Re: Replaced Chassis Batteries and now won't start

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
shallowroots

Replaced Chassis Batteries and now won't start

Post by shallowroots »

'
1999 Safari Sahara- We replaced the chassis batteries and did not take a picture or mark the cables. (yes we've well scorned the culprit)    We reinstalled the batteries in parallel which looks to be correct.  There were a number of other small system wires we believe we installed correctly to positive and negative terminals..  When we go to start we get nothing. 

When we try to use the bypass switch to the house batteries we get clicking but does not turn over.  While using the bypass switch we have also tried to hit the remote engine start on the rear of the coach and get a click, but nothing else.

We took the batteries back to the auto parts store and replaced them in case there was an issue, still nothing.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or can take a picture of their battery set up?

Sue'
TD

Post by TD »

'Sue,

Does your transmission shift pad light up when you turn the ignition on?

You need to double check the small wires. The positive side should
have an inline fuse in them, so check the fuses too. The amount of
small wires should be equal on both the positive and negative
terminals. There have been cases were some of those small wires
disappeared into the plastic loom, where you can't see it, so it gets
missed. Look over all these items very carefully and likely you will
find your issue.

John
'95 Safari Serengeti 38ft, Cummins C8.3-300, Allison
6spd

On 10/2/19, shallowroots@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> 1999 Safari Sahara- We replaced the chassis batteries and did not take a
> picture or mark the cables. (yes we've well scorned the culprit) We
> reinstalled the batteries in parallel which looks to be correct. There were
> a number of other small system wires we believe we installed correctly to
> positive and negative terminals.. When we go to start we get nothing.
>
>
> When we try to use the bypass switch to the house batteries we get clicking
> but does not turn over. While using the bypass switch we have also tried to
> hit the remote engine start on the rear of the coach and get a click, but
> nothing else.
>
>
> We took the batteries back to the auto parts store and replaced them in
> case there was an issue, still nothing.
>
>
> Does anyone have a wiring diagram or can take a picture of their battery
> set up?
>
>
> Sue
>
'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'SueAre the new chassis batteries fully charged ?(Batteries don't necessarily come from the auto parts store that way).Mel'96 Sahara

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

1999 Safari Sahara- We replaced the chassis batteries and did not take a picture or mark the cables. (yes we've well scorned the culprit)    We reinstalled the batteries in parallel which looks to be correct.  There were a number of other small system wires we believe we installed correctly to positive and negative terminals..  When we go to start we get nothing. 

When we try to use the bypass switch to the house batteries we get clicking but does not turn over.  While using the bypass switch we have also tried to hit the remote engine start on the rear of the coach and get a click, but nothing else.

We took the batteries back to the auto parts store and replaced them in case there was an issue, still nothing.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or can take a picture of their battery set up?

Sue'
shallowroots

Post by shallowroots »

'Any chance you have an image of your battery set up?
Our transmission light does not light up.'
shallowroots

Post by shallowroots »

'Our transmission pad light does not light up.  Will look at all wires for the same positive and negative.'
James Exler

Post by James Exler »

'Attachments :

Sue,

Here is a picture from my 98 Sahara. Be careful because if you reverse the polarity on some devices, you may let the "magic smoke" out of the box.

Jim Exler, Nampa, ID

On 10/2/2019 9:13 AM, shallowroots@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

1999 Safari Sahara- We replaced the chassis batteries and did not take a picture or mark the cables. (yes we've well scorned the culprit)    We reinstalled the batteries in parallel which looks to be correct.  There were a number of other small system
wires we believe we installed correctly to positive and negative terminals..  When we go to start we get nothing. 

Sue

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

'
shallowroots

Post by shallowroots »

'Can’t see the picture. Can you email it to me? ssadler@...? Thanks'
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'Attachments :Sue,I did the exact same thing after purchasing my coach.  I photographed and sketched the wiring, then removed the six batteries to refinish the battery rack.  I will not admit how much time I spent discovering this error in my ways.  Part of “my” problem were my wires were  not color coded to represent positive and negative.  The pics of mine are below, the first is a close up of what lands on my chassis positive and secondly, what lands on my chassis negative.  With my dead solar charger wire not connected, there are no small wires landed on my chassis batteries (presently 12 volts).  
For orientation, my battery slides out the last bay of the passenger side. As I face the passenger side of the coach and the slid out battery rack, the first four batteries are my coach batteries.  (The VIM fuse and relay module is not seen laid atop the coach batteries, a bad practice not to copy). 
The last row two (rear most) batteries are the chassis batteries, also wired in parallel.  The small wires of interest I have landed on the outermost battery for convenience.  On my positive terminal is a red wire with an in line fuse, and a white wire that is embossed with: “ #1 BATT POWER  S2-D”.   [img]cid:16d8e74ea4a3f46075f1[/img]
On my negative terminal is a white wire embossed “S1-C”, and another white wire embossed “GHD-VIM-GHD”.[img]cid:16d8e751e75f49be25e2[/img]
The white wire on my positive labeled “ #1 BATT POWER (S2-D)” could be from the solar charger, I am not certain presently (that  squirrel has to wait it’s turn on line).[img]cid:16d8e75e88d89f02c603[/img]
I hope when you peel back the black plastic wire loam on your three white wires  you can find the labeling as printed on the wires.  Actually the marking of wires in our coaches is quite good.  (The black Brother stick on labels are mine own). Any more questions, please ask. v/r,
Taylor Hudson‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060), CAT 3126acquired 2018

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 11:15 AM shallowroots@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Sue
'
shallowroots

Post by shallowroots »

'Ok - We were able to start it with the bypass battery switch and now have four lights and full operation of the transmission. But we still cannot start it off the ignition switch. Ideas?

Thank you to everyone who is supporting us on this problem'
Mr. G.

Post by Mr. G. »

' When u engage the ignition switch, does anything happen ? Guages, clicks, jacks ?

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android
From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com on behalf of shallowroots@... [Safarifriends]
Sent: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 6:46:27 PM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Replaced Chassis Batteries and now won't start
  Ok - We were able to start it with the bypass battery switch and now have four lights and full operation of the transmission. But we still cannot start it off the ignition switch. Ideas?

Thank you to everyone who is supporting us on this problem

------------------------------------
Posted by: shallowroots@...

Community email addresses:
  Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com
  Subscribe:    Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com
  Unsubscribe:  Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com
  List owner:   Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com

Shortcut URL to this page:
  http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends