Re: airbag question?

Staging area for content imported from the old Yahoo group. This forum is LOCKED. Moderators may edit content and relocate to other forums as appropriate.
robertcosmar

airbag question?

Post by robertcosmar »

'
Is it possible to change worn airbags in an RV park lot? In other words can a mechanic do it without a hoist of some kind? We are waiting for a gentleman from Georgia to come down in November to see if he wants to buy it and haul it to another location.

The place where we are staying wants us to move it in 4 days to another lot in the park. We have been told by 2 mechanics that it is dangerous, but not sure how dangerous. Any suggests for this nightmare would be helpful. Having it repaired would most likely break the bank financially, but I don't know if we have a choice.

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar'
bilmac36 .

Post by bilmac36 . »

'Hi, In regards to moving the coach to another spot w/in the RV park, I'd think you should be ok. To my knowledge airbags are typically supplemental suspension to some type of mechanical spring system, ie coil and or leaf. Hence you should still have some type of suspension remaining and for only a short drive you should be ok. Are you able to climb under the coach to verify what you are being told? And see if the existing bags are ruptured, etc? I'm sure others will chime in who have airbag systems on their coach and can provide more definitive advice. 
Respectfully, Willie, 1995 40’ Continental, 8.3L Cummins, Allison 6 spd,   Owned since 1999/2000. Central Time Zone. 
On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 11:53 AM robertcosmar@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Is it possible to change worn airbags in an RV park lot? In other words can a mechanic do it without a hoist of some kind? We are waiting for a gentleman from Georgia to come down in November to see if he wants to buy it and haul it to another location.

The place where we are staying wants us to move it in 4 days to another lot in the park. We have been told by 2 mechanics that it is dangerous, but not sure how dangerous. Any suggests for this nightmare would be helpful. Having it repaired would most likely break the bank financially, but I don't know if we have a choice.

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar
'
Paul Pecnik

Post by Paul Pecnik »

'Are the air bags holding air at this point
On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 9:53 AM robertcosmar@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar
'
wolfe102001

Post by wolfe102001 »

'Sorry, the statement immediately above is  very likely INCORRECT.
Your coach has full air suspension (unless one of the very last with Torsilastic suspension).
If full air suspension, you will need someone to LOOK to see if you have clearance on suspension and body components with no air in the bags. Check with wheels at full lock as well as straight ahead.

BUT, first question is "what is wrong with the bag(s)?  Unless a massive leak, you may be able to air up enough  do drive that short distance.
'
Dwayne

Post by Dwayne »

'I think so. Use leveling jacks to jack up then use jack stands for safety. Unbolt and replace airbags 

Dwayne Knoll
On Oct 16, 2019, at 9:53 AM, robertcosmar@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
?

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar '
Marcel Turmenne

Post by Marcel Turmenne »

'I Replaced my front air springs on my 03 Safari Sahara a few weeks ago. I Took off the front tires and blocked the frame for safety reasons. The original springs were unavailable and i was able to to match them up from Michigan Truck Spring.  I did have to drill a new hole in the spring upper support as the new spring had a different location for the airline connection. Did the job in my backyard. Took about a days labor.  Getting the spring matched up and delivered took about three days.  Good Luck!  Marcel
On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 3:58 PM Dwayne knollibe@... [Safarifriends] wrote:

I think so. Use leveling jacks to jack up then use jack stands for safety. Unbolt and replace airbags 

Dwayne Knoll
On Oct 16, 2019, at 9:53 AM, robertcosmar@... [Safarifriends] wrote:
?

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

2000 Safari Zanzibar
'