Re: RV tip over wind speed

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
robertcosmar

RV tip over wind speed

Post by robertcosmar »

'
Hi everyone,

This might sound like an odd question, but we need to ask it. We have a 38' 2000 Safari Zanzibar that weights about 33,000 lbs. We are in the general area of where Dorian is coming. We are about 100 miles from the ocean. We are in an RV park and they have not declared an evacuation yet. The question we have is how much wind would it take to turn an RV like ours on its side?

Thanks,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar'
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'Great question!  Someone has to have considered this already.  Would be an easy physics problem if someone knew how high the center of gravity (Cg) is for these toys.  
My thoughts on this would be if possible, though not  likely, face your tail into the oncoming wind to prevent less surface area for the wind to act upon, and keep all the glass out of the direct path of wind born debris. v/r, 
Taylor Hudson‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126acquired 2018, Jacksonville, FL
On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 4:57 PM robertcosmar@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi everyone,

This might sound like an odd question, but we need to ask it. We have a 38' 2000 Safari Zanzibar that weights about 33,000 lbs. We are in the general area of where Dorian is coming. We are about 100 miles from the ocean. We are in an RV park and they have not declared an evacuation yet. The question we have is how much wind would it take to turn an RV like ours on its side?

Thanks,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar
'
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Robert, Too many variables to answer definitively.  Wind direction may be the biggest.  Broadside it will have the most surface to push against.   Having your leveling jacks down is not smart if you are in the path.  I do not believe there is any place in the state of Florida that is close to 100 miles from an ocean.  I recommend you either evacuate in it, or not be in it, and that you are sure your insurance is in force.
GaryCentral Florida resident
On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 3:58 PM robertcosmar@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
W Taylor Hudson

'Gary, what is your rational on not deploying your leaving jacks (to be able to reposition the coach more quickly when wind direction shifts)?  I think your statement on being within 100 miles of a coast came out opposite of what you stated. 
Robert,Obviously coaches can take a 90 MPH headwind all day long; they experience that when driven at 70 into a 20 MPH headwind. 
If you are in a wooded campground, I imagine your larger risk is an overturned tree falling across your toy. v/r,
Taylor Hudson‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126acquired 2018, 14 yrs in JAX, 7 yrs in Orlando, 39 yrs in Charleston
On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 5:13 PM Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Robert, Too many variables to answer definitively.  Wind direction may be the biggest.  Broadside it will have the most surface to push against.   Having your leveling jacks down is not smart if you are in the path.  I do not believe there is any place in the state of Florida that is close to 100 miles from an ocean.  I recommend you either evacuate in it, or not be in it, and that you are sure your insurance is in force.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
'
loislop

Post by loislop »

'As a recent FEMA retiree that has worked almost of the Southeast hurricanes since 2001, Gary said it best.
If it will be at least a Cat 3, it isn't worth the risk.  If you are even close to the vicinity, it wont matter if you are directly damaged, you will be affected- limited resources, such as fuel, first responders, and food at the restaurants. Not to mention your RV Park.  You could become part of the problem, impacting evacuees looking for the same resources as you.  Florida is big and beautiful.  Move to an area out of the path of influence, if you can.  You dont want to have to argue for diesel or other necessities after the storm, when true victims may need the same resources.  
And no one can predict the wind direction, or how it will make landfall, as those dynamics happen while the cyclone is coming in.
Dont mean to scare you.  Just think its wise to get out of the way, as Gary said.  Dont be part of the problem, when the limited resources, including first responders, will be needed for response activities immediately after landfall.
Lois'01 Serengeti

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 8/29/19 2:12 PM (GMT-08:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] RV tip over wind speed

Robert, Too many variables to answer definitively.  Wind direction may be the biggest.  Broadside it will have the most surface to push against.   Having your leveling jacks down is not smart if you are in the path.  I do not believe there is any place in the state of Florida that is close to 100 miles from an ocean.  I recommend you either evacuate in it, or not be in it, and that you are sure your insurance is in force.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' I saw pictures of a hurricane insurance claim on a Newell which I think is about 50,000+ lbs. It had been flipped on its side.
Is there enough time to get away? Even 2 hours drive adds 100 miles and might reduce the impact. Also tables, garbage bins, chair's etc can be projectiles. At the very least make sure someone else's stuff isn't near you. I've not been in a hurricane on Iand but have been in these winds forces at sea on a ship. It's impossible to describe the power... obvious probably, but there it is for what it's worth.
 Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
On August 29, 2019 1:58:02 PM "robertcosmar@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar

'
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Taylor,To clarify, Florida has always said there is no place in the state that is over an hour away from either the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean. Of course that was when there were only 4 million people here, and was based on 60 mph in a car headed to the closest ocean, straight line.  I live 35 miles from the Atlanic and Cape Canaveral, but normal traffic and population growth make that over an hour drive most of the time.  Quadruple the time during evacuaions.  Two years ago I chose to drive my Sahara out of the hurricane's projected path over my house, and it took me 8 hours fight the evacuating population to go 225 miles to a "safe area" west of Tallahassee.  The storm went over our home (no damage) out of the Gulf, entering the Atlantic, then came back and went through Jacksonville and down I-10 to where I was West of Tallahassee.  Trees down everywhere, but no coach damage either.  Drove home the next day in 4 hours.  Coach should always be parked with a full tank of fuel.  That gets me 700 miles without having to get fuel.  Most of the evacuating folks are traveling in cars and leave home without a full tank, so are looking for a fill up quickly along with lots of other folks. 

