Re: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
bilmac36 .

Post by bilmac36 . »

'John, yea, I essentially agree with you as the "cloud" has become mainstream and folks (me included) do it without so much of a 3rd thought (I say this, as for my photos my 1st/2nd thoughts are I back all up to a local hard drive.) Now, hard drives, disc, floppies, CD's, dvd's, etc are all another story. A printed or painted picture we all know can and have lasted from 100 to hundreds of years. Magnetic storage media is an entirely different story. As a kid I recall seeing a picture of my great grandparents in their early 20's. Now I wonder will my grandkids be able to open and find pictures of any heirloom photos in the various digital storage media family members keep..anyway, I'm digressing and squirreling a bit here. The point is folks need to do some research and understand what they think may be a permanent storage solution is not necessarily the case. Things may have improved since some of my several year old research, but at one time those 8 tracks and cassettes with their magnetic tapes were thought to outlast the CD's and such. IRT my yahoo garage, man it was the greatest thing since sliced bread for me. I kept good notes of the work, oddities, etc on my vehicles, and knew right where to find it for updating. These days I try to keep up an Excel spreadsheet of the various work I do on my herd of vehicles. I follow that up with redundancy of emailing it to myself. So one day when all this "free" email service goes away I'll hopefully have a local copy as well. 
Respectfully, Willie, 1995 40’ Continental, 8.3L Cummins, Allison 6 spd,   Owned since 1999/2000. Central Time Zone. 
On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 1:18 PM TD sdjhtm@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

r/wm,

It is interesting that you point out the yahoo garage. So many are
dependent on this electronic cyber stuff and then on day it's all
gone. Now days everyone is foolishly dependent on the so called
"CLOUD'', I can just see, a decade or two down the road, people's
precious photos will be all gone without warning, or if they do give a
warning, it will be "pay big bucks bucko or you will lose all your
precious photos and files...

John
'95 Serengeti Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.

On 10/16/19, bilmac36@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> I am not surprised by this. Though the lack of consideration to their
> timetable is disturbing. Once upon a time Yahoo had a "My Garage" feature
> where I had nearly 20 years of my personal maintenance records stored on the
> various vehicles I've owned and maintained. Notes ranging from large
> projects to the oil changes on motorcycles, coach,...basically all my fossil
> fuel burning rubber tired mounted machines...and they just decided to delete
> it one day! No notification, no nothing! My bad for not keeping a personal
> file and backing it up to a hard drive. I do find this to be a piss pour
> business decision on their part though. Since we typically all have to view
> the ads they populate on their site when we go here to review materials.
> There are other players in this game, but to back up some 20 years of
> information during a one week schedule may be a bit much.
>
>
> Has anyone considered a divide and concur plan of action? I'd assume the
> information will fit on a terabyte or less of digital space? Perhaps a group
> of us can download certain portions and house until another open format is
> found to house the entirety of years of information?
>
>
> r/wm
> '95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally
>
>
>
'
Mark Cushman

Post by Mark Cushman »

'I 2nd all that. 
Mark1999 Safari 32’

Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 18, 2019, at 3:16 PM, stuplich@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
?  
Bob
I  agree.(I have never meet Slim but both his attitude and personality seemed to have changed in early summer 2015). 

Hopefully Mr,G will be able to do what is necessary to save Safarifriends... (before the "stuff hits the fan" on October 28, 2019).
Mel'96 Sahara

---In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Mel,
I'd say that Slim is what happened to Slim's site.  He had the same rules and requirements on his yahoo group.  His move was a knee jerk reaction to Yahoo's occasionally balky behavior.  His insistence on signing all of his posts as "Owner", then begging people for funding to support "HIS" site was, and is a turn off for me and likely for many others.  Who wants to fool with a site with no sense of community?

