Re: Refrigerator check light

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Taylor 
Thank you very much for the information. There were a number of posts a few months ago on this issue and the safety concerns. I've seen a lot of burned-out units in the salvage yards and without going over all the points posted before, this is a major concern to me. We had a fire in fifth wheel in that area. 
I ideally wanted to eliminate the propane fridge entirely but I didn't understand that we could have the same problem using just the electric system. Is this because the electric system works the same as propane in that it heats the sodium? If that's true then the issue is still there whether on propane or electricity. 
The system with John pointed out replaces the entire sodium condenser system with a 12 volt low power alternative but it's about $1000. It's almost worth just changing the whole fridge out at that price point . A major problem is getting the old fridge out and the new one in... I'm not sure how that would be done except through the front window. If you or others have knowledge on this please share.
Again thank you for the information and clarification. 
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
On August 5, 2019 5:25:36 PM "W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Robert,You are correct in your assumptions of the Norcold recall module.  On early models it wires inline with the coach power supply to the fridge controller, and when tripped, the whole fridge is dead. 
The exact concern is not flue temperature, but boiler tube temperature.  When the refrigerator is off level (>3 degrees), the gravity flow of the condensed refrigerant to the boiler tube can be used be interrupted.  Once all the accumulated liquid refrigerant in the boiler tube has flashed off to gas, there is no medium left in the boiler tube to absorb heat, except to superheat the remaining gas (which has very minimal thermal transfer when compared to a liquid to gas phase change).
There is a snap type thermal switch at the very top on the boiler tube which closes around 115 degrees F to activate the two “pancake” fans atop the condenser coils.  This switch and fans are intended to help improve refrigerator performance in hot summer ambient conditions and does not assist in cooling the boiler tube during “dry firing” conditions. 
Before installation of the recall thermal limiter, there was nothing to limit heat input to boiler tube during interruption of condensate flow.  If the coach/camper remained off level long enough, the “dry” boiler tube could reach 800 degrees F, potentially inducing temperature related stresses.  The problem can occur regardless of mode of operation (gas or electric).. Obviously if the boiler tube cracks and leaks while firing in the gas mode,  there is a present ignition source to ignite the combustible ammonia gas (ignition point of 1,204 degrees F).   Ammonia which has leaked from a cracked boiler tube is said to leave a yellow residue behind. Regardless, due to the sensitive nature of the refrigerant charge in an absorption cooling system, any refrigerant leak will result in appreciable deterioration of system performance. 
Those of us that are experimenting with installing fans in our flue spaces and/or at the refrigerator evaporator are attempting to improve cooling performance.  Also note that Norcold requires that when flue spaces are more than an inch deeper than the condenser coils (more than an inch of clearance), baffles should be installed in the flue closing this gap (so as to cause most of the convective air flow in the flue to pass over the condensing coils).  SMC certainly missed the boat on this as far as my coach is concerned. 
When comparing costs of the “Amish heavy walled boiler tube” units, or the 12 compressor based cooling units, remember residential refrigerators can be found that size wise fit the 1200 opening. If you have a 2,000 watt sine wave inverter, you should be good to go except for boon docking, where a cycling generator or a fair amount of solar power is needed. Per the forums, most people that install residential refrigerators never look back. v/r,
Taylor Hudson‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126acquired 2018

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 4:34 PM robert lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Jim

The jumper completed the circuit provided by the add on board. I am assuming that the thermocouple on the exhaust stack was monitored by the add on board and when below the setpoint (ie. system off, or in range) the interlock was completed allowing the remaining start sequence or run operation to function. Again my assumption: the add-on board with the micro monitored fail and other fault conditions and provided the above interlock signal. I just bypassed the board with all the checks with the jumper gave a good interlock, therefore not a way to run the fidge, just a troubleshooting operation. John helped me troubleshoot and understand the operation.

Yes I tried the magnet and no luck it would not reset.

That is a clever design you did and I think I understand I used a PID controller similar to yours, for controlling additional cooling fans for my inverter in the power bay. What I don't understand is why the stack would reach excessive temperatures... is this a run away condition and if so what would cause that?

What I would like to do if money where not an object and it seems to be right now... is to replace the whole propane system with the low current 12v compressor alternative John mentioned.

I haven't tried this yet, but was going to look at what the current draw would be on the 120v operation and as an interim solution connect the fridge to the 120v inverter circuit and leave the whole propane system off for the fridge. Do you see any down side to that? Thanks for the suggestions and heads up.

Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, 2017 - present
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends] wrote on 8/5/2019 12:12 PM:

Robert,
Yes the picture came through; that is how i knew you were talking about the Norcold recall.
If you read your email that I responded to, nowhere did you mention Norcold; no one did or for that matter, where this mystery "red light" is located. When I saw your picture, I focused on that issue and possibly that is not the original posters problem; who knows from the emails.
I see from the picture that you have a jumper instead of the thermocouple. What did that do? Is the red LED on the recall box still on? Have you tried resetting the recall box with a magnet? Is the thermocouple still attached to the burner stack (chimney)?

