Re: [Safarifriends] Re: RV steps won’t retract or advance

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
robertfury@gmail.com

RV steps won’t retract or advance

Post by robertfury@gmail.com »

'Hello. I have one set of stairs that isn’t working. Before they quit working, for six months or so they would make a terrible sound of grinding gears when they got close to fill out or fill in. It got to where I had to physically help them to go in and out. Now nothing.

I took off the motor and gear assembly. As found in old postings it’s a LCI PN 163669, or as some people mentioned a Ford Taurus ACI 83694 also works. But before I order it I want to make sure it’s the motor that is the problem. When disconnected steps move freely. No damage to gears in step unit. When I ground the step motor to negative battery post, and add 12 volt power from positive post nothing, on either hot wire. So I guess this tells me the motor is the problem? I have not tested power at wires leading to motor after closing or opening door. Thanks in advance!

Robert Fury
1994 Safari Continental
8.3 Cummins 6 speed Allison'
jeff

Re: [Safarifriends] RV steps won’t retract or advance

Post by jeff »

'Bring you dead motor to a auto parts store suggest the Ford window motor they can match it.  I had to drill out the bolt holes.  Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone
On Aug 29, 2019, at 8:02 PM, robertfury@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hello. I have one set of stairs that isn’t working. Before they quit working, for six months or so they would make a terrible sound of grinding gears when they got close to fill out or fill in. It got to where I had to physically help them to go in and out. Now nothing.

I took off the motor and gear assembly. As found in old postings it’s a LCI PN 163669, or as some people mentioned a Ford Taurus ACI 83694 also works. But before I order it I want to make sure it’s the motor that is the problem. When disconnected steps move freely. No damage to gears in step unit. When I ground the step motor to negative battery post, and add 12 volt power from positive post nothing, on either hot wire. So I guess this tells me the motor is the problem? I have not tested power at wires leading to motor after closing or opening door. Thanks in advance!

Robert Fury
1994 Safari Continental
8.3 Cummins 6 speed Allison '
Dwayne

Post by Dwayne »

'I played with that. Just get a new motor and box. Happy now. However it came with new door magnet switch opposite to what I had. So steps would open when door closed. Replace door magnet switch too

Dwayne Knoll
> On Aug 29, 2019, at 6:02 PM, robertfury@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
>
> Hello. I have one set of stairs that isn’t working. Before they quit working, for six months or so they would make a terrible sound of grinding gears when they got close to fill out or fill in. It got to where I had to physically help them to go in and out. Now nothing.
>
> I took off the motor and gear assembly. As found in old postings it’s a LCI PN 163669, or as some people mentioned a Ford Taurus ACI 83694 also works. But before I order it I want to make sure it’s the motor that is the problem. When disconnected steps move freely. No damage to gears in step unit. When I ground the step motor to negative battery post, and add 12 volt power from positive post nothing, on either hot wire. So I guess this tells me the motor is the problem? I have not tested power at wires leading to motor after closing or opening door. Thanks in advance!
>
> Robert Fury
> 1994 Safari Continental
> 8.3 Cummins 6 speed Allison
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: robertfury@...
>
> Community email addresses:
> Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
> Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
> Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
> List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com
>
> Shortcut URL to this page:
> http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Robert
You may find some useful information if you check my presentation below on how I rebuilt my stairs.
The motor should turn both directions by reversing the power.
https://safaritoonces.org/project-tree-branches/repairs/repairs-mechanical/kwikee-steps-2/
OnRobert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org

August 29, 2019 6:02:18 PM "robertfury@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:

Hello. I have one set of stairs that isn’t working. Before they quit working, for six months or so they would make a terrible sound of grinding gears when they got close to fill out or fill in. It got to where I had to physically help them to go in and out. Now nothing.

Robert Fury
1994 Safari Continental
8.3 Cummins 6 speed Allison

'
robertfury@gmail.com

Re: RV steps won’t retract or advance

Post by robertfury@gmail.com »

'Ordered ACI pert number 83694, window motor for early and mid 90s ford windows. Replaced motor, steps work great! Btw, if your step goes out when it should go in, you don’t need to change magnets, just switch two power wires. Thanks!

Robert
1994 Safari Continental 8.3 Cummins 6 speed Allison'
James Exler

Re: [Safarifriends] Re: RV steps won’t retract or advance

Post by James Exler »

'

Robert,

When you mention to swap the power wires, please include that you are talking about the motor leads, not the power leads to the circuit.

With the swap you should also check that the steps retract from the out position with the controller off if the key is turned on. Also check the "last out" function to insure that is working.

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID (going to Dollywood tomorrow.)

On 9/8/2019 4:16 PM, robertfury@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Ordered ACI pert number 83694, window motor for early and mid 90s ford windows. Replaced motor, steps work great! Btw, if your step goes out when it should go in, you don’t need to change magnets, just switch two power wires. Thanks!

Robert
1994 Safari Continental 8.3 Cummins 6 speed Allison

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'