Re: Stainless steel bolts/screws etc. (was: tighten water pump belt)

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
fountking

tighten water pump belt

Post by fountking »

'I started out to tighten my water pump belt on my 3126 Cat. Well it took about a ¼ turn and the bolt at the pivot point snapped off. The adjuster bolt came out with no problem.I removed the fan and the water pump and the ac compressor attached to the water pump. Now I could see the broken bolt, laying on motor looking at it upside down. Drilled a hole that started on center but ended up off center. Broke 2 easy outs but with hole all the way thru I tapped them  with small punch and they came out. 5 yrs. ago I had a detached retina and though I can see with that eye it is distorted and depth perception and looking upside down at something are a problem.So I had my mechanic friend come over and he ground it out with his small air drill and burr grinder. He ran a tap in as he progressed and cleaned it out.As long as I had the pump out I replaced it $245  with core came with O ring pack. I also replaced all the hoses and changed the 90 degree elbow to silicone. There is a 1 ½” silicone hose attached from pump to under side of regulator [thermostat].If you replace your pump attach the end to engine first and clamp it is tough to do it the other way. I don’t think you could replace this hose without taking water pump out. I also replaced the regulator. Mel if you are reading this my serpentine belt tensioner pin was corroded off. I didn’t even notice it until I was cleaning the bracket and saw the hole was plugged and then saw it was gone on tensioner. Maybe that one you had a problem with did also. I got a new one at Cat $240 then realized I had one I had replaced a few years ago. I checked the tension of the new one with a spring scale and then one I had and had about the same tension.I also checked Carquest and they were about ½ the price ofCat after mechanic friend suggested .Both made by Dayco.  Bob 96 Serengeti
3126 Cat '
mel96safari

Serpentine belt tensioner pin (was: tighten water pump belt)

Post by mel96safari »

'BobLong before I knew there was a locating pin on the Cat serpentine belt tensioner a "professional" mechanic at a truck repair shop ground that pin off.Many miles later I had to replace the tensioner because there was no longer a way to keep the belt tight,(Re-tightening the center bolt of the tensioner would hold the tension for a few hundred miles but the belt would squeal on every startup).
Mel'96 Sahara 250hp 3126 Cat

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

.Mel if you are reading this my serpentine belt tensioner pin was corroded off. I didn’t even notice it until I was cleaning the bracket and saw the hole was plugged and then saw it was gone on tensioner. Maybe that one you had a problem with did also. I got a new one at Cat $240 then realized I had one I had replaced a few years ago. I checked the tension of the new one with a spring scale and then one I had and had about the same tension.I also checked Carquest and they were about ½ the price ofCat after mechanic friend suggested .Both made by Dayco.  Bob 96 Serengeti
3126 Cat '
Robert Lewis

Re: tighten water pump belt

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Thank you, Bob... could you post your part numbers if you have then? What is the silicone 90 degree, is that a part not from Cat?

Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org
On October 4, 2019 3:43:25 PM "fountking@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
I started out to tighten my water pump belt on my 3126 Cat. Well it took about a ¼ turn and the bolt at the pivot point snapped off. The adjuster bolt came out with no problem.I removed the fan and the water pump and the ac compressor attached to the water pump. Now I could see the broken bolt, laying on motor looking at it upside down. Drilled a hole that started on center but ended up off center. Broke 2 easy outs but with hole all the way thru I tapped them  with small punch and they came out. 5 yrs. ago I had a detached retina and though I can see with that eye it is distorted and depth perception and looking upside down at something are a problem.So I had my mechanic friend come over and he ground it out with his small air drill and burr grinder. He ran a tap in as he progressed and cleaned it out.As long as I had the pump out I replaced it $245  with core came with O ring pack. I also replaced all the hoses and changed the 90 degree elbow to silicone. There is a 1 ½” silicone hose attached from pump to under side of regulator [thermostat].If you replace your pump attach the end to engine first and clamp it is tough to do it the other way. I don’t think you could replace this hose without taking water pump out. I also replaced the regulator. Mel if you are reading this my serpentine belt tensioner pin was corroded off. I didn’t even notice it until I was cleaning the bracket and saw the hole was plugged and then saw it was gone on tensioner. Maybe that one you had a problem with did also. I got a new one at Cat $240 then realized I had one I had replaced a few years ago. I checked the tension of the new one with a spring scale and then one I had and had about the same tension.I also checked Carquest and they were about ½ the price ofCat after mechanic friend suggested .Both made by Dayco.  Bob 96 Serengeti
3126 Cat 

