Re: Advice Needed!

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
robertcosmar

Advice Needed!

Post by robertcosmar »

'
Hi Everyone,
I will not go into great detail concerning the unfortunate circumstances of the past year and our RV experience. Let me say that it has been a pleasure to communicate with everyone concerning our questions about owning an RV.

Due to our ignorance, being new to this life and dealing with an unscrupulous dealership we put over $15000 in repairs into a used RV that we were told was checked for any needed repairs. As our insurance company said we got taken.

We have exhausted about all legal options available in the state of Florida, contacted our senator and local state rep, and also got some help from an investigative reporter out of Orlando. We tried to sell it outright to a used RV dealer, but because of the airbags he was not interested. Nothing has worked to help us resolve our situation. We even tried contacting the dealer. The law favors the defendant and in Florida if you file a suit and loose you pay the defense costs.

Currently, we are stuck in an RV park with a bad master cylinder and two front air bags with holes in them. We were instructed by 2 mechanics not to drive it. The cost to repair the RV could be between $2000 to $4000 and above. Our RV is a 2000 Safari Zanzibar with only 43,000 miles. 

My partner and I have exhausted our finances and at this point we would appreciate some advice or idea's that we may have not considered. If you have a suggestion or suggestions we are listening.

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

'
Robert and CJI'm very sorry to hear about your difficulties. What I would suggest to begin with, is not to give up! Here are two options you might consider. 
  1. If you have holes in the airbags you could vulcanize them. You have to know where the hole is and you can use a Vulcanizing patch you can get for a couple of dollars on Amazon. Now I haven't done this on airbags but I have done this years ago on tires. My father used to patch all his tires on large coachways buses that carried passengers. This makes the assumption that the airbags are not deteriorating but simply perforated. I have the same coach suspension system and as you do. I don't see any deterioration or cracking in my bags. You will have to remove the bags to do this. I don't think that it's that difficult to do. But what you could do if you're not able to do this yourself is first do the research... there's a lot of people on this forum that do know how and have taken to bags off and replaced them. They can give you detailed instructions, then get a local mechanic or somebody that's willing to work on your coach for an hourly rate not at a shop just on your pad to remove the bags. We can tell you how to block the coach to safely work on it. Then you take them in to a place that does Vulcanizing if you don't want to do that yourself. That would remove the cost of buying new bags. I think this is not a difficult thing to overcome although it's overwhelming. I know given amount of work that I've had to do in exactly the same situation is you are in now... but I do my own work. It is unfortunate that you have being taken advantage of but I would still encourage you that you have a very good coach. It can be fixed.!!
  2. Again with the master cylinder I've seen people here on this forum that have  that have changed them. Or rebuilt them. If you can get it off you can take it to a truck brake shop and have someone rebuild it for time and materials or you can buy an exchange unit these are common parts. Once again I would suggest finding a local mechanic not in a shop or a warm body someplace that can take a few bolts off your system and put it back on again.
The truth of the matter is that these kind of problems are usually not solvable at an RV dealer. As I stated many times in my experience and the experience that I've noted others have had, these are largely unscrupulous incompetent people and they cannot be trusted to give you an accurate representation. There may be places that are not like this but I have not found them. Not only that but even if you do find a good shop it will cost you a great deal of money per hour. So the way to work around this is find as much information as you can about the parts... purchase them and find somebody to put them on for you ...this is not that difficult and it's not that serious. It's just overwhelming when you get caught unprepared and have been taken advantage of.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
On September 26, 2019 10:30:30 AM "robertcosmar@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

Hi Everyone,
I will not go into great detail concerning the unfortunate circumstances of the past year and our RV experience. Let me say that it has been a pleasure to communicate with everyone concerning our questions about owning an RV.

Due to our ignorance, being new to this life and dealing with an unscrupulous dealership we put over $15000 in repairs into a used RV that we were told was checked for any needed repairs. As our insurance company said we got taken.

We have exhausted about all legal options available in the state of Florida, contacted our senator and local state rep, and also got some help from an investigative reporter out of Orlando. We tried to sell it outright to a used RV dealer, but because of the airbags he was not interested. Nothing has worked to help us resolve our situation. We even tried contacting the dealer. The law favors the defendant and in Florida if you file a suit and loose you pay the defense costs.

Currently, we are stuck in an RV park with a bad master cylinder and two front air bags with holes in them. We were instructed by 2 mechanics not to drive it. The cost to repair the RV could be between $2000 to $4000 and above. Our RV is a 2000 Safari Zanzibar with only 43,000 miles. 

My partner and I have exhausted our finances and at this point we would appreciate some advice or idea's that we may have not considered. If you have a suggestion or suggestions we are listening.

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

'
Robert and CJ
I just went out and checked on my coach and the airbags look extremely easy to take off. There are 9/16 in bolts and only three of them per bag that I can see on the bottom. Now I think that others can weigh in here but they don't look that difficult to get off and they're very accessible. 
If you take the bags off then replace the air fitting at the top with a push to fit air fitting. I got that advice from Bill and these were the best things that I put on my coach, if you use the standard ferrule connectors they're a pain in the neck and they leak, these push to connect fittings can be put on just by pushing the air tube into the airbag connection. But as I said there have been others who have taken the bags off and can give you more detailed advice. The main thing will be blocking the coach to release the airbag but it doesn't look difficult from what I can see.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison

Hi Everyone,

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Robert and CJ
I posted some suggestions but for some reason the post was collapsed by Yahoo as quoted text. Maybe because I copied your name and pasted it into my response and Yahoo copied the internal header information as well. If you want to read it click the "show quoted text" link.

