Re: Velvet ride shocks

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
John Rowin

Post by John Rowin »

' You just saved him a lot of work. 
John & Marths Rowin 3000 Safari Continental Panther 42’

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
On Friday, September 20, 2019, 7:36 AM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Mark there is no structural benefit from the shocks. They only control the bounce and rebound. It is not at all necessary to remove the wheel to replace them. No need to support the coach in any manner.
Bill Edwards1999 Panther

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 4:37 PM, Mark Cushman chvet73@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Some of you may recall my previous fight with the rats. Unfortunately today when I went up to the rig I discovered that the rats had returned, so that will delay the Koni project.  I thought I had that cured.  Can’t find how they are getting in and my previous repair is still intact.  Thanks all for your advice.  Part numbers are from this site.  I’m only doing the front. The back are the correct ones.  Although I am going to take them loose to check their string.  Unfortunately I do not have anywhere to jack the Safari up and remove a tire.  My storage is on gravel. I was wondering if it is necessary to support the frame when the shock is removed?I downloaded the setting instructions from the Koni site. Easier to understand.  When I was a student at Ohio State, over 40 years ago, I put a set of Gabriel Adjustamatics, good shock that’s no longer made,  it was the poor mans Koni, on my car. Same adjustment procedure.  
Mark1999 Sahara “Ratmobile” 32’

Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 19, 2019, at 1:36 PM, Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Adjust the shocks to their stiffest position before you install.  Instructions in the box leave a lot to be desired.  Hope you ordered the shocks by part numbers on this site as opposed to ordering the ones Koni's chart shows..   

Gary'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 4:22 PM Craig Burrell technolog1@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

big cheater bar if you do not have air. 
On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 02:38:15 PM CDT, chvet73@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Just about ready to install my new Koni shocks. Is there anything I need to know before I tackle that job. I looked in the files and could not find anything there.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Mark
I have found myself in situations where there was no alternative but to work in gravel and soft dirt. I have lifted my coach with the built in jacks and air/hydraulic jacks. I used 8"x8" blocks under the jacks and have also used (6)2x8s in a cross pattern on mud and gravel screwed together with deck screws. The screws I believe are important. I prefer the multiple 2x8's because it is easy to get a a large surface area, I found 2 rows to be enough. You don't need 2x8s you can use 2x6s, it is the cross pattern and screwing the boards together that is important.
I have been avoiding thinking about this, but I have pictures of extracting my coach impaled on the side of a 30+ degree slope. For same reason my screen saver wants to torment me regularly with these, even though there are 100's of others to choose from. But there are some life saving points that might help someone else. I will put these together and update the web site in my signature.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org

On September 19, 2019 3:37:51 PM "Mark Cushman chvet73@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Some of you may recall my previous fight with the rats. Unfortunately today when I went up to the rig I discovered that the rats had returned, so that will delay the Koni project.  I thought I had that cured.  Can’t find how they are getting in and my previous repair is still intact.  Thanks all for your advice.  Part numbers are from this site.  I’m only doing the front. The back are the correct ones.  Although I am going to take them loose to check their string.  Unfortunately I do not have anywhere to jack the Safari up and remove a tire.  My storage is on gravel. I was wondering if it is necessary to support the frame when the shock is removed?I downloaded the setting instructions from the Koni site. Easier to understand.  When I was a student at Ohio State, over 40 years ago, I put a set of Gabriel Adjustamatics, good shock that’s no longer made,  it was the poor mans Koni, on my car. Same adjustment procedure.  

Sent from my iPhone

Adjust the shocks to their stiffest position before you install.  Instructions in the box leave a lot to be desired.  Hope you ordered the shocks by part numbers on this site as opposed to ordering the ones Koni's chart shows..   

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 4:22 PM Craig Burrell technolog1@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 02:38:15 PM CDT, chvet73@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Just about ready to install my new Koni shocks. Is there anything I need to know before I tackle that job. I looked in the files and could not find anything there.

