Re: [Safarifriends] Toad, Dingy, ‘00 Chevy 1500, 4x4

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Bilmac36

Toad, Dingy, ‘00 Chevy 1500, 4x4

Post by Bilmac36 »

'All, those who have flat towed truck with a motorcycle in bed please chime in here.

I have narrowed my search to the subj truck due to weight, 8’ bed, hauling capacity, & ease of putting transfer case in Neutral.

My other trucks would work but would cause me greater concern.
The 4x4 Duramax is a tad heavier than I want to crisscross country with and only has a 6’ bed.
The older antique ‘92 although has an 8’ bed and a neutral position xfer case setting will pass most things on the road with exception of gas stations as it was built to be constantly thirsty.

Im heading out to buy the single cab, long bed, K1500, for purposes stated and noted.

Yes I have a history of towing multiple size trailers and smaller dingies behind her, but just looking for personal experience if you’ve been there done that with full size truck and a bike.
Thanks,
Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd

Sent from my iPhone'
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Willie,What’s your Connie’s tow rating?  I suspect 5,000 pounds?  Any pickup with an 8’ bed and loaded with a road bike will exceed 5,000 by a whole lot.  I don’t believe Safari went to a 10,000 rating until the Panther.
Gary‘98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 11:00 AM bilmac36 bilmac36@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

All, those who have flat towed truck with a motorcycle in bed please chime in here.

I have narrowed my search to the subj truck due to weight, 8’ bed, hauling capacity, & ease of putting transfer case in Neutral.

The 4x4 Duramax is a tad heavier than I want to crisscross country with and only has a 6’ bed.
The older antique ‘92 although has an 8’ bed and a neutral position xfer case setting will pass most things on the road with exception of gas stations as it was built to be constantly thirsty.

Im heading out to buy the single cab, long bed, K1500, for purposes stated and noted.

Yes I have a history of towing multiple size trailers and smaller dingies behind her, but just looking for personal experience if you’ve been there done that with full size truck and a bike.
Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
technolog1

Post by technolog1 »

'Ok, i screwed up. I thought it was 10k towing weight. I know the 8.3 can handle it. What about the tranny? Can i cut off the hitch on there and add a bolt on reese.?  I am in deep dodo with my wife.Craig. 93 cont. 8.3. 6sp,

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 8/2/19 6:29 PM (GMT-06:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Toad, Dingy, ‘00 Chevy 1500, 4x4

Willie,What’s your Connie’s tow rating?  I suspect 5,000 pounds?  Any pickup with an 8’ bed and loaded with a road bike will exceed 5,000 by a whole lot.  I don’t believe Safari went to a 10,000 rating until the Panther.

All, those who have flat towed truck with a motorcycle in bed please chime in here.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
'
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

'Thanks Gary. I’ll have to double check that issue. The 5000 lb limit may be my hitch issue. I’ll have to ck my GCWR. I can put a heavier rated hitch on if needed.
But know the 8.3L and Allison 6 spd can far exceed that limit, do it safely, and get descent mpg doing it. 
In regards to this particular truck and bike, the  combo weight well be actually close to 5 k. This is about as light a truck I can find (or be comfortable with) to haul my bike. Their combined weight should be about 5,200lbs.
But understand your viewpoint.Thanks.Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd 

Sent from my iPhone
On Aug 2, 2019, at 6:29 PM, Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Willie,What’s your Connie’s tow rating?  I suspect 5,000 pounds?  Any pickup with an 8’ bed and loaded with a road bike will exceed 5,000 by a whole lot.  I don’t believe Safari went to a 10,000 rating until the Panther.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone --
Gary Smith
ImageImage
'
r/Willie
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

'Craig, Goodmorning. I’m assuming form your comments that you believe you are towing something in excess of what your hitch is rated and your wife now assumes it is unsafe. ??Before making changes I would recommend going to a scale house and getting weighed. Determine what your coaches Combined gross weight rating is & actual weight of rig and toad/dingy. Most scale houses (large truck stops have them) will allow you to weigh twice under one fee. As in a loaded weight and unloaded weight. Use your weight numbers to help determine what you need to do at that point.
In regards to the allison 6 spd handling the weight, my experience says yes, easily. Assuming your setup is OEM then you have what I refer to as the first generation MD3000 series Allison 6 spd. I say this as when you change out your filters the Allison filter kit OEM literature will tell you based on the tran’s serial numbers whether to use the large o-ring on the base of filter housing. The earlier set of s/n’s don’t use the o-ring. Hence your trans should be same gen as mine. That being said I have used Connie over the years to do many things. From being a home the obvious to towing a large enclosed tandem trailer that was extremely over weighted, to open trailers with 3/4 ton gas engine truck on tandem trailer, to other smaller flat bed and smaller dingy tows. She never missed a beat. As I understand the tranny electronics it learns as you go. I will add that the heaviest loads were out is Southern California across some descent grades of mountain ranges heading back east. Now I don’t drive as if I’m on the Daytona race circuit, nor do I great Grandma it either. Lead, follow or get out the way is typical for me. I’ve done all three.So with that bit of towing history I’ll note our Allison’s have dual internal cartridge type filtration system. I think the ally engineers did good with this.  Now when I recently changed my fluid and showed a video to an allison technician he commented how bright and good quality the old fluid appeared. But I must add that my coach has an aftermarket Paradyn Oil Purifier set up as well. This is yet another, 3rd stage filtering (and water dissipation system. Found typically in marine applications.) So have to assume it helped keep my 20 year tranny fluid nice and not burnt looking as well. For those curious I blocked/deleted this set up for now. The added expense of the filters along with how the banjo bolt protruded from the transmission lower casing caused me concerns. If I travel to the extent I think I currently want to, then I may put things back in place and utilize it in the future.
I know I’ve been long winded to your assumption of screwing up, but have you? Lastly, I’d say what others may not fully grasp, with age comes metal fatigue, rust, road stress, dissimilar metals contacting, etc can and will cause weak points. I will be doing a thorough visual inspection of my hitch, and may have it reinforced with braces welded, and or may just upgrade to the larger modern heavier ones now being placed on one ton type trucks, etc. 
I’m sure others will have their opinions. But this is some real world experience.
Enjoy the wandering about our Nation!R/Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd 
Sent from my iPhone
On Aug 2, 2019, at 10:07 PM, technolog1 technolog1@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Ok, i screwed up. I thought it was 10k towing weight. I know the 8.3 can handle it. What about the tranny? Can i cut off the hitch on there and add a bolt on reese.?  I am in deep dodo with my wife.Craig. 93 cont. 8.3. 6sp,

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 8/2/19 6:29 PM (GMT-06:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Toad, Dingy, ‘00 Chevy 1500, 4x4

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone --
Gary Smith
ImageImage

'
r/Willie
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Robert, Part of the consideration in developing the tow ratings is based on the weakest link.  Since SMC built my chassis, they came up with the ratings.  They may have installed a receiver that was 5,000 lb rated because 20 to 30 years ago most other motor home makers were at that point, and they could save a few bucks by not pushing the envelope in that area.  Check your receiver for load markings.  The load rating is stamped into mine where it can be seen.
Don’t know if we have anyone on SF, or any where else who has the structural specs on the frame components and quality of construction methods to make a determination any different from what SMC engineers developed so that installing a 10,000 lb rated receiver could be safely installed and used.  I would expect the engine and transmission would be no problem, but how about the brakes and suspension system?
Most auxiliary tow brakes are priced between $800 and $1,300, plus installation, not including getting your toad’s lights working with the RV.   --
Gary Smith
ImageImage'