Re: Pacbrake question

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
dbrown4628

Pacbrake question

Post by dbrown4628 »

'
We recently purchased a 2001 Serengeti 4706 with a Cummins ISC 350 engine.  My concern is with the Pacbrake.  It works fine until going down a 6 or 7% grade.  It will not hold the speed. I go into the grade in 3rd gear at about 35 MHP but it slowly gains speed.  I pump the brakes to slow down 5 to 10 MPH each time trying to maintain the speed between 45 and 50.  I can really smell the brakes heating up.

My question should the Pacbrake be able to hold the speed of the motorhome going down a grade of 6 or 7%?  

Thanks
Doug
2001 Serengeti 4706
Cummins ISC 350'
wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

'In 3rd gear, my answer is YES.
Easy test to see if the exhaust brake is working properly:
On any open stretch of road, down arrow to a gear where RPM's are near the high end of the RPM range.
Toggle the exhaust brake ON, OFF, ON .... You should feel a real difference in braking HP, particularly at those higher RPM.
Let us know what you find.
'
TJAMES BLAIR

Post by TJAMES BLAIR »

' I don't have a pacbreak but the Safari motor coach when I purchased it from a previous owner came with a Wilson engine exhaust brake system. I'm wondering if anyone else has one of these installed in their coach. There are no instructions or repair manual.

Get Outlook for Android
From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com on behalf of bawolfe10@... [Safarifriends]
Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2019 7:22:24 PM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Pacbrake question

In 3rd gear, my answer is YES.
Easy test to see if the exhaust brake is working properly:
On any open stretch of road, down arrow to a gear where RPM's are near the high end of the RPM range.
Toggle the exhaust brake ON, OFF, ON .... You should feel a real difference in braking HP, particularly at those higher RPM.
Let us know what you find.

'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'??Who, or what, told you that the exhaust brake on your '90 Safari coach is a "Wilson engine exhaust brake system".(That is not something I have heard before).
Mel'96 Sahara

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

I don't have a pacbreak but the Safari motor coach when I purchased it from a previous owner came with a Wilson engine exhaust brake system. I'm wondering if anyone else has one of these installed in their coach. There are no instructions or repair manual.

'