Bob2001 ZanzibarHuntsville, AL

'
Robert Lewis

Post by Robert Lewis »

' A download link to all 40,000+ messages was sent out on this forum. They are now on the Amazon S3 cloud server and not likely to be lost. The server replicates across the European and US servers. There was also a program link included to use the data offline. You can export the records in csv format and possibly sql.
Robert and Bev Lewis2000 Safari Continental, since 20173126B Cat, 330hpMD3060 Allison
https://safaritoonces.org

On October 18, 2019 5:06:12 PM "'bilmac36 .' bilmac36@... [Safarifriends]" wrote:  
John, yea, I essentially agree with you as the "cloud" has become mainstream and folks (me included) do it without so much of a 3rd thought (I say this, as for my photos my 1st/2nd thoughts are I back all up to a local hard drive.) Now, hard drives, disc, floppies, CD's, dvd's, etc are all another story. A printed or painted picture we all know can and have lasted from 100 to hundreds of years.. Magnetic storage media is an entirely different story. As a kid I recall seeing a picture of my great grandparents in their early 20's. Now I wonder will my grandkids be able to open and find pictures of any heirloom photos in the various digital storage media family members keep..anyway, I'm digressing and squirreling a bit here. The point is folks need to do some research and understand what they think may be a permanent storage solution is not necessarily the case. Things may have improved since some of my several year old research, but at one time those 8 tracks and cassettes with their magnetic tapes were thought to outlast the CD's and such. IRT my yahoo garage, man it was the greatest thing since sliced bread for me. I kept good notes of the work, oddities, etc on my vehicles, and knew right where to find it for updating. These days I try to keep up an Excel spreadsheet of the various work I do on my herd of vehicles. I follow that up with redundancy of emailing it to myself. So one day when all this "free" email service goes away I'll hopefully have a local copy as well. 
Respectfully, Willie, 1995 40’ Continental, 8.3L Cummins, Allison 6 spd,   Owned since 1999/2000. Central Time Zone. 

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 1:18 PM TD sdjhtm@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

r/wm,

It is interesting that you point out the yahoo garage. So many are
dependent on this electronic cyber stuff and then on day it's all
gone. Now days everyone is foolishly dependent on the so called
"CLOUD'', I can just see, a decade or two down the road, people's
precious photos will be all gone without warning, or if they do give a
warning, it will be "pay big bucks bucko or you will lose all your
precious photos and files...

John
'95 Serengeti Cummins C8.3-300
Allison 6spd.

On 10/16/19, bilmac36@... [Safarifriends]
wrote:
> I am not surprised by this. Though the lack of consideration to their
> timetable is disturbing. Once upon a time Yahoo had a "My Garage" feature
> where I had nearly 20 years of my personal maintenance records stored on the
> various vehicles I've owned and maintained. Notes ranging from large
> projects to the oil changes on motorcycles, coach,...basically all my fossil
> fuel burning rubber tired mounted machines...and they just decided to delete
> it one day! No notification, no nothing! My bad for not keeping a personal
> file and backing it up to a hard drive. I do find this to be a piss pour
> business decision on their part though. Since we typically all have to view
> the ads they populate on their site when we go here to review materials.
> There are other players in this game, but to back up some 20 years of
> information during a one week schedule may be a bit much.
>
>
> Has anyone considered a divide and concur plan of action? I'd assume the
> information will fit on a terabyte or less of digital space? Perhaps a group
> of us can download certain portions and house until another open format is
> found to house the entirety of years of information?
>
>
> r/wm
> '95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally
>
>
>

'
Craig Burrell

Post by Craig Burrell »

