Re: Rats

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
chvet73

Rats

Post by chvet73 »

'Out here in the sunny California Desert where I reside we have what are often called ‘tree rats’. Of course they have finally found a way into the Safari.
They are in the main compartment which has 2 doors on the passenger side and if you remove the inside partitions they tanks are there. On the drivers side this is where the water valves are. I have taken the valves loose so I can see behind them. The critters have run from side to side and left deposits everywhere.
I read all the stuff you could on getting rid of them. There is no food in the RV. I see no evidence of a nest. Although you can’t see everywhere, I have a remote camera and have tried to look around. The only area I could find was where a heating duct comes out of there which I hopefully sealed. But that did not cure the issue.
Now the bottom line is my question, has anyone had rats or in the same area? And if so did you find there place of entry?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
199 Safari 32’'
Paul Cella

Post by Paul Cella »

'Weare inarizona, pack rats and mice are a problem any time the rv is left outside for any length of time. I have filled every hole I can find underneath the rig, all to no avail. I find dead mice behind the panels many times. They smell! I honestly do not have a solution other than keeping the rv inside. No luck with moth balls, cat pee, etc. would like to hear solutions by others, if any . Pete, 30’sahara, 1999
T
Sent from my iPhone
> On Jul 8, 2019, at 4:18 PM, chvet73@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
>
> Out here in the sunny California Desert where I reside we have what are often called ‘tree rats’. Of course they have finally found a way into the Safari.
> They are in the main compartment which has 2 doors on the passenger side and if you remove the inside partitions they tanks are there. On the drivers side this is where the water valves are. I have taken the valves loose so I can see behind them. The critters have run from side to side and left deposits everywhere.
> I read all the stuff you could on getting rid of them. There is no food in the RV. I see no evidence of a nest. Although you can’t see everywhere, I have a remote camera and have tried to look around. The only area I could find was where a heating duct comes out of there which I hopefully sealed. But that did not cure the issue.
> Now the bottom line is my question, has anyone had rats or in the same area? And if so did you find there place of entry?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
> 199 Safari 32’
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: chvet73@...
>
> Community email addresses:
> Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
> Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
> Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
> List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com
>
> Shortcut URL to this page:
> http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
'
Stephen Kutz

Post by Stephen Kutz »

'Not sure if this will work but I had problems with them nesting around the engine and heard that fabric softener sheets worked so I secured them in the compartment in several places and the nest builders have not returned. So I guess you could place them in the compartments and see if that works. It worked for mice. I periodically replace the sheets with new ones 2-3 times a year. 
Steve Kutz2000 Zanzibar Coach burn up by an arsonist 
On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 7:29 PM Paul Cella nanandpete@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Weare inarizona, pack rats and mice are a problem any time the rv is left outside for any length of time. I have filled every hole I can find underneath the rig, all to no avail. I find dead mice behind the panels many times. They smell! I honestly do not have a solution other than keeping the rv inside. No luck with moth balls, cat pee, etc. would like to hear solutions by others, if any . Pete, 30’sahara, 1999
T
Sent from my iPhone

>
> Out here in the sunny California Desert where I reside we have what are often called ‘tree rats’. Of course they have finally found a way into the Safari.
> They are in the main compartment which has 2 doors on the passenger side and if you remove the inside partitions they tanks are there. On the drivers side this is where the water valves are. I have taken the valves loose so I can see behind them. The critters have run from side to side and left deposits everywhere.
> I read all the stuff you could on getting rid of them. There is no food in the RV. I see no evidence of a nest. Although you can’t see everywhere, I have a remote camera and have tried to look around. The only area I could find was where a heating duct comes out of there which I hopefully sealed. But that did not cure the issue.
> Now the bottom line is my question, has anyone had rats or in the same area? And if so did you find there place of entry?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
> 199 Safari 32’
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
'
TD

Post by TD »

'Steve,

Blocking up holes with steel wool helps, and using saturating cotton
balls with perpermint and/or mint oils helps too.

Sorry to hear about your coach being torched. If you like the
particular brand/model, Bill Edwards has a Zanzibar, the same year and
model that is for sale. Real nice coach that has been exceptionally
maintained and all gone through, and it has the nice walnut interior
to boot.

