Re: winterizing 1998 39' safari sarengeti

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
akelphman

winterizing 1998 39' safari sarengeti

Post by akelphman »

'
hello all,

first I want to give thanks for everyone on this forum.   I purchased my 98 sarengeti this spring and it needed a lot work before we took our 13k round trip from alaska to florida and back again.   I can say with certainty that we would not have succesfully made that trip without all the help I recieved from members her on this site to get my coach prepared for the task.   

THANKS TO YOU ALL.

on to the topic at hand.   it is time to winterize my coach.  I winterized my previous coach every year for the last 20 years with no issues but this one is quite different.  I have reviewed the info in the owners manual but it is very vague.   my sarengeti has the plumbing compartment with all the 3 way valves.  I have not been able to figure out for certain what exactly all the positions do.   to be honest when I put water in it this spring (it was winterized when I purchased it) i got the water system to work mostly through trial and error.  that method is fine when its not going to freeze but for the winter I need to be sure that i have every thing set correctly.    when I dewinterized it there was no rv antifreeze in the system.  my coach came with the hurricane heating system but I was told that system didn't work and had been basically abandonded in place.  the prevoius owner had installed a standalone propane forced air heater and a seward water  heater that works off the motors coolant to heat the hot water with a back up 120v electrical anode for use when the coach is parked.   

in browsing around this forum I remember seeing some posts about a member who had the winterization down pretty well for this particular coach but can't seem to find that by searching now.  if someone could point me in the direction of that it would be greatly apprecaiated.    

in the manual it suggests that you can succesfully winterize by draining all water and then blowing the system out with 35psi of air.  I am concerned that this will not get all the water out of the hot water tank, washer dryer, or ice maker.  the seward hot water tank does have a drain but no bypass.   my preference would to to blow out the system and not use any rv antifreeze, and apparently that worked before since that was the condition it was in when i got it.  I am just a little apprehensive about getthg all the 3 way valves in the right configuration to make sure it all blows out ok.  they are not marked at all and i didn't even know they were 3 way valves until someone mentioned it this summer.  

as an alternative I could pump the rv antifreeze into the water tank and then through all the lines but that would mean filling the hot water tank as well, or installing a bypass kit.  they are not available locally so I would have to order one.   time is a bit of a concern as well as im not sure how easy it will be to get a bypass installed.   looks like the water heater was installed with all sharkbite fittings and there is very little room in that hole... 

sorry for the lengthy post but I figure too much info is better than not enough.  

thanks

dalton

1998 39' safari sarengeti cat deisel
anchorage alaska.

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' What I did was open the drains then put 30psi of air into the city water input line and blew all the water out. I made a male air to make water coupler. 
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
On September 27, 2019 3:14:39 PM "akelphman@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  

hello all,

first I want to give thanks for everyone on this forum.   I purchased my 98 sarengeti this spring and it needed a lot work before we took our 13k round trip from alaska to florida and back again.   I can say with certainty that we would not have succesfully made that trip without all the help I recieved from members her on this site to get my coach prepared for the task.   

THANKS TO YOU ALL.

on to the topic at hand.   it is time to winterize my coach.  I winterized my previous coach every year for the last 20 years with no issues but this one is quite different.  I have reviewed the info in the owners manual but it is very vague.   my sarengeti has the plumbing compartment with all the 3 way valves.  I have not been able to figure out for certain what exactly all the positions do.   to be honest when I put water in it this spring (it was winterized when I purchased it) i got the water system to work mostly through trial and error.  that method is fine when its not going to freeze but for the winter I need to be sure that i have every thing set correctly.    when I dewinterized it there was no rv antifreeze in the system.  my coach came with the hurricane heating system but I was told that system didn't work and had been basically abandonded in place.  the prevoius owner had installed a standalone propane forced air heater and a seward water  heater that works off the motors coolant to heat the hot water with a back up 120v electrical anode for use when the coach is parked.   

in browsing around this forum I remember seeing some posts about a member who had the winterization down pretty well for this particular coach but can't seem to find that by searching now.  if someone could point me in the direction of that it would be greatly apprecaiated.    

in the manual it suggests that you can succesfully winterize by draining all water and then blowing the system out with 35psi of air.  I am concerned that this will not get all the water out of the hot water tank, washer dryer, or ice maker.  the seward hot water tank does have a drain but no bypass.   my preference would to to blow out the system and not use any rv antifreeze, and apparently that worked before since that was the condition it was in when i got it.  I am just a little apprehensive about getthg all the 3 way valves in the right configuration to make sure it all blows out ok.  they are not marked at all and i didn't even know they were 3 way valves until someone mentioned it this summer.  

as an alternative I could pump the rv antifreeze into the water tank and then through all the lines but that would mean filling the hot water tank as well, or installing a bypass kit.  they are not available locally so I would have to order one.   time is a bit of a concern as well as im not sure how easy it will be to get a bypass installed.   looks like the water heater was installed with all sharkbite fittings and there is very little room in that hole... 

sorry for the lengthy post but I figure too much info is better than not enough.  

thanks

dalton

anchorage alaska.