Hi Everyone,

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' One thing that is important, if you can see the puncture you may not need to remove the bag to vulcanized it. Here is a starting point to learn if you choose to pursue this further.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/vulcanize-tire.htm
Remember The Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy 'DON'T PANIC'

Hi Everyone,

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar

'
James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'

Robert,

I would be surprised if putting a vulcanizing patch on the outside of an air bag would work. The patches are intended to be used on inner tubes and are supported by the tire they are inside.

If they are not supported, I think they will blow up like a balloon and pop. Someone else may have experience with this and have a different opinion.

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

On 9/26/2019 3:29 PM, Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

One thing that is important, if you can see the puncture you may not need to remove the bag to vulcanized it. Here is a starting point to learn if you choose to pursue this further.

Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

On September 26, 2019 10:30:30 AM robertcosmar@...[Safarifriends] Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Everyone,

We have exhausted about all legal options available in the state of Florida, contacted our senator and local state rep, and also got some help from an investigative reporter out of Orlando. We tried to sell it outright to a used RV dealer, but because
of the airbags he was not interested. Nothing has worked to help us resolve our situation. We even tried contacting the dealer. The law favors the defendant and in Florida if you file a suit and loose you pay the defense costs.

Currently, we are stuck in an RV park with a bad master cylinder and two front air bags with holes in them. We were instructed by 2 mechanics not to drive it. The cost to repair the RV could be between $2000 to $4000 and above. Our RV is a 2000 Safari
Zanzibar with only 43,000 miles. 

Sincerely,

Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' No patches allowed on suspension airbags.   DOT guy would go crazy! As I offered earlier, no response. I have 4 good bags that need a home. Why did I change them...it was a “Bill thing” before I knew much about suspension air bags...
BillEdwards1999 Panther

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
On Thursday, September 26, 2019, 4:18 PM, James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  

Robert,
I would be surprised if putting a vulcanizing patch on the outside of an air bag would work. The patches are intended to be used on inner tubes and are supported by the tire they are inside.
If they are not supported, I think they will blow up like a balloon and pop. Someone else may have experience with this and have a different opinion.

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

One thing that is important, if you can see the puncture you may not need to remove the bag to vulcanized it. Here is a starting point to learn if you choose to pursue this further.
Robert and Bev Lewis 2000 Safari Continental, since 2017 3126B Cat, 330hp MD3060 Allison

On September 26, 2019 10:30:30 AM robertcosmar@...[Safarifriends] Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com wrote:  
Hi Everyone,

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar

Image Virus-free. www.avg.com
'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Jim
I think you're right. I overlooked the patches being on the outside. I do know we used to bond sections into conveyor belts but they didn't carry air. I was casting about for a way that they could escape the grim hamburger reaper.

On September 26, 2019 3:18:44 PM "James Exler jimxexler@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

Robert,

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

Robert and Bev Lewis 2000 Safari Continental, since 2017 3126B Cat, 330hp MD3060 Allison

Hi Everyone,

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar

Image Virus-free. www.avg.com

'
robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com

Post by robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com »

'Robert and CJ
I was wrong in my assumption about patching the air bag. I overlooked that the patch would be on the outside of the bag as Jim pointed out. Bill also noted that it would not be approved.
But that being said, you still have the option of finding a used bag at the many RV salvage yards or Bill mentioned he has a set of used bags and he is a mechanic so you can trust his judgement on the condition of the equipment. 
I would still recommend getting the work done not at an RV dealer. All hope is not lost, just another turn in the road. We have all found that it just takes persistence and you will find a way given the expertise on this site and people that can advise you. You can gain the experience, this is how we all started.
All the best
https://safaritoonces.org'
TD

Post by TD »

'Robert and CJ,

What kind of brake issues/symptoms are you experiencing?
I just want to be sure that your master cylinder diagnose is not a
misdiagnose...

Ask around some of the local campgrounds in your area, if there is a
reputable and trustworthy mobile mechanic around, that work on RVs. He
should be able to replace the air bags without much issues. If you
source the parts yourself, that will bring you even more savings. Same
goes for the master cylinder, if that is the actual issue.

I would suggest contacting Bill Edwards, as he has some good used ones
that will cost you a fraction of what the new ones cost. Even new ones
aren't that bad, if you get them yourself.

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, Cummins C8.3-300, Allison
6spd

On 9/26/19, robertcosmar@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I will not go into great detail concerning the unfortunate circumstances of
> the past year and our RV experience. Let me say that it has been a pleasure
> to communicate with everyone concerning our questions about owning an RV.
>
>
> Due to our ignorance, being new to this life and dealing with an
> unscrupulous dealership we put over $15000 in repairs into a used RV that we
> were told was checked for any needed repairs. As our insurance company said
> we got taken.
>
>
> We have exhausted about all legal options available in the state of
> Florida, contacted our senator and local state rep, and also got some help
> from an investigative reporter out of Orlando. We tried to sell it outright
> to a used RV dealer, but because of the airbags he was not interested.
> Nothing has worked to help us resolve our situation. We even tried
> contacting the dealer. The law favors the defendant and in Florida if you
> file a suit and loose you pay the defense costs.
>
>
> Currently, we are stuck in an RV park with a bad master cylinder and two
> front air bags with holes in them. We were instructed by 2 mechanics not to
> drive it. The cost to repair the RV could be between $2000 to $4000 and
> above. Our RV is a 2000 Safari Zanzibar with only 43,000 miles.
>
>
> My partner and I have exhausted our finances and at this point we would
> appreciate some advice or idea's that we may have not considered. If you
> have a suggestion or suggestions we are listening.
>
>
> Sincerely,
> Robert and CJ
>
>
> 2000 Safari Zanzibar
>
'