' Bill, My 93 cont. has some clear coat that is  off in spots. Is there a way of spraying some in the bad spots? maybe feathering the edge out and then spay it on. I know  it would not be great but the bad spots would blend in somewhat. Let me know what you think.
Thanks for all the help over the last few years. I am hoping to be full time in 9 months and may be calling for help.
craig 93 cont. 8.3  6 sp
On Friday, October 18, 2019, 05:35:36 PM CDT, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Slim the Chest"NUT"  is a qualified nut case,and control freak. He censored me over a couple posts about paint. Many of you know I was in the autobody restoration business with BASF products my choice of paint which includes Diamont now sold under the RM moniker. Many of you know he knows every thing about everything. Most of you know Safaris are painted with Diamont which is a polyester based base coat clear coat system. It is very easy to use and easily shot outside with simple preparations. But Slim likened it to Dupont's IMRON a pure urethane formulated for the Airoplane industry, It is anything but user friendly highly toxic and not usable outside of a paint booth. It is not sandable nor polishable with out an inordinate amount of effort. I told him he did not know what he was talking about. Yes I could have been gentler but hey he is a big boy, thought he could take a frank disagreement, NOPE. He censored me completely. Said I could hang out but no more posts so I did for a while and posted answers privately and the found Safari Friends and watched his site evaporate. 
THANKS TO RG AND A GREAT SITE WELL MANAGED
Bill Edwards1999 Panther '
Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards »

' Craig,  You can but good money after bad. You will just spend it again later. I swill elaborate more later   b  
On Saturday, October 19, 2019, 07:45:46 PM MDT, Craig Burrell technolog1@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Bill, My 93 cont. has some clear coat that is  off in spots. Is there a way of spraying some in the bad spots? maybe feathering the edge out and then spay it on. I know  it would not be great but the bad spots would blend in somewhat. Let me know what you think.
Thanks for all the help over the last few years. I am hoping to be full time in 9 months and may be calling for help.
craig 93 cont. 8.3  6 sp On Friday, October 18, 2019, 05:35:36 PM CDT, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Slim the Chest"NUT"  is a qualified nut case,and control freak. He censored me over a couple posts about paint. Many of you know I was in the autobody restoration business with BASF products my choice of paint which includes Diamont now sold under the RM moniker. Many of you know he knows every thing about everything. Most of you know Safaris are painted with Diamont which is a polyester based base coat clear coat system. It is very easy to use and easily shot outside with simple preparations. But Slim likened it to Dupont's IMRON a pure urethane formulated for the Airoplane industry, It is anything but user friendly highly toxic and not usable outside of a paint booth. It is not sandable nor polishable with out an inordinate amount of effort. I told him he did not know what he was talking about. Yes I could have been gentler but hey he is a big boy, thought he could take a frank disagreement, NOPE. He censored me completely. Said I could hang out but no more posts so I did for a while and posted answers privately and the found Safari Friends and watched his site evaporate. 
Bill Edwards1999 Panther '
david

Post by david »

'Craig,  Go to Youtube and search ‘spray on clear coat’.  You’ll find all sorts of videos on how to do what you want.  I’ve got the same issue with my ’98 and have bought a can but not done it yet.  David  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2019 6:46 PM
To: Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends]
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Re: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away    Bill, My 93 cont. has some clear coat that is  off in spots. Is there a way of spraying some in the bad spots? maybe feathering the edge out and then spay it on. I know  it would not be great but the bad spots would blend in somewhat. Let me know what you think.  Thanks for all the help over the last few years. I am hoping to be full time in 9 months and may be calling for help.  craig 93 cont. 8.3  6 spOn Friday, October 18, 2019, 05:35:36 PM CDT, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:      Slim the Chest"NUT"  is a qualified nut case,and control freak. He censored me over a couple posts about paint. Many of you know I was in the autobody restoration business with BASF products my choice of paint which includes Diamont now sold under the RM moniker. Many of you know he knows every thing about everything. Most of you know Safaris are painted with Diamont which is a polyester based base coat clear coat system. It is very easy to use and easily shot outside with simple preparations. But Slim likened it to Dupont's IMRON a pure urethane formulated for the Airoplane industry, It is anything but user friendly highly toxic and not usable outside of a paint booth. It is not sandable nor polishable with out an inordinate amount of effort. I told him he did not know what he was talking about. Yes I could have been gentler but hey he is a big boy, thought he could take a frank disagreement, NOPE. He censored me completely. Said I could hang out but no more posts so I did for a while and posted answers privately and the found Safari Friends and watched his site evaporate.   THANKS TO RG AND A GREAT SITE WELL MANAGED  Bill Edwards1999 Panther'
waspph6

