Re: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
wolfe102001

Yahoo hosted Safari site going away

Post by wolfe102001 »

'Am I mis-reading this or are we about to be "homeless"?
What are the options? 

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true'
John Rowin

Post by John Rowin »

' This can’t be. What would be the reasoning?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
On Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 4:28 PM, bawolfe10@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
Am I mis-reading this or are we about to be "homeless"?
What are the options? 

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true
'
wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

'Look at the banner line at the top of this page and follow their link to a Q&A-- I have no more info than that:
Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019. Learn More '
Mr. G.

Post by Mr. G. »

'
'
W Taylor Hudson

Post by W Taylor Hudson »

'Looks like we might need a succession plan?   Bit heads to the rescue!v/r,
Taylor Hudson‘98 Safari Serengeti (4060),  CAT 3126acquired 2018
On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 6:17 PM bawolfe10@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

What are the options? 

'
Lois Lopez

Post by Lois Lopez »

'Thanks for sharing the link from Yahoo.  I’m amazed that Yahoo didn’t send emails to the Groups Owners, given the drop dead date of Oct 21 to upload files.  More concerning is the drop dead date when ALL of SafariGroups’ attachments, and years of valuable information will just be deleted!  That’s just unfathomable that Yahoo could do this to all the people who have been utilizing this platform.
I will contribute to pay for another platform and move our files.  With this short timeframe, we may need to “hire” some help too??
Lois&Darryl
On Oct 15, 2019, at 4:03 PM, 'Mr. G.' prieye@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

This is the first I’ve heard of this also. I have not received a moderator specific email announcing or explaining same. RG  Sent from Mail for Windows 10  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com  on behalf of John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:22:18 PM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com 
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Yahoo hosted Safari site going away This can’t be. What would be the reasoning?

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 4:28 PM, bawolfe10@... [Safarifriends] wrote: 
What are the options?  

'
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

'I am not surprised by this. Though the lack of consideration to their timetable is disturbing. Once upon a time Yahoo had a "My Garage" feature where I had nearly 20 years of my personal maintenance records stored on the various vehicles I've owned and maintained. Notes ranging from large projects to the oil changes on motorcycles, coach,...basically all my fossil fuel burning rubber tired mounted machines...and they just decided to delete it one day! No notification, no nothing! My bad for not keeping a personal file and backing it up to a hard drive. I do find this to be a piss pour business decision on their part though. Since we typically all have to view the ads they populate on their site when we go here to review materials. There are other players in this game, but to back up some 20 years of information during a one week schedule may be a bit much.
Has anyone considered a divide and concur plan of action? I'd assume the information will fit on a terabyte or less of digital space? Perhaps a group of us can download certain portions and house until another open format is found to house the entirety of years of information?
r/wm'95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally
'
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
John Rowin

Post by John Rowin »

' Please let me know how much and to who (within reason).  All I can do about most problems is throw $ at it. 

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 8:14 AM, bilmac36@... [Safarifriends] wrote:  
I am not surprised by this. Though the lack of consideration to their timetable is disturbing. Once upon a time Yahoo had a "My Garage" feature where I had nearly 20 years of my personal maintenance records stored on the various vehicles I've owned and maintained. Notes ranging from large projects to the oil changes on motorcycles, coach,...basically all my fossil fuel burning rubber tired mounted machines...and they just decided to delete it one day! No notification, no nothing! My bad for not keeping a personal file and backing it up to a hard drive. I do find this to be a piss pour business decision on their part though. Since we typically all have to view the ads they populate on their site when we go here to review materials. There are other players in this game, but to back up some 20 years of information during a one week schedule may be a bit much.
Has anyone considered a divide and concur plan of action? I'd assume the information will fit on a terabyte or less of digital space? Perhaps a group of us can download certain portions and house until another open format is found to house the entirety of years of information?
r/wm'95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally
'
david

Post by david »

'I also would be willing to pay to migrate the site.  David  From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:28 PM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Yahoo hosted Safari site going away   
Thanks for sharing the link from Yahoo.  I’m amazed that Yahoo didn’t send emails to the Groups Owners, given the drop dead date of Oct 21 to upload files.  More concerning is the drop dead date when ALL of SafariGroups’ attachments, and years of valuable information will just be deleted!  That’s just unfathomable that Yahoo could do this to all the people who have been utilizing this platform.  I will contribute to pay for another platform and move our files.  With this short timeframe, we may need to “hire” some help too??  Lois&Darryl  

On Oct 15, 2019, at 4:03 PM, 'Mr. G.' prieye@... [Safarifriends] wrote:    This is the first I’ve heard of this also. I have not received a moderator specific email announcing or explaining same. RG Sent from [url=https://go..microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986]Mail[/url] for Windows 10 From: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com  on behalf of John Rowin johndrowin@... [Safarifriends]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:22:18 PM
To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com 
Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Yahoo hosted Safari site going away This can’t be. What would be the reasoning?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhoneOn Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 4:28 PM, bawolfe10@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
   Am I mis-reading this or are we about to be "homeless"?  What are the options?    https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true
   '
rsemko2077@gmail.com

Post by rsemko2077@gmail.com »

'Would gladly contribute to funding another site and help pay the charges to transfer all the data. This resource is too valuable to lose. 
Ron Semko1998 Safari Ivory3126 B CAT 6 Spd Allison'