I removed my recall box and it would fail with no input sitting on my bench when power was applied. I have drawn a schematic of the circuit board and identified the components. Unfortunately, one is a micro processor and I have no way to determine the program it runs so it sits in the "dead letter file".
My solution:
The thermocouple is a K type so I purchased a TC controller from eBay for a bout $10. In heating mode it closes a relay until the set point is reached and the range is up to 500C. I found a patent document for Norcold that talks of a unit similar to the recall box and the limit is set at 430F, about 221C and that is what I set my controller to.
As long as the chimney is below the set point as measured by the TC, the relay stays closed and completes the safety circuit which is the same thing the Norcold box did.
If it tripped by exceeding the set point, my control would turn on again which I did not want so I added a relay with a holding circuit so you can only start the circuit by pushing a button. A dual color LED I added confirms the status, Red for power and ready to run, green for running.
I mounted my system in the panel under the refrigerator in my Journey; a picture of it running is attached. This way I can keep an eye on the temps when we are in the coach.
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

On 8/5/2019 11:33 AM, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
  Jim
It just keeps getting better... now the manufacturer's are added to the list of the negligent and incompetent.
I don't understand about the picture, did my picture not come thru?
Yes I would appreciate a fix for this. Thank you.
Robert and Bev Lewis 2000 Safari Continental, since 2017 3126B Cat, 330hp MD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org On August 5, 2019 5:23:15 AM "James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends]" Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:  
Robert,
To put it mildly, "Norcold has had their way with you".
A picture would have saved a lot of time. This is a Norcold recall fix that DOES NOT WORK for very long after it is installed and is non repairable.
Around here the dealers will not touch it because Norcold won't pay much and won't stand behind it.
Now, the good news. I had the same recall done on my Norcold 1210 in my Journey. After it died, I put it back to original and ran one trip that way with no problem. I then devised an alternate control.
Interested?
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID
On 8/4/2019 7:52 PM, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
  Patrick
My fridge failed in a similar way and it was the factory recall add-on board. John helped me verify the problem by bypassing the board with a jumper on the board input. I cannot run the fridge this way because there is no thermal feed back for the exhaust stack and posses a serious fire risk, but you can verify and see if this is the problem.
 I've attached a picture but I'm not sure if it will get through the mail system.
Robert and Bev Lewis 2000 Safari Continental, since 2017 3126B Cat, 330hp MD3060 Allison
On August 4, 2019 6:18:47 PM agin.patrick@...[Safarifriends] Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:  
Thanks to all of you Robert, Gary, Marc, Craig and Mel ! I slowly opened the propane valve, I succeeded in opening the stove, I have also hot water now but the check light of the fridge is still there. I opened the outside door of the fridge but don't see anything like a T valve. I tried to join a picture but don't see how with my phone.
Thanks again for your help
Patrick
Sahara 96

Image Virus-free. www.avg.com

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Jim
Thank you for the manual.
Tomorrow I will recheck the controller board but as I remember it that board plugged into the the orange connector. The old thermocouple was disconnected and a band connector held the new one onto the stack. Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
On August 5, 2019 2:40:15 PM "James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

Robert,
I am talking about the orange wire connecting two pins in the black connector at the center of the board. That is the connection point for the thermocouple, one lead being yellow, the other red. I can see the yellow label and it should have a T/C label near the socket.
Shorting this will not complete the circuit back to the Norcold main board.

I understand the function of the recall add on but without any excess events, mine and many others just died. The internet is full of stories.
The idea was to monitor the stack temp and shut down before it could cause a fire. Instead of a simple temp control, they got cute with a if/then program running in a micro processor and somewhere in that string, it failed.
My system relies on the Norcold added thermocouple for the heat detection.
Jim Exler
On 8/5/2019 2:11 PM, robert lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Jim

The jumper completed the circuit provided by the add on board. I am assuming that the thermocouple on the exhaust stack was monitored by the add on board and when below the setpoint (ie. system off, or in range) the interlock was completed allowing the remaining start sequence or run operation to function. Again my assumption: the add-on board with the micro monitored fail and other fault conditions and provided the above interlock signal. I just bypassed the board with all the checks with the jumper gave a good interlock, therefore not a way to run the fidge, just a troubleshooting operation. John helped me troubleshoot and understand the operation.

That is a clever design you did and I think I understand I used a PID controller similar to yours, for controlling additional cooling fans for my inverter in the power bay. What I don't understand is why the stack would reach excessive temperatures... is this a run away condition and if so what would cause that?

What I would like to do if money where not an object and it seems to be right now... is to replace the whole propane system with the low current 12v compressor alternative John mentioned.

I haven't tried this yet, but was going to look at what the current draw would be on the 120v operation and as an interim solution connect the fridge to the 120v inverter circuit and leave the whole propane system off for the fridge. Do you see any down side to that? Thanks for the suggestions and heads up.

Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

Robert,
Yes the picture came through; that is how i knew you were talking about the Norcold recall.
If you read your email that I responded to, nowhere did you mention Norcold; no one did or for that matter, where this mystery "red light" is located. When I saw your picture, I focused on that issue and possibly that is not the original posters problem; who knows from the emails.
I see from the picture that you have a jumper instead of the thermocouple. What did that do? Is the red LED on the recall box still on? Have you tried resetting the recall box with a magnet? Is the thermocouple still attached to the burner stack (chimney)?

