Re: Washer Dryer - Problems and changes

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com

Washer Dryer - Problems and changes

Post by robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com »

'
Hi

For those that might be interested, here is a presentation on correcting problems with the Splendide Combo-Matic washer dryer. The washer and dryer were a source of a lot of misfortune in this motor home. It has multiple problems that caused the washer to overflow into the electrical bay causing extensive damage. This presentation outlines the corrections implemented and a redesign of the drain system. 

https://safaritoonces.org/project-tree-branches/repairs/repairs-mechanical/washer-dryer-modifications/

Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

https://safaritoonces.org
'
loislop

Post by loislop »

'You guys are really wonderful!  We all appreciate your efforts to help all of is Safari owners deal with so many issues.  Thanks so much!
Lois&Darryl'01 Serengeti

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 9/1/19 7:21 PM (GMT-08:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Safarifriends] Washer Dryer - Problems and changes

Hi

For those that might be interested, here is a presentation on correcting problems with the Splendide Combo-Matic washer dryer. The washer and dryer were a source of a lot of misfortune in this motor home. It has multiple problems that caused the washer to overflow into the electrical bay causing extensive damage. This presentation outlines the corrections implemented and a redesign of the drain system. 

https://safaritoonces.org/project-tree-branches/repairs/repairs-mechanical/washer-dryer-modifications/

Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' To add to Mr. Lewis”s commentary,. It should be noted that the washer uses something near 40 gallons of water. Since the black tank to which Mr. Lewis directs his washer water only holds 50 gallons a problem could quickly develop. Can you imagine 12 or 15 gallons of sewage waste already in the tank. It makes far more sense to direct the water to the grey water tank. Since my 99 Continental is earlier the design is directed to the black water tank drain directly below the exit of the tank behind the blade valve and intended to be used only in a campground and drained as used. It can go to the grey tank if the blade valve is open. The only way it can get to the tank, or either one is to be forced backwards up the drain to either tank which is not what was intended.
Frankly I suspect the remnant issues Mr. Lewis discovered may be from inept operation or from greater expectations rather than product design. 

Bill Edwards1999Panther

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' These are correct insights that has Bill has noted. 
I believe I did try to emphasize that you have to pay very careful attention to the level in the black tanks. The original design could push water back up into the black tank if the exit discharge was closed. This is still the current operation however it also goes down the dry stack into the black tank. This forms a closed loop. 
The intent is not to find a way to run the washer when there's no proper sewer hookup, a minor secondary purpose is to force water into the black tank if you want to use the washer to clean the tank. Otherwise the system works exactly as it used to when the bottom exit is open. 
The problems that I encountered were, water had escaped through the washer and through the floor into the electrical Bay thru two points. I maintain that the standpipe discharge being open is a sloppy design. on my washer soap and water had run. down over the column to the floor. I connected to the dry stack to vent the standpipe which closed to the washer. The lint trap removal I would definetly recommend. This failed and caused extensive damage, is simple to bypass and serves no purpose in a motorhome.
I think I looked at connecting the washer to the grey tank and it was a lot of work. Bills coach design better. My coach was the next year and I guess they reduced the costs by reducing the connection layout.
The intent was not to find a way to run the washer when there was no hook up, the intent was to close the water loop in the washer so that it could not overflow for any reason. As a secondary consequence it had the side benefit that with ... careful...constant monitoring the washer water could be put into the black tank. That being said I didn't pay attention at one time and almost did overflow the toilet, so as Bill noted, a word to the wise.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
On September 2, 2019 7:22:18 AM "Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
To add to Mr. Lewis”s commentary,. It should be noted that the washer uses something near 40 gallons of water. Since the black tank to which Mr. Lewis directs his washer water only holds 50 gallons a problem could quickly develop. Can you imagine 12 or 15 gallons of sewage waste already in the tank. It makes far more sense to direct the water to the grey water tank.. Since my 99 Continental is earlier the design is directed to the black water tank drain directly below the exit of the tank behind the blade valve and intended to be used only in a campground and drained as used. It can go to the grey tank if the blade valve is open. The only way it can get to the tank, or either one is to be forced backwards up the drain to either tank which is not what was intended.
Frankly I suspect the remnant issues Mr. Lewis discovered may be from inept operation or from greater expectations rather than product design. 

