Re: Norcold 9182 Constantly Pulls DC

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'Good explanation of our OEM in inverter!
 Will add that applies to our original Heart series of inverter/chargers.  When you have the remote panel (again typically in the sleeping room, the power switch on the inverter should be left in the off position, and the inverter controller by the remote controller in the bedroom.  The default programming on the unit has the charger function always on whenever you are connected to shore power, or the generator is operating. This secular can be changed by dip switched in the back of the remote controller.  If you do have the installation and operating manual for the Heart ?? inverter, and of the 120 volt wiring diagrams, go to this site’s library and download them. Must haves to fully understand the aspects of this system. I believe our Heart units were state of the art when our coaches were built. 
Current like quality inverters/chargers are much approved with better efficiency, lower standby drain, and “true sine wave” AC power which is better for all inductive loads.  On the flip side they are around $1,400 outright, thus the reason we are nursing our OEM units.v/r,
Taylor Hudson‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126acquired 2018
On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 8:49 AM Gary Smith trekker01@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Joe,If your inverter is on your microwave oven will show the clock operating and you will have 120v power at most of your electrical outlets (not the refrigerator), and your inverter will be eating up your battery power..  I suspect your problem has nothing to do with the refrigerator, but is caused by leaving the inverter on while not connected tto external power or having some other source of recharging the batteries..  You have a remote panel mounted to the driver's side closet at the rear of the bedroom.  That panel allows you to turn the inverter on/off.  You also have a "camera" switch on the dash that turns he inverter on/off, and a switch physically on the inverter.  For the inverter to be turned off, ALL THREE of these switches must be off.  With all off, any one of them can turn it on.  I suggest you make sure the switch on the inverter is always turned off so you can control it from inside the coach.  Awfully inconvenient to have to go to your electric bay to turn it on or off, especially at night or in inclement weather, when you could have done so without going outside.
Your refrigerator constantly uses DC power to run the control board when he refrigerator is on, but it is not a big draw that would kill the batteries in a matter of overnight.   The inverter, being left on is not providing any 120v power to the refrigerator, but consumes close to 200 watts of 120v in it's inefficiency, even if nothing is using 120v power from it.

Gary'98 Sahara 3006 300CAT
'
ke6vut@sbcglobal.net

Post by ke6vut@sbcglobal.net »

'On my 97 Sahara the rear camera switch also turned on the inverter.Easy to leave the inverter on inadvertently.
'
Jumpnjoe59

Post by Jumpnjoe59 »

'Just unplugged from shore power and the microwave does not have power. That would indicate the inverted is not on when unplugged or generator not running. Will continue my journey once the battery tester arrives. I welcome any/all input and ideas.

Joe/1997 Sahara/3550/3126/300hp'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Joe
I had a problem with the coach and house batteries going dead overnight. My problem was the echo charger had failed and due to a wiring error the house solenoid was permanently on drawing about 3amps of power. 
There were a lot of incompetent wiring Kludges in the engine bay so I don't know that this was the only problem. But it was definitely one problem. I eliminated the echo charger and put a battery tender on the invertor. My inverter is high efficiency. The other thing was I eliminated the continous duty house solenoid for the intellitec momentary draw toggle solenoid. I also used Jim Excers design to eliminate the isolator.
I will try and put together a presentation in the next week and post the link.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
On October 1, 2019 4:36:36 PM "jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Just unplugged from shore power and the microwave does not have power. That would indicate the inverted is not on when unplugged or generator not running. Will continue my journey once the battery tester arrives. I welcome any/all input and ideas.

Joe/1997 Sahara/3550/3126/300hp

'
Sarah George

Post by Sarah George »

'Wanted to close the loop on my findings. I pulled all 4 coach batteries out and found only one battery with all good cells. They are Interstate MAXX and 4 years old. I will replace them in the spring as I winterized the RV today. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments. I am now a proud owner of a battery hydrometer.

Joe/1997 Sahara 3550/3126,300hp/6 spd'
TD

Post by TD »

'Joe,

I would suggest to keep the three bad batteries isolated from the good
one, and give the good one a nice long slow charge. This way you will
at least have one battery to get you through going into and out of
storage.

John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300, Allison
6spd

On 10/6/19, Sarah George jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> Wanted to close the loop on my findings. I pulled all 4 coach batteries out
> and found only one battery with all good cells. They are Interstate MAXX
> and 4 years old. I will replace them in the spring as I winterized the RV
> today. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments. I am now a
> proud owner of a battery hydrometer.
>
> Joe/1997 Sahara 3550/3126,300hp/6 spd
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Sarah George
>
> Community email addresses:
> Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
> Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
> Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
> List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com
>
> Shortcut URL to this page:
> http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>
'
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'John's isolation suggestion is good, but If you are going to wait until Spring to replace all four, and you are in country where wintterizing is essential, I would remove the other three batteries so they don't freeze and spread what acid remains all over everything when they split their cases..  Be sure you know how they are connected so you can reconnect properly when you do replace..  A photo is good but also be sure to plainly mark each cable as to positive or negative.  I would suspect all your cables are black and otherwise indistinguishable as to where they go..

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 11:07 PM TD sdjhtm@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Joe,

I would suggest to keep the three bad batteries isolated from the good
one, and give the good one a nice long slow charge. This way you will
at least have one battery to get you through going into and out of
storage.

John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3-300, Allison
6spd

On 10/6/19, Sarah George jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> Wanted to close the loop on my findings. I pulled all 4 coach batteries out
> and found only one battery with all good cells. They are Interstate MAXX
> and 4 years old. I will replace them in the spring as I winterized the RV
> today. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments. I am now a
> proud owner of a battery hydrometer.
>
> Joe/1997 Sahara 3550/3126,300hp/6 spd
>
> Posted by: Sarah George
>
> Community email addresses:
> Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
> Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
> Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
> List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com
>
> Shortcut URL to this page:
> http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '
Jumpnjoe59

Post by Jumpnjoe59 »

'I do remove all batteries (coach and cranking) every winter as I live in Utah.  I will charge the one good one and then trickle charge over the winter. Will do the same for the cranking batteries.  I did make labels for all connections and took pictures. 
Joe/1997 Safari 3550/3126/6 Spd'
Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith »

'Joe,Replace all 4 house batteries at the same time, preferably with the same manufacturer date code on all 4.  Replacing 3 (new ones) and keeping one "good" old one will weaken the capacity of the new ones and shorten their life.  It is the old "weakest link" syndrome.
On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 3:24 PM jumpnjoe59@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I do remove all batteries (coach and cranking) every winter as I live in Utah.  I will charge the one good one and then trickle charge over the winter. Will do the same for the cranking batteries.  I did make labels for all connections and took pictures. 
Joe/1997 Safari 3550/3126/6 Spd
--
Gary Smith
ImageImage '