'
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

'I live in Wasilla and have been thinking of driving mine Sahara out. How did yours do?
Thanks

Dan
99 Sahara 30 foot3126 B/6 speed Allison
On Fri, Sep 27, 2019, 18:10 Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

What I did was open the drains then put 30psi of air into the city water input line and blew all the water out. I made a male air to make water coupler. 
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison

hello all,

THANKS TO YOU ALL.

thanks

dalton

anchorage alaska.

'
astrnmrtom

Post by astrnmrtom »

'I use and adapter and hook my small compressor to the city inlet, and open faucets. When they are clear I close them and then open the drain on the Seaward until its done and close the valve. Then I hold the pedal down on the toilet until it is clear. When that's done I open the low drain points and continue with the air. I find closing the low drain point valves and letting the air pressure build - 20 -30 lbs - for a few seconds and opening the valves blows out more water. I keep repeating the closing, building of pressure, and opening of the low point drains gets quite a bit more water out. When this no longer works I disconnect the air, open all faucets, the Seaward drain and the low point valves and leave them open. I finish by pouring RV antifreeze in the drains and toilet bowl. Has worked so far for four years.
I do remove the lower cover of the ice maker and disconnect the line from the valve body and let it gravity drain into a small bowl. Hardly get anything out of it. I leave it disconnected and shut the inline valve closed in the cabinet under the sink and the cover off the bottom of the icemaker to remind myself it's disconnected. 
Tom M1998 Serengeti 3706'
Tom and Pris Masterson, w/ Buddy the 18 year old Siamese cat.
1998 Serengeti 3706
300hp Cat 3126, Allison 3060
900 Watts of Solar
17cf, Fisher & Paykel residential Refrigerator
Dragging four telescopes around the US seeking dark skies.
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' I am not sure I understand completely. But I had no problems with the coach over winter. I usually left a heater on a few hours most days during the day at 750 watts. I have the coach at my house and worked on it most days so I didn't let it get cold or damp inside. I just made sure the tanks were totally empty using the air pressure. I also have power to the coach and the chassis batteries are an battery minder, the house batteries are charged by the inverter/charger.

On September 27, 2019 8:39:33 PM "Dan J akkowl@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
I live in Wasilla and have been thinking of driving mine Sahara out. How did yours do?
Thanks

Dan
On Fri, Sep 27, 2019, 18:10 Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@gmail..com [Safarifriends] wrote:

What I did was open the drains then put 30psi of air into the city water input line and blew all the water out. I made a male air to make water coupler. 

hello all,

THANKS TO YOU ALL.

thanks

dalton

anchorage alaska.

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Dan,
what mileage (mpg) do you get with your coach? I noticed we have the engine but you have less weight. I think the best I have had was 8.5 mpg @ 55mph. and as low as 7,
On September 27, 2019 8:39:33 PM "Dan J akkowl@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
I live in Wasilla and have been thinking of driving mine Sahara out. How did yours do?
Thanks

Dan
On Fri, Sep 27, 2019, 18:10 Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@gmail..com [Safarifriends] wrote:

hello all,

THANKS TO YOU ALL.

thanks

dalton

anchorage alaska.

'
akelphman

Post by akelphman »

'Dan.

Our coach did great on our long trip. But only after I did some significant mantinence that had been long neglected. Mostly suspension stuff. Shocks and adjusting ride height I have the Tortion suspension and I don’t think the ride height has been adjusted ever. After that it drove much better. New brakes all around and a few other things and we had a great trip for the most part.'
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Presume you mean Velvet-Ride, or Torsolasic Suspension?
Gary'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 2:30 PM akelphman@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Dan.

Our coach did great on our long trip. But only after I did some significant mantinence that had been long neglected. Mostly suspension stuff. Shocks and adjusting ride height I have the Tortion suspension and I don’t think the ride height has been adjusted ever. After that it drove much better. New brakes all around and a few other things and we had a great trip for the most part.
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
lotosrggp1

Post by lotosrggp1 »

'Winterize water systems

Recommendation, it might not work with every coach:

Blow Out the System With Compressed Air

This is perhaps the easiest method, but it requires an oil less air compressor and a “blow out plug”.

The major drawback to this method is that you can’t be 100 percent sure that all the water has been expelled from the system.

To proceed:

1. Turn off heat source for water heater, propane and/or electricity. Work when the water isn't hot.

2. Open all faucets, including tub and shower and the outdoor shower and completely gravity drain everything including the water tank in the fresh water system by opening low point valves.

3. Remove the strainer at the water pump and dump the water out, replace.

4. Remove and dump any filter ahead of city water hose connection. Connect the “blow out plug” to the city water inlet. Use oil less air compressor so you don't contaminate the fresh water system to blow out water lines, 30-35psi. Blow until you don't feel water droplets on your hands at any faucet hot or cold, don't forget to hold the toilet valve open to totally flush of water.

5. Drain and flush the water heater, then siphon the water still in the bottom of it out. Check anode for useful life. You can leave open till next use.

6. Consult with the owner’s manuals for your ice maker, washing machine, dishwasher (if so equipped), and hurricane heating system for winterizing instructions.

7. Clean, flush and dump your black and gray water tanks.

8. Pour one quart or more of pink RV antifreeze into the gray and black tanks to protect the drain valves and seals. Do this through all sink and shower drains, and the toilet. When you are done you want antifreeze in the P traps as well. Add about a pint to the toilet bowl to protect its flush valve and seals.

Tom
97 Sahara 3550'