Re: Velvet ride shocks

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
chvet73

Velvet ride shocks

Post by chvet73 »

'Just about ready to install my new Koni shocks. Is there anything I need to know before I tackle that job. I looked in the files and could not find anything there.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride'
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

'Go ahead a day or too early and spray some penetrating oil on the nuts and bolts you’ll be dealing with.  May want to repeat. Of course breaking them loose is all dependent on where the coach has resided in years past.
Also, it is much easier access if you remove your tire/rim. (If you do remove is good idea to keep tire standing up leaning on something as they tend to be heavy to lift once horizontal.) To do this use good jack stands to brace front axle. And you’ll want a good tool to remove the lugs. There are numerous YouTube videos comparing some of the high impact drivers. I can tell you definitely the Milwaukee mdl 2767-22 does the job very effectively. You will also need the correct size socket (memory is saying 34mm, but could be mistaken.)
R, Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd 
Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 19, 2019, at 3:28 PM, chvet73@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Just about ready to install my new Koni shocks. Is there anything I need to know before I tackle that job. I looked in the files and could not find anything there.

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride '
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
TD

Post by TD »

'Mark,

Make sure the shocks are set at maximum dampening before you install
them. They come from the factory set at least dampening.
Also, make sure you received the correct ones

Front: 88-1641SP3

Rear: 88-1458SP1

Air tools will make the job easier and more quick...

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, Cummins C8.3-300, Allison
6spd

On 9/19/19, chvet73@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> Just about ready to install my new Koni shocks. Is there anything I need to
> know before I tackle that job. I looked in the files and could not find
> anything there.
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
> 1999 Sahara 32’
> Velvet ride
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: chvet73@...
>
> Community email addresses:
> Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
> Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
> Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
> List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com
>
> Shortcut URL to this page:
> http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>
'
Craig Burrell

Post by Craig Burrell »

' big cheater bar if you do not have air. 
On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 02:38:15 PM CDT, chvet73@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Just about ready to install my new Koni shocks. Is there anything I need to know before I tackle that job. I looked in the files and could not find anything there.

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride '
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Adjust the shocks to their stiffest position before you install.  Instructions in the box leave a lot to be desired.  Hope you ordered the shocks by part numbers on this site as opposed to ordering the ones Koni's chart shows..   

Gary'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 4:22 PM Craig Burrell technolog1@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

big cheater bar if you do not have air. 
On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 02:38:15 PM CDT, chvet73@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
TD

Post by TD »

'Getting to the shocks is not difficult and sure isn't worth removing
those big tires, unless you need to remove them for other repairs any.
JMHO

John
95 Serengeti Cummins 8.3
Allison 6spd

On 9/19/19, bilmac36 bilmac36@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> Go ahead a day or too early and spray some penetrating oil on the nuts and
> bolts you’ll be dealing with. May want to repeat. Of course breaking them
> loose is all dependent on where the coach has resided in years past..
>
> Also, it is much easier access if you remove your tire/rim. (If you do
> remove is good idea to keep tire standing up leaning on something as they
> tend to be heavy to lift once horizontal.) To do this use good jack stands
> to brace front axle. And you’ll want a good tool to remove the lugs. There
> are numerous YouTube videos comparing some of the high impact drivers. I can
> tell you definitely the Milwaukee mdl 2767-22 does the job very effectively.
> You will also need the correct size socket (memory is saying 34mm, but could
> be mistaken.)
> R, Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Sep 19, 2019, at 3:28 PM, chvet73@... [Safarifriends]
>> wrote:
>>
>> Just about ready to install my new Koni shocks. Is there anything I need
>> to know before I tackle that job. I looked in the files and could not find
>> anything there.
>> Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark
>> 1999 Sahara 32’
>> Velvet ride
>>
>>
>
'
robertfury@gmail.com

Post by robertfury@gmail.com »

'I would recommend sanding any rust off the shock mount rods and greasing them as well. Will help them go on smoothly. I didn’t, got my shocks halfway on, had to pull off because I couldn’t get them to seat fully. Pulled off, greased and sanded, they went on smoothly.

