Re: New potential Safari owner

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
iradiate1967

New potential Safari owner

Post by iradiate1967 »

'Hi all! I have been on the lookout for a Safari diesel motorhome and have been doing my research. I have located a very nice 2000 Safari Continental 4006. Tastefully updated interior and 96k on a Cat 350hp specs say 41 ft long. Tires new 2017. Dealership asking 39,900. Am I correct that the price is high? Any known issues with the year or model? I’m impressed with it but the length intimidates me as I haven’t driven anything over 30 ft. Long. I also have to tow a 5600 pound load trailer and cargo combined. Will it be underpowered for that? I sure appreciate input!

Vince Brunette. Silver City, NM'
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'a) from what I have seen price appears to almost twice typical selling price for age/mileage.  Would expect new condition exterior paint, spotless interior, no known mechanical or electrical problems.  Would expect records of proper maintenance. 
b) believe the drivetrain to be reasonably reliable.  Failure of high pressure unit injection is expensive if it occurs.  Not a high-frequency failure, but not a perfect trouble free record either. 
c) length: have you driven any single unit vehicle this long?   Would not plunk down that type of cash till you you have spent enough time in something that long to verify your comfort level.  I got a good value on mine buying from someone whose spouse was not comfortable driving it.   At the retail price being asked, it will be slow to turn (at cost) if your are not comfortable with it. 
d) towing the 5,600 load.  Load will require its own brakes.  From my experience you can expect it to reasonably tow that load at 65 on level roadway.  It will not hold speed or haul butt up real grades, even without the trailer attached.  The new coaches we see blowing by us at 75-80 with large box trailers are likely 450-600 hp drivetrains. 
e) not trying to sound negative, remember you are buying a product of a defunct manufacturer.  And none commercial off the shelf (COTS) parts may be difficult to find and costly. While any coach service center should be able to service it, if you are your own wrench turner, your only real resource of repair information are files and the handful of experienced people on this site.  
f) Any coach this old, regardless of present condition, is going to have stuff fail due to age and wear.  If you turn wrenches yourself, you will be busy, but will have an “affordable” coach. If you do not turn wrenches, I would expect to spend a few thousand each year at shops. 
Best of luck in whatever you decide.  v/r,
Taylor Hudson‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126 (300 hp), acquired 2018
On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 3:12 PM aroostook67@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi all! I have been on the lookout for a Safari diesel motorhome and have been doing my research. I have located a very nice 2000 Safari Continental 4006. Tastefully updated interior and 96k on a Cat 350hp specs say 41 ft long. Tires new 2017. Dealership asking 39,900. Am I correct that the price is high? Any known issues with the year or model? I’m impressed with it but the length intimidates me as I haven’t driven anything over 30 ft. Long. I also have to tow a 5600 pound load trailer and cargo combined. Will it be underpowered for that? I sure appreciate input!

Vince Brunette. Silver City, NM
'
Jeff Travasos

Post by Jeff Travasos »

'I have a fried in Evergreen, CO that is selling his Safari.  I know he is a member on this board and you might want to contact him.  He purchased a second Safari.  Needs to sell one. 
If you have trouble locating him send me a message and I can send you contact info.
Cajun Jeff

Sent from my iPad
On Sep 9, 2019, at 4:00 PM, W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

a) from what I have seen price appears to almost twice typical selling price for age/mileage.  Would expect new condition exterior paint, spotless interior, no known mechanical or electrical problems.  Would expect records of proper maintenance. 
b) believe the drivetrain to be reasonably reliable.  Failure of high pressure unit injection is expensive if it occurs.  Not a high-frequency failure, but not a perfect trouble free record either. 
c) length: have you driven any single unit vehicle this long?   Would not plunk down that type of cash till you you have spent enough time in something that long to verify your comfort level.  I got a good value on mine buying from someone whose spouse was not comfortable driving it.   At the retail price being asked, it will be slow to turn (at cost) if your are not comfortable with it. 
d) towing the 5,600 load.  Load will require its own brakes.  From my experience you can expect it to reasonably tow that load at 65 on level roadway.  It will not hold speed or haul butt up real grades, even without the trailer attached.  The new coaches we see blowing by us at 75-80 with large box trailers are likely 450-600 hp drivetrains. 
e) not trying to sound negative, remember you are buying a product of a defunct manufacturer.  And none commercial off the shelf (COTS) parts may be difficult to find and costly. While any coach service center should be able to service it, if you are your own wrench turner, your only real resource of repair information are files and the handful of experienced people on this site.  
f) Any coach this old, regardless of present condition, is going to have stuff fail due to age and wear.  If you turn wrenches yourself, you will be busy, but will have an “affordable” coach. If you do not turn wrenches, I would expect to spend a few thousand each year at shops. 

Hi all! I have been on the lookout for a Safari diesel motorhome and have been doing my research. I have located a very nice 2000 Safari Continental 4006. Tastefully updated interior and 96k on a Cat 350hp specs say 41 ft long. Tires new 2017. Dealership asking 39,900. Am I correct that the price is high? Any known issues with the year or model? I’m impressed with it but the length intimidates me as I haven’t driven anything over 30 ft. Long. I also have to tow a 5600 pound load trailer and cargo combined. Will it be underpowered for that? I sure appreciate input!

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

'
Hi Vince
I agree and add my thoughts to what Taylor has said.
I have this coach and I find that the difference between 38 feet and 41 feet is negligible. I had a Fleetwood Discovery that was about 38 feet. If you allow for the length when turning I don't think you will find the length a problem. What I find more concern is the height and width. But these are the same on most Class A coaches.
As to the cost I think it is high by about five or six thousand dollars. But you need to check the Blue Book value and do some research. 
One area you need to be concerned about is if there is any water damage in the roof at the front. My coach appeared to be perfect when I bought it but the entire front truss system was rotted out due to the satellite dish leaking over the years. The way to check this if they'll let you, is to take an awl and go behind either the TV or the entertainment centre and it's check the truss to make certain it's firm and not rotted. Also if you can check the engine codes, go back in time and see if there's any overheating issues on the engine. You have to do this through the odb2 connector with a diagnostic system for cat. You might be able to borrow this or rented from someone. If the coach has a VMS2000 computer in the dash you can go back and check the codes with that.
The other obvious things to check are the age of the batteries and make sure they're at the correct type for the use. Mine had starter batteries installed in the house Battery area. Completely wrong batteries for the application and already damaged. The other thing of course is the tires they should be less than 7 years old or they have to be changed. The list goes on and on. But to reiterate and reinforce what Taylor said you have to be prepared and have the skill set and time to possibly do your own repairs and fixes. The RV lots may have done a lot of damage and mistakes to this unit if it is anything close to what happened to mine. You must be prepared to correct these issues one at a time. Your evaluation sounds exactly like mine was when I bought my coach. I had owned a fifth wheel and a new Diesel Pusher before buying this coach. So I had about 100,000 miles of driving and owning these types of vehicles. But I didn't know how much that I didn't know.
That being said I do not regret buying this coach mainly because it was what I could afford and I have the ability to fix it when I found out I have problems. But I would never buy an RV from an RV dealer again. You need to look the owner in the eye and have them explain all that they've done, all that needs to be done and any other suggestions they might have as to the state of the machine. If you want to see some of the issues I encountered you can check the link on my signature below.
I don't want to discourage you, but you need you need to set your expectations accurately.
There was posted on this site somewhere a checklist of what to look for in buying an RV used. I would suggest you need to look that up. All the best.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org

On September 9, 2019 2:01:05 PM "W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
a) from what I have seen price appears to almost twice typical selling price for age/mileage.  Would expect new condition exterior paint, spotless interior, no known mechanical or electrical problems.  Would expect records of proper maintenance. 

'
TD

Post by TD »

'Vince,

Taylor and Robert both make very valid points, even though some of
them are not as bad as they sound.
As Robert mentioned, the files section on this site, has a check list
form that you can download, print out, and take with you when you go
RV hunting. I would strongly suggest that you print it out and use it.
I would also suggest you try to contact Kent ( can't remember his last
name), he is a member of this group and has sold Safari coaches for
many years. He knows all their weaknesses and strengths and can tell
you what to look out for.