Post by waspph6 »

'I sprayed imron a few times back in the old days and the stuff was nasty! Even wearing a respirator wasn't enough in a shop with no booth. The Diamont is very nice stuff, I repainted a few areas on my 94 and was able to shoot it outside (between the rain and humidity) its not ideal but you can "fix" a multitude of sins after the fact. I unfortunately ran out of time and didn't get everything done before we headed out full time so now its a challenge to get stuff done on the road.
Hal 94 Serengeti duo door Cummins 8.3 and Allison trans'
Dave Johnson

Post by Dave Johnson »

' Good to know...this one of the problems I need to address on my '98 Sahara, and was not looking forward to removing ALL the clear coat and probably the paint as well... Thanks!
Dave in Esmont, Va'98 Safari Sahara 300 Cat / Allison
On Sunday, October 20, 2019, 09:22:59 AM EDT, 'David' davidlip@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Craig,  Go to Youtube and search ‘spray on clear coat’.  You’ll find all sorts of videos on how to do what you want.  I’ve got the same issue with my ’98 and have bought a can but not done it yet.  David  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2019 6:46 PM
To: Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends]
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Re: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away    Bill, My 93 cont. has some clear coat that is  off in spots. Is there a way of spraying some in the bad spots? maybe feathering the edge out and then spay it on. I know  it would not be great but the bad spots would blend in somewhat. Let me know what you think.  Thanks for all the help over the last few years. I am hoping to be full time in 9 months and may be calling for help.  craig 93 cont. 8.3  6 spOn Friday, October 18, 2019, 05:35:36 PM CDT, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:      Slim the Chest"NUT"  is a qualified nut case,and control freak. He censored me over a couple posts about paint. Many of you know I was in the autobody restoration business with BASF products my choice of paint which includes Diamont now sold under the RM moniker. Many of you know he knows every thing about everything. Most of you know Safaris are painted with Diamont which is a polyester based base coat clear coat system. It is very easy to use and easily shot outside with simple preparations. But Slim likened it to Dupont's IMRON a pure urethane formulated for the Airoplane industry, It is anything but user friendly highly toxic and not usable outside of a paint booth. It is not sandable nor polishable with out an inordinate amount of effort. I told him he did not know what he was talking about. Yes I could have been gentler but hey he is a big boy, thought he could take a frank disagreement, NOPE. He censored me completely. Said I could hang out but no more posts so I did for a while and posted answers privately and the found Safari Friends and watched his site evaporate.   THANKS TO RG AND A GREAT SITE WELL MANAGED  Bill Edwards1999 Panther '
mel96safari

Changing the subject (was:Yahoo hosted Safari site going away

Post by mel96safari »

'Why the 4 posts, (#43404, 43406, 43409 & 43410), about "clear coat", "spray" and "paint" when the Subject  "Yahoo hosted Safari site going away" is so easy to change?Mel'96 Sahara

'
technolog1

Post by technolog1 »

'Ok, thanks

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 10/20/19 8:22 AM (GMT-06:00) To: "Craig Burrell technolog1@... [Safarifriends]" Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Re: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away

Craig,  You can but good money after bad. You will just spend it again later. I swill elaborate more later   b  
On Saturday, October 19, 2019, 07:45:46 PM MDT, Craig Burrell technolog1@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Bill, My 93 cont. has some clear coat that is  off in spots. Is there a way of spraying some in the bad spots? maybe feathering the edge out and then spay it on. I know  it would not be great but the bad spots would blend in somewhat. Let me know what you think.
craig 93 cont. 8.3  6 sp On Friday, October 18, 2019, 05:35:36 PM CDT, Bill Edwards billedwardsrs@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Bill Edwards1999 Panther
'