Bill Edwards1999Panther

'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Good

On Monday, September 2, 2019, 12:37 PM, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
These are correct insights that has Bill has noted. 
I believe I did try to emphasize that you have to pay very careful attention to the level in the black tanks. The original design could push water back up into the black tank if the exit discharge was closed. This is still the current operation however it also goes down the dry stack into the black tank. This forms a closed loop. 
The intent is not to find a way to run the washer when there's no proper sewer hookup, a minor secondary purpose is to force water into the black tank if you want to use the washer to clean the tank. Otherwise the system works exactly as it used to when the bottom exit is open. 
The problems that I encountered were, water had escaped through the washer and through the floor into the electrical Bay thru two points. I maintain that the standpipe discharge being open is a sloppy design. on my washer soap and water had run. down over the column to the floor. I connected to the dry stack to vent the standpipe which closed to the washer. The lint trap removal I would definetly recommend. This failed and caused extensive damage, is simple to bypass and serves no purpose in a motorhome.
I think I looked at connecting the washer to the grey tank and it was a lot of work. Bills coach design better. My coach was the next year and I guess they reduced the costs by reducing the connection layout.
The intent was not to find a way to run the washer when there was no hook up, the intent was to close the water loop in the washer so that it could not overflow for any reason. As a secondary consequence it had the side benefit that with ... careful...constant monitoring the washer water could be put into the black tank. That being said I didn't pay attention at one time and almost did overflow the toilet, so as Bill noted, a word to the wise.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
On September 2, 2019 7:22:18 AM "Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
To add to Mr. Lewis”s commentary,. It should be noted that the washer uses something near 40 gallons of water. Since the black tank to which Mr. Lewis directs his washer water only holds 50 gallons a problem could quickly develop. Can you imagine 12 or 15 gallons of sewage waste already in the tank. It makes far more sense to direct the water to the grey water tank... Since my 99 Continental is earlier the design is directed to the black water tank drain directly below the exit of the tank behind the blade valve and intended to be used only in a campground and drained as used. It can go to the grey tank if the blade valve is open. The only way it can get to the tank, or either one is to be forced backwards up the drain to either tank which is not what was intended.

Bill Edwards1999Panther

'
Paul Pecnik

Post by Paul Pecnik »

'Hi AllMakes a great place for more cupboard space.  Some battles are .....
Paul 1999 Continental Panther
Image Virus-free. www.avast.com
On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 11:52 AM Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Good

On Monday, September 2, 2019, 12:37 PM, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
The problems that I encountered were, water had escaped through the washer and through the floor into the electrical Bay thru two points. I maintain that the standpipe discharge being open is a sloppy design. on my washer soap and water had run.. down over the column to the floor. I connected to the dry stack to vent the standpipe which closed to the washer. The lint trap removal I would definetly recommend. This failed and caused extensive damage, is simple to bypass and serves no purpose in a motorhome.
To add to Mr. Lewis”s commentary,. It should be noted that the washer uses something near 40 gallons of water. Since the black tank to which Mr. Lewis directs his washer water only holds 50 gallons a problem could quickly develop. Can you imagine 12 or 15 gallons of sewage waste already in the tank. It makes far more sense to direct the water to the grey water tank.... Since my 99 Continental is earlier the design is directed to the black water tank drain directly below the exit of the tank behind the blade valve and intended to be used only in a campground and drained as used. It can go to the grey tank if the blade valve is open. The only way it can get to the tank, or either one is to be forced backwards up the drain to either tank which is not what was intended.

Bill Edwards1999Panther

Image Virus-free. www.avast.com '
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Paul , I could not agree more

On Monday, September 2, 2019, 12:59 PM, Paul Pecnik paulpecnik@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Hi AllMakes a great place for more cupboard space.  Some battles are .....
ImageVirus-free. www.avast.com
On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 11:52 AM Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Good

The problems that I encountered were, water had escaped through the washer and through the floor into the electrical Bay thru two points. I maintain that the standpipe discharge being open is a sloppy design. on my washer soap and water had run.. down over the column to the floor. I connected to the dry stack to vent the standpipe which closed to the washer. The lint trap removal I would definetly recommend. This failed and caused extensive damage, is simple to bypass and serves no purpose in a motorhome.
To add to Mr. Lewis”s commentary,. It should be noted that the washer uses something near 40 gallons of water. Since the black tank to which Mr. Lewis directs his washer water only holds 50 gallons a problem could quickly develop. Can you imagine 12 or 15 gallons of sewage waste already in the tank. It makes far more sense to direct the water to the grey water tank..... Since my 99 Continental is earlier the design is directed to the black water tank drain directly below the exit of the tank behind the blade valve and intended to be used only in a campground and drained as used. It can go to the grey tank if the blade valve is open. The only way it can get to the tank, or either one is to be forced backwards up the drain to either tank which is not what was intended.

