Re: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
technolog1

Post by technolog1 »

'Thanks for info

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "waspph6@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 10/20/19 9:02 AM (GMT-06:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away

I sprayed imron a few times back in the old days and the stuff was nasty! Even wearing a respirator wasn't enough in a shop with no booth. The Diamont is very nice stuff, I repainted a few areas on my 94 and was able to shoot it outside (between the rain and humidity) its not ideal but you can "fix" a multitude of sins after the fact. I unfortunately ran out of time and didn't get everything done before we headed out full time so now its a challenge to get stuff done on the road.
Hal 94 Serengeti duo door Cummins 8.3 and Allison trans
'
lotosrggp1

Post by lotosrggp1 »

'It appears the only notice of the impending shut down is found on Yahoo, they don't care or want us!
As a possible can of worms, Perhaps IF Safari International were to set up an open their forum up (it really looks like a dying forum now) such as http://forum.dieselrvclub.org/index.php we would still have a place to share knowledge and not loose the expertise of Jim E and others. I may be wrong about this as I have a login.
Personally I would like to thank Mr G for safarfriends, hopefully he will find a way to keep it alive.
Trying to think out of the box,
Tom
97 Sahara 3550'
btpete

Post by btpete »

'It's been a while since my last post on this forum, and it wasn't until recently that I saw the thread about Yahoo shutting this group down. Since then I've seen efforts by others to preserve content prior to everything going dark, as well as discussion about how to move forward after the fact.
What I'd like to do now is propose a potential solution and path forward. As luck would have it, I was able to secure the Internet domain name safarifirends.org. I've set up a prototype forum using this domain name at https://safarifriends.org.

As a prototype, it does not have a great deal of customization in place, and none of the data that has been archived and made available by others in this group (thank you!) is imported as of yet, but it is fully functional for review and testing. Aside from the cost of keeping the domain name, there is no monetary expense, as the forum software and underlying operating system are both freely available open source. The site is currently hosted on a Linode VPS that is part of my cloud infrastructure, so it does not require additional hosting expense unless it is moved to some other platform; I'm able to absorb the cost of the domain name until such time as a better custodian is identified.
This could be either a short term solution while searching for something permanent, or it could be a longer term solution if members find it workable. Current admins/moderators would be encouraged to continue their roles if desired, as my day job would prevent me from offering a member experience that is as smooth and seamless as it can be.

I leave it to group members to review and comment. Personally, my preference is to see the group continue as a forum somewhere, even if this prototype is not the answer we're looking for.
Let me know what you think.
Brian
1998 Safari Continental 40'
330 Caterpillar 3126B"The Money Pit"

'
Brian

Cat 3126B 330 HP
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Boise, Idaho
Bilmac36

Post by Bilmac36 »

'Brian, I was getting ready to ask my son about the domain issue. I like the idea of your proposal. 
I had to do some reading and reviewing of both Virtual Private Server and the Linode company. As with all things on the World Wide Web I’m curious about security features surrounding the proposed forum.Thanks for taking the time to investigate and offer this proposal.R/Willie, Connie is ‘95 Continental, 8.3L, Ally 6spd Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 23, 2019, at 6:10 PM, btpete@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
?  
It's been a while since my last post on this forum, and it wasn't until recently that I saw the thread about Yahoo shutting this group down. Since then I've seen efforts by others to preserve content prior to everything going dark, as well as discussion about how to move forward after the fact.
What I'd like to do now is propose a potential solution and path forward. As luck would have it, I was able to secure the Internet domain name safarifirends.org. I've set up a prototype forum using this domain name at https://safarifriends.org.

As a prototype, it does not have a great deal of customization in place, and none of the data that has been archived and made available by others in this group (thank you!) is imported as of yet, but it is fully functional for review and testing. Aside from the cost of keeping the domain name, there is no monetary expense, as the forum software and underlying operating system are both freely available open source. The site is currently hosted on a Linode VPS that is part of my cloud infrastructure, so it does not require additional hosting expense unless it is moved to some other platform; I'm able to absorb the cost of the domain name until such time as a better custodian is identified.
This could be either a short term solution while searching for something permanent, or it could be a longer term solution if members find it workable. Current admins/moderators would be encouraged to continue their roles if desired, as my day job would prevent me from offering a member experience that is as smooth and seamless as it can be.

