Re: Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Jumpnjoe59

Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly

Post by Jumpnjoe59 »

'Last week my fuel gauge went from working to now the needle goes hard right (last full). I have searched Google and found what appears to be good direction https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27307244/print/true.cfm . My issue is I can't find the sending unit wire. I follow the diesel supply to a large tank under the front of the RV. Crawled around underneath and have been unsuccessful in finding any wiring. Believe I should be checking for an open circuit just can't find the wiring to check. If it is the sending unit...does the tank need to be dropped? Does anyone know the part number?

Joe, 1997 Sahara 3550, 3126b, 6 spd Ally'
burch1945

Post by burch1945 »

'Joe, I have a 1996 Sahara and in order to get to the sending unit it is necessary to drop the tank. At least it was on mine. It's a pain in the butt and you need to get someone to help you. you cannot do it by yourself. It took 2 of us all day long to drain the tank, install a new sending unit, install a new gauge and put about 55 gallons of diesel fuel back into the tank. If you need to call me to discuss it please call (904) 318-7714 and I'll help you if I can. 
Joe Burch 1996 sahara, 3126 cat

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8.
-------- Original message --------From: "jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 8/2/19 10:01 AM (GMT-05:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Safarifriends] Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly

Last week my fuel gauge went from working to now the needle goes hard right (last full). I have searched Google and found what appears to be good direction https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuse ... t/true.cfm . My issue is I can't find the sending unit wire. I follow the diesel supply to a large tank under the front of the RV. Crawled around underneath and have been unsuccessful in finding any wiring. Believe I should be checking for an open circuit just can't find the wiring to check. If it is the sending unit...does the tank need to be dropped? Does anyone know the part number?

Joe, 1997 Sahara 3550, 3126b, 6 spd Ally '
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

'Joe, Due to a gauge issue I had on mine way back when I’m wondering have you been able to test the gauge? I’m assuming it is an analog gauge and not digital. If you have access to the back of the gauge then I would pull the leads (marking where they go) and test it first. Sounds as if it may be the easiest and quickest to ck. On my Continental one merely removes the back cover of the instrument cluster to gain access.
If you can gain access and once you remove the leads note what the gauge does. If memory serves correct a hard ground will send the analog gauges to far right. Pls double ck the web for testing analog gauges.’ But believe I am correct.
This should help identify if a faulty gauge.R/Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd 

Sent from my iPhone
On Aug 2, 2019, at 10:29 AM, burch1945 burch1945@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Joe, I have a 1996 Sahara and in order to get to the sending unit it is necessary to drop the tank. At least it was on mine. It's a pain in the butt and you need to get someone to help you. you cannot do it by yourself. It took 2 of us all day long to drain the tank, install a new sending unit, install a new gauge and put about 55 gallons of diesel fuel back into the tank. If you need to call me to discuss it please call (904) 318-7714 and I'll help you if I can. 
Joe Burch 1996 sahara, 3126 cat

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8.
-------- Original message --------From: "jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 8/2/19 10:01 AM (GMT-05:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Safarifriends] Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly

Last week my fuel gauge went from working to now the needle goes hard right (last full). I have searched Google and found what appears to be good direction https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27307244/print/true.cfm . My issue is I can't find the sending unit wire. I follow the diesel supply to a large tank under the front of the RV. Crawled around underneath and have been unsuccessful in finding any wiring. Believe I should be checking for an open circuit just can't find the wiring to check. If it is the sending unit...does the tank need to be dropped? Does anyone know the part number?

Joe, 1997 Sahara 3550, 3126b, 6 spd Ally
'
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
Rollin'

Post by Rollin' »

'Actually an open circuit will peg the gauge.  Long story short, I traced the line on my gauge when it pegged and showed continuity all the way to the sender.  I began to remove the gauge from the dash for further testing and the needle moved off of full++.  It was literally stuck.  Apparently if the gauge is reading below half a tank and you experience a momentary open circuit, the needle can move to "Full" violently enough to get stuck there.  Quick cure: try thumping the glass on the gauge to see if it pops loose.  Mine has pegged a couple of times since then and a quick thump did the trick.
On my 2001 Zanzibar, the sender is on the side of the tank on the driver's side.  There is a hole in the frame rail big enough to access the spade terminals on the sender.  If you run the front jack down and crawl under, you can ground the sender output and see if the gauge moves to "Empty".  Ground the gauge with an alligator clip and get out from under there BEFORE you have a helper turn on the ignition and check the gauge.  You don't want them to lean out the window to give feedback and hit the "All Down" button on the jack control with their elbow while you are under there.  As me how I know...

Bob2001 ZHuntsville AL
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android'