I removed my recall box and it would fail with no input sitting on my bench when power was applied. I have drawn a schematic of the circuit board and identified the components. Unfortunately, one is a micro processor and I have no way to determine the program it runs so it sits in the "dead letter file".
My solution:
The thermocouple is a K type so I purchased a TC controller from eBay for a bout $10. In heating mode it closes a relay until the set point is reached and the range is up to 500C. I found a patent document for Norcold that talks of a unit similar to the recall box and the limit is set at 430F, about 221C and that is what I set my controller to.
As long as the chimney is below the set point as measured by the TC, the relay stays closed and completes the safety circuit which is the same thing the Norcold box did.
If it tripped by exceeding the set point, my control would turn on again which I did not want so I added a relay with a holding circuit so you can only start the circuit by pushing a button. A dual color LED I added confirms the status, Red for power and ready to run, green for running.
I mounted my system in the panel under the refrigerator in my Journey; a picture of it running is attached. This way I can keep an eye on the temps when we are in the coach.
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

Jim
It just keeps getting better... now the manufacturer's are added to the list of the negligent and incompetent.
https://safaritoonces.org On August 5, 2019 5:23:15 AM "James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends]" Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:  
Robert,
A picture would have saved a lot of time. This is a Norcold recall fix that DOES NOT WORK for very long after it is installed and is non repairable.
Around here the dealers will not touch it because Norcold won't pay much and won't stand behind it.
Now, the good news. I had the same recall done on my Norcold 1210 in my Journey. After it died, I put it back to original and ran one trip that way with no problem. I then devised an alternate control.
Interested?
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID
  Patrick
My fridge failed in a similar way and it was the factory recall add-on board. John helped me verify the problem by bypassing the board with a jumper on the board input. I cannot run the fridge this way because there is no thermal feed back for the exhaust stack and posses a serious fire risk, but you can verify and see if this is the problem.
 I've attached a picture but I'm not sure if it will get through the mail system.
On August 4, 2019 6:18:47 PM agin.patrick@...[Safarifriends] Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:  
Thanks to all of you Robert, Gary, Marc, Craig and Mel ! I slowly opened the propane valve, I succeeded in opening the stove, I have also hot water now but the check light of the fridge is still there. I opened the outside door of the fridge but don't see anything like a T valve. I tried to join a picture but don't see how with my phone.
Patrick
Sahara 96

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Jim

I went out and looked and you are right it is clearly marked T/C. I think shorting the wires put the T/C value read by the micro below the setpoint. Looks like they didn't do much of a job on validating the T/C operation at boot time. All the interlocking wires are on the Norcold recall add-on board.

What happened was the red light on the add-on board came on and would not reset, the ignitor and propane flow were shutoff. I tried all the usual power off, using a magnet and so on, finally shorting the two leads got rid of the fault condition so I assumed the board was bad. I called Norcold numerous times and wrote emails... no response. With this level of uncertainty I have decided I don't want the fridge unless the whole condensor system is changed out and I don't want propane. I don't have any confidence in something this poorly designed and maintained... just my personal anxieties I guess.

Thanks for following this thru and helping with my understanding.

Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends] wrote on 8/5/2019 1:46 PM:

Robert,
I am talking about the orange wire connecting two pins in the black connector at the center of the board. That is the connection point for the thermocouple, one lead being yellow, the other red. I can see the yellow label and it should have a T/C label near the socket.

I understand the function of the recall add on but without any excess events, mine and many others just died. The internet is full of stories.
The idea was to monitor the stack temp and shut down before it could cause a fire. Instead of a simple temp control, they got cute with a if/then program running in a micro processor and somewhere in that string, it failed.
Jim Exler

Jim

Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

Robert,

My solution:
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

Jim
Robert,
Interested?
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID
  Patrick
Patrick
Sahara 96

'
James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'

Robert,

One more piece of info for you.

The +12 in and +12 out connections are connected to the normally open contacts of the relay on the board. When the circuit is operating properly, the relay is energized and those contacts are closed providing a path for the +12 to get to the Norcold main
board. The red LED should be out.

The recall board gets its power from the +12 in and ground connections.

If you jump those, you should be able to run the refrigerator.

Jim Exler

On 8/5/2019 10:40 PM, robert lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Jim

I went out and looked and you are right it is clearly marked T/C. I think shorting the wires put the T/C value read by the micro below the setpoint. Looks like they didn't do much of a job on validating the T/C operation at boot time. All the interlocking wires
are on the Norcold recall add-on board.

What happened was the red light on the add-on board came on and would not reset, the ignitor and propane flow were shutoff. I tried all the usual power off, using a magnet and so on, finally shorting the two leads got rid of the fault condition so I assumed
the board was bad. I called Norcold numerous times and wrote emails... no response. With this level of uncertainty I have decided I don't want the fridge unless the whole condensor system is changed out and I don't want propane. I don't have any confidence
in something this poorly designed and maintained... just my personal anxieties I guess.

Thanks for following this thru and helping with my understanding.

Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends] wrote on 8/5/2019 1:46 PM:

Robert,

I am talking about the orange wire connecting two pins in the black connector at the center of the board. That is the connection point for the thermocouple, one lead being yellow, the other red. I can see the yellow label and it should have a T/C label near
the socket.

Jim Exler

Jim

The jumper completed the circuit provided by the add on board. I am assuming that the thermocouple on the exhaust stack was monitored by the add on board and when below the setpoint (ie. system off, or in range) the interlock was completed allowing the remaining
start sequence or run operation to function. Again my assumption: the add-on board with the micro monitored fail and other fault conditions and provided the above interlock signal. I just bypassed the board with all the checks with the jumper gave a good interlock,
therefore not a way to run the fidge, just a troubleshooting operation. John helped me troubleshoot and understand the operation.

That is a clever design you did and I think I understand I used a PID controller similar to yours, for controlling additional cooling fans for my inverter in the power bay. What I don't understand is why the stack would reach excessive temperatures... is this
a run away condition and if so what would cause that?

I haven't tried this yet, but was going to look at what the current draw would be on the 120v operation and as an interim solution connect the fridge to the 120v inverter circuit and leave the whole propane system off for the fridge. Do you see any down side
to that? Thanks for the suggestions and heads up.

Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

Robert,

If you read your email that I responded to, nowhere did you mention Norcold; no one did or for that matter, where this mystery "red light" is located. When I saw your picture, I focused on that issue and possibly that is not the original posters problem;
who knows from the emails.