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage

'
Mark Cushman

Post by Mark Cushman »

'Thanks Robert.  I need to start looking at a large jack.  All my stuff is geared towards cars.  Although I have 3/4 socket set and large wrenches.  No 3/4 impact yet.  
Mark The 1999 Safari Ratmobile 32’

Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 20, 2019, at 9:56 AM, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Mark
I have found myself in situations where there was no alternative but to work in gravel and soft dirt. I have lifted my coach with the built in jacks and air/hydraulic jacks. I used 8"x8" blocks under the jacks and have also used (6)2x8s in a cross pattern on mud and gravel screwed together with deck screws. The screws I believe are important. I prefer the multiple 2x8's because it is easy to get a a large surface area, I found 2 rows to be enough. You don't need 2x8s you can use 2x6s, it is the cross pattern and screwing the boards together that is important.
I have been avoiding thinking about this, but I have pictures of extracting my coach impaled on the side of a 30+ degree slope. For same reason my screen saver wants to torment me regularly with these, even though there are 100's of others to choose from. But there are some life saving points that might help someone else. I will put these together and update the web site in my signature.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison

On September 19, 2019 3:37:51 PM "Mark Cushman chvet73@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride

--
Gary Smith
ImageImage

'
wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

'With the Velvet Ride/Torsilastic suspension, be sure that you check and adjust your RIDE HEIGHT.
Ride height has a material effect on ride and handling.
'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' You do not need a 3/4 inch impact, 1/2 Makita big one will do just fine and no jack is needed!to change the shocks...where is this info coming from?????????????? Besides the nuts ar inch and a half on my 2001 Z I think the right guy justcame along and is going to get one nice coach.
Bill Edwards1999 Panther Nd a Z for a little while longer

On Friday, September 20, 2019, 12:06 PM, Mark Cushman chvet73@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Thanks Robert.  I need to start looking at a large jack.  All my stuff is geared towards cars.  Although I have 3/4 socket set and large wrenches.  No 3/4 impact yet.  

Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 20, 2019, at 9:56 AM, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Mark

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage

'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' John, 
Only if he listens and judging by some of the later questions, responses and comments that is in question. But hey after nearly 40 years inthe mechanical  trades what do I know. You can lead them to water but can not make them drink. Perception is every thing.
Bill Edwards1999 Panther

On Friday, September 20, 2019, 10:24 AM, John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
You just saved him a lot of work. 
John & Marths Rowin 3000 Safari Continental Panther 42’

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, September 20, 2019, 7:36 AM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Mark there is no structural benefit from the shocks. They only control the bounce and rebound. It is not at all necessary to remove the wheel to replace them. No need to support the coach in any manner.
Bill Edwards1999 Panther

On Thursday, September 19, 2019, 4:37 PM, Mark Cushman chvet73@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage
'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' As Brett indicates/states, ride height is the most important factor here to establishing the desired ride!
Bill Edwards1999 Panther

On Friday, September 20, 2019, 6:02 PM, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
You do not need a 3/4 inch impact, 1/2 Makita big one will do just fine and no jack is needed!to change the shocks...where is this info coming from?????????????? Besides the nuts ar inch and a half on my 2001 Z I think the right guy justcame along and is going to get one nice coach.
Bill Edwards1999 Panther Nd a Z for a little while longer

On Friday, September 20, 2019, 12:06 PM, Mark Cushman chvet73@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Thanks Robert.  I need to start looking at a large jack.  All my stuff is geared towards cars.  Although I have 3/4 socket set and large wrenches.  No 3/4 impact yet.  

Sent from my iPhone

Mark
I have found myself in situations where there was no alternative but to work in gravel and soft dirt.. I have lifted my coach with the built in jacks and air/hydraulic jacks. I used 8"x8" blocks under the jacks and have also used (6)2x8s in a cross pattern on mud and gravel screwed together with deck screws. The screws I believe are important. I prefer the multiple 2x8's because it is easy to get a a large surface area, I found 2 rows to be enough. You don't need 2x8s you can use 2x6s, it is the cross pattern and screwing the boards together that is important.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

'
Mark
I bought two 20T jacks... The first was a hand pump, I got the second which was an air compressor hydraulic after the coach fell off the first jack as I was getting under to operate the handle. With this weight I would recommend the air system. Add an extension hose and you can lift the coach without being under it. About $40 difference, well worth the safety factor. I didn't get it until it was almost too late.

On September 20, 2019 11:06:38 AM "Mark Cushman chvet73@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

Sent from my iPhone

Mark

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Sahara 32’
Velvet ride
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage

'