Re: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
Lois Lopez

Post by Lois Lopez »

'Thanks John.  I am gratefully awaiting guidance from our moderator.
Lois
On Oct 17, 2019, at 9:32 AM, TD sdjhtm@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
Lois,

The owner and moderator of this group, is R G. He is the one to
communicate with and makes the decisions, as it is solely his group
and he was kind enough to provide us with a place gather and share,
for close to twenty years.
If individual members are worried about data loss, and they have the
time and storage capacity to down load the important info/files, they
can opt to do that.
In this day and age, with mega corporations, nothing is safe. They are
too big to care about the little guys, and all their decisions are
based strictly on profits and keeping the stock holders happy. Of
course, to cover my tail, this is just my opinion, based on observing
corporate behavior and track record.

John
'95 Serengeti, Cummins C8.3

On 10/17/19, Lois Lopez loislop@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> I don’t think we should make any assumptions about being “safe” just because
> personal emails weren’t sent out! Our Safarifriends site has thousands and
> thousands of hours of work and dedication from great people who’ve shared
> their knowledge and documents!
>
> If I remember correctly, the deadline to DOWNLOAD any new files into Yahoo
> is Oct 20. (??) I don’t recall the deadline when EVERYTHING WILL BE
> REMOVED. Please share that date again. I feel like we need to get the info
> out that this is real, and not some kind of optional thing. Once data files
> are removed, they’re gone.
>
> I am willing help store some of the files. I have a pending health issue,
> though (waiting on test results), I will know (about Oct 25) if I have the
> time to help download files and store them.
>
> Should we ask for one person to step forward and take charge of this
> “transition.” ??
>
> Lois (& Darryl)
> 2001 Serengeti
>
>> On Oct 16, 2019, at 6:14 AM, bilmac36@... [Safarifriends]
>> wrote:
>>
>> I am not surprised by this. Though the lack of consideration to their
>> timetable is disturbing. Once upon a time Yahoo had a "My Garage" feature
>> where I had nearly 20 years of my personal maintenance records stored on
>> the various vehicles I've owned and maintained. Notes ranging from large
>> projects to the oil changes on motorcycles, coach,...basically all my
>> fossil fuel burning rubber tired mounted machines...and they just decided
>> to delete it one day! No notification, no nothing! My bad for not keeping
>> a personal file and backing it up to a hard drive.
>>
>> I do find this to be a piss pour business decision on their part though.
>> Since we typically all have to view the ads they populate on their site
>> when we go here to review materials. There are other players in this game,
>> but to back up some 20 years of information during a one week schedule may
>> be a bit much.
>>
>> Has anyone considered a divide and concur plan of action? I'd assume the
>> information will fit on a terabyte or less of digital space? Perhaps a
>> group of us can download certain portions and house until another open
>> format is found to house the entirety of years of information?
>>
>> r/wm
>> '95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally
>>
>>
>>
>
>
'
robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com

Post by robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com »

'I just posted a solution to the problem of Yahoo hosted Safari site going away as a new Topic. 
I don't see the topic appearing as yet, but there is a full explanation and what I am doing at present, which is the download of all the messages and files. I am currently at message 25,000+ , 2000 - 2014 and counting.
Please check this post if this interests you.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison

https://safaritoonces.org
'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'Lois (& Darryl)That is totally up to the founder/owner and moderator of this group..(we members have no say in what happens to his Yahoo group).Mel'96 Sahara

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Should we ask for one person to step forward and take charge of this “transition.” ??
Lois (& Darryl)2001 Serengeti

'
robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com

Post by robert.lewis.tl@gmail.com »

'As I posted, I have all the emails/posts so there will be no loss of information. Where to host the new site is up to the moderator but we will no loose anything. As per my post, I will make the link available to whoever wants to move the data to a new site. Or some sites do the transition for free and no upload from my link is necessary.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org

'
mel96safari

Groups io (was: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away)

Post by mel96safari »

'Have you seen what has happened to Slim Chestnut's Safari Coaches Yahoo group since he changed the name to SafariandDieselCoaches and moved it to groups.io, in Oct of 2011?

