Re: Axle ratings and weight

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
waspph6

Axle ratings and weight

Post by waspph6 »

'
I recently had our coach weighed and it came back at 23980 lbs and I thought I was in good shape for GVWR until I looked at tag by the drivers seat which stated GVWR at 22500. A 15000 lb rear axle and a 7500 lb front. My coach was built in early 94 and wondering if it has some left over 93 components. Thanks to John for helping me sort through some of this but I thought I would post my findings and see if other 94's have a similar GVWR. I identified the rear axle as a 15000lb Rockwell unit but the front axle is still a bit of a mystery. The front is a Spicer/Dana unit with a p/n of 101BN202-2 and as of yet I have not been able to find this number anywhere. My understanding is the first set of numbers relates to the axle loading so if that is the case this would be a 10100 lbs axle.  If anyone has a source for identifying this number it would be helpful. I am not terribly concerned with the weight as we only move around 3 times a years and tend to be a conservative driver but I have thinking about rearranging the load to move some weight from the rear of the coach. Also my wheels are 6 lug not 10 which indicates a lighter axle than most other Safaris out there.  Thanks

Hal
94 Serengeti 3750 Duo Door 8.3 Cummins Allison 6 speed '
wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

'Hal,
What are your axle weights?
Most Safari coaches are UNDER-loaded on the front axle.  If that is the case with yours, moving weight forward is a good idea.
Let me know if you/your shop run into questions on the torsilastic suspension.  Ralph Andrews/Pioneer metals and I both worked directly with the engineers at B.F. Goodrich aerospace who made the suspension.  That was in 2000-- hardly seems like almost two decades ago. Ralph has since passed away.

Brett
'
Craig Burrell

Post by Craig Burrell »

' that means you can not ever pass away!!!!
On Monday, May 13, 2019, 1:43:38 PM CDT, bawolfe10@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hal,
Most Safari coaches are UNDER-loaded on the front axle.  If that is the case with yours, moving weight forward is a good idea.
Let me know if you/your shop run into questions on the torsilastic suspension.  Ralph Andrews/Pioneer metals and I both worked directly with the engineers at B.F. Goodrich aerospace who made the suspension.  That was in 2000-- hardly seems like almost two decades ago. Ralph has since passed away.

Brett
'
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'Brett,I have a question for you.  Is it expected or advisable to unload the Torlastic suspension with our leveling jacks when coaches are not in use?  
I have not gotten around to weighing my coach, would share the results if I had (have only had it six months).  Thanks your opinion on my question. v/r,
Taylor Hudson ‘98 Serengeti (model 4060), CAT 3126

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 2:43 PM bawolfe10@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hal,

Brett
'
wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

'Yes, taking roughly half the load off the Torsilastic springs is a good idea and what I did on my personal coach with  Torsilastic suspension.
I don't have any empirical data to support this as there are so many variables (weight, mileage, rough roads, etc), but not having gravity pulling down HARD on the suspension arms 24/7 has to be a good thing.
Brett
'
waspph6

Post by waspph6 »

'Brett7580 on the front 16340 on the rear. I am questioning if the ride height is critical on my coach, I may just adjust to get the coach level all the way around and not be concerned with the 25" measurement. Some info I read seemed to indicate the earlier years were not the same as the later years.

Hal
94 Serengeti 3750 Duo door Cummins 8.3 6 speed Allison'
wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

'Hal,
Have not worked on your year model-- just the slightly newer ones on Magnum chassis/Cat engines.  But after determining your proper ride height, DO set it to that spec.
Ride height affects ride, handling, U joint and transmission wear, shocks, etc. 

It IS important!
Brett
'