I assume the remote wire is good as my tester shows a crossover cable with all connections made. No power at all though. I thought I would ask before ripping it apart to trace wires...  LOL

Jerame
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
3060 Allison'
Duane Buck

Post by Duane Buck »

'Attachments : Jerame,The manual on our Freedom 20's is very vague on the wiring schematics - all that's said about the remote is that it's connected via RJ11 wire. I recall several others trying to get an actual schematic showing components and such and having no luck, and since the unit is no longer being made, there's not anyone to be able to contact about them.  Here's what the manual says (for what it's worth)
Duane96 30' Sahara, 250hp Cat, Allison 6spdSpokane Wa

On Monday, May 6, 2019, 5:03:25 PM PDT, trunnellfamily@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I am having trouble finding a diagram that shows where the remote option for my Freedom 20D inverter/charger gets its power from.
I have tested the inverter and charge functions. Surprisingly it works as designed. The remote does not. It has 2 power wires coming out of the back of it. They do not have power. I do not see any fuses labeled with this item. The wires disappear into the roof.
I assume the remote wire is good as my tester shows a crossover cable with all connections made. No power at all though. I thought I would ask before ripping it apart to trace wires...  LOL

Jerame
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
3060 Allison '
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'I think it runs on two conductors from the inverter remote jack, may use RJ-45 ends (old four conductor phone cable to a wall jack).  That is, I do not think there are separate power input terminals. v/r,
Taylor Hudson1998 Serengeti #4060, CAT 3126
On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 7:03 PM trunnellfamily@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I assume the remote wire is good as my tester shows a crossover cable with all connections made. No power at all though. I thought I would ask before ripping it apart to trace wires...  LOL

Jerame
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
3060 Allison
'
trunnellfamily

Post by trunnellfamily »

'Thank you all for your replies.  I was afraid I would have trouble finding an answer.  My remote has the standard telephone wire, but also has a yellow and white 12 ga wire connected to it. The wires go straight up into the roof.  I get trace voltages from them, but no consistent measurements. I assumed I had a short somewhere.I will let everyone know if I find the answer someday...  In the mean time, the system works with the power button on the inverter itself.
Jerame96 Safari SerengetiCAT 31263060 Allison'
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Taylor,The Heart Freedom remote gets all it's power throught the connection to the inverter.  Not sure what your remote is, but mine was mounted recessed in the wall by the bed, and only had one connection on the back side, where an RJ-11 plug attached to what looks like a telephone line, that runs through the coach to the inverter and plugs into it with another RJ-11 plug.  The two ends of the cable are reversed, making it a data cable.  
Gary'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 8:03 PM trunnellfamily@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I assume the remote wire is good as my tester shows a crossover cable with all connections made. No power at all though. I thought I would ask before ripping it apart to trace wires...  LOL

Jerame
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
3060 Allison
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Jerame,Can you attach a photo of the front and back side of your remote.  No need for them to be huge images.  Are the white and yellow 12 gauge wires solid, or stranded?  If stranded, they are low voltage (12v). White on safari low voltage is ground wire.  The yellow will be power.  Find your 12v panel in the cabinet over your bed (driver's side), and see if the cover has labeling for the fuses.  Look for a 12 gauge yellow connected to a fuse and see what it is labeled as.  

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage'
Thomas Vineski

Post by Thomas Vineski »

'Those two wires are the remote on/off from the dash inverter/review camera power-on switch on the left side console. Correct on the phone line direct connection to the inverter. It’s a great unit and bullet proof. Power goes through the circuit panel above the bed to the inverter and then downstream to the outlets and appliances on 2 separate circuits.

Hope this helps,
Tom V,
1997 Safari 3730'
James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'

Gary,

Great answer with one exception.

Hold the two plugs side by side pointing the same way so you can see the wires. If the colors are reversed, this is a telephone cable which is what is needed to connect the remote.

If the colors are the same left to right, that is a data cable (pin 1 to pin 1).

It is possible the existing remote cable is missing a connection so an easy test would be to use a known good cable run through the window to connect the remote and see if it then functions. If it does, try re crimping the plugs on the installed cable; that
may fix it.

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

On 5/6/2019 6:43 PM, Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Taylor,
The Heart Freedom remote gets all it's power throught the connection to the inverter.  Not sure what your remote is, but mine was mounted recessed in the wall by the bed, and only had one connection on the back side, where an RJ-11 plug attached to what
looks like a telephone line, that runs through the coach to the inverter and plugs into it with another RJ-11 plug.  The two ends of the cable are reversed, making it a data cable.  

Gary
'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT

I am having trouble finding a diagram that shows where the remote option for my Freedom 20D inverter/charger gets its power from..

I have tested the inverter and charge functions. Surprisingly it works as designed. The remote does not. It has 2 power wires coming out of the back of it. They do not have power. I do not see any fuses labeled with this item. The wires disappear into
the roof.

Jerame

1996 Safari Serengeti

3126 CAT

3060 Allison

--

Gary Smith
ImageImage

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
Jerame Trunnell

Post by Jerame Trunnell »

' thank you for the response. I just used my cable certifier to test the cabling. I have what would be a reverse style cable. Telephone style. It is not set up as a standard data cable.I am going to upload photos today that show what the back of the remote looks like.  It has the telephone jack, but also 2 additional power wires. They are DC stranded cable. I assume one is power (yellow) and the other is ground (white). I am just not getting power from either one.
On Tuesday, May 7, 2019, 9:51:59 AM EDT, James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Gary,
Hold the two plugs side by side pointing the same way so you can see the wires. If the colors are reversed, this is a telephone cable which is what is needed to connect the remote.
If the colors are the same left to right, that is a data cable (pin 1 to pin 1).
It is possible the existing remote cable is missing a connection so an easy test would be to use a known good cable run through the window to connect the remote and see if it then functions. If it does, try re crimping the plugs on the installed cable; that may fix it.
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID
  Taylor, The Heart Freedom remote gets all it's power throught the connection to the inverter.  Not sure what your remote is, but mine was mounted recessed in the wall by the bed, and only had one connection on the back side, where an RJ-11 plug attached to what looks like a telephone line, that runs through the coach to the inverter and plugs into it with another RJ-11 plug.  The two ends of the cable are reversed, making it a data cable.  
Gary '98 Sahara 3006 300CAT

I am having trouble finding a diagram that shows where the remote option for my Freedom 20D inverter/charger gets its power from..

Jerame
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
3060 Allison

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
Image Virus-free. www.avg.com '
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Thanks for the correction, Jim.  Probably got it confused with the cable that runs from thermostat to roof A/C control box.
Gary'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 9:52 AM James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Gary,
It is possible the existing remote cable is missing a connection so an easy test would be to use a known good cable run through the window to connect the remote and see if it then functions. If it does, try re crimping the plugs on the installed cable; that may fix it.
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID
  Taylor, The Heart Freedom remote gets all it's power throught the connection to the inverter.  Not sure what your remote is, but mine was mounted recessed in the wall by the bed, and only had one connection on the back side, where an RJ-11 plug attached to what looks like a telephone line, that runs through the coach to the inverter and plugs into it with another RJ-11 plug.  The two ends of the cable are reversed, making it a data cable.  
Gary '98 Sahara 3006 300CAT

Jerame
1996 Safari Serengeti
3126 CAT
3060 Allison

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
Image Virus-free. www.avg.com

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '