Re: My slide out problems bandaided.

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
7646ptrtcwo6o3ywrf6o4hn4hwtaar23ciq45kjz

My slide out problems bandaided.

Post by 7646ptrtcwo6o3ywrf6o4hn4hwtaar23ciq45kjz »

'When I was camped out, I was showing someone my rig and hit the button to close and nothing happened. So I was leaving in a few days and did some checking the rails and such. This rig is 20 years old and shows it's wear on the rails. They obviously needed lubrication so I was off to the local hardware store. I bought some white lithium spray and gave them a heavy dose. I also found the bar and where to attatch the appropriate socket, though I will be adding a breaker bar to my on board kit to make it easier in the future, but one thing I noticed is the slide would just come back out after doing it manually. I went back inside and tried the switch again and very slowly it came in all the way. After reading through the files, is it my understanding that I have a hydraulic system and I was attempting to operate the slide with the levelers extended? Second question, what do the brethren suggest to put on the slides. Spray, grease, or some other magical material? Thirdly, is there a certain procedure when doing it manually to keep the slide in? Thanks in advance for you help as always.

Pat Moynihan
330 Cat
99 Safari Serengeti
6sp Ally'

'Also, where do I check hydraulic fluid level and add if need be?

Pat Moynihan
330 Cat
99 Safari Serengeti
6spd Ally'
ondaflore

Post by ondaflore »

'Pat,
Search the files for RVA manuals up loaded by Davidbleddy in Feb.  Keep scrolling down ,the files are not in any of the folders.
You will see that the levelers and the hydraulic slide share the same pump and reservoir.  Safari specifies that you extend and retract the slide with the levelers retracted.  That ensures that you do not run out of fluid and pump air into the ram that operates the slide.  To address your  immediate problem, retract your levelers, then top off the reservoir per the manual. The reservoir is just aft of the battery tray, behind the engine service center.  Once you have topped off the reservoir (Dextron 3 - don't use the synthetic Dextron), you will need to run the slide in and out several times to purge air out of the lines and ram. When the slide is operated, you are pumping fluid into one side of the ram cylinder while fluid on the side being compressed is working against a pressure relief valve to return to the reservoir.  These relief valves maintain pressure in the ram so that the slide stays extended when opened and closed when retracted.  You were working against the "retract" relief valve when you manually ratcheted the slide closed, and that is why is opened back up.  You were likely compressing air in the line.  Once you have purged air out of the ram lines, recheck your fluid level. 

As for lubrication, I'd put the spray grease on the roller bearings and leave the rails dry so they don't accumulate road grit.
By the way, if you have air in your slide retract side, OR bump the extend switch to relieve the pressure in your extend lines (something I always do when the outdrive trim pump on my boat hits up and down limits) your slide will open two or three inches the first time you make a right turn.  Ask me how I know!

Hope that helps,
Bob2001 ZanzibarOne Hydraulic slide, one screw driven slide
330 hp CAT
Huntsville AL

'

'Bob, thanks so much for the response, brings me into the light a little. As for the slide coming out on right hand turns I get it, if you need any info on dropping your boat off the trailer twice....I'm your man.'