I removed my recall box and it would fail with no input sitting on my bench when power was applied. I have drawn a schematic of the circuit board and identified the components. Unfortunately, one is a micro processor and I have no way to determine the program
it runs so it sits in the "dead letter file".

My solution:

The thermocouple is a K type so I purchased a TC controller from eBay for a bout $10. In heating mode it closes a relay until the set point is reached and the range is up to 500C. I found a patent document for Norcold that talks of a unit similar to the
recall box and the limit is set at 430F, about 221C and that is what I set my controller to.

If it tripped by exceeding the set point, my control would turn on again which I did not want so I added a relay with a holding circuit so you can only start the circuit by pushing a button. A dual color LED I added confirms the status, Red for power and
ready to run, green for running.

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

Jim

Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

On August 5, 2019 5:23:15 AM "James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends]" Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Robert,

Interested?

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

Patrick

My fridge failed in a similar way and it was the factory recall add-on board. John helped me verify the problem by bypassing the board with a jumper on the board input. I cannot run the fridge this way because there is no thermal feed back for
the exhaust stack and posses a serious fire risk, but you can verify and see if this is the problem.

Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

On August 4, 2019 6:18:47 PM
agin.patrick@...[Safarifriends] Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Thanks to all of you Robert, Gary, Marc, Craig and Mel ! I slowly opened the propane valve, I succeeded in opening the stove, I have also hot water now but the check light of the fridge is still there. I opened the outside door of the fridge but don't see
anything like a T valve. I tried to join a picture but don't see how with my phone.
Patrick
Sahara 96

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'Robert, The Norcold 1200 is 23-1/2” deep once the draft box around the burner is snapped out.  Counter depth residential refrigerators appear to run just a smidgen under 25” deep with doors removed. On my mid entry model, it appears if I remove the door and frame, I expect I would have a 25” clear opening to facilitate a (tight) change out. 
The fire issue concerns me, mainly cause I may leave my dog in the unit for unoccupied times.  I have studied it appreciably, and am going though “upgrades” to minimize that risk, intend to publish the results upon completion.  As it is an exercise in applying multiple fire protection technologies, it will be an “overboard” solution consisting of a number of measures. I have written little about the fire risk to date as I have not found any hard data of the true number of instances.  I believe either heat source in a non regulated environment is capable of inducing temperature related stress failures to the boiler tube. I expect the propane provides a better ignition source if and when a boiler tube cracks (releasing refrigerant), however the metal sheathed heaters, under ideal non regulated circumstances, could reach 1,250 degrees F.  The systems devised by Jim and ARP provide a second line of over temperature regulation (control) to these units (the first degree of over temp control being provided the Norcold recall module and thermocouple). I do not want to excite this group unnecessarily if the risk is very small.  
I might have mentioned before I think the 1200 is an excellent candidate for a residential replacement due the functional opening left upon it removal.  If my cabinetry would not accommodate a standard refrigerator, my personnel choices would fall between a smaller “dorm room” size unit, or the mechanical compression retrofit cooling units.  I have read positive comments on other forums from those that have gone that route. v/r,
On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 2:05 AM Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Taylor 
Thank you very much for the information. There were a number of posts a few months ago on this issue and the safety concerns. I've seen a lot of burned-out units in the salvage yards and without going over all the points posted before, this is a major concern to me. We had a fire in fifth wheel in that area. 
I ideally wanted to eliminate the propane fridge entirely but I didn't understand that we could have the same problem using just the electric system. Is this because the electric system works the same as propane in that it heats the sodium? If that's true then the issue is still there whether on propane or electricity. 
The system with John pointed out replaces the entire sodium condenser system with a 12 volt low power alternative but it's about $1000. It's almost worth just changing the whole fridge out at that price point . A major problem is getting the old fridge out and the new one in... I'm not sure how that would be done except through the front window. If you or others have knowledge on this please share.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
On August 5, 2019 5:25:36 PM "W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Robert,You are correct in your assumptions of the Norcold recall module.  On early models it wires inline with the coach power supply to the fridge controller, and when tripped, the whole fridge is dead. 
The exact concern is not flue temperature, but boiler tube temperature.  When the refrigerator is off level (>3 degrees), the gravity flow of the condensed refrigerant to the boiler tube can be used be interrupted.  Once all the accumulated liquid refrigerant in the boiler tube has flashed off to gas, there is no medium left in the boiler tube to absorb heat, except to superheat the remaining gas (which has very minimal thermal transfer when compared to a liquid to gas phase change).
There is a snap type thermal switch at the very top on the boiler tube which closes around 115 degrees F to activate the two “pancake” fans atop the condenser coils.  This switch and fans are intended to help improve refrigerator performance in hot summer ambient conditions and does not assist in cooling the boiler tube during “dry firing” conditions. 
Before installation of the recall thermal limiter, there was nothing to limit heat input to boiler tube during interruption of condensate flow.  If the coach/camper remained off level long enough, the “dry” boiler tube could reach 800 degrees F, potentially inducing temperature related stresses.  The problem can occur regardless of mode of operation (gas or electric).. Obviously if the boiler tube cracks and leaks while firing in the gas mode,  there is a present ignition source to ignite the combustible ammonia gas (ignition point of 1,204 degrees F).   Ammonia which has leaked from a cracked boiler tube is said to leave a yellow residue behind. Regardless, due to the sensitive nature of the refrigerant charge in an absorption cooling system, any refrigerant leak will result in appreciable deterioration of system performance. 