I leave it to group members to review and comment. Personally, my preference is to see the group continue as a forum somewhere, even if this prototype is not the answer we're looking for.
Brian

'
r/Willie
'95 Safari Continental, Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060
loislop

Post by loislop »

'This does sound like a good solution, though I'm not an expert.  Thank you so much.  Again, I would contribute to the domain name cost.  Compared to hosting a full.blown site, that is very affordable.  I appreciate everyone's I individual expertise.  BTW:  I, for one, will never seek to profit or advantage myself from all of you wonderful folks' knowledge, time, and effort in building the library of tools.  And we would be lost without them.
Thank you!Lois & Darryl'01 Serengeti

-------- Original message --------From: "btpete@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 10/23/19 9:23 AM (GMT-08:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away

It's been a while since my last post on this forum, and it wasn't until recently that I saw the thread about Yahoo shutting this group down. Since then I've seen efforts by others to preserve content prior to everything going dark, as well as discussion about how to move forward after the fact.

Brian

'
wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

'As I posted at the beginning of this thread, the gentleman who VERY successfully moved two large RV groups (Diesel RV Club and ForeForum) from Yahoo has offered his free help if anyone wants it.
If that would help, contact me.  You can certainly PM me on either of those sites or the FMCA Forum site-- I am moderator of all three.  But the computer part is NOT my forte.
Brett
'
Colin Caldwell

Post by Colin Caldwell »

'I would be lost without the invaluable information that Safari Friends have provided. I too think having our own domain and website would be a great solution to this problem.Thank you Brian for securing safarifriends.org.
97 Sahara in need of on going maintenance 
Colin Caldwell97 Sahara that always requires work

Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 24, 2019, at 5:42 AM, loislop loislop@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

This does sound like a good solution, though I'm not an expert.  Thank you so much.  Again, I would contribute to the domain name cost.  Compared to hosting a full..blown site, that is very affordable.  I appreciate everyone's I individual expertise.  BTW:  I, for one, will never seek to profit or advantage myself from all of you wonderful folks' knowledge, time, and effort in building the library of tools.  And we would be lost without them.
Thank you!Lois & Darryl'01 Serengeti

-------- Original message --------From: "btpete@... [Safarifriends]" Date: 10/23/19 9:23 AM (GMT-08:00) To: Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Safarifriends] Re: Yahoo hosted Safari site going away

This could be either a short term solution while searching for something permanent, or it could be a longer term solution if members find it workable.. Current admins/moderators would be encouraged to continue their roles if desired, as my day job would prevent me from offering a member experience that is as smooth and seamless as it can be.

Brian

'
btpete

Post by btpete »

'RE: R/Willie question about security -- there a a few layers in place, but nothing excessive. The standard security controls common to most such forums are in place i.e. access control (approval required for new registrations), admin permissions, moderator permissions, etc; the site itself uses HTTPS (the lock on the browser address bar) so communications between your browser and the site are encrypted; admin passwords are longs and complex; the underlying OS is a Linux platform, which is relatively more secure compared to Windows; and the Linode VPS platform is secure and robust without the complexity that makes it easier to inadvertently do something that will decrease security.
More can be done, of course, but there comes a time when security intersects the user experience, and for many of us, having to do something like type in a username, password and CAPTCHA every time we want to write a post or upload a file could mean skipping the activity altogether. I do not personally put protected information out in forums, so my comfort level with fewer security controls is correspondingly higher. As with so much of today's world, it comes down to personal preference and as always, YMMV.
'
Brian

Cat 3126B 330 HP
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Boise, Idaho
btpete

Post by btpete »

'Brett, can you put me in touch with the guru you mentioned? My email is btpete@....'
Brian

Cat 3126B 330 HP
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Boise, Idaho
robertfury@gmail.com

Post by robertfury@gmail.com »

'To each their own, but.....

Nothing is free in life. Storing info isn’t free. Managing a site isn’t free. Time isn’t free.

Given that, the one sure way to ensure that the valuable info on this site is lost is to insist that none of it be used to profit, ie recoup costs including that of time.

I have saved innumerable dollars by using this site, and my labor, to repair my RV. That has value. By insisting that no one use it to profit is not seeing the forest for the trees, in my opinion. It limits the options to continue this site. It limits those who will step up. And in the end, it will limit the information from being distributed, which I thought was the entire point. And losing the site to the the purists who demand no one profit, will in the end be far more costly tho those trying to repair their Safari than the minimum costs they would incur to keep the site going.

Food for thought.

Robert Fury
1994 Safari Continental'