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, Cummins C8.3-300, Allison
6spd

On 7/8/19, Stephen Kutz skutz49@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> Not sure if this will work but I had problems with them nesting around the
> engine and heard that fabric softener sheets worked so I secured them in
> the compartment in several places and the nest builders have not returned.
> So I guess you could place them in the compartments and see if that works.
> It worked for mice. I periodically replace the sheets with new ones 2-3
> times a year.
>
> Steve Kutz
> 2000 Zanzibar
> Coach burn up by an arsonist
>
>
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 7:29 PM Paul Cella nanandpete@... [Safarifriends]
> <
> Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Weare inarizona, pack rats and mice are a problem any time the rv is left
>> outside for any length of time. I have filled every hole I can find
>> underneath the rig, all to no avail. I find dead mice behind the panels
>> many times. They smell! I honestly do not have a solution other than
>> keeping the rv inside. No luck with moth balls, cat pee, etc. would like
>> to
>> hear solutions by others, if any . Pete, 30’sahara, 1999
>> T
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> > On Jul 8, 2019, at 4:18 PM, chvet73@... [Safarifriends] <
>> Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Out here in the sunny California Desert where I reside we have what are
>> often called ‘tree rats’. Of course they have finally found a way into
>> the
>> Safari.
>> > They are in the main compartment which has 2 doors on the passenger
>> > side
>> and if you remove the inside partitions they tanks are there. On the
>> drivers side this is where the water valves are. I have taken the valves
>> loose so I can see behind them. The critters have run from side to side
>> and
>> left deposits everywhere.
>> > I read all the stuff you could on getting rid of them. There is no food
>> in the RV. I see no evidence of a nest. Although you can’t see
>> everywhere,
>> I have a remote camera and have tried to look around. The only area I
>> could
>> find was where a heating duct comes out of there which I hopefully
>> sealed..
>> But that did not cure the issue.
>> > Now the bottom line is my question, has anyone had rats or in the same
>> area? And if so did you find there place of entry?
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Mark
>> > 199 Safari 32’
>> >
>> > ------------------------------------
>> > Posted by: chvet73@...
>> >
>> > Community email addresses:
>> > Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
>> > Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
>> > Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
>> > List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com
>> >
>> > Shortcut URL to this page:
>> > http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends
>> >
>> > Yahoo Groups Links
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>
'
technolog1

Post by technolog1 »

'Irish spring soap bars works for me, i bought 10 and cut in half and spread all over. No problems. Also put rat poisoning  all over unless dogs are in home. Good luck.Craig  93 cont. 8.3 6 sp

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Stephen Kutz skutz49@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 7/8/19 9:55 PM (GMT-06:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Rats

Not sure if this will work but I had problems with them nesting around the engine and heard that fabric softener sheets worked so I secured them in the compartment in several places and the nest builders have not returned. So I guess you could place them in the compartments and see if that works. It worked for mice. I periodically replace the sheets with new ones 2-3 times a year. 

Weare inarizona, pack rats and mice are a problem any time the rv is left outside for any length of time. I have filled every hole I can find underneath the rig, all to no avail. I find dead mice behind the panels many times. They smell! I honestly do not have a solution other than keeping the rv inside. No luck with moth balls, cat pee, etc. would like to hear solutions by others, if any . Pete, 30’sahara, 1999
T
Sent from my iPhone

>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
> 199 Safari 32’
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>

'
deanshaw999

Post by deanshaw999 »

'Yes, I had mice in mine once while in Yellowstone.  I found a tear in the ducting under the right front of the RV.  I also suspected around the water connection service area.  They can squeeze through the slimest of places. There was snow outside at the time and they had babies in the basement.  I removed them with glue traps.Dean Shaw1999 Safari Sahara.'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' I use oil of Peppermint seam to work but I too have been a sealing fool with foam and steel wool. Have not had a critter in the Zanzibar in the 3 years it has been sitting. Panther the same in three years no critters, I live in a forested area anad pastured, plenty of mice around
Bill Edwards1999 Panther
On Monday, July 8, 2019, 08:56:09 PM MDT, Stephen Kutz skutz49@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Not sure if this will work but I had problems with them nesting around the engine and heard that fabric softener sheets worked so I secured them in the compartment in several places and the nest builders have not returned. So I guess you could place them in the compartments and see if that works. It worked for mice. I periodically replace the sheets with new ones 2-3 times a year. 