Those of us that are experimenting with installing fans in our flue spaces and/or at the refrigerator evaporator are attempting to improve cooling performance.  Also note that Norcold requires that when flue spaces are more than an inch deeper than the condenser coils (more than an inch of clearance), baffles should be installed in the flue closing this gap (so as to cause most of the convective air flow in the flue to pass over the condensing coils).  SMC certainly missed the boat on this as far as my coach is concerned. 
When comparing costs of the “Amish heavy walled boiler tube” units, or the 12 compressor based cooling units, remember residential refrigerators can be found that size wise fit the 1200 opening. If you have a 2,000 watt sine wave inverter, you should be good to go except for boon docking, where a cycling generator or a fair amount of solar power is needed. Per the forums, most people that install residential refrigerators never look back. v/r,

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 4:34 PM robert lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Jim

Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

Robert,

My solution:
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

Jim
Robert,
Interested?
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID
  Patrick
Patrick
Sahara 96

'
TD

Post by TD »

'Taylor,

Regarding the fire issue. Jim's system and/or the ARP is the key, and
first line of defense. The Norcold "fix" is a joke/scam, as it only
shuts down the system when temps reach 800 degrees, which is too late.
At those temps the system can and has failed. While Jim's and ARP's
units limit it to around 400 degrees, which is no where near a stress
point, meaning, with those systems working properly, there is no
stress to burst the boiler and ignite the escaping gas. I have yet to
hear of a refrigerator fire with and ARP system installed. So, the
norcold fix is not a first line of defense, it is a questionable last
line of defense, in case for some rare unusual reason the ARP fails to
shut the unit down.

Another thing to note. As great as residential refrigerators may seem,
they are not at all friendly for boondocking. The new units draw much
less power, but run for a much longer duration, as in almost all the
time. I was recently boondocking with a friend and it was his first
time boondocking, a trial, so to speak. Since he had a residential
refrigerator, I plugged his refrigerator into my coach, because I have
solar and he doesn't and also his inverter is a modified sign wave,
and some residential units don't like modified sign wave power. I
monitored that refrigerator on my shunt based battery meter. That unit
drew about 35 amps on start up and slowly would level out at about 8
or 9 amps, coupled with normal fairly conservative use of power for
daily living needs in the evening, the combined usage was 180+ amp/hrs
overnight. My usable amp/hr capacity is 260 amp/hrs (520 amp/hrs
total), so the load was using about 69% of my usable capacity. So, a
person who wants to boondock with a residential refrigerator, using
solar, needs a substantial battery bank, likley lithium batteries. And
a substantial solar array to keep the bank charged, especially in the
winter months when the sun is low and the day is very short. Anything
short of that would require using a noisy generator, most likely on a
daily bases, which defeats the purpose of silent solar power. So, that
is some info to think about for the ones wanting/hoping to boondock a
lot.
That said, if one has a very well insulated refrigerator, they could
opt to put the refrigerator on a time, to limit the on cycles and/or
to keep it off all night. This would help, but still be a significant
draw during the day, when it is rainy/cloudy...

On a funny note, it was entertaining, seeing people scratching their
heads looking at my heavy duty extension cord connected to my friends
coach. Over all, my system handled the extra load very well, for the
short term. Obviously having the summer sun was a big plus.

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, Cummins C8.3-300, Allison
6spd