Bill Edwards1999Panther

'
technolog1

Post by technolog1 »

'I pulled mine and built in pullouts. Gives lots of storage for her sewing machines and tall stuff.Craig 93 cont. 8.3 6sp300 days from full timer rver

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 9/2/19 8:05 PM (GMT-06:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Re: Washer Dryer - Problems and changes

Paul , I could not agree more

On Monday, September 2, 2019, 12:59 PM, Paul Pecnik paulpecnik@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Hi AllMakes a great place for more cupboard space.  Some battles are .....

Good

[url=https://overview..mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad[/url]

The problems that I encountered were, water had escaped through the washer and through the floor into the electrical Bay thru two points. I maintain that the standpipe discharge being open is a sloppy design. on my washer soap and water had run... down over the column to the floor. I connected to the dry stack to vent the standpipe which closed to the washer. The lint trap removal I would definetly recommend. This failed and caused extensive damage, is simple to bypass and serves no purpose in a motorhome.
To add to Mr. Lewis”s commentary,. It should be noted that the washer uses something near 40 gallons of water. Since the black tank to which Mr. Lewis directs his washer water only holds 50 gallons a problem could quickly develop. Can you imagine 12 or 15 gallons of sewage waste already in the tank. It makes far more sense to direct the water to the grey water tank...... Since my 99 Continental is earlier the design is directed to the black water tank drain directly below the exit of the tank behind the blade valve and intended to be used only in a campground and drained as used. It can go to the grey tank if the blade valve is open. The only way it can get to the tank, or either one is to be forced backwards up the drain to either tank which is not what was intended.

Bill Edwards1999Panther

'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'bill
I don't know what washer you are taking about but the Splendide washer/dryer in my coach uses less than 15 gallons of water to do a complete wash AND 3 rinses, (none of which have ever drained into either the gray or black tank waste water tanks.Mel
'96 Sahara

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

To add to Mr. Lewis”s commentary,. It should be noted that the washer uses something near 40 gallons of water. Since the black tank to which Mr. Lewis directs his washer water only holds 50 gallons a problem could quickly develop. Can you imagine 12 or 15 gallons of sewage waste already in the tank. It makes far more sense to direct the water to the grey water tank. Since my 99 Continental is earlier the design is directed to the black water tank drain directly below the exit of the tank behind the blade valve and intended to be used only in a campground and drained as used. It can go to the grey tank if the blade valve is open. The only way it can get to the tank, or either one is to be forced backwards up the drain to either tank which is not what was intended.Frankly I suspect the remnant issues Mr. Lewis discovered may be from inept operation or from greater expectations rather than product design.
Bill Edwards1999Panther

'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Egads Mel I did not say they did and technically you are right and certainly I could be off on the water volume since I have not used one of them. Only working with a memory that at this point in time is not as sharpe as yours. Never professed to being correct on everything I have offered up. While you are at it jump on Lewis too...he brought it all up in the first place not me. Thanks for makin sure I will be correct next time!
Bill Edwards1999 Panther

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019, 11:53 AM, stuplich@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
bill
I don't know what washer you are taking about but the Splendide washer/dryer in my coach uses less than 15 gallons of water to do a complete wash AND 3 rinses, (none of which have ever drained into either the gray or black tank waste water tanks.Mel
'96 Sahara

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

To add to Mr. Lewis”s commentary,. It should be noted that the washer uses something near 40 gallons of water. Since the black tank to which Mr. Lewis directs his washer water only holds 50 gallons a problem could quickly develop. Can you imagine 12 or 15 gallons of sewage waste already in the tank. It makes far more sense to direct the water to the grey water tank. Since my 99 Continental is earlier the design is directed to the black water tank drain directly below the exit of the tank behind the blade valve and intended to be used only in a campground and drained as used. It can go to the grey tank if the blade valve is open. The only way it can get to the tank, or either one is to be forced backwards up the drain to either tank which is not what was intended.Frankly I suspect the remnant issues Mr. Lewis discovered may be from inept operation or from greater expectations rather than product design.
Bill Edwards1999Panther

'