Also, something to consider is what Jeff mentioned. Bill Edwards, a
member on this group is selling his coach. I have seen this coach in
person (and have ridden in it), and can vouch that this coach is a
beautiful turn key coach, or as turn key as reality and "Murphy"
allows. It is a 2001 Safari Zanzibar, 39 feet long, two slides, diesel
generator, torsional - VelvetRide suspension, with a supplemental air
bag suspension, for a real smooth ride. And...(I'm kind of jealous of
this one), the coach has a gorgeous walnut interior, all real walnut
wood.
Bill is ''Mr. Redundancy", he has gone through every nook and cranny
on this coach and has repaired, improved, and updated every possible
thing that could affect the dependability and/or function of this
coach. He even upgraded the brake rotors to cryogenic rotors for
better durability and performance! I think he might be the only member
on here to have gone to such an extreme. This should give you an idea
of how meticulous he is. I would suggest you send him a PM and at
least go look at it before you make your final decision.
In any case, what ever you decide, be sure to look at everything
really thoroughly, and use that check list! These are amazing
beautiful coaches, that have a great layout (roomy) and are built like
a brick $hit house. If you find one that has been taken care off, it
will bring you many years of joy and memories. And these coaches also
usually give you the best bang for the buck.

As for older coaches braking down? Well, like cars and houses, they
all need work and TLC. New are old, they all have their issues, the
difference is, with the old ones, usually they are easier to work on
and are of much better quality then the new ones in the similar price
range, so pick your poison. Buy the new garbage that is getting
slapped together as quickly as they can make them and then sit 6
months to a year waiting for warranty work, or pay much less on an
older higher quality coach, that has been well taken care of, and work
on it yourself, as needed.

In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with buying a well taken care
of Safari!

Good luck and happy hunting!

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, Cummins C8.3-300, Allison
6spd

On 9/9/19, aroostook67@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> Hi all! I have been on the lookout for a Safari diesel motorhome and have
> been doing my research. I have located a very nice 2000 Safari Continental
> 4006. Tastefully updated interior and 96k on a Cat 350hp specs say 41 ft
> long. Tires new 2017. Dealership asking 39,900. Am I correct that the price
> is high? Any known issues with the year or model? I’m impressed with it but
> the length intimidates me as I haven’t driven anything over 30 ft. Long. I
> also have to tow a 5600 pound load trailer and cargo combined. Will it be
> underpowered for that? I sure appreciate input!
>
> Vince Brunette. Silver City, NM
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: aroostook67@...
>
> Community email addresses:
> Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
> Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
> Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
> List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com
>
> Shortcut URL to this page:
> http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>
'
bilmac36 .

Post by bilmac36 . »

'Vince, My thoughts are similar to Taylor's and he put them in a nice format?
I would add, outside some financing issue you may be have through the dealer purchase, I don't see an advantage in purchasing the unit at that price. I'd love to think they hold their value to this extent, but I'm not sure for a 19 year old unit that price is reasonable. Of course, a dealer who is good with human interaction may convince you it is the golden egg. Even though I have noticed a significant up tick in the prices of these mid level high end coaches I'd say this one is overly priced.  When I'm willing to spend this kind of money on a rig that moves then I shop far and wide. After all, the joy of buying may be the trip home in it.
Is your current 30' a wide body? The 40'+ rig wide body takes up a full lane on country roads so you have to be more mindful than ever when piloting one. The extra 10'-11' in length is amplified with your trailer behind it. I agree that you either need to test drive or rent one this size before buying.
Also, what isn't mentioned is where the coach has spent most of its life? How is the undercarriage? I have been under coaches and autos I would not want regardless of the deal they offered. Recommend any rig you purchase you do a thorough undercarriage inspection as this is what the coach resides on and will takes the brunt of the road abuse. Through on some old clothing, or grab some card board to lie on and a good flash light. 
All said, it ultimately boils down to whether this is within your budget, heck it may be pocket change to you, but if not then I would take a lot of notes and keep comparing it to others.  

