Re: Vacuum breaker valve in "tank clean" pipe.

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Dick Missett

Re: What is the purpose of attached item?

Post by Dick Missett »

'That devise is a back flow preventer anti syphon valve that goes between your quickie flush inlet and the black tank flusher. On my 98 it is located behind the back panel inside the medicine cabinet. Some years ago I had what I thought was a ceiling leak in close proximity to the corner of my shower skylight and decided to remove the back inside panel of my medicine cabinet and viola it was that Watts Vacuum breaker that was leaking. I replaced it (Google Watts Anti Syphon Vacuum Breaker ) several weeks later when I attempted to flush my black tank it would not allow the water into the tank !^&*#$@. I removed the valve from the tank inself expecting to find the holes on the inlet pipe blocked. They were not %#&*^@. Turns out when I replaced the Watts Valve there was a fitting that I did not realize was a check valve when I reinstalled it and I installed it backwards. (Duh!) I personally would not eliminate it they are not that expensive and readily available JWIWD. (BTW there is also a rebuild kit available for that valve but I went for complete new one)

Dick Missett
98 Sahara 300 CAT. On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 3:05:20 PM EDT, burch1945 burch1945@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I am doing some repair work and found This item is in the wall behind my kitchen cabinets. What on Earth is it for?   See picture.
 Thanks, Joe Burch1996 Sahara3126 cat

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8. '
Joe Burch

Post by Joe Burch »

' Dick, I am thinking about eliminating it.  When I tried to use the tank flush, it was putting about a gallon of water a minute into the wall behind the kitchen cabinets.  A few times like this and this could lead to wall damage that would run into the thousands of dollars as the upper and lower kitchen cabinets would need to be removed in order to repair.  Of course I would do the work myself but it would still be a massive job that I truly want to avoid.  I am not a plumber but in order for it to siphon out into the fresh water hose, it would need to lift almost 6 feet straight up.  I don't think this is likely to happen (am I wrong?). Plus doesn't this feed into the top of the black tank?  If this is the case, in order to siphon the black tank would also need to be full which it would not be.  If if develop an odor problem, I will put a cap on the tank flush inlet.Joe Burch1996 Sahara3126 Cat
On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 11:00:21 PM EDT, Dick Missett dngmissett@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

That devise is a back flow preventer anti syphon valve that goes between your quickie flush inlet and the black tank flusher. On my 98 it is located behind the back panel inside the medicine cabinet. Some years ago I had what I thought was a ceiling leak in close proximity to the corner of my shower skylight and decided to remove the back inside panel of my medicine cabinet and viola it was that Watts Vacuum breaker that was leaking. I replaced it (Google Watts Anti Syphon Vacuum Breaker ) several weeks later when I attempted to flush my black tank it would not allow the water into the tank !^&*#$@. I removed the valve from the tank inself expecting to find the holes on the inlet pipe blocked. They were not %#&*^@. Turns out when I replaced the Watts Valve there was a fitting that I did not realize was a check valve when I reinstalled it and I installed it backwards. (Duh!) I personally would not eliminate it they are not that expensive and readily available JWIWD. (BTW there is also a rebuild kit available for that valve but I went for complete new one)

Dick Missett
98 Sahara 300 CAT. On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 3:05:20 PM EDT, burch1945 burch1945@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I am doing some repair work and found This item is in the wall behind my kitchen cabinets. What on Earth is it for?   See picture.

James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'

Joe,

It is apparent your back flow preventer is defective as it is basically a check valve that would allow water to go into the tank but stop any flow from the tank back into the hose. I'm sure age and possibly lack of use has something to do with it.

You are interpreting siphon wrong. In the case of these coaches, with the hose connected to the flush port, if the water pressure failed, the contents of the tank could flow backwards through the hose and back into the fresh water system if the back flow
preventer was not present or operating. Obviously, this would not be good.

I don't understand the 6 foot up comment as I have never seen a campground with the water supply set that high. The feed for the flush is near the bottom of the tank.

Please do not try to use the tank flush without some type of back flow preventer in place.

