Re: Koni Shocks, Adjusting

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Bilmac36

Koni Shocks, Adjusting

Post by Bilmac36 »

'Gary, John,
I found your discussion back in October 2018 regarding the lack of thorough instructions from Koni explaining how to adjust the dampening on the Koni 88-1641SP3. They are bit different from adjusting the springs on my ol WaterBuffalo.
So I’m about to search YouTube noting what Gary had stated. But I don’t have the season tech rep to assist, so you two maybe can chime in with the down and dirty on how to adjust. The pix on the limited paper instructions sent appear to have the shock held in a vice and then pulling up and twisting.?? Then I’ve read where each of you noted to be cautious of over turning as there is a hard stop.
Oh masters of Koni kungfu please enlighten this grasshopper in all things Koni damping adjustments.

Appreciate it fellas!
R/Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd

Sent from my iPhone'
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'Willie, Here is their printed directions on adjustability, I presume our are the 88 series described in the second block.  I do recall they recommended full firm.  I might suggest spraying all the current shock absorber nuts and bolts with Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster a few hours before the fun begins. Happy wrench turning. 
http://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Technology/Adjustment-Guides/
v/r, Taylor Hudson‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126acquired 2018
On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 2:32 AM bilmac36 bilmac36@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Gary, John,
I found your discussion back in October 2018 regarding the lack of thorough instructions from Koni explaining how to adjust the dampening on the Koni 88-1641SP3. They are bit different from adjusting the springs on my ol WaterBuffalo.
So I’m about to search YouTube noting what Gary had stated. But I don’t have the season tech rep to assist, so you two maybe can chime in with the down and dirty on how to adjust. The pix on the limited paper instructions sent appear to have the shock held in a vice and then pulling up and twisting.?? Then I’ve read where each of you noted to be cautious of over turning as there is a hard stop.
Oh masters of Koni kungfu please enlighten this grasshopper in all things Koni damping adjustments.

Appreciate it fellas!
R/Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd

Sent from my iPhone
'
jimking361

Post by jimking361 »

'hi all, I just installed the 88 series, 1641 and 1458 on my home, the best instructions are in our files under koni shock . decompressing those brutes after doing the adjustment is hard. i installed the top, then pulled down using a breaker bar to get them to length to reach the bottom spline. plan on a test drive soon.  jim, 97 serengei 37 ft, cat 3126, Allison 6 spd. torsion bar suspension'