'
fountking

Post by fountking »

'The 90 ° is the elbow hose on top of the regator. I used silicone hose because I figured this was a hose I would remove a few yrs from now when replacing the regulator. I try to replace or upgrade the things I come across that would be a pain to do again. The water pump was fine but 23 yrs old and I had it off. It does not stick to the metal so easier to remove. Not cheap 50 -60 $ range.I am thinking about having that steel 2" crossover pipe remade and rerouting the transmission cooling lines,it looks like a potential leak from chaffing eventually.

The pump is a reman from Cat so they are going to ask for your serial number. I will check their ticket and post it later. Mel, mine was not a problem yet as the tension on the bolt and the corrosion held it in place. It probably would have been eventually. I greased the pin hole and the flat area of mounting plate with molly paste hopefully slow the corrosion of aluminium to steel.I will pull it off next yr and see.
Bob 96 Serengeti3126Cat'
RP Sunrise

Post by RP Sunrise »

' Bob and Bob from another Bob I recently had a similar problem with the water belt tensioner. It was a whole litany of 2 steps backwards but was finally able to move forward. I found my water pump belt loose while looking at another problem. Put a socket on the tensioner adjusting bolt and it busted right off and the tensioner fell to the ground. The reason it was loose was the pivot bolt had also busted at some point so I now have the two bolts that hold the tensioner busted.

As Bob knows, there is very little room in there but I was able to weld a nut on the pivot stud and back it out. There was no way to get access to the adjusting bolt because the engine dampener and serpentine belt pulley are in the way not to mention the fan and shroud.

I was blessed with a bit of luck when I noticed a second hole just below the busted adjustment bolt. I tapped out the pivot bolt hole and put the pulley bracket on and the hole aligned with the adjusting slot. I was ecstatic to find that all I had to do was run the tap (8 x 1.25) in the hole to clean it up and reinstall the adjuster. I did use "Never Seize" and installed a new belt and pulley bearings.
It was a challenge but got her done.
Bob 99 Safari Zanzibar 3126 Cat

From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Robert Lewis robert.lewis.tl@... [Safarifriends]
Sent: Saturday, October 5, 2019 12:44 AM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] tighten water pump belt
    Thank you, Bob... could you post your part numbers if you have then? What is the silicone 90 degree, is that a part not from Cat?

Robert and Bev Lewis 2000 Safari Continental, since 2017 3126B Cat, 330hp MD3060 Allison
On October 4, 2019 3:43:25 PM "fountking@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:
  I started out to tighten my water pump belt on my 3126 Cat. Well it took about a ¼ turn and the bolt at the pivot point snapped off. The adjuster bolt came out with no problem. I removed the fan and the water pump and the ac compressor attached to the water pump. Now I could see the broken bolt, laying on motor looking at it upside down. Drilled a hole that started on center but ended up off center. Broke 2 easy outs but with hole all the way thru I tapped them  with small punch and they came out. 5 yrs. ago I had a detached retina and though I can see with that eye it is distorted and depth perception and looking upside down at something are a problem. So I had my mechanic friend come over and he ground it out with his small air drill and burr grinder. He ran a tap in as he progressed and cleaned it out. As long as I had the pump out I replaced it $245  with core came with O ring pack. I also replaced all the hoses and changed the 90 degree elbow to silicone. There is a 1 ½” silicone hose attached from pump to under side of regulator [thermostat].If you replace your pump attach the end to engine first and clamp it is tough to do it the other way. I don’t think you could replace this hose without taking water pump out. I also replaced the regulator. Mel if you are reading this my serpentine belt tensioner pin was corroded off. I didn’t even notice it until I was cleaning the bracket and saw the hole was plugged and then saw it was gone on tensioner. Maybe that one you had a problem with did also. I got a new one at Cat $240 then realized I had one I had replaced a few years ago. I checked the tension of the new one with a spring scale and then one I had and had about the same tension.I also checked Carquest and they were about ½ the price ofCat after mechanic friend suggested .Both made by Dayco.   Bob 96 Serengeti 3126 Cat 
'
fountking