On 8/6/19, W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> Robert,
> The Norcold 1200 is 23-1/2” deep once the draft box around the burner is
> snapped out. Counter depth residential refrigerators appear to run just a
> smidgen under 25” deep with doors removed. On my mid entry model, it
> appears if I remove the door and frame, I expect I would have a 25” clear
> opening to facilitate a (tight) change out.
>
> The fire issue concerns me, mainly cause I may leave my dog in the unit for
> unoccupied times. I have studied it appreciably, and am going though
> “upgrades” to minimize that risk, intend to publish the results upon
> completion. As it is an exercise in applying multiple fire protection
> technologies, it will be an “overboard” solution consisting of a number of
> measures. I have written little about the fire risk to date as I have not
> found any hard data of the true number of instances. I believe either heat
> source in a non regulated environment is capable of inducing temperature
> related stress failures to the boiler tube. I expect the propane provides a
> better ignition source if and when a boiler tube cracks (releasing
> refrigerant), however the metal sheathed heaters, under ideal non regulated
> circumstances, could reach 1,250 degrees F. The systems devised by Jim and
> ARP provide a second line of over temperature regulation (control) to these
> units (the first degree of over temp control being provided the Norcold
> recall module and thermocouple). I do not want to excite this group
> unnecessarily if the risk is very small.
>
> I might have mentioned before I think the 1200 is an excellent candidate
> for a residential replacement due the functional opening left upon it
> removal. If my cabinetry would not accommodate a standard refrigerator, my
> personnel choices would fall between a smaller “dorm room” size unit, or
> the mechanical compression retrofit cooling units. I have read positive
> comments on other forums from those that have gone that route.
> v/r,
>
> Taylor Hudson
> ‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126
> acquired 2018
>
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 2:05 AM Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@...
> [Safarifriends] wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Taylor
>>
>> Thank you very much for the information. There were a number of posts a
>> few months ago on this issue and the safety concerns. I've seen a lot of
>> burned-out units in the salvage yards and without going over all the
>> points
>> posted before, this is a major concern to me. We had a fire in fifth
>> wheel
>> in that area.
>>
>> I ideally wanted to eliminate the propane fridge entirely but I didn't
>> understand that we could have the same problem using just the electric
>> system. Is this because the electric system works the same as propane in
>> that it heats the sodium? If that's true then the issue is still there
>> whether on propane or electricity.
>>
>> The system with John pointed out replaces the entire sodium condenser
>> system with a 12 volt low power alternative but it's about $1000. It's
>> almost worth just changing the whole fridge out at that price point . A
>> major problem is getting the old fridge out and the new one in... I'm not
>> sure how that would be done except through the front window. If you or
>> others have knowledge on this please share.
>>
>> Again thank you for the information and clarification.
>>
>> Robert and Bev Lewis
>> 2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
>> 3126B Cat, 330hp
>> MD3060 Allison
>>
>> https://safaritoonces.org
>>
>> On August 5, 2019 5:25:36 PM "W Taylor Hudson fpengr@...
>> [Safarifriends]" wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Robert,
>>> You are correct in your assumptions of the Norcold recall module. On
>>> early models it wires inline with the coach power supply to the fridge
>>> controller, and when tripped, the whole fridge is dead.
>>>
>>> The exact concern is not flue temperature, but boiler tube temperature.
>>> When the refrigerator is off level (>3 degrees), the gravity flow of the
>>> condensed refrigerant to the boiler tube can be used be interrupted.
>>> Once
>>> all the accumulated liquid refrigerant in the boiler tube has flashed
>>> off
>>> to gas, there is no medium left in the boiler tube to absorb heat,
>>> except
>>> to superheat the remaining gas (which has very minimal thermal transfer
>>> when compared to a liquid to gas phase change).
>>>
>>> There is a snap type thermal switch at the very top on the boiler tube
>>> which closes around 115 degrees F to activate the two “pancake” fans
>>> atop
>>> the condenser coils. This switch and fans are intended to help improve
>>> refrigerator performance in hot summer ambient conditions and does not
>>> assist in cooling the boiler tube during “dry firing” conditions.
>>>
>>> Before installation of the recall thermal limiter, there was nothing to
>>> limit heat input to boiler tube during interruption of condensate flow.
>>> If
>>> the coach/camper remained off level long enough, the “dry” boiler tube
>>> could reach 800 degrees F, potentially inducing temperature related
>>> stresses. The problem can occur regardless of mode of operation (gas or
>>> electric).. Obviously if the boiler tube cracks and leaks while firing
>>> in
>>> the gas mode, there is a present ignition source to ignite the
>>> combustible
>>> ammonia gas (ignition point of 1,204 degrees F). Ammonia which has
>>> leaked
>>> from a cracked boiler tube is said to leave a yellow residue behind.
>>> Regardless, due to the sensitive nature of the refrigerant charge in an
>>> absorption cooling system, any refrigerant leak will result in
>>> appreciable
>>> deterioration of system performance.
>>>
>>
>>> Those of us that are experimenting with installing fans in our flue
>>> spaces and/or at the refrigerator evaporator are attempting to improve
>>> cooling performance. Also note that Norcold requires that when flue
>>> spaces
>>> are more than an inch deeper than the condenser coils (more than an inch
>>> of
>>> clearance), baffles should be installed in the flue closing this gap (so
>>> as
>>> to cause most of the convective air flow in the flue to pass over the
>>> condensing coils). SMC certainly missed the boat on this as far as my
>>> coach is concerned.
>>>
>>> When comparing costs of the “Amish heavy walled boiler tube” units, or
>>> the 12 compressor based cooling units, remember residential
>>> refrigerators
>>> can be found that size wise fit the 1200 opening. If you have a 2,000
>>> watt
>>> sine wave inverter, you should be good to go except for boon docking,
>>> where
>>> a cycling generator or a fair amount of solar power is needed. Per the
>>> forums, most people that install residential refrigerators never look
>>> back.
>>> v/r,
>>>
>>> Taylor Hudson
>>> ‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126
>>> acquired 2018
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 4:34 PM robert lewis robert.lewis.tl@...
>>> [Safarifriends] wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Jim
>>>>
>>>> The jumper completed the circuit provided by the add on board. I am
>>>> assuming that the thermocouple on the exhaust stack was monitored by
>>>> the
>>>> add on board and when below the setpoint (ie. system off, or in range)
>>>> the
>>>> interlock was completed allowing the remaining start sequence or run
>>>> operation to function. Again my assumption: the add-on board with the
>>>> micro
>>>> monitored fail and other fault conditions and provided the above
>>>> interlock
>>>> signal. I just bypassed the board with all the checks with the jumper
>>>> gave
>>>> a good interlock, therefore not a way to run the fidge, just a
>>>> troubleshooting operation. John helped me troubleshoot and understand
>>>> the
>>>> operation.
>>>>
>>>> Yes I tried the magnet and no luck it would not reset.
>>>>
>>>> That is a clever design you did and I think I understand I used a PID
>>>> controller similar to yours, for controlling additional cooling fans for
>>>> my
>>>> inverter in the power bay. What I don't understand is why the stack
>>>> would
>>>> reach excessive temperatures... is this a run away condition and if so
>>>> what
>>>> would cause that?
>>>>
>>>> What I would like to do if money where not an object and it seems to be
>>>> right now... is to replace the whole propane system with the low
>>>> current
>>>> 12v compressor alternative John mentioned.
>>>>
>>>> I haven't tried this yet, but was going to look at what the current
>>>> draw
>>>> would be on the 120v operation and as an interim solution connect the
>>>> fridge to the 120v inverter circuit and leave the whole propane system
>>>> off
>>>> for the fridge. Do you see any down side to that? Thanks for the
>>>> suggestions and heads up.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Robert and Bev Lewis
>>>> 2000 Safari Continental, 2017 - present
>>>> 3126B Cat, 330hp
>>>> MD3060 Allison
>>>>
>>>> https://safaritoonces.org
>>>>
>>>> James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends] wrote on 8/5/2019
>>>> 12:12 PM:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Robert,
>>>>
>>>> Yes the picture came through; that is how i knew you were talking about
>>>> the Norcold recall.
>>>>
>>>> If you read your email that I responded to, nowhere did you mention
>>>> Norcold; no one did or for that matter, where this mystery "red light"
>>>> is
>>>> located. When I saw your picture, I focused on that issue and possibly
>>>> that
>>>> is not the original posters problem; who knows from the emails.
>>>>
>>>> I see from the picture that you have a jumper instead of the
>>>> thermocouple. What did that do? Is the red LED on the recall box still
>>>> on?
>>>> Have you tried resetting the recall box with a magnet? Is the
>>>> thermocouple
>>>> still attached to the burner stack (chimney)?
>>>>
>>>> I removed my recall box and it would fail with no input sitting on my
>>>> bench when power was applied. I have drawn a schematic of the circuit
>>>> board
>>>> and identified the components. Unfortunately, one is a micro processor
>>>> and
>>>> I have no way to determine the program it runs so it sits in the "dead
>>>> letter file".
>>>>
>>>> My solution:
>>>>
>>>> The thermocouple is a K type so I purchased a TC controller from eBay
>>>> for a bout $10. In heating mode it closes a relay until the set point
>>>> is
>>>> reached and the range is up to 500C. I found a patent document for
>>>> Norcold
>>>> that talks of a unit similar to the recall box and the limit is set at
>>>> 430F, about 221C and that is what I set my controller to.
>>>>
>>>> As long as the chimney is below the set point as measured by the TC,
>>>> the
>>>> relay stays closed and completes the safety circuit which is the same
>>>> thing
>>>> the Norcold box did.
>>>>
>>>> If it tripped by exceeding the set point, my control would turn on
>>>> again
>>>> which I did not want so I added a relay with a holding circuit so you
>>>> can
>>>> only start the circuit by pushing a button. A dual color LED I added
>>>> confirms the status, Red for power and ready to run, green for running.
>>>>
>>>> I mounted my system in the panel under the refrigerator in my Journey;
>>>> a
>>>> picture of it running is attached. This way I can keep an eye on the
>>>> temps
>>>> when we are in the coach.
>>>>
>>>> Jim Exler, Nampa, ID
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 8/5/2019 11:33 AM, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@...
>>>> [Safarifriends] wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Jim
>>>>
>>>> It just keeps getting better... now the manufacturer's are added to the
>>>> list of the negligent and incompetent.
>>>>
>>>> I don't understand about the picture, did my picture not come thru?
>>>>
>>>> Yes I would appreciate a fix for this. Thank you.
>>>>
>>>> Robert and Bev Lewis
>>>> 2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
>>>> 3126B Cat, 330hp
>>>> MD3060 Allison
>>>>
>>>> https://safaritoonces.org
>>>>
>>>> On August 5, 2019 5:23:15 AM "James Exler jimxexler@...
>>>> [Safarifriends]"
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Robert,
>>>>>
>>>>> To put it mildly, "Norcold has had their way with you".
>>>>>
>>>>> A picture would have saved a lot of time. This is a Norcold recall fix
>>>>> that DOES NOT WORK for very long after it is installed and is non
>>>>> repairable.
>>>>>
>>>>> Around here the dealers will not touch it because Norcold won't pay
>>>>> much and won't stand behind it.
>>>>>
>>>>> Now, the good news. I had the same recall done on my Norcold 1210 in
>>>>> my
>>>>> Journey. After it died, I put it back to original and ran one trip that
>>>>> way
>>>>> with no problem. I then devised an alternate control.
>>>>>
>>>>> Interested?
>>>>>
>>>>> Jim Exler, Nampa, ID
>>>>> On 8/4/2019 7:52 PM, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@...
>>>>> [Safarifriends] wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Patrick
>>>>>
>>>>> My fridge failed in a similar way and it was the factory recall add-on
>>>>> board. John helped me verify the problem by bypassing the board with a
>>>>> jumper on the board input. I cannot run the fridge this way because
>>>>> there
>>>>> is no thermal feed back for the exhaust stack and posses a serious
>>>>> fire
>>>>> risk, but you can verify and see if this is the problem.
>>>>>
>>>>> I've attached a picture but I'm not sure if it will get through the
>>>>> mail system.
>>>>>
>>>>> Robert and Bev Lewis
>>>>> 2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
>>>>> 3126B Cat, 330hp
>>>>> MD3060 Allison
>>>>>
>>>>> https://safaritoonces.org
>>>>>
>>>>> On August 4, 2019 6:18:47 PM "agin.patrick@... [Safarifriends]"
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks to all of you Robert, Gary, Marc, Craig and Mel ! I slowly
>>>>>> opened the propane valve, I succeeded in opening the stove, I have
>>>>>> also hot
>>>>>> water now but the check light of the fridge is still there. I opened
>>>>>> the
>>>>>> outside door of the fridge but don't see anything like a T valve. I
>>>>>> tried
>>>>>> to join a picture but don't see how with my phone.
>>>>>> Thanks again for your help
>>>>>> Patrick
>>>>>> Sahara 96
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Virus-free.
>>>>> www.avg.com
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>
>
'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Robert, it can go out a side window as well. I took the junk Norcold stuff out and just use the ARP. It is less clutter as far as Iam concerned.
Bill Edwards1999 Panther