T
Sent from my iPhone

>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
> 199 Safari 32’
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>

'
Christina Lloyd

Post by Christina Lloyd »

'I had rodents (mice) while in Texas and at home ( momma and baby squirrels)- North Idaho forest.  I got a plug in electronic pest repeller, it even has the sound of an angry cat occasionally!  One in the basement and one in the living room of my 39Ft Serengeti. no evidence of critters since.  Its been 4 years now.
Christine
On ?Tuesday?, ?July? ?9?, ?2019? ?09?:?39?:?55? ?AM? ?PDT, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I use oil of Peppermint seam to work but I too have been a sealing fool with foam and steel wool. Have not had a critter in the Zanzibar in the 3 years it has been sitting. Panther the same in three years no critters, I live in a forested area anad pastured, plenty of mice around
Bill Edwards1999 Panther
On Monday, July 8, 2019, 08:56:09 PM MDT, Stephen Kutz skutz49@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

T
Sent from my iPhone

>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
> 199 Safari 32’
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>

'
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

'The only way to stop-em, is to block-em. Get a bright flashlight, a creeper and some safety glasses and roll around underneath looking for any hole regardless of how small. You can stuff the hole with steel wool, or stainless steel wool and hit it with expanding foam. Sometime a person inside shining a flashlight can reveal holes to a person outside or vice versa.

Note that mice and rats can dislocate their shoulders and hips to fit through any hole their skulls can fit through. Don't just look, but feel around any area where hoses wire bundles penetrate a compartment wall. An easy place to miss is behind the dash where large wire bundles come up through the floor. Don't assume that just because the factory foamed around them that it is a good seal. I found a gap in the center of my wire bundle under the dash by sticking my finger in the center of the bundle. Looked sealed visually. I thought I had mine sealed up tight and found evidence of a mouse inside this summer. Grabbed my creeper and checked again. This time I followed where my heater hoses to my hydronic system passed through into the compartment had a finger sized gap between the factory foam, and the hose. Couldn't see the compartment wall but I reached up over the top of the propane tank and felt it with my finger. One of my duties for the last 16 years of my work life was pest control and I'm pretty good at knowing what to look for, but those little guys always give me a run for the money. They can get into places I can't even see. Just when i think I've got them beat, one proves me wrong so don't expect this to be an easy battle. It takes patience and determination, the same thing they have looking for a way in.
When in storage, I have bait stations with block style bait under the rig and a couple traps inside baited with peanut butter to monitor for activity. I keep one trap in the main basement compartment, and one in the bottom of a cabinet in the center of the rig. Always place traps on a piece of thick cardboard because if you don't get the dead mouse out right away, they rot and turn to smelly goo that can seep into floor surfaces and is a bear to clean. I don't use snap traps because hearing one go off in the middle of the night while satisfying, make it hard to go back to sleep. I use ones that trap the mouse and can be tossed in the trash when tripped. I also use electronic traps. One that they crawl into to get to peanut butter at one end, and they are electrocuted. They cost about $20, run on AA batteries and are reusable. The down side is if the mouse rots in there, it can corrode the plates and they are harder to clean.
I'll give my standard talk regarding so called repellents and home remedies. Use them if you want, but always monitor with traps. As I like to say - trust but verify.  If it works for you then great. In our classes we had experts show slides of mice sleeping under electronic mouse chasers, and curled up in nice beds made of shredded dryer sheets. The mistake most people make with rodent control is looking at the problem with a human perspective. We know we will avoid something that is unpleasant and we assume pests will do the same. The problem is, they must survive on a daily basis by foraging for food, water and shelter in a hostile world. Rats travel and live in sewers so why would the smell of perfume or mint interfere with them finding what they need? Humans do the same to survive and all you need as proof is photos and videos of people scavenging for food at landfills in poor countries, its just the average person doesn't know what life is like when you struggle just to survive.
The other thing people don't realize is rodents cause millions - if not billions of dollars of loss and damage worldwide. I electronic pest chasers or drier sheets worked, food processing plants, granaries, restaurants and food storage facilities would be buying them by the pallet load. They'd be the default rodent treatment in countless places. They aren't - but then again, there's certainly no harm in trying if you want.
You'll note I use block style bait, not pellet type. I do so because mice hoard, and can spend a lot of time packing away uneaten bait in a stash before eating enough to die - you spend money to fill their pantries before you kill them. The block type locked in a bait station forces them to chew.
Good luck with your rodent control. Sorry if I stepped on any toes with my lecture.
Tom1998 Serengeti 3706300hp Cat 2126Allison 3060'
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