Post by fountking »

'I think I might try to remember to loosen those bolts up once a year. I hope to keep her rolling for another 10 yrs.'
fountking

Post by fountking »

'Bob, I have that extra hole also. Maybe they put it there as a just in case.I am using moly paste on my bolts as this is what my friend uses.He is a diesel mechanic at Kenworth in Buffalo and a farm boy.served in Air Force and has turned wrenches for a long time.He is 2 yrs younger than me so hope he is around to help out when I need him.
Bob 96 Serengeti3126 Cat'
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'Now we are getting into the weeds of the matter, my favorite place!
Regarding this topic, a) has anyone noticed what grade bolts come in this application?
b) has anyone reinstalled grade 8 bolts or better regardless of what comes with the new tensioner. 
c) has anyone presoaked these bolts for a few days in a penetrating oil before wringing them off?
d) Put all bolts back with some kind of anti-seize.  With Murphy always around, expect the only bolts to seize with be the ones without lubricant (which are typically the only ones I have to remove). 
Enquiring minds like to know.  Have some wonderful fall journeys.  v/r,
Taylor Hudson‘98Safari Serengeti (4960), CAT 3126acquired 2018
On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 10:25 AM fountking@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Bob, I have that extra hole also. Maybe they put it there as a just in case.I am using moly paste on my bolts as this is what my friend uses.He is a diesel mechanic at Kenworth in Buffalo and a farm boy.served in Air Force and has turned wrenches for a long time.He is 2 yrs younger than me so hope he is around to help out when I need him.
Bob 96 Serengeti3126 Cat
'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Taylor,
Cat has their own grade of bolt system by their engineers so do not know how that relates...so I am told. I have pulled many bolts on the Z and not a one has ever broken and can thankfully say the same is happening on the Panther. When I do assembly work I always use anti-seize and all grade 8 bolts and generally torqued to spec.
Bill Edwards1999Panther
On Saturday, October 5, 2019, 08:38:25 AM MDT, W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Now we are getting into the weeds of the matter, my favorite place!
Regarding this topic, a) has anyone noticed what grade bolts come in this application?
b) has anyone reinstalled grade 8 bolts or better regardless of what comes with the new tensioner. 
c) has anyone presoaked these bolts for a few days in a penetrating oil before wringing them off?
d) Put all bolts back with some kind of anti-seize.  With Murphy always around, expect the only bolts to seize with be the ones without lubricant (which are typically the only ones I have to remove). 

Bob, I have that extra hole also. Maybe they put it there as a just in case.I am using moly paste on my bolts as this is what my friend uses.He is a diesel mechanic at Kenworth in Buffalo and a farm boy.served in Air Force and has turned wrenches for a long time.He is 2 yrs younger than me so hope he is around to help out when I need him.
Bob 96 Serengeti3126 Cat
'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' Taylor, good advice on the bolt grade. I am going to start puting penetrating oil on every few days. Would it be of use to take a torch and heat the bolts a few times, put penetrating oil on after they are cool. I can see this bolt shearing off at the worst possible time... as seems to be the usual case.
I know John had a couple of manifold bolts break like that while on the road and it was expensive. Would changing these to a higher grade be a good idea as well? Would the no seize work in a high temp area?
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
On October 5, 2019 7:38:25 AM "W Taylor Hudson fpengr@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
Now we are getting into the weeds of the matter, my favorite place!

Bob 96 Serengeti3126 Cat

'