His once excellent Safari site has gone from nearly 700 messages a month, (in Dec of 2011), to as few  as 3 per month (in June of 2019).
i don't know if that is because of the change to groups io... or because of the highlighted portions of the following Group Description... (or because of Slim's personal attitude toward any member with who he disagrees.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SafariAndDieselCoaches main@... Group Description We are about Vintage as well as Safari/SMC manufactured coaches and similar DIESEL motor-coaches, and coach ownership. All members, new and old need to provide a photo of their coach manufacturer's placard with VIN and model info to expedite sharing. You do that by attaching a photo of the coach, the VIN placard, your names and why SADC is relevant for you! All new member apps need to email owner with their interest and year and model of coach and the placard photo. Once you are approved and make one approved post you become unmoderated until further action may be required. Dealers and employees of dealerships are not permitted.

Political Correctness is undesirable. Others may never see it "your" way on subjects like politics, religion and subjects which are touchy. If you feel someone has affronted you, ask them to clear it up via personal email not "on the air". Foul, language, nasty images or character attacks are prohibited. Please do not re-post chain mails unless you edit content removing the "send it to everyone you know" part. No long, link filled signatures on Posts please. Just the RV relevant stuff. Owner/Moderator decisions are final!

Members are responsible for remembering their password:-) The owner and moderators can not change it or see it. Each member maintains their own membership. It is recommended that members log in online periodically. Members with non diesel rigs that were on board before we became  "Vintage" oriented are welcome to stay but we will have little in the way of info for gasoline rigs! Over the road,"Greyhound" bus conversions are also welcome! Non-SMC, diesel coaches may be accepted on a case basis!  We will have an "OrphanCoaches" subgroup for them! We will be emphasizing diesel powered rigs in the future. We are down to earth folks here. The group owner and many members are pro America, the USA Constitution, and traditional Christian family values. We will remain firm on that. SC is not just a nuts and bolts, how to  forum. Share about your RV experiences and trips.

DISCLAIMER: Posts or uploads on regulated safety related issues and gear should include supporting quotes and links or other good documentation.This group corporately and its Owner and Moderators are not liable in any way for harm or loss.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mel'96 Sahara

'
Lois Lopez

Re: Groups io (was: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away)

Post by Lois Lopez »

'We also belong to this group, which relocated to group.io about 2(?) years ago.  I’m sure there are a number of others that belong to both these groups.  From my vantage point, the platform is an excellent one.  In my opinion, easier to use the yahoo - easier to access when you want to send a message, etc.  Maybe the size of the group has shrunk just because more people came onto this one and there was more activity.  It’s very hard for me to keep track of BOTH groups, and monitor the excellent information all the time.
Just a thought.
Lois & Darryl2001 Serengeti
On Oct 17, 2019, at 12:37 PM, stuplich@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
Have you seen what has happened to Slim Chestnut's Safari Coaches Yahoo group since he changed the name to SafariandDieselCoaches and moved it to groups.io, in Oct of 2011?

His once excellent Safari site has gone from nearly 700 messages a month, (in Dec of 2011), to as few  as 3 per month (in June of 2019).
i don't know if that is because of the change to groups io... or because of the highlighted portions of the following Group Description... (or because of Slim's personal attitude toward any member with who he disagrees.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SafariAndDieselCoaches main@...Group DescriptionWe are about Vintage as well as Safari/SMC manufactured coaches and similar DIESEL motor-coaches, and coach ownership. All members, new and old need to provide a photo of their coach manufacturer's placard with VIN and model info to expedite sharing. You do that by attaching a photo of the coach, the VIN placard, your names and why SADC is relevant for you! All new member apps need to email owner with their interest and year and model of coach and the placard photo. Once you are approved and make one approved post you become unmoderated until further action may be required. Dealers and employees of dealerships are not permitted.

Political Correctness is undesirable. Others may never see it "your" way on subjects like politics, religion and subjects which are touchy. If you feel someone has affronted you, ask them to clear it up via personal email not "on the air". Foul, language, nasty images or character attacks are prohibited. Please do not re-post chain mails unless you edit content removing the "send it to everyone you know" part. No long, link filled signatures on Posts please. Just the RV relevant stuff. Owner/Moderator decisions are final!

Members are responsible for remembering their password:-) The owner and moderators can not change it or see it. Each member maintains their own membership. It is recommended that members log in online periodically. Members with non diesel rigs that were on board before we became  "Vintage" oriented are welcome to stay but we will have little in the way of info for gasoline rigs! Over the road,"Greyhound" bus conversions are also welcome! Non-SMC, diesel coaches may be accepted on a case basis!  We will have an "OrphanCoaches" subgroup for them! We will be emphasizing diesel powered rigs in the future. We are down to earth folks here. The group owner and many members are pro America, the USA Constitution, and traditional Christian family values. We will remain firm on that. SC is not just a nuts and bolts, how to  forum. Share about your RV experiences and trips.

