Re: Rust removal from undercarriage, horizontal surfaces of frame ra

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Bilmac36

Rust removal from undercarriage, horizontal surfaces of frame rails,

Post by Bilmac36 »

'
All, if you are reading this a 2nd time then my apologies. I wrote similar email earlier today but appears I didn't click Send and I don't see it posted, nor in my sent folder, nor my drafts. 

As noted in my brake post, I am taking small chunks of doing rust abatement and metal preservation. Wire brushing, power drill with wire wheel, knocking off the surface rust, cleaning, then using the Rustoleum Rust Restorer. Since I started this project I watched an ad on my FB showing a laser device for sale and the ad used this video linked here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=laser+rust+remover+for+metal&view=detail&mid=530A7FECB8DF74A955B4530A7FECB8DF74A955B4&FORM=VIRE

A bit more research and I found a Road and Track link from Aug2016: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/videos/a30597/best-rust-remover-laser/ 

These two different links dated about one year apart note the price to be north of 1/2Mil $'s or $50k respectively. Yet the ad I watched noted I could get one for ~$150.00! Seems like some snake oil salesman, but wanted to ask the group to see if anyone has bought and or using such a device?

I'm using the tried and true method passed down among Sailors and others in the steel industry for years. It works, but is of course time consuming and labor intensive. 

Question: Any of you used one of these new low cost models?  Seems a bit like too good to be true. But then, hey, I hold a phone in my hand that has perhaps 1000 times more computing capability and memory storage than my first lap top did, and my Sweetheart can talk into her Dick Tracey wrist watch. So maybe I'm just behind the times here.

Appreciate your time and thoughts.
r/w

Now let me be sure to click the Send button!'
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
technolog1

Post by technolog1 »

'I ordered it off facebook and never got it.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "bilmac36@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 7/22/19 1:44 PM (GMT-06:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Safarifriends] Rust removal from undercarriage, horizontal surfaces of frame rails, etc

All, if you are reading this a 2nd time then my apologies. I wrote similar email earlier today but appears I didn't click Send and I don't see it posted, nor in my sent folder, nor my drafts. 

As noted in my brake post, I am taking small chunks of doing rust abatement and metal preservation. Wire brushing, power drill with wire wheel, knocking off the surface rust, cleaning, then using the Rustoleum Rust Restorer. Since I started this project I watched an ad on my FB showing a laser device for sale and the ad used this video linked here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=laser+rust+remover+for+metal&view=detail&mid=530A7FECB8DF74A955B4530A7FECB8DF74A955B4&FORM=VIRE

A bit more research and I found a Road and Track link from Aug2016: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/videos/a30597/best-rust-remover-laser/ 

These two different links dated about one year apart note the price to be north of 1/2Mil $'s or $50k respectively. Yet the ad I watched noted I could get one for ~$150.00! Seems like some snake oil salesman, but wanted to ask the group to see if anyone has bought and or using such a device?

I'm using the tried and true method passed down among Sailors and others in the steel industry for years. It works, but is of course time consuming and labor intensive. 

Question: Any of you used one of these new low cost models?  Seems a bit like too good to be true. But then, hey, I hold a phone in my hand that has perhaps 1000 times more computing capability and memory storage than my first lap top did, and my Sweetheart can talk into her Dick Tracey wrist watch. So maybe I'm just behind the times here.

r/w

Now let me be sure to click the Send button!
'
bilmac36 .

Post by bilmac36 . »

'ok, thanks for the note. I'm going to stay clear of it until I know it is more mainstream. 
On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 9:45 PM technolog1 technolog1@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I ordered it off facebook and never got it.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "bilmac36@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 7/22/19 1:44 PM (GMT-06:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Safarifriends] Rust removal from undercarriage, horizontal surfaces of frame rails, etc

r/w

'
S HI

Post by S HI »

'I watched the video and it appears to me that the laser might be removing surface rust, or what I would call "flash" rust, not deep embedded rust that you would expect to see on the bottom of our motorhomes.  And then I wonder about the safety of reflected laser energy hitting eyeballs!
Steve2003 Safari Cheetah
On Mon, Jul 22, 2019, 2:48 PM bilmac36@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

r/w

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' I looked on Alibaba and found this is a valid technology. There are several if not hundreds of laser rust removal systems ranging from about $3,000 to over $100,000 using Laser Technology. So we know the technology is there, it's whether or not the unit you're considering works.
A few years ago I bought PCB integrated circuit removal and placement tool. A known good system cost about $1,500, I bought one advertised for $400, off shore after watching the videos. It damaged the circuit boards because the laser power not correctly controlled. Also the laser bulb was very expensive to replace and worth more than the entire unit. I still have it.
My suggestion would be to find people who have actually bought and used it. Be wary of the posted reviews because often the seller simply has their friends post. You can tell by the quality of the English sometimes. Also I would buy on eBay or Amazon so that you have some recourse if it doesn't work. I have dealt a great deal with companies in China and this is where almost all of these machines come from. Some of the machines are excellent quality but like any country and company the buyer must be aware.
If you can find the same machine from Taiwan you would have a better chance of quality and success.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Continental3126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allisonhttps://safaritoonces.org July 22, 2019 11:48:14 AM "bilmac36@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

r/w

'
bilmac36 .

