Re: Hurricane Heater

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
tworootless@outlook.com

Hurricane Heater

Post by tworootless@outlook.com »

'Still learning about this heating system I'm not use to. According to the manual, both underbed valves should be horizontal, or both pointing to the side windows. Compared to the propane furnaces', Hurricane takes a heap of time before descent warm air enters the coach. Normal I ask?There's also a small computer style fan between the toilet and the bath. That does not work and I have yet to test it. Should that fan come on when the high/low switch is activated?  Plus not much warm air coming out of vent below the sink. Thanks'
tworootless@outlook.com

Post by tworootless@outlook.com »

'Regarding my Hurricane Heater Posting  Bob DeSanti/ 2000 Safari Continental MH'
jeffjordan1972@gmail.com

Post by jeffjordan1972@gmail.com »

'Bob,
The Hurricane valve should under the bed allow for “summer” mode and “winter” mode. The loop into the cabin of the coach is closed in summer mode to allow you to use the engine heat/hurricane to generate “endless” hot water for your domestic water without causing heat in the registers.

Regarding the fans, the Dometic thermostats that control your roof AC units also control your Hurricane furnace. By turning in the Hurricane system, the boiler will fire to heat the closed system to its operating temperature regardless of your thermostats are calling for heat. If you have turned your fan switches on, AND your Dometic thermostats call for heat because the thermostat set point is cooler than the temperature of your cabins, then the fans will kick on. IF you have set your valves under the bed to “winter” mode then you will feel heat from the registers. Yes, it takes a while to get warm air from the registers, especially compared to the propane furnaces because it takes far longer to heat the same volume of water than it does to heat air. Hurricane must heat the water going to the cabin air heat exchangers whereas the propane just heats the air directly.

Hope this helps

Jeff ‘99 Sahara With Hurricane CAT 3126b Allison trans'
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

'As Jeff said, yes it is normal for the system to take a while before producing heat from a cold start. I'm not familiar with the small computer style fan you are talking about. Can you post a photo?
A could things that may cause reduced output from a register.
1. Dust/Fuzz buildup blocking the back of the coils.2. Air in the hot water loop
I occasionally clean out the coils with a can of compressed air and a vacuum nozzle. The system should self purge air in the loop as long as the coolant level is correct. Check your overflow tank level. If your Hurricane also heats your hot water you need to use non toxic coolant on the rare, off chance the heat exchanger in your hot water heater leaks coolant into you domestic hot water.
One thing I did to improve heat transport was to add pipe wrap to the PEX tubing especially where it travels through the open air going under the coach to the front register. Same with the hoses traveling to the engine. Pipe wrap and zip ties are cheap and I'd rather the heat goes to the inside of the coach instead of trying to heat the outside air.
Tom Masterson1998 Serengeti 3706'
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com

Hurricane Heater

Post by robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com »

'
Hi

I just repaired my controller board on the Hurricane heater, and put in new brushes in the pump in the heater bay. I have some questions that I can't get from the manual. I have saved Tom's posts on the heater and there are some issues I don't understand. It seems the hurricane is the next thing in the list to be thoroughly gone over. The brushes were just at the point of damaging the armature there wasn't even 1 mm of brush left. I will post a presentation on the work once it is all complete. I made new brushes given I didn't have a new set and these are $70 a pair.