Robert'
Mark Cushman

Post by Mark Cushman »

'Some of you may recall my previous fight with the rats. Unfortunately today when I went up to the rig I discovered that the rats had returned, so that will delay the Koni project.  I thought I had that cured.  Can’t find how they are getting in and my previous repair is still intact.  Thanks all for your advice.  Part numbers are from this site.  I’m only doing the front. The back are the correct ones.  Although I am going to take them loose to check their string.  Unfortunately I do not have anywhere to jack the Safari up and remove a tire.  My storage is on gravel. I was wondering if it is necessary to support the frame when the shock is removed?I downloaded the setting instructions from the Koni site. Easier to understand.  When I was a student at Ohio State, over 40 years ago, I put a set of Gabriel Adjustamatics, good shock that’s no longer made,  it was the poor mans Koni, on my car. Same adjustment procedure.  
Mark1999 Sahara “Ratmobile” 32’

Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 19, 2019, at 1:36 PM, Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Adjust the shocks to their stiffest position before you install.  Instructions in the box leave a lot to be desired.  Hope you ordered the shocks by part numbers on this site as opposed to ordering the ones Koni's chart shows..   

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 4:22 PM Craig Burrell technolog1@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Mark there is no structural benefit from the shocks. They only control the bounce and rebound. It is not at all necessary to remove the wheel to replace them. No need to support the coach in any manner.
Bill Edwards1999 Panther

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 4:37 PM, Mark Cushman chvet73@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Some of you may recall my previous fight with the rats. Unfortunately today when I went up to the rig I discovered that the rats had returned, so that will delay the Koni project.  I thought I had that cured.  Can’t find how they are getting in and my previous repair is still intact.  Thanks all for your advice.  Part numbers are from this site.  I’m only doing the front. The back are the correct ones.  Although I am going to take them loose to check their string.  Unfortunately I do not have anywhere to jack the Safari up and remove a tire.  My storage is on gravel. I was wondering if it is necessary to support the frame when the shock is removed?I downloaded the setting instructions from the Koni site. Easier to understand.  When I was a student at Ohio State, over 40 years ago, I put a set of Gabriel Adjustamatics, good shock that’s no longer made,  it was the poor mans Koni, on my car. Same adjustment procedure.  

Sent from my iPhone

Adjust the shocks to their stiffest position before you install.  Instructions in the box leave a lot to be desired.  Hope you ordered the shocks by part numbers on this site as opposed to ordering the ones Koni's chart shows..   

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
'
Mark Cushman

Post by Mark Cushman »

'Thanks Bill. That’s what I was wondering. 
Mark1999 Safari 32’

Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 20, 2019, at 5:36 AM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Mark there is no structural benefit from the shocks. They only control the bounce and rebound. It is not at all necessary to remove the wheel to replace them. No need to support the coach in any manner.
Bill Edwards1999 Panther

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 4:37 PM, Mark Cushman chvet73@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Some of you may recall my previous fight with the rats. Unfortunately today when I went up to the rig I discovered that the rats had returned, so that will delay the Koni project.  I thought I had that cured.  Can’t find how they are getting in and my previous repair is still intact.  Thanks all for your advice.  Part numbers are from this site.  I’m only doing the front. The back are the correct ones.  Although I am going to take them loose to check their string.  Unfortunately I do not have anywhere to jack the Safari up and remove a tire.  My storage is on gravel. I was wondering if it is necessary to support the frame when the shock is removed?I downloaded the setting instructions from the Koni site. Easier to understand.  When I was a student at Ohio State, over 40 years ago, I put a set of Gabriel Adjustamatics, good shock that’s no longer made,  it was the poor mans Koni, on my car. Same adjustment procedure.  

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage

'