Re: Loose steering column

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
johncochran1954

Loose steering column

Post by johncochran1954 »

'
I have just gotten my first motorhome, a 1993 Safari Kalahari 30 Diesel.  The steering is good, but the steering column is loose and moves more than an inch in any sideways direction.  I have not brought the coach home yet but suspect a supporting bracket is loose or broken.  Just seeing what knowledge my new friends might have on this site.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.'
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'I am not sure if you mean an inch of rotational play in the wheel, or an of horizontal lateral play in the upper steering shaft. The following paragraph addresses the rotational play.  The third paragraph address the lateral play.
If you able, get on a creeper and with someone inside with the engine running, have them turn the steering wheel back and forth within the “play zone”, watch the movement in the steering linkage from the steering box arm to each steering knuckle. Any worn linkage joints should become evident.  If the inch of steering wheel play does not cause any real movement of the steering box arm, the wear is in the steering box.  An inch of rotational play is not extreme in a truck chassis.  The steering will not be sac tight as in passenger car.  A competent mechanic should be consulted at this point to determine if there are any adjustments in your steering box to reduce that play. 
Lateral play of an inch is a problem.  Have someone push and pull on the steering wheel while you lay on the coach floor with a good light looking up the steering column. An inch of play should be evident whether it is the top bearing, the tilt wheel mechanism, or the framing of the steering column. v/r, 
Taylor Hudson‘98 Sahara Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126acquired 2018
On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 8:06 PM johncochran1954@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I have just gotten my first motorhome, a 1993 Safari Kalahari 30 Diesel.  The steering is good, but the steering column is loose and moves more than an inch in any sideways direction.  I have not brought the coach home yet but suspect a supporting bracket is loose or broken.  Just seeing what knowledge my new friends might have on this site.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
'
johncochran1954

Post by johncochran1954 »

'Thank you Taylor. Your information is helpful. Luckily I’ve found another owner with same model Kalahari and we working together to find the problem. I’m confident a supporting bracket is loose or broken which I can fix. Again thank you for your help.'