Post by bilmac36 . »

'Appreciate your continued research on them. Your printed circuit board IC chip removal search reminds me of my 2M days of micro miniature soldering. Too much excavation in multilayered boards and exact heat placement for me to enjoy. But that's a story for another day.If I owned a repair shop or such I'd pursue more, not that i couldn't put one to good use with my plethora of fossil fuel burning things in my yard. For now I'm going to revert back to an angle grinder with a wire brush wheel. But I've essentially finished the area in my driver's wheel well to the extent my arms can reach. I'm going to give myself about 12 months to believe I'll get from stem to stern on the undercarriage and bust rust and recoat with the Rustoleum. Perhaps as the advertising builds and the lasers are found more in the general population we'll hear good stories and perhaps know someone in person that has used them by then.  
Good to hear your experience about components from the various countries and their quality control.thanks,wm'95 Continental
On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:39 AM Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I looked on Alibaba and found this is a valid technology. There are several if not hundreds of laser rust removal systems ranging from about $3,000 to over $100,000 using Laser Technology. So we know the technology is there, it's whether or not the unit you're considering works.
A few years ago I bought PCB integrated circuit removal and placement tool. A known good system cost about $1,500, I bought one advertised for $400, off shore after watching the videos. It damaged the circuit boards because the laser power not correctly controlled. Also the laser bulb was very expensive to replace and worth more than the entire unit. I still have it.
My suggestion would be to find people who have actually bought and used it. Be wary of the posted reviews because often the seller simply has their friends post. You can tell by the quality of the English sometimes. Also I would buy on eBay or Amazon so that you have some recourse if it doesn't work. I have dealt a great deal with companies in China and this is where almost all of these machines come from. Some of the machines are excellent quality but like any country and company the buyer must be aware.
If you can find the same machine from Taiwan you would have a better chance of quality and success.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Continental3126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allisonhttps://safaritoonces.org July 22, 2019 11:48:14 AM "bilmac36@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

r/w

'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'r/w, (aka: bilmac36)Are people actually removing the "naturally occurring surface rust" from the undercarriage of their coaches?(If so, can someone explain WHY??)
IMO, (and experience),  "doing rust abatement and metal preservation. Wire brushing, power drill with wire wheel, knocking off the surface rust, cleaning, then using the Rustoleum Rust Restorer",  is an exercise in futility.

BTW, I don't know of anyone who removes the rust from the undercarriage of their automobile(s)...(unless they are doing a "frame off" restoration of an antique vehicle).

Mel'96 Sahara, (with a rusty undercarriage)

https://safaritoonces.org July 22, 2019 11:48:14 AM "bilmac36@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

r/w
'
Mark Cushman

Post by Mark Cushman »

'I owned a 1973 Corvette for 18 years.  When I purchased it I used a rust encapsulater on the frame.  I found the product in Hemmings.  Can’t remember the name.   When I sold the car the frame looked as good as the day I painted it.   It was a nasty job.  The product was similar to Por 15.  To me the encapsulater route is far easier then the wire brush routine.   
Mark1999 Safari 32’

Sent from my iPad
On Jul 26, 2019, at 9:35 AM, stuplich@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

r/w, (aka: bilmac36)Are people actually removing the "naturally occurring surface rust" from the undercarriage of their coaches?(If so, can someone explain WHY??)
IMO, (and experience),  "doing rust abatement and metal preservation. Wire brushing, power drill with wire wheel, knocking off the surface rust, cleaning, then using the Rustoleum Rust Restorer",  is an exercise in futility.

BTW, I don't know of anyone who removes the rust from the undercarriage of their automobile(s)...(unless they are doing a "frame off" restoration of an antique vehicle).

https://safaritoonces.org July 22, 2019 11:48:14 AM "bilmac36@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

r/w

'
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

'Well Mel let’s chalk it up to different strokes for different folks. You do as you will with yours and I will with mine. But the why is actually quite simple, rust is an oxide build up and it weakens the integrity of the structure. You asked a Sailor a question that seems Ridiculous to be asked. But to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 26, 2019, at 11:35 AM, stuplich@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

r/w, (aka: bilmac36)Are people actually removing the "naturally occurring surface rust" from the undercarriage of their coaches?(If so, can someone explain WHY??)

r/w

'
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
robertfury@gmail.com

Post by robertfury@gmail.com »

'I have done frame rust abatement on cars (well trucks), and I’ve never done a frame off restoration. I’ve hear of people on this site that had their basement steel rust so severely (and because it’s thinner material) their basement floors partially fell out on a trip. I bet they had wished they had done some rust abatement. My Continental was stored in Puget Sound area of Washington. I’ve definitely done some abatement, and will be doing more. Is it needed on the frame rails? Probably not, super thick steel. But if I ever sell, it will sell faster and for more.'