DISCLAIMER: Posts or uploads on regulated safety related issues and gear should include supporting quotes and links or other good documentation.This group corporately and its Owner and Moderators are not liable in any way for harm or loss.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mel'96 Sahara

'
Jumpnjoe59

Post by Jumpnjoe59 »

'There are multiple threads going on about how to move forward.  I wanted to state that I also would be willing to pay towards a solution.  Not sure if this is the right thread to state this but wanted to put it out there.   
Joe/1997 Sahara 3550/3126/6 Spd'
loislop

Post by loislop »

'I, for one, am extremely appreciative of Slim's knowledge and insight on some issues that others havent responded to.  I learned working with thousands of people after natural disasters -- we're all different, and we all have worth.  I've met and dealt with difficult people after floods and hurricanes for 25 years.  On the other hand, Slims desire was to help others.  We cant help our personalities.  We are who we are.  
Many thanks to Slim and everyone who has given so much of their time to help those of us who needed it!
Lois & Darryl2001 Serengeti

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "ondaflore@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 10/18/19 6:54 AM (GMT-08:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away

Mel,
I'd say that Slim is what happened to Slim's site.  He had the same rules and requirements on his yahoo group.  His move was a knee jerk reaction to Yahoo's occasionally balky behavior.  His insistence on signing all of his posts as "Owner", then begging people for funding to support "HIS" site was, and is a turn off for me and likely for many others.  Who wants to fool with a site with no sense of community?

Bob2001 ZanzibarHuntsville, AL

Have you seen what has happened to Slim Chestnut's Safari Coaches Yahoo group since he changed the name to SafariandDieselCoaches and moved it to groups.io, in Oct of 2011?

SafariAndDieselCoaches main@...Group DescriptionWe are about Vintage as well as Safari/SMC manufactured coaches and similar DIESEL motor-coaches, and coach ownership. All members, new and old need to provide a photo of their coach manufacturer's placard with VIN and model info to expedite sharing. You do that by attaching a photo of the coach, the VIN placard, your names and why SADC is relevant for you! All new member apps need to email owner with their interest and year and model of coach and the placard photo. Once you are approved and make one approved post you become unmoderated until further action may be required. Dealers and employees of dealerships are not permitted.

DISCLAIMER: Posts or uploads on regulated safety related issues and gear should include supporting quotes and links or other good documentation.This group corporately and its Owner and Moderators are not liable in any way for harm or loss.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mel'96 Sahara

'
mel96safari

Post by mel96safari »

'Bob
I  agree.(I have never meet Slim but both his attitude and personality seemed to have changed in early summer 2015). 

Hopefully Mr,G will be able to do what is necessary to save Safarifriends... (before the "stuff hits the fan" on October 28, 2019).
Mel'96 Sahara

Mel,
I'd say that Slim is what happened to Slim's site.  He had the same rules and requirements on his yahoo group.  His move was a knee jerk reaction to Yahoo's occasionally balky behavior.  His insistence on signing all of his posts as "Owner", then begging people for funding to support "HIS" site was, and is a turn off for me and likely for many others.  Who wants to fool with a site with no sense of community?

Bob2001 ZanzibarHuntsville, AL

'
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

'Slim the Chest"NUT"  is a qualified nut case,and control freak. He censored me over a couple posts about paint. Many of you know I was in the autobody restoration business with BASF products my choice of paint which includes Diamont now sold under the RM moniker. Many of you know he knows every thing about everything. Most of you know Safaris are painted with Diamont which is a polyester based base coat clear coat system. It is very easy to use and easily shot outside with simple preparations. But Slim likened it to Dupont's IMRON a pure urethane formulated for the Airoplane industry, It is anything but user friendly highly toxic and not usable outside of a paint booth. It is not sandable nor polishable with out an inordinate amount of effort. I told him he did not know what he was talking about. Yes I could have been gentler but hey he is a big boy, thought he could take a frank disagreement, NOPE. He censored me completely. Said I could hang out but no more posts so I did for a while and posted answers privately and the found Safari Friends and watched his site evaporate. 
THANKS TO RG AND A GREAT SITE WELL MANAGED
Bill Edwards1999 Panther'