Here is my questions. 
  1. In Toms post there is mentioned a recirc pump for the engine heat, I can't find that and think that those brushes will need replacing as well. Does anyone know where this is located?l Right now the control panel in the cabin says the engine heat is off. 
  2. The valves don't look right under the bed, both are open, I think one should be closed, does anyone know the correct valve position?
  3. There are two tanks in the engine bay under the bed, one is an expansion tank that is metal, the other is plastic is empty and has no cap on it. There is a lot of stress about the tank being half full in the manual and mine is empty. What cap does this plastic use, and where can I get one?
  4. What antifreeze fluid is in the heater system and how do I know? Should I just add water and see how much needs to be added to see something in the tank? 
  5. The control panel LED indicates "Remote Open" near the bottom of the panel. Is this an error? What does this mean? When i turn on the panel in the cabinet by the fridge the hurricane starts up normally now and has a green light on. So I assumed the remote panel was working. I don't see any error codes. Is this an error code, ie "Remote Open"?
  6. The manual states very emphatically not to turn power off the hurricane when it is running or purging, however my salesman switch powers off the hurricane. Should this be changed to a continuous 12v circuit?
Thanks.
Robert and Bev2000 Safari Continental3126B
'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Robert,  
one valve should be closed, One is summer and the other circulates the fluid for winter
Plastic bottle is overflow like in a car.
There is no secondary pump for engine heat
Metal tank should always be completely full, NO air  system hates air It is a real project to purge the air with out a purge valve body and a secondary pump to pump BOILER ANTI FREEZE into the system from another source and back to that source.

Bill Edwards1999 SMC Panther
On Sunday, October 20, 2019, 01:00:37 AM MDT, robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi

I just repaired my controller board on the Hurricane heater, and put in new brushes in the pump in the heater bay. I have some questions that I can't get from the manual. I have saved Tom's posts on the heater and there are some issues I don't understand. It seems the hurricane is the next thing in the list to be thoroughly gone over. The brushes were just at the point of damaging the armature there wasn't even 1 mm of brush left. I will post a presentation on the work once it is all complete. I made new brushes given I didn't have a new set and these are $70 a pair.

Here is my questions. 
  1. In Toms post there is mentioned a recirc pump for the engine heat, I can't find that and think that those brushes will need replacing as well. Does anyone know where this is located?l Right now the control panel in the cabin says the engine heat is off. 
  2. The valves don't look right under the bed, both are open, I think one should be closed, does anyone know the correct valve position?
  3. There are two tanks in the engine bay under the bed, one is an expansion tank that is metal, the other is plastic is empty and has no cap on it. There is a lot of stress about the tank being half full in the manual and mine is empty. What cap does this plastic use, and where can I get one?
  4. What antifreeze fluid is in the heater system and how do I know? Should I just add water and see how much needs to be added to see something in the tank? 
  5. The control panel LED indicates "Remote Open" near the bottom of the panel. Is this an error? What does this mean? When i turn on the panel in the cabinet by the fridge the hurricane starts up normally now and has a green light on. So I assumed the remote panel was working. I don't see any error codes. Is this an error code, ie "Remote Open"?
  6. The manual states very emphatically not to turn power off the hurricane when it is running or purging, however my salesman switch powers off the hurricane. Should this be changed to a continuous 12v circuit?
Thanks.
'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Bill
Thanks, I will check the tank for the level. Is this special antifreeze or is this the same antifreeze as the engine and tied into the main cooling system?

Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
On October 20, 2019 6:31:24 AM "Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Robert,  
one valve should be closed, One is summer and the other circulates the fluid for winter
Metal tank should always be completely full, NO air  system hates air It is a real project to purge the air with out a purge valve body and a secondary pump to pump BOILER ANTI FREEZE into the system from another source and back to that source.

Bill Edwards1999 SMC Panther On Sunday, October 20, 2019, 01:00:37 AM MDT, robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi

Here is my questions. 
Thanks.

'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' It is "boiler antifreeze" pink in color and sold as "Boiler Anti Freeze" not harmful if consumed as a result of an internal system leak.
B
On Sunday, October 20, 2019, 03:18:51 PM MDT, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Bill
Thanks, I will check the tank for the level. Is this special antifreeze or is this the same antifreeze as the engine and tied into the main cooling system?

Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
On October 20, 2019 6:31:24 AM "Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Robert,  

Bill Edwards1999 SMC Panther On Sunday, October 20, 2019, 01:00:37 AM MDT, robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Hi

Here is my questions. 
Thanks.

'