'Tom! I enjoyed that ‘lecture.’ All good information. And trust but verify definitely applies to these critters. Thanks for additional ideas. And I’ll 2nd the statement about them sticking! And they degrade to stick very quickly. So I’d add if you know you have a critterbor two then you want to check your rig at least every other day if you put out traps. Oh side note, I had a squirrel that was enjoying climbing up inside my back cap just aft of the engine, essentially above my lift gate access to the engine. I rolled rabbit cage wire and placed up in this crawl space (the width of the coach) then used the expanding foam to seal the area. This and a pellet rifle solved my squirrel issue.
Thanks for the good info.
R/wm
Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 11, 2019, at 12:18 AM, astrnmrtom@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

The only way to stop-em, is to block-em. Get a bright flashlight, a creeper and some safety glasses and roll around underneath looking for any hole regardless of how small. You can stuff the hole with steel wool, or stainless steel wool and hit it with expanding foam. Sometime a person inside shining a flashlight can reveal holes to a person outside or vice versa.

Note that mice and rats can dislocate their shoulders and hips to fit through any hole their skulls can fit through. Don't just look, but feel around any area where hoses wire bundles penetrate a compartment wall. An easy place to miss is behind the dash where large wire bundles come up through the floor. Don't assume that just because the factory foamed around them that it is a good seal. I found a gap in the center of my wire bundle under the dash by sticking my finger in the center of the bundle. Looked sealed visually. I thought I had mine sealed up tight and found evidence of a mouse inside this summer. Grabbed my creeper and checked again. This time I followed where my heater hoses to my hydronic system passed through into the compartment had a finger sized gap between the factory foam, and the hose. Couldn't see the compartment wall but I reached up over the top of the propane tank and felt it with my finger. One of my duties for the last 16 years of my work life was pest control and I'm pretty good at knowing what to look for, but those little guys always give me a run for the money. They can get into places I can't even see. Just when i think I've got them beat, one proves me wrong so don't expect this to be an easy battle. It takes patience and determination, the same thing they have looking for a way in.
When in storage, I have bait stations with block style bait under the rig and a couple traps inside baited with peanut butter to monitor for activity. I keep one trap in the main basement compartment, and one in the bottom of a cabinet in the center of the rig. Always place traps on a piece of thick cardboard because if you don't get the dead mouse out right away, they rot and turn to smelly goo that can seep into floor surfaces and is a bear to clean. I don't use snap traps because hearing one go off in the middle of the night while satisfying, make it hard to go back to sleep. I use ones that trap the mouse and can be tossed in the trash when tripped. I also use electronic traps. One that they crawl into to get to peanut butter at one end, and they are electrocuted. They cost about $20, run on AA batteries and are reusable. The down side is if the mouse rots in there, it can corrode the plates and they are harder to clean.
I'll give my standard talk regarding so called repellents and home remedies. Use them if you want, but always monitor with traps. As I like to say - trust but verify.  If it works for you then great. In our classes we had experts show slides of mice sleeping under electronic mouse chasers, and curled up in nice beds made of shredded dryer sheets. The mistake most people make with rodent control is looking at the problem with a human perspective. We know we will avoid something that is unpleasant and we assume pests will do the same. The problem is, they must survive on a daily basis by foraging for food, water and shelter in a hostile world. Rats travel and live in sewers so why would the smell of perfume or mint interfere with them finding what they need? Humans do the same to survive and all you need as proof is photos and videos of people scavenging for food at landfills in poor countries, its just the average person doesn't know what life is like when you struggle just to survive.
The other thing people don't realize is rodents cause millions - if not billions of dollars of loss and damage worldwide. I electronic pest chasers or drier sheets worked, food processing plants, granaries, restaurants and food storage facilities would be buying them by the pallet load. They'd be the default rodent treatment in countless places. They aren't - but then again, there's certainly no harm in trying if you want.
You'll note I use block style bait, not pellet type. I do so because mice hoard, and can spend a lot of time packing away uneaten bait in a stash before eating enough to die - you spend money to fill their pantries before you kill them. The block type locked in a bait station forces them to chew.
Good luck with your rodent control. Sorry if I stepped on any toes with my lecture.
Tom1998 Serengeti 3706300hp Cat 2126Allison 3060
'
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060