Re: Digest Number 5769

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Joe George

Re: Digest Number 5769

Post by Joe George »

' Thanks to all for the troubleshooting suggestions.  I have tried the tapping the gauge to see if the needle was stuck...no luck.   Will try checking the ground next.  Unfortunately the DW and I were heading out for a 3 day trip and I lost turbo.  So now my priorities have changed.  I will be learning how to replace the turbo for now.  Will get back to the fuel gauge issue after the season ends here in Utah (November?)
On Friday, August 2, 2019, 07:21:18 PM MDT, wrote:

Image To promote the exchange of information regarding SAFARI MOTORHOMES. Group 12 Messages Digest #5769 1a engine stumble on startup by "Joe Burch" burch1945 1b Re: engine stumble on startup by "James Exler" jimexler 2a Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly by jumpnjoe59 2b Re: Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly by "burch1945" burch1945 2c Re: Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly by "bilmac36" bilmac36 2d Re: Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly by "Rollin'" ondaflore 3a Re: Invaluable Information (was:Signing off from our emails). by mel96safari 3b Re: Invaluable Information (was:Signing off from our emails). by "Mark Cushman" chvet73 4a Toad, Dingy, ‘00 Chevy 1500, 4x4 by "bilmac36" bilmac36 4b Re: [Safarifriends] Toad, Dingy, ‘00 Chevy 1500, 4x4 by "Gary Smith" 5a no power to my ignition switch by technolog1 5b Re: no power to my ignition switch by "TD" sdjhtm
Messages 1a engine stumble on startup Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:53 am (PDT) . Posted by: burch1945@...?subject=Re%3A%20engine%20stumble%20on%20startup If I do not start my cat engine in 3 or 4 weeks or more, the engine will stumble , run rough, for 3 or 4 seconds upon start up unless I pump the manual fuel pump.  The fuel is clean and the filters are good/clean.   Is there a check valve or seal somewhere that I need to replace??
regards,Joe Burch1996 Sahara3126 CatSt Augustine, Fl burch1945@...?subject=Re%3A%20engine%20stumble%20on%20startup . Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20engine%20stumble%20on%20startup . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (2) . Top ^ 1b Re: engine stumble on startup Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:11 am (PDT) . Posted by: jimxexler@...?subject=Re%3A%20engine%20stumble%20on%20startup Joe,

Attached is a PDF on the HEUI fuel system. This gives a very good explanation of the workings of the components.

Two check valves combine to maintain a fuel supply in the fuel supply rail drilled in the head.

One is in the transfer pump and the other is at the rear of the head and maintains a constant pressure on the fuel rail. Each is there to prevent fuel from draining back to the tank.

This is only a guess but if the rail drains, it could take a few seconds to pressurize it.

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

On 8/2/2019 5:53 AM, Joe Burch burch1945@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

If I do not start my cat engine in 3 or 4 weeks or more, the engine will stumble , run rough, for 3 or 4 seconds upon start up unless I pump the manual fuel pump. The fuel is clean and the filters are good/clean. Is there a check valve or seal somewhere that I need to replace??

regards,
Joe Burch
1996 Sahara
3126 Cat
St Augustine, Fl

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/i ... avg-v1.png] Virus-free. www.avg..com
jimxexler@...?subject=Re%3A%20engine%20stumble%20on%20startup . Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20engine%20stumble%20on%20startup . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (2) . Top ^ 2a Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:06 am (PDT) . Posted by: jumpnjoe59@yahoo..com?subject=Re%3A%20Fuel%20Gauge%20Reading%20Incorrectly Last week my fuel gauge went from working to now the needle goes hard right (last full). I have searched Google and found what appears to be good direction https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuse ... t/true.cfm . My issue is I can't find the sending unit wire. I follow the diesel supply to a large tank under the front of the RV.. Crawled around underneath and have been unsuccessful in finding any wiring. Believe I should be checking for an open circuit just can't find the wiring to check. If it is the sending unit...does the tank need to be dropped? Does anyone know the part number?

Joe, 1997 Sahara 3550, 3126b, 6 spd Ally jumpnjoe59@...?subject=Re%3A%20Fuel%20Gauge%20Reading%20Incorrectly . Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Fuel%20Gauge%20Reading%20Incorrectly . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (4) . Top ^ 2b Re: Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:29 am (PDT) . Posted by: burch1945@...?subject=Re%3A%20Fuel%20Gauge%20Reading%20Incorrectly Joe, I have a 1996 Sahara and in order to get to the sending unit it is necessary to drop the tank. At least it was on mine. It's a pain in the butt and you need to get someone to help you. you cannot do it by yourself. It took 2 of us all day long to drain the tank, install a new sending unit, install a new gauge and put about 55 gallons of diesel fuel back into the tank. If you need to call me to discuss it please call (904) 318-7714 and I'll help you if I can. Joe Burch 1996 sahara, 3126 catSent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8.
-------- Original message --------From: "jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 8/2/19 10:01 AM (GMT-05:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Safarifriends] Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly

Last week my fuel gauge went from working to now the needle goes hard right (last full). I have searched Google and found what appears to be good direction https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuse ... t/true.cfm . My issue is I can't find the sending unit wire. I follow the diesel supply to a large tank under the front of the RV. Crawled around underneath and have been unsuccessful in finding any wiring. Believe I should be checking for an open circuit just can't find the wiring to check. If it is the sending unit...does the tank need to be dropped? Does anyone know the part number?