Respectfully, Willie, 1995 40’ Continental, 8.3L Cummins, Allison 6 spd,   Owned since 1999/2000. Central Time Zone. 
On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 2:12 PM aroostook67@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Vince
As John mentioned you might find it worthwhile to contact Bill and ask him for some pictures and descriptions of his coach. Bill is a body and mechanic expert, he does Porche show cars for the wealthy. He has gone thru his coach and has repaired and upgraded everything that needed change. Even if you are not interested in this coach having his check list will give you a very good idea what it takes to bring one of these coaches up to dependable roadworthy condition. I worked with Bill and John on a number of issues on my coach, ...for the past two years. As mentioned look carefully of the tree diagram on my site. This will give you an idea of what may be involved. Don't be discouraged, but be aware.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
On September 9, 2019 6:19:42 PM "TD sdjhtm@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Vince,

Taylor and Robert both make very valid points, even though some of
them are not as bad as they sound.
As Robert mentioned, the files section on this site, has a check list
form that you can download, print out, and take with you when you go
RV hunting. I would strongly suggest that you print it out and use it.
I would also suggest you try to contact Kent ( can't remember his last
name), he is a member of this group and has sold Safari coaches for
many years. He knows all their weaknesses and strengths and can tell
you what to look out for.

Also, something to consider is what Jeff mentioned. Bill Edwards, a
member on this group is selling his coach. I have seen this coach in
person (and have ridden in it), and can vouch that this coach is a
beautiful turn key coach, or as turn key as reality and "Murphy"
allows. It is a 2001 Safari Zanzibar, 39 feet long, two slides, diesel
generator, torsional - VelvetRide suspension, with a supplemental air
bag suspension, for a real smooth ride. And...(I'm kind of jealous of
this one), the coach has a gorgeous walnut interior, all real walnut
wood.
Bill is ''Mr. Redundancy", he has gone through every nook and cranny
on this coach and has repaired, improved, and updated every possible
thing that could affect the dependability and/or function of this
coach. He even upgraded the brake rotors to cryogenic rotors for
better durability and performance! I think he might be the only member
on here to have gone to such an extreme. This should give you an idea
of how meticulous he is. I would suggest you send him a PM and at
least go look at it before you make your final decision.
In any case, what ever you decide, be sure to look at everything
really thoroughly, and use that check list! These are amazing
beautiful coaches, that have a great layout (roomy) and are built like
a brick $hit house. If you find one that has been taken care off, it
will bring you many years of joy and memories. And these coaches also
usually give you the best bang for the buck.

As for older coaches braking down? Well, like cars and houses, they
all need work and TLC. New are old, they all have their issues, the
difference is, with the old ones, usually they are easier to work on
and are of much better quality then the new ones in the similar price
range, so pick your poison. Buy the new garbage that is getting
slapped together as quickly as they can make them and then sit 6
months to a year waiting for warranty work, or pay much less on an
older higher quality coach, that has been well taken care of, and work
on it yourself, as needed.

In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with buying a well taken care
of Safari!

Good luck and happy hunting!

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, Cummins C8.3-300, Allison
6spd

On 9/9/19, aroostook67@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> Hi all! I have been on the lookout for a Safari diesel motorhome and have
> been doing my research. I have located a very nice 2000 Safari Continental
> 4006. Tastefully updated interior and 96k on a Cat 350hp specs say 41 ft
> long. Tires new 2017. Dealership asking 39,900. Am I correct that the price
> is high? Any known issues with the year or model? I’m impressed with it but
> the length intimidates me as I haven’t driven anything over 30 ft. Long. I
> also have to tow a 5600 pound load trailer and cargo combined. Will it be
> underpowered for that? I sure appreciate input!
>
> Vince Brunette. Silver City, NM
>
> Posted by: aroostook67@...
>
> Community email addresses:
> Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
> Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
> Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
> List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com
>
> Shortcut URL to this page:
> http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>

'
suvalco

Post by suvalco »

'There are some decent coaches still out there I just picked up a 2001 zanzibar with 27000 miles new tires, new bfgoodrich sway bars. runs like a dream low $30.000.good luck
'
iradiate1967

Post by iradiate1967 »

'Thanks for all the great replies! I have decided to wait and see if I can obtain the coach from Bill rather than have to do all the great work he had already done to something else. This is a great group!

Vince'