Re: General AC question on toad

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
lotosrggp1

General AC question on toad

Post by lotosrggp1 »

'This group has an amazing wealth of knowledge so it seems like a good place to ask.
On our toad, 1998 Honda Civic, the Air Conditioner works most of the time, but sometimes on a cold start or a restart when hot it tries but doesn't cool. It appears to have a full charge.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tom
97 Safari Sahara 3550'
robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com

Post by robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com »

'I have a similar thing happening on my 99 F350 diesel. The searchs I did for my vehicle indicate there is a timer relay that holds off power to the computer (GEM) module for a few seconds after the key is turned on. Sometimes it fails and then does not supply power to the A/C clutch which will not engage as well as other things. 
First check all the fuses, then try to find the relay that controls the A/C clutch. At times the relays get oxidized where they plug into the panel. Cleaning the contacts with a cleaner and re-inserting several times sometimes makes the contact.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental3126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org

'
ondaflore

Post by ondaflore »

'Tom,
Can you see the driven plate on the compressor clutch to see if it is spinning, indicating that the compressor clutch is actually engaging?  If the Honda is high mileage, the air gap on the clutch may have worn to the point that the clutch will not engage consistently.  If you can safely get to the face of the clutch, tap it with a bottle jack handle or something similar and see if the clutch engages. Tap the face of the clutch on the side that will be spinning away from you if it does engage. I don't know about the Honda but the air gap on some Fords can be adjusted.  Do a YouTube search for "F250 A/C  clutch won't engage"
Bob2001 Jazibbare
'
lotosrggp1

Post by lotosrggp1 »

'Bob,
Sounds like a good likelihood this is the problem.
Hi mileage, yes, 344K + besides those that don't show being towed. For the most part only minor problems although I did a a head gasket last month. Second tank after I got 44.3mpg, almost always get 40.
Thanks for your help,
Tom
97 Sahara
98 Honda Civic'
lotosrggp1

Post by lotosrggp1 »

'Bob,
Thanks for the suggestion.
What I found was indeed an air gap problem. I was able to use an impact to remove the nut holding the face of the electric clutch in place and remove said plate. Gap of the engagement faces is controlled by a thin bushing/washer, which I removed and used a wire wheel to clean up a little rust. Works perfect.
Tom
97 Sahara 3550 300 CAT'