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
On Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 8:42 AM, W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Robert, The Norcold 1200 is 23-1/2” deep once the draft box around the burner is snapped out.  Counter depth residential refrigerators appear to run just a smidgen under 25” deep with doors removed. On my mid entry model, it appears if I remove the door and frame, I expect I would have a 25” clear opening to facilitate a (tight) change out. 
The fire issue concerns me, mainly cause I may leave my dog in the unit for unoccupied times.  I have studied it appreciably, and am going though “upgrades” to minimize that risk, intend to publish the results upon completion.  As it is an exercise in applying multiple fire protection technologies, it will be an “overboard” solution consisting of a number of measures. I have written little about the fire risk to date as I have not found any hard data of the true number of instances.  I believe either heat source in a non regulated environment is capable of inducing temperature related stress failures to the boiler tube. I expect the propane provides a better ignition source if and when a boiler tube cracks (releasing refrigerant), however the metal sheathed heaters, under ideal non regulated circumstances, could reach 1,250 degrees F.  The systems devised by Jim and ARP provide a second line of over temperature regulation (control) to these units (the first degree of over temp control being provided the Norcold recall module and thermocouple). I do not want to excite this group unnecessarily if the risk is very small.  
I might have mentioned before I think the 1200 is an excellent candidate for a residential replacement due the functional opening left upon it removal.  If my cabinetry would not accommodate a standard refrigerator, my personnel choices would fall between a smaller “dorm room” size unit, or the mechanical compression retrofit cooling units.  I have read positive comments on other forums from those that have gone that route. v/r,
On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 2:05 AM Robert Lewis robert..lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Taylor 