Having the jacks down stops the vehicle's suspension from helping to absorb the impact of the wind gusts.  l

For any RVer not familiar with these storms, I would recommend they exercise their engine and tires and get out of Dodge for a few days.  And leave, if you are uncomfortable, before the authorities tell you to.  Get on I-75 and head into Central Georgia.  Take i-10 and head away from latest projected path.  If you wait until an evacuation order is issued, you will be in a pack of turtles. 
On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 4:34 PM W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Gary, what is your rational on not deploying your leaving jacks (to be able to reposition the coach more quickly when wind direction shifts)?  I think your statement on being within 100 miles of a coast came out opposite of what you stated. 
Robert,Obviously coaches can take a 90 MPH headwind all day long; they experience that when driven at 70 into a 20 MPH headwind. 
If you are in a wooded campground, I imagine your larger risk is an overturned tree falling across your toy. v/r,
Taylor Hudson‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126acquired 2018, 14 yrs in JAX, 7 yrs in Orlando, 39 yrs in Charleston

Robert, Too many variables to answer definitively.  Wind direction may be the biggest.  Broadside it will have the most surface to push against.   Having your leveling jacks down is not smart if you are in the path..  I do not believe there is any place in the state of Florida that is close to 100 miles from an ocean.  I recommend you either evacuate in it, or not be in it, and that you are sure your insurance is in force.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

'Robert, CJ, This is a very valid concern. And is of course partially dependent on direction wind gust hit the RV. If head on, then would need to be tornadoic type speeds to lift it. If broadside and no other structures are around it to block incoming wind, then my guesstimate would be in the 50mph’ish, possibly less of sustained winds. Recommend you google windshear needed to topple a semi, as I imagine their has been more funds applied to that research than rv’s.
This said, my Connie weathered the four hurricanes that occurred on either side of Hurrican Ivan. The major storm of the gulf coast prior to Katrina taking out NO’s levies (or however one cares to word that issue.) I had it parked along side, parallel to, my double garage. (Just north of I-10 in P’cola area.) I had a large pecan tree on the other side of the coach. The morning after Ivan hit the coach was ok, the pecan tree had fallen over parallel to the coach. A blessing, as me and my neighbors kept our freezers cold from electricity supplied by my rig’s generator.
Your predicament is one I can see myself being in in the coming years. Having experienced direct hits and nearly ones of multiple hurricanes on dry land and work through their aftermath, as well as done emergency sorties to ride them out on the ocean,  my advise is to not try it in an RV. If you do, then Be sure to try and park it accordingly and anchor it down just as you would a mobile home.
I’m about to do a 5 hour drive, but pls feel free to email me directly if I can be of assistance, I’ll get back as soon as I can. I haven’t kept track of Dorian’s movement in the last 24 hours.R/Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd 
Sent from my iPhone
On Aug 29, 2019, at 3:55 PM, robertcosmar@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar
'
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

'Robert, Best advise just cane from Gary!I was a bit long winded saying the same.R/Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd 

Sent from my iPhone
On Aug 29, 2019, at 4:12 PM, Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
'
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
W Taylor Hudson

'Thanks for the response.  Concur completely with preplanning. Decide ahead of time what class storm you may stay for, and what class you will not.  Leave two days early for an enjoyable destination (mountains of NW NC for me) and make an enjoyable trip out of it.  There is no enjoyment sitting on an interstate moving at 5 mph.  Where and when the storm makes landfall is typically a crapshoot till 24 hours out.  And don’t support your family watching the Weatherchannel all day long. The media sensationalizes everything creating excess anxiety in stress able people. v/r,
Taylor Hudson‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126acquired 2018
On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 6:24 PM Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Taylor,To clarify, Florida has always said there is no place in the state that is over an hour away from either the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean. Of course that was when there were only 4 million people here, and was based on 60 mph in a car headed to the closest ocean, straight line.  I live 35 miles from the Atlanic and Cape Canaveral, but normal traffic and population growth make that over an hour drive most of the time.  Quadruple the time during evacuaions..  Two years ago I chose to drive my Sahara out of the hurricane's projected path over my house, and it took me 8 hours fight the evacuating population to go 225 miles to a "safe area" west of Tallahassee.  The storm went over our home (no damage) out of the Gulf, entering the Atlantic, then came back and went through Jacksonville and down I-10 to where I was West of Tallahassee.  Trees down everywhere, but no coach damage either.  Drove home the next day in 4 hours.  Coach should always be parked with a full tank of fuel.  That gets me 700 miles without having to get fuel.  Most of the evacuating folks are traveling in cars and leave home without a full tank, so are looking for a fill up quickly along with lots of other folks. 

Having the jacks down stops the vehicle's suspension from helping to absorb the impact of the wind gusts.  l

For any RVer not familiar with these storms, I would recommend they exercise their engine and tires and get out of Dodge for a few days.  And leave, if you are uncomfortable, before the authorities tell you to.  Get on I-75 and head into Central Georgia.  Take i-10 and head away from latest projected path.  If you wait until an evacuation order is issued, you will be in a pack of turtles. 

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 4:34 PM W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Gary, what is your rational on not deploying your leaving jacks (to be able to reposition the coach more quickly when wind direction shifts)?  I think your statement on being within 100 miles of a coast came out opposite of what you stated. 

Robert, Too many variables to answer definitively.  Wind direction may be the biggest.  Broadside it will have the most surface to push against.   Having your leveling jacks down is not smart if you are in the path...  I do not believe there is any place in the state of Florida that is close to 100 miles from an ocean.  I recommend you either evacuate in it, or not be in it, and that you are sure your insurance is in force.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
'