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

On 9/12/2019 5:58 AM, Joe Burch burch1945@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Dick, I am thinking about eliminating it.  When I tried to use the tank flush, it was putting about a gallon of water a minute into the wall behind the kitchen cabinets.  A few times like this and this could lead to
wall damage that would run into the thousands of dollars as the upper and lower kitchen cabinets would need to be removed in order to repair.  Of course I would do the work myself but it would still be a massive job that I truly want to avoid.  I am not a
plumber but in order for it to siphon out into the fresh water hose, it would need to lift almost 6 feet straight up.  I don't think this is likely to happen (am I wrong?). Plus doesn't this feed into the
top of the black tank?  If this is the case, in order to siphon the black tank would also need to be full which it would not be.  If if develop an odor problem, I will put a cap on the tank flush inlet.
Joe Burch
1996 Sahara
3126 Cat

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 11:00:21 PM EDT, Dick Missett dngmissett@... [Safarifriends] Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:

That devise is a back flow preventer anti syphon valve that goes between your quickie flush inlet and the black tank flusher. On my 98 it is located behind the back panel inside the medicine cabinet. Some years ago I had what I thought was a ceiling leak
in close proximity to the corner of my shower skylight and decided to remove the back inside panel of my medicine cabinet and viola it was that Watts Vacuum breaker that was leaking. I replaced it (Google Watts Anti Syphon Vacuum Breaker ) several weeks later
when I attempted to flush my black tank it would not allow the water into the tank !^&*#$@. I removed the valve from the tank inself expecting to find the holes on the inlet pipe blocked. They were not %#&*^@. Turns out when I replaced the Watts Valve there
was a fitting that I did not realize was a check valve when I reinstalled it and I installed it backwards. (Duh!) I personally would not eliminate it they are not that expensive and readily available JWIWD. (BTW there is also a rebuild kit available for that
valve but I went for complete new one)

Dick Missett
98 Sahara 300 CAT.

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 3:05:20 PM EDT, burch1945 burch1945@... [Safarifriends] Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:

I am doing some repair work and found 
This item is in the wall behind my kitchen cabinets. What on Earth is it for?   See picture.

Thanks, 
Joe Burch
1996 Sahara
3126 cat

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8.

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
mel96safari

Re: What is the purpose of attached item?

Post by mel96safari »

'Joe Burch
1.) Repair kits are available for the Watts 288A anti-siphon vacuum breaker: https://tinyurl.com/yyjqkuar
2.) A vacuum breaker is an attachment commonly placed in the water line to a RV's waste tank flusher/cleaner waterline to prevent sewage contaminated water from being siphoned backward into the public, municipal or campground, drinking water system. ...A vacuum breaker prevents contamination of the fresh water system, (municipal or campground), should the pressure of the fresh water system drop.
Mel'96 Sahara

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Further investigative work revealed that when I plug water hose into my "tank clean" water port   In the water bay And turn the water on that water comes pouring out of the top of this gidget. I did a Google search on it and it says it is a vacuum breaker valve. Why does one need a vacuum breaker valve in the circuit for the tank clean out ?  wonder what will happen if I just take the whole thing out and throw it away  And just run the line Straight through? Joe Burch, 1996 Sahara 3126 cat

'
mel96safari

Watts 288A vacuum breaker (was What is the purpose of attached item?

Post by mel96safari »

'Gary What you describe is an  AAV (Air Admittance Valve)... used in/for unpressurized drain water systems.The Watts 288A is a vacuum beaker... used in pressurizes water systems
Mel'96 Sahara

It’s used in place of a vent stack so your sink can drain.
Gary
'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'JoePlease don't eliminate it...(either repair it.. replace it,,, or stop using the tank flusher altogether).IMO no coach builder ever included anything that is not required/necessary.
Mel'96 Sahara

Dick, I am thinking about eliminating it. 
Joe Burch1996 Sahara3126 Cat

'
Dick Missett

Post by Dick Missett »

