Re: Alternator sense wire (was:Replacing the isolator with boost sol

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com

Replacing the isolator with boost solenoid

Post by robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com »

'After tracing the center wire on the isolator as expected it went to the Alternator, but what is an expected is there's 12v at the alternator. There is a white wire from the alternator that I think is carrying this voltage. It seems to me that this will drain the coach batteries over time. With many wiring mistakes on this coach I'm not sure if this wire is even supposed to be there or where you goes.

On Jim's diagram there is no second wire from the alternator. I know there's been some discussion about a sense wire so I'm not sure if this is something that is supposed to be on this alternator or not. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

https://safaritoonces.org'
TD

Re: Replacing the isolator with boost solenoid

Post by TD »

'Which terminal/stud of the alternator is this wire connected to???
John
'95 Serengeti

On 8/20/19, robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> After tracing the center wire on the isolator as expected it went to the
> Alternator, but what is an expected is there's 12v at the alternator. There
> is a white wire from the alternator that I think is carrying this voltage.
> It seems to me that this will drain the coach batteries over time. With many
> wiring mistakes on this coach I'm not sure if this wire is even supposed to
> be there or where you goes.
>
> On Jim's diagram there is no second wire from the alternator. I know there's
> been some discussion about a sense wire so I'm not sure if this is something
> that is supposed to be on this alternator or not. Any advice would be
> appreciated. Thank you.
>
> Robert and Bev Lewis
> 2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
> 3126B Cat, 330hp
> MD3060 Allison
>
> https://safaritoonces.org
>
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: robert.lewis.tl@...
>
> Community email addresses:
> Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
> Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
> Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
> List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com
>
> Shortcut URL to this page:
> http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>
'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Hi John  I sent a reply to this but I don't see it in the posts so I'm not sure if it got through . 
I have two wires on the alternator, the main output wire which goes to the center point on the isolator and a small gauge white wire that I do not know where it goes . I can see if there is 12 volts on the white wire . These are the only wires on the alternator . This coach has always had a drain on the coach batteries . 
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
On August 20, 2019 1:57:48 PM "TD sdjhtm@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Which terminal/stud of the alternator is this wire connected to???
John
'95 Serengeti

wrote:
>
>
> Robert and Bev Lewis
> 3126B Cat, 330hp
> MD3060 Allison
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>

'
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'Robert,If it is a smaller wire of around 12-14 gauge, it is a voltage sense wire for the regulator in the back of the alternator.  If you trace it you should find it landed on or downstream of the old isolator’s chassis terminal battery post.  This was done as there could be upwards of a half volt of voltage drop across the diode in your old isolator. This could be the difference as to whether batteries are charged completely or to only 60% of capacity. By sensing the voltage after the diode, the regulator would see the half volt drop and increase the alternator’s output by half a volt to make up for the loss, ensuring the battery sets are charged to 100%.  If it is not landed on the battery isolator presently, it should already be in the proper place.  If it was on the isolators chassis terminal, I would put it on the “output” terminal of your new power relay. 
In vehicles without diode isolators, they are typically internally landed on the alternator’s output terminal providing the convenience of a “single wire” alternator.v/r,
Taylor Hudson‘98 Sahara Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126acquired 2018 
On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 4:57 PM TD sdjhtm@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

John
'95 Serengeti

wrote:
>
>
> Robert and Bev Lewis
> 3126B Cat, 330hp
> MD3060 Allison
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>
'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Taylor
I removed the isolator and am using the boost solenoid as a bridge between the house and chassis batteries for charging when engine is running. 
I think I understand what you're saying about the voltage drop difference that causes the batteries to reach full charge when there is an isolator in the circuit . 
What I don't understand is the white wire comes from the same terminal as the output heavy current wire for charging the battery banks. Is there a sensing circuit in the alternator output?. 
Now where should I hook the white wire... should it go to the 12v chassis battery which would be exactly the same connection point as the output of the alternator right now? 
Or do I just remove it . I don't think there is a separate regulator for this alternator that I can find.
There were just these two wires on the same alternator post.
Thanks for the help.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
On August 20, 2019 2:56:34 PM "W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Robert,If it is a smaller wire of around 12-14 gauge, it is a voltage sense wire for the regulator in the back of the alternator.  If you trace it you should find it landed on or downstream of the old isolator’s chassis terminal battery post.  This was done as there could be upwards of a half volt of voltage drop across the diode in your old isolator. This could be the difference as to whether batteries are charged completely or to only 60% of capacity. By sensing the voltage after the diode, the regulator would see the half volt drop and increase the alternator’s output by half a volt to make up for the loss, ensuring the battery sets are charged to 100%.  If it is not landed on the battery isolator presently, it should already be in the proper place.  If it was on the isolators chassis terminal, I would put it on the “output” terminal of your new power relay. 
In vehicles without diode isolators, they are typically internally landed on the alternator’s output terminal providing the convenience of a “single wire” alternator.v/r,

John
'95 Serengeti

wrote:
>
>
> Robert and Bev Lewis
> 3126B Cat, 330hp
> MD3060 Allison
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>

'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'RobertOn my '96 the only "small gauge wire" from  the Delco Remy 21SI alternator is connected to the "sense terminal" on the  voltage regulator, (internal to the alternator)... and it runs directly to a positive post on one of the chassis batteries.Mel '96
Sahara 250hp 3126 Cat

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Hi John  I sent a reply to this but I don't see it in the posts so I'm not sure if it got through . 
I have two wires on the alternator, the main output wire which goes to the center point on the isolator and a small gauge white wire that I do not know where it goes . I can see if there is 12 volts on the white wire . These are the only wires on the alternator . This coach has always had a drain on the coach batteries . 
'
W Taylor Hudson

'Robert,Just looked, did not see where my sense wire is landed.  It must be somewhere between the old battery isolator terminal and a positive terminal of our chassis batteries.  
Have attached a picture of the back of my alternator (Leece-Neville), the small red wire with the two bad splices are my alternator sense wire.  This replacement alternator came with a ring terminal on that wire that was landed on output terminal. 
On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 6:29 PM Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Taylor
I removed the isolator and am using the boost solenoid as a bridge between the house and chassis batteries for charging when engine is running. 
I think I understand what you're saying about the voltage drop difference that causes the batteries to reach full charge when there is an isolator in the circuit . 
What I don't understand is the white wire comes from the same terminal as the output heavy current wire for charging the battery banks. Is there a sensing circuit in the alternator output?. 
Now where should I hook the white wire... should it go to the 12v chassis battery which would be exactly the same connection point as the output of the alternator right now? 
Or do I just remove it .. I don't think there is a separate regulator for this alternator that I can find.
Thanks for the help.

On August 20, 2019 2:56:34 PM "W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Robert,If it is a smaller wire of around 12-14 gauge, it is a voltage sense wire for the regulator in the back of the alternator.  If you trace it you should find it landed on or downstream of the old isolator’s chassis terminal battery post.  This was done as there could be upwards of a half volt of voltage drop across the diode in your old isolator. This could be the difference as to whether batteries are charged completely or to only 60% of capacity. By sensing the voltage after the diode, the regulator would see the half volt drop and increase the alternator’s output by half a volt to make up for the loss, ensuring the battery sets are charged to 100%.  If it is not landed on the battery isolator presently, it should already be in the proper place.  If it was on the isolators chassis terminal, I would put it on the “output” terminal of your new power relay. 

John
'95 Serengeti

wrote:
>
>
> Robert and Bev Lewis
> 3126B Cat, 330hp
> MD3060 Allison
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>

'
W Taylor Hudson

'Attachments :[img]cid:16cb13a4c7039fa20591[/img]v/r,
Taylor Hudson‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126acquired 2018
On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 6:51 PM W Taylor Hudson wrote:
Robert,Just looked, did not see where my sense wire is landed.  It must be somewhere between the old battery isolator terminal and a positive terminal of our chassis batteries.  
Have attached a picture of the back of my alternator (Leece-Neville), the small red wire with the two bad splices are my alternator sense wire.  This replacement alternator came with a ring terminal on that wire that was landed on output terminal. 

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 6:29 PM Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Taylor
Or do I just remove it .. I don't think there is a separate regulator for this alternator that I can find.
Thanks for the help.

John
'95 Serengeti

wrote:
>
>
> Robert and Bev Lewis
> 3126B Cat, 330hp
> MD3060 Allison
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>

'
TD

Post by TD »

'Robert,

You didn't answer my question. What terminal on the alternator is this
wire connected to???

John
'95 Serengeti

On 8/20/19, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> Hi John
> I sent a reply to this but I don't see it in the posts so I'm not sure if
> it got through .
>
> I have two wires on the alternator, the main output wire which goes to the
> center point on the isolator and a small gauge white wire that I do not
> know where it goes . I can see if there is 12 volts on the white wire .
> These are the only wires on the alternator . This coach has always had a
> drain on the coach batteries .
>
>
> Robert and Bev Lewis
> 3126B Cat, 330hp
> MD3060 Allison
>
>
>
>
>
> On August 20, 2019 1:57:48 PM "TD sdjhtm@... [Safarifriends]"
> wrote:
>> Which terminal/stud of the alternator is this wire connected to???
>> John
>> '95 Serengeti
>>
>> On 8/20/19, robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends]
>> wrote:
>>> After tracing the center wire on the isolator as expected it went to the
>>> Alternator, but what is an expected is there's 12v at the alternator.
>>> There
>>> is a white wire from the alternator that I think is carrying this
>>> voltage.
>>> It seems to me that this will drain the coach batteries over time. With
>>> many
>>> wiring mistakes on this coach I'm not sure if this wire is even supposed
>>> to
>>> be there or where you goes.
>>>
>>> On Jim's diagram there is no second wire from the alternator. I know
>>> there's
>>> been some discussion about a sense wire so I'm not sure if this is
>>> something
>>> that is supposed to be on this alternator or not. Any advice would be
>>> appreciated. Thank you.
>>>
>>> Robert and Bev Lewis
>>> 2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
>>> 3126B Cat, 330hp
>>> MD3060 Allison
>>>
>>> https://safaritoonces.org
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------
>>> Posted by: robert.lewis.tl@...
>>>
>>> Community email addresses:
>>> Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
>>> Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
>>> Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
>>> List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com
>>>
>>> Shortcut URL to this page:
>>> http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends
>>>
>>> Yahoo Groups Links
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' thanks for the picture... I wonder if I have something wrong... I only have a single post with two wires. There is another post at the bottom with nothing on it and I thought this was a ground. I will post a picture in 2 hours when I get back.
On August 20, 2019 3:53:27 PM "W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
[img]cid:part8124.16cb14fbe28.27f5.0ddb1b3393c5a3d41cde63fb537456ba@...[/img]v/r,
Taylor Hudson‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126acquired 2018
On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 6:51 PM W Taylor Hudson wrote:
Robert,Just looked, did not see where my sense wire is landed.  It must be somewhere between the old battery isolator terminal and a positive terminal of our chassis batteries.  

Taylor
Thanks for the help.

John
'95 Serengeti

wrote:
>
>
> Robert and Bev Lewis
> 3126B Cat, 330hp