Joe, 1997 Sahara 3550, 3126b, 6 spd Ally

burch1945@...?subject=Re%3A%20Fuel%20Gauge%20Reading%20Incorrectly . Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Fuel%20Gauge%20Reading%20Incorrectly . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (4) . Top ^ 2c Re: Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:46 am (PDT) . Posted by: bilmac36@...?subject=Re%3A%20Fuel%20Gauge%20Reading%20Incorrectly Joe,
Due to a gauge issue I had on mine way back when I’m wondering have you been able to test the gauge? I’m assuming it is an analog gauge and not digital. If you have access to the back of the gauge then I would pull the leads (marking where they go) and test it first. Sounds as if it may be the easiest and quickest to ck. On my Continental one merely removes the back cover of the instrument cluster to gain access.

If you can gain access and once you remove the leads note what the gauge does. If memory serves correct a hard ground will send the analog gauges to far right. Pls double ck the web for testing analog gauges.’ But believe I am correct.

This should help identify if a faulty gauge.
R/
Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 2, 2019, at 10:29 AM, burch1945 burch1945@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
>
> Joe, I have a 1996 Sahara and in order to get to the sending unit it is necessary to drop the tank. At least it was on mine. It's a pain in the butt and you need to get someone to help you. you cannot do it by yourself. It took 2 of us all day long to drain the tank, install a new sending unit, install a new gauge and put about 55 gallons of diesel fuel back into the tank. If you need to call me to discuss it please call (904) 318-7714 and I'll help you if I can.
>
> Joe Burch
> 1996 sahara,
> 3126 cat
>
>
>
> Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8.
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: "jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends]"
> Date: 8/2/19 10:01 AM (GMT-05:00)
> To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Safarifriends] Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly
>
>
> Last week my fuel gauge went from working to now the needle goes hard right (last full). I have searched Google and found what appears to be good direction https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuse ... t/true.cfm . My issue is I can't find the sending unit wire. I follow the diesel supply to a large tank under the front of the RV. Crawled around underneath and have been unsuccessful in finding any wiring. Believe I should be checking for an open circuit just can't find the wiring to check. If it is the sending unit...does the tank need to be dropped? Does anyone know the part number?
>
> Joe, 1997 Sahara 3550, 3126b, 6 spd Ally
>
>
bilmac36@gmail..com?subject=Re%3A%20Fuel%20Gauge%20Reading%20Incorrectly . Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Fuel%20Gauge%20Reading%20Incorrectly . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (4) . Top ^ 2d Re: Fuel Gauge Reading Incorrectly Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:53 am (PDT) . Posted by: ondaflore@...?subject=Re%3A%20Fuel%20Gauge%20Reading%20Incorrectly Actually an open circuit will peg the gauge.  Long story short, I traced the line on my gauge when it pegged and showed continuity all the way to the sender.  I began to remove the gauge from the dash for further testing and the needle moved off of full++.  It was literally stuck.  Apparently if the gauge is reading below half a tank and you experience a momentary open circuit, the needle can move to "Full" violently enough to get stuck there.  Quick cure: try thumping the glass on the gauge to see if it pops loose.  Mine has pegged a couple of times since then and a quick thump did the trick.
On my 2001 Zanzibar, the sender is on the side of the tank on the driver's side.  There is a hole in the frame rail big enough to access the spade terminals on the sender.  If you run the front jack down and crawl under, you can ground the sender output and see if the gauge moves to "Empty" .  Ground the gauge with an alligator clip and get out from under there BEFORE you have a helper turn on the ignition and check the gauge.  You don't want them to lean out the window to give feedback and hit the "All Down" button on the jack control with their elbow while you are under there.  As me how I know...

Bob2001 ZHuntsville AL
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android ondaflore@...?subject=Re%3A%20Fuel%20Gauge%20Reading%20Incorrectly . Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Fuel%20Gauge%20Reading%20Incorrectly . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (4) . Top ^ 3a Re: Invaluable Information (was:Signing off from our emails). Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:41 am (PDT) . Posted by: stuplich@...?subject=Re%3A%20Invaluable%20Information%20%28was%3ASigning%20off%20from%20our%20emails%29%2E Mark

Because you have that "Cummings powered Ram and a Cat powered Safari", methinks you may have what is called the "best of both worlds", (aka: "a win-win").
:-)

Mel
'96 Safari

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

I’m really between a rock and a hard place on this. I have a Cummings powered Ram and a Cat powered Safari.

Mark
1999 Safari 32’

stuplich@gmail..com?subject=Re%3A%20Invaluable%20Information%20%28was%3ASigning%20off%20from%20our%20emails%29%2E . Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Invaluable%20Information%20%28was%3ASigning%20off%20from%20our%20emails%29%2E . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (22) . Top ^ 3b Re: Invaluable Information (was:Signing off from our emails). Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:21 am (PDT) . Posted by: chvet73@...?subject=Re%3A%20Invaluable%20Information%20%28was%3ASigning%20off%20from%20our%20emails%29%2E I can’t do anything but agree with that.

Mark
1999 Safari 32’
2014 Ram 4x4 Diesel

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 2, 2019, at 7:31 AM, stuplich@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
>
> Mark
> Because you have that "Cummings powered Ram and a Cat powered Safari", methinks you may have what is called the "best of both worlds", (aka: "a win-win").
> :-)
> Mel
> '96 Safari
>
>
> ---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :
>
> I’m really between a rock and a hard place on this. I have a Cummings powered Ram and a Cat powered Safari.
>
> Mark
> 1999 Safari 32’
>
>
>
chvet73@...?subject=Re%3A%20Invaluable%20Information%20%28was%3ASigning%20off%20from%20our%20emails%29%2E . Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Invaluable%20Information%20%28was%3ASigning%20off%20from%20our%20emails%29%2E . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (22) . Top ^

(Message over 64 KB, truncated)'