'Joe

When mine failed I had the same leak issue and in my 98 it was located in the wall behind the back panel inside my medicine cabinet. I am not a plumber but my thought is that it is there for a reason that as I understand also protects the water system that you are hooking up to in order to use the black tank flush. It took 20 yrs for mine to fail and was not an expensive item so I'm not about to second guess the engineers who decided it was a necessary addition to the system. I had a good friend in FL last year in an 07 Winnebago Journey who said his flush valve stopped working and would no longer allow water into the tank so based on my past experience we traced the line from his flush inlet and wound up taking a small wall apart behind his dinette and there it was the identical Watts valve that was in my 98 Sahara (his was not leaking) so we swapped it out (Amazon) and viola he was back in business.
Do whatever works for you but I stick to my recommendation since it took 20+ yrs for it to fail and since I'm in the top of the 9th I'm sure I'll never have to address the issue again. Hopefully someone with a better explination of why its there and how it functions will offer input. BTW the input flush sprayer that is attached to my tank is not at the top of the tank but closer to the halfway mark. I had it out thinking the holes were blocked they were not and turns out it was not working because I had reversed a fitting that was plumbed into the Watts valve without realizing the fitting was a ck valve. (Duh!) I would not want to be without a flush system on my black tank.

Dick Missett
98 Sahara 300 CAT On Thursday, September 12, 2019, 7:59:51 AM EDT, Joe Burch burch1945@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Dick, I am thinking about eliminating it.  When I tried to use the tank flush, it was putting about a gallon of water a minute into the wall behind the kitchen cabinets.  A few times like this and this could lead to wall damage that would run into the thousands of dollars as the upper and lower kitchen cabinets would need to be removed in order to repair.  Of course I would do the work myself but it would still be a massive job that I truly want to avoid.  I am not a plumber but in order for it to siphon out into the fresh water hose, it would need to lift almost 6 feet straight up.  I don't think this is likely to happen (am I wrong?). Plus doesn't this feed into the top of the black tank?  If this is the case, in order to siphon the black tank would also need to be full which it would not be.  If if develop an odor problem, I will put a cap on the tank flush inlet.Joe Burch1996 Sahara3126 Cat
On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 11:00:21 PM EDT, Dick Missett dngmissett@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

That devise is a back flow preventer anti syphon valve that goes between your quickie flush inlet and the black tank flusher. On my 98 it is located behind the back panel inside the medicine cabinet. Some years ago I had what I thought was a ceiling leak in close proximity to the corner of my shower skylight and decided to remove the back inside panel of my medicine cabinet and viola it was that Watts Vacuum breaker that was leaking. I replaced it (Google Watts Anti Syphon Vacuum Breaker ) several weeks later when I attempted to flush my black tank it would not allow the water into the tank !^&*#$@. I removed the valve from the tank inself expecting to find the holes on the inlet pipe blocked. They were not %#&*^@. Turns out when I replaced the Watts Valve there was a fitting that I did not realize was a check valve when I reinstalled it and I installed it backwards. (Duh!) I personally would not eliminate it they are not that expensive and readily available JWIWD. (BTW there is also a rebuild kit available for that valve but I went for complete new one)

Dick Missett

Dick Missett

Post by Dick Missett »

'Jim
I think what Joe is referring to with the "6FT up" has to do with the location of the Anti Syphon valve. I know we shared the same 98 Sahara and when mine failed it was located in the upper right hand corner behind the panel inside the medicine cabinet close to the ceiling.