Jim

Robert and Bev Lewis
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

Robert,

My solution:
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

Jim
Robert,
Interested?
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID
  Patrick
Patrick
Sahara 96

'
f6d6b1a70c7d71aca7e088aba6515c97

Post by f6d6b1a70c7d71aca7e088aba6515c97 »

'I'm asking your help again for my refrigerator troubleshooting. So I did a few things that could help to diagnose the problem. First I tried the fridge on shore power : it works. I also did what Mel suggested: remove the fridge fuse and put it again in place. I also removed the metal cover so I can see if there is spark or not when I put the fridge switch on GAS. Result: there is a small spark. In my understanding it shows that igniter is ok.

It seems that the problem is no gas input, am I right? So my questions ate: how can I test the line? is it possible that I have air in the line and if yes how can I get rid of it? (btw my stove is working)

Thank you again for your help
Patrick
Sahara 96
refrigerator Norcold'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

'Attachments : PatrickWhat I did was to jumper the Thermocouple, and it started. But it can not be run with the sensor bypassed. What this valudates are the ignitor, control board on the fridge, and propane, flow/valve shut off. Here is a picture... I posted a picture before in this thread. Try using a paper clip or wire as per the orange wire, top left corner above the yellow label, in my picture. Then you will determine the above validations, just don't run the fridge beyond the testing.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpAllison MD3060

On August 11, 2019 9:47:32 AM "agin.patrick@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
I'm asking your help again for my refrigerator troubleshooting. So I did a few things that could help to diagnose the problem. First I tried the fridge on shore power : it works. I also did what Mel suggested: remove the fridge fuse and put it again in place. I also removed the metal cover so I can see if there is spark or not when I put the fridge switch on GAS. Result: there is a small spark. In my understanding it shows that igniter is ok.

It seems that the problem is no gas input, am I right? So my questions ate: how can I test the line? is it possible that I have air in the line and if yes how can I get rid of it? (btw my stove is working)

Patrick
Sahara 96
refrigerator Norcold

'
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'Patrick,a) remove the refrigerator access from the exterior of the coach. b) would find a wrench (preferably flare nut type if you have it) that fits the gas line fitting at the refrigerator shut off valve, and one that engages the body of the gas valve so when loosening you are pulling against yourself. While you are at the valve, verify it is open, handle parallel to the gas line (normally horizontal on Norcold 1200).c) Turn off the vapor gas valve at your tank, and all power, AC and DC (at the “salesman switch) to the coach to minimize the chance of sparks in the following steps.  Ensure there are no other ignition sources within 50’ of your work site. d) with both wrenches engaged either squeeze them together, or turn the fuel line nut counterclockwise while holding like clockwise pressure on the wrench on the valve body to break it loose.  Upon breaking it loose, snug it back up.  e) if you have help, get that person to open the vapor outlet valve on the propane tank.  Otherwise do it yourself. f) loosen the tubing nut about half a turn and listen for gas hissing.  Leave it open for a few seconds till you smell propane  gas (actually it’s oderent), then snug the gas line nut closed.  The line should be bleed free of air now. Tighten the pipe nut tight. g) dribble or spray some detergent or glass cleaner on the pipe connection you just broke and remade.  No bubbles or smell indicates that connection is leak free.  h) after the vented propane has dissipated from the refrigerator flue area and the interior of your coach, you can restore electrical power and attempt to operate the refrigerator on LP.I) if you never could vent any gas is step f you apparently have a fuel quantity, regulator, valve, or obstructed line challenge. j) if you are not comfortable with this procedure, take your unit to a shop that has a person qualified to work on propane appliances. v/r
On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 12:47 PM agin.patrick@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I'm asking your help again for my refrigerator troubleshooting. So I did a few things that could help to diagnose the problem. First I tried the fridge on shore power : it works. I also did what Mel suggested: remove the fridge fuse and put it again in place. I also removed the metal cover so I can see if there is spark or not when I put the fridge switch on GAS. Result: there is a small spark. In my understanding it shows that igniter is ok.

Patrick
Sahara 96
refrigerator Norcold
'