Dick On Thursday, September 12, 2019, 8:49:17 AM EDT, James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Joe,
It is apparent your back flow preventer is defective as it is basically a check valve that would allow water to go into the tank but stop any flow from the tank back into the hose. I'm sure age and possibly lack of use has something to do with it.
You are interpreting siphon wrong. In the case of these coaches, with the hose connected to the flush port, if the water pressure failed, the contents of the tank could flow backwards through the hose and back into the fresh water system if the back flow preventer was not present or operating. Obviously, this would not be good.
I don't understand the 6 foot up comment as I have never seen a campground with the water supply set that high. The feed for the flush is near the bottom of the tank.
Please do not try to use the tank flush without some type of back flow preventer in place.
Jim Exler, Nampa, ID
On 9/12/2019 5:58 AM, Joe Burch burch1945@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
 Dick, I am thinking about eliminating it.  When I tried to use the tank flush, it was putting about a gallon of water a minute into the wall behind the kitchen cabinets.  A few times like this and this could lead to wall damage that would run into the thousands of dollars as the upper and lower kitchen cabinets would need to be removed in order to repair.  Of course I would do the work myself but it would still be a massive job that I truly want to avoid.  I am not a plumber but in order for it to siphon out into the fresh water hose, it would need to lift almost 6 feet straight up.  I don't think this is likely to happen (am I wrong?). Plus doesn't this feed into thetop of the black tank?  If this is the case, in order to siphon the black tank would also need to be full which it would not be.  If if develop an odor problem, I will put a cap on the tank flush inlet.Joe Burch1996 Sahara3126 Cat
On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 11:00:21 PM EDT, Dick Missett dngmissett@... [Safarifriends] Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Dick Missett
98 Sahara 300 CAT. On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 3:05:20 PM EDT, burch1945 burch1945@... [Safarifriends] Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8.
ImageVirus-free. www.avg.com '
Joe Burch

Post by Joe Burch »

' Dick, Jim, and allThanks for the input and suggestions.   I have removed the valve from the wall behind the kitchen cabinets and reconnected the pipe.  The reason is simple:  When the valve  fails it fills the wall up with water, at least that is what mine did.  I will put a one way valve immediately behind the water service bay/panel.  That way if it malfunctions at least one can see it and get too it easily..  It took me several hours to figure out exactly what was causing this leak and where it was located. I had to first remove my water heater and look up the wall another three feet to  even see where the water was coming from.  If this does not work satisfactorily, I can put a Watts valve back in to the original position now that I know where it was located.  I am like Dick in that I am in the last quarter of my life at 74 and I am sure a new valve would outlast me.   Joe Burch1996 Sahara3126 cat
On Thursday, September 12, 2019, 10:22:48 PM EDT, Dick Missett dngmissett@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Joe

When mine failed I had the same leak issue and in my 98 it was located in the wall behind the back panel inside my medicine cabinet. I am not a plumber but my thought is that it is there for a reason that as I understand also protects the water system that you are hooking up to in order to use the black tank flush. It took 20 yrs for mine to fail and was not an expensive item so I'm not about to second guess the engineers who decided it was a necessary addition to the system. I had a good friend in FL last year in an 07 Winnebago Journey who said his flush valve stopped working and would no longer allow water into the tank so based on my past experience we traced the line from his flush inlet and wound up taking a small wall apart behind his dinette and there it was the identical Watts valve that was in my 98 Sahara (his was not leaking) so we swapped it out (Amazon) and viola he was back in business.
Do whatever works for you but I stick to my recommendation since it took 20+ yrs for it to fail and since I'm in the top of the 9th I'm sure I'll never have to address the issue again. Hopefully someone with a better explination of why its there and how it functions will offer input. BTW the input flush sprayer that is attached to my tank is not at the top of the tank but closer to the halfway mark. I had it out thinking the holes were blocked they were not and turns out it was not working because I had reversed a fitting that was plumbed into the Watts valve without realizing the fitting was a ck valve. (Duh!) I would not want to be without a flush system on my black tank.

Dick Missett
98 Sahara 300 CAT On Thursday, September 12, 2019, 7:59:51 AM EDT, Joe Burch burch1945@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Dick, I am thinking about eliminating it.  When I tried to use the tank flush, it was putting about a gallon of water a minute into the wall behind the kitchen cabinets.  A few times like this and this could lead to wall damage that would run into the thousands of dollars as the upper and lower kitchen cabinets would need to be removed in order to repair.  Of course I would do the work myself but it would still be a massive job that I truly want to avoid.  I am not a plumber but in order for it to siphon out into the fresh water hose, it would need to lift almost 6 feet straight up.  I don't think this is likely to happen (am I wrong?). Plus doesn't this feed into the top of the black tank?  If this is the case, in order to siphon the black tank would also need to be full which it would not be.  If if develop an odor problem, I will put a cap on the tank flush inlet.Joe Burch